Terms of Use

Topic Options
#18242 - Sat Apr 20 2002 03:37 PM Computer Virus
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Having just been invaded but not affected but made me wonder

A question to the computer buffs out there

Can a Computer Virus(of any sort)be received and activated by a cookie from a web site.

#18243 - Sun Apr 21 2002 04:36 AM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Northern California
Yes, Fosse they can invade your hard drive and actually damage it. It is called spyware and there is a way to get rid of it. If you need that information let me know and we will talk further.
tazz

#18244 - Sun Apr 21 2002 11:51 PM Re: Computer Virus
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Hi Tazz - can we keep this in the thread as I'm sure a lot more will be interested in your answer.

How does the cookie do it's work?

#18245 - Sun Apr 21 2002 05:14 PM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Sure Fosse keep it in the thread. As I said I fixed my computer the other night and last night I went and fixed my Best Friends computer but I found that without the actual links to where you need to go to get the neccessary help it might not be so easy for everybody, Is there a way that I can attach the links on the board here so that we can make it easy on everyone. Then I will explain exactly how to do it so eveyrbody will be able to get rid of what Mircrosoft people call the Trogan.
Tazzly

Actually I just found the url insert buttom so let me get it all together and you will have it soon, I just wanted to respond for you! [Big Grin]

#18246 - Sun Apr 21 2002 05:34 PM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Okay Fosse, here is the exact web address that all will need to fix this evil doer! Everybody should (take it from experience) print the instructions out as they can be confusing to have them on your computer and try to get to the other sites to download what you will need to fix your PC. If anyone has any questions or problems please post them and I will try to get back to them quickly! Good Luck. It woked wonders for my PC!!!!!!!!!!

web page

Take Care
Tazzly [Razz]

#18247 - Sun Apr 21 2002 08:29 PM Re: Computer Virus
QZ izzi Offline
Prolific

Loc: the amusement arcade of life
Really helpful information there tazzly, thank you. I'm sure it will be of use to many of us.

#18248 - Sun Apr 21 2002 10:39 PM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Cool, I know that this is a wide spread problem from what I understand about the articles I have read on the Internet about this viris, and the worse thing about it all is that most people don't realize they have it until it is to late. I hope that this can save our trivia population from computer crashes....... [Big Grin]

#18249 - Mon Apr 22 2002 01:00 PM Re: Computer Virus
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Thanks Tazzly,

I have a firewall and Virus Check installed. It was a general question provoked by an e-mail virus (detected and repelled)

Thanks for the info

John (fosse4)

#18250 - Mon Apr 22 2002 05:47 PM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Hey John, you are very welcome! I would like to let people know for this specific virus that I have been talking about and gave the web address for. Getting the software from that website is necessary. Microsoft people wrote in the article that AD-aware virus protection is the only known source for killing this specific virus which they are calling Trogan! Just wanted to reiderate that so that if any one needs the info they can get this software. Oh, and by the way downloading the software and running it is free!!!!!!! Thats always nice!! LOL< [Wink]

#18251 - Tue Apr 23 2002 10:58 AM Re: Computer Virus
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Hi Tazzly - LOL? see e-mail.

Thanks for the info, ran the programme mainly out of curiosity as I do take extra care as my e-mails go literally around the world.
You didn't mention that after taking an eternity to read it would take an eternity to run.

Interesting though the number of sites which came up on the list - surely they can't all be a virus carrier?

#18252 - Mon Apr 29 2002 03:45 PM Re: Computer Virus
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Actually Fosse, the reaon that alot of the websites that you may have seen once running the program, may just have "spyware" content. This supposedly is not really a virus but rather a type of third party invasion into your computer to try and sell your information to other sources. This is why they give you the option of keeping or getting rid of the components that are found. And the LOL see my e-mail!!

Chat later
Tazzly [Wink]

#18253 - Tue Apr 30 2002 02:11 PM Re: Computer Virus
hiendohar Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Seattle, USA
quote:
Can a Computer Virus(of any sort)be received and activated by a cookie from a web site.
Cookies DO NOT cause or carry viruses. In order for a virus to be activated, it has to be inside a file that is executed such a ".exe" program or a Microsoft Office document.

Cookies are not executable code, but simply tags that your browser sends to a web site when it requests a page or posts a form.

[ 04-30-2002, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: hiendohar ]

#18254 - Wed May 01 2002 01:25 AM Re: Computer Virus
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Tazzly thanks for that site.. I installed it and can see a difference already. It told me about some things I had installed that I was already suspicious of. When I asked it to remove anything suspicious automatically, it did.]One thing I can't find is how to put a tray icon in . I have it as a short cut, but I think I need the icon there so I can open it when I switch on. Thanks again. It is very re- assuring.

#18255 - Wed May 01 2002 11:21 PM Re: Computer Virus
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Agreed Ren, I've run it and was amazed at the number of "Spy Ware programmes" it highlighted.
I've no reason to doubt Tazzly's answer, especially as there is a programme to down load - for free - to eliminate the problem ones.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29