Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#191451 - Sun Jan 09 2005 09:31 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
No offence meant to you roomeat, I've no great opinion on the Phil Spector composition, and my posting was in regard to the other comments on 'long and winding road' not to yours.

#191452 - Mon Jan 10 2005 06:01 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
roomeat Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
No offence taken aramis. You are quite entitled to your opinion regardless.
That's the beauty of music...we don't necessarily have to enjoy the same styles or categories.
Re "I am the Walrus"...to answer your question - they were on "drugs"!!

#191453 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:07 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
There are several pretty bad ones [penned for the most part when they were strung out on the drug of the week]

But besides I Am the Walrus we also have the very early You Better Run which features lyrics like 'rather see you dead than with another man, little girl, catch you with another man, little girl..'

Way creepy.

#191454 - Fri Jul 15 2005 01:14 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
katew Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Bath, England
Octopus's Garden - sounds like something off Playschool!

#191455 - Fri Jul 15 2005 04:54 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
apathy100 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ontario Canada
Lennon's "Nobody Told Me"... catchy song, but I think poses some of the most bizarre words!

--Nelson Mandela--

#191456 - Mon Jul 18 2005 07:45 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Hmm. I have to admit I have not heard a lot of Beatles that is more obscure or I've heard enough negative commentary on to intentionally avoid. (Like that Revolution #9 business.) But I am still a fan, and will say it's hard for me to think of songs I don't like without looking at a list of songs I know. I'm going through titles in my head, even of those mentioned here, and I keep thinking, "Hmm, no, I like that one, and that one, and that one, and EVEN that one." I like Octopus's Garden and Yellow Submarine, even though they "sound like something off playschool" because of that very reason. I like being childish sometimes. I even like I am a Walrus, in all it's creepy glory. Michelle is a little trite, but I still like it, and Long and Winding Road is one of my favorites. I like the Indian-style songs. Of all of the songs I've heard, I guess Fixing a Hole is my least favorite, because the words creep me out just a little for some reason, though I still like the song, mostly.

#191457 - Mon Jul 25 2005 10:12 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Randi6699 Offline
Participant

Loc: PA
I love The Bealtes!!!Believe it or not, "I Am The Walrus" is one of my favorite songs. I do like George's indian music. But, if I had to choose a song that I least liked, it would be "Octopus's Garden".
What about "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"? I do like that one too.

#191458 - Tue Jul 26 2005 05:27 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
robynraymer Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Albany California USA     
I heard one I didn't like much the other day (my boyfriend has ALL Beatles' song on "shuffle" on his computer), but it was so obscure that I can't remember it's title or words.

But re. McCartney changing the credit on "Yesterday" to his name only, I think he just wants to call it "McCartney/Lennon" instead of vice versa. And Yoko said "no," I believe. But I could be wrong. In any case, I think he deserves to have just that one song in his name only--Lennon probably had nothing to do with writing it.

What's worse, in my opinion, is that Michael Jackson owns the rights to MANY Beatles' songs.

Cheers,
Robyn

#191459 - Wed Jul 27 2005 12:47 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
What's worse, in my opinion, is that Michael Jackson owns the rights to MANY Beatles' songs.

Boy do I agree with that statement 100%! It makes me retch when I think about it.

As for Paul asking to change the credit on Yesterday I think he should have that right. Its not like he is slamming John or saying that they didn't write some of the best music in the world.

I have never liked or trusted Yoko Ono and by denying Paul that right it just proves to me that she is a money grabbing no talent leech and if she was to give up that credit she would lose Milions of dollars.

Also I have never heard a bad Beatles song but maybe that is because they are of my Era and I have great memories of that time.

PF

#191460 - Wed Jul 27 2005 04:03 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Randi6699 Offline
Participant

Loc: PA
Quote:

Boy do I agree with that statement 100%! It makes me retch when I think about it.

As for Paul asking to change the credit on Yesterday I think he should have that right. Its not like he is slamming John or saying that they didn't write some of the best music in the world.

I have never liked or trusted Yoko Ono and by denying Paul that right it just proves to me that she is a money grabbing no talent leech and if she was to give up that credit she would lose Milions of dollars.

Also I have never heard a bad Beatles song but maybe that is because they are of my Era and I have great memories of that time.

PF

I agree with you 100%. I think Michael Jackson owns the complete Beatles Catalog. If he had any kind of heart, he would give them back to The Beatles. (John and George's estate)
I never did like Yoko; she is the one reason The Beatles broke up.

To the very end, Paul tried to keep the band together (although suing his fellow band members wasn't very good or nice), but I believe Yoko was a big influence in John's decision to leave the band.

#191461 - Wed Jul 27 2005 05:38 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
rogue Offline
Mainstay

I believe Jackson currently owns half the publishing rights to the Lennon/McCartney songs. The other half was bought by Sony records. McCartney, and Lennon's estate, recieve a 50% songwriter's share of the royalties from the Lennon/McCartney songs. Paul could have outbid Jackson for the Northern Songs/ATV catalog but didn't.

Considering the way Jackson spends money, his holding on his half of the catalog could be in jeopardy. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony ends up with the entire catalog someday.

Personally, I've always liked Yoko- not her singing but I've liked her. The Beatles were doomed when Brian Epstein died.

#191462 - Thu Jan 19 2006 03:56 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Toga Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
The worst Beatles songs:

Tell Me What You See
The Word
Wait

These are just crummy garbage.

#191463 - Thu Jan 19 2006 04:18 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Well, I know others will jump on me, but I've never liked "In My Life"; there's something about the words that reminds me of the worst of Tim Rice - a really forced, awkward feel. Plus the places where he goes off key ....nope, just doesn't do it for me.

#191464 - Sat Jan 21 2006 08:58 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Laylasmum Offline
Participant

Loc: London England
Quote:

But besides I Am the Walrus we also have the very early You Better Run which features lyrics like 'rather see you dead than with another man, little girl, catch you with another man, little girl..'

The title is Run for your life and I think that one is great. But then that is my favourite Beatles album that and Beatles for Sale. Why don't we do it in the road is one I always skip.

#191465 - Thu Feb 02 2006 04:57 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
IamKara Offline
Participant

Loc: Toowoomba QLD Australia  
I agree with Bruyere: any Beatle song I hear makes me instantly feel as though I was with family. their voices for me are family like. They always produce the same reaction as hearing one of my family speak." Best description I've heard for what the sounds of the Beatles invoke.My Granddad came from Liverpool,adore that accent.The one Beatles song I can't stand,never could, "Michelle" definitely,can't bear that one, and my daughter-in-law just had to name her youngest daughter Michelle, I call her Milly. Kara

#191466 - Fri Feb 24 2006 04:37 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Lemmyrules Offline
Prolific

Loc: Texas USA
"Mr. Moonlight" from Beatles VI.

#191467 - Wed Mar 22 2006 01:05 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
airsupplyfan Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Location: Orem Utah USA
Ob La Di Ob La Da and When I'm 64 are FOR SURE the most dorky and obnoxious!

I like a lot of their songs though.

#191468 - Sat Apr 08 2006 10:03 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
hansbrinker78 Offline
Participant

the long and winding road- is absolutely the worst beatle song ever recorded.Its nothing more than another one of McCartney,s "silly little love songs".If we could include McCartney,s
solo career in this category I would pick "Uncle Albert(hands across the water)as my all time worst.
"Someones knocking at the door,
somebody,s ringing a bell.Do me a favor
open the door,let em in." WOW,what lyrics, must have taken weeks to write that.

#191469 - Sun Apr 09 2006 02:20 AM Re: Worst Beatles Song
Lemmyrules Offline
Prolific

Loc: Texas USA
My wife loves The Beatles. But she absolutely despises "Yellow Submarine".

#191470 - Tue Apr 11 2006 11:08 PM Re: Worst Beatles Song
robynraymer Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Albany California USA     
OK, "Octopus's Garden" and "Mr. Moonlight." Those are the worst, I believe. It's true that "Michelle" has dorky lyrics (and most people have heard it too many times), but it is a beautiful ballad.

That's my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Robyn

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher