Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#18139 - Fri Mar 29 2002 04:26 PM Internet Explorer
ScottD Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bletchley
Whilst I am serving the Net I sometimes have a certain problem that occurs. In the top left hand corner of the browser are three arrows pointing left, down and right that allows one to access previous webpages that have been visited. One can click on the left pointing arrow to go through previously accessed webpages one by one. Or click the downward pointing arrow to list some the the previously accessed webpages. At some point the number of previously visited webpages is reduced to just one only allowing me to backtrack to the very previous webpage visited to the one I am currently on. Why does this happen ? I hope I haven't made this problem sound too complicated. I do tend to prattle on aimlessly. Any idead will be greatly appreciated.
[Wink]

#18140 - Fri Mar 29 2002 05:51 PM Re: Internet Explorer
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
If I am understanding you correctly you can go back and back until you arrive a the first site you visited at the beginning of the current session - is this what you mean?

#18141 - Fri Mar 29 2002 06:48 PM Re: Internet Explorer
ScottD Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Bletchley
I mean't entirely the opposite. I CAN'T go back and back. I am able to go back by ONLY ONE and no more. This problem just arises all of a sudden for no apparent reason. [Confused]

#18142 - Fri Mar 29 2002 10:51 PM Re: Internet Explorer
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
can you still go back by clicking on History though?

#18143 - Sun Mar 31 2002 07:45 PM Re: Internet Explorer
Bannockburn Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bridgnorth Shropshire England
ScottD,

It is probably a month or more ago that a similar problem to yours was posted either in AskFunTrivia, or here in "I Need An Answer" within the Forums

On that occasion the problem was that the member asked "why does my BACK BUTTON suddenly become inactive"

I am by no means a computer expert, but ventured to suggest that it was a problem I had previously experienced which took me some time to fathom out.

My suggestion ( rightly or wrongly ) was as follows:

In the writing of HTML a hyper text link can be made in such a way that your browser stays "open" and transfers you to the next site / page. Alternatively the link can be written in that it opens a new "browser window".

Your "back" "forward "up" "down" buttons will only work on the "open window" so you can not therefore return to where you originally started unless you have picked up the point where the new window was introduced via the HTML and as you work back you must therefore exit the 2nd window via the "X" on the top right corner to return to your original window.

Like yourself I tend to "prattle on aimlessly" and will willingly concede that this might not be your problem. Not doubt more qualified "computerers" will offer you more sound advice.

As I did last time, I will try to find a typical site, and will be in touch.

Kindest Regards

Bannockburn

[ 03-31-2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Bannockburn ]

#18144 - Sun Mar 31 2002 08:25 PM Re: Internet Explorer
Bannockburn Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bridgnorth Shropshire England
ScottD,

Here is an example of my earlier post which I would like to stress again is not necessarily the answer to your problem.

Please visit this site:

http://www.baseball-links.com/

A little way down the left hand side you will see a link to "Henderson finally signs with BoSox".

If you click on that link, then a new browser window is opened . In my case it opens this new window at 1/2 size, but this is not always the case, and were it to open in anyones browser at full size then they would hardly notice that they had moved on to a new browser window. If you were to move on from there via another link then your "back button" for sure would only show "one back".

Trust this might be of some help.

Kindest Regards

Bannockburn

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29