Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#197785 - Sat Oct 18 2003 01:13 PM "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
ChinkyGirl Offline
Explorer

Loc: Jamaica, NY, USA
Who performed the original song "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - CCR or Marvin Gaye? I love both versions, but recently discovered the CCR version which is so amazing and I was instantly addicted to. My father says they did the original, and Gaye copied it. Anyone know for sure?

#197786 - Sat Oct 18 2003 02:15 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Marvin Gaye released the song in 1968, and it was covered in 1970 by CCR- I am with you... I prefer the Credence version!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#197787 - Sat Oct 18 2003 02:55 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
True classic. Both versions are great but vote me in on Marvin's. I ran the song through AMG's search engine to see who else of note had covered it and the list is huge. Here's a few of the bigger names:

Tina and Ike
Supremes
Temtations
Martha Reeves
Otis Reding
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Ben Harper
Elton John
Ella Fitzgerald
Eric Gale
Franky Gaye

#197788 - Sat Oct 18 2003 07:08 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
MsBatt Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Marvin Gaye wrote it, too.

#197789 - Sun Oct 19 2003 11:22 AM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
rogue Offline
Mainstay

The song was actually written by Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield. They also composed Edwin Starr's "War" and "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" by the Temptations, among others (this info from AMG). I remember hearing Barrett Strong sing the Grapevine tune on an "In Their Own Words" singer/songwriter comp a few years back. I prefer CCR's, Gaye's and Gladys Knight's versions the most.

Edited by rogue (Sun Oct 19 2003 11:24 AM)

#197790 - Sun Oct 19 2003 09:10 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I've found as a general rule that, if you're trying to find out who did the original, and CCR is one of the contenders, you can rule them out...(that's not a bad thing, but I've just found it tends to be the general rule ).

I know a lot of people won't know them, but the Doug Anthony Allstar's did what I believe to be the best cover of it...heartbreaking, the way i think the song was meant to be...

Elvis Costello also did a slower version of it which I think it closer to what the song should sound like (obviously, purely my own opinion) compared to Creedance or Marvin Gaye, but the DAAS version will always be the definitive one for me...

#197791 - Wed Oct 29 2003 07:46 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
Quote:

I've found as a general rule that, if you're trying to find out who did the original, and CCR is one of the contenders, you can rule them out.

Oh don't say that! We can't let Ike and Tina Turner take credit for Proud Mary!!!

#197792 - Wed Oct 29 2003 09:08 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
...Just because ccr don't necessarily write them, it doesn't mean that they don't blow the roof off ...

#197793 - Thu Oct 30 2003 11:24 AM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
GOSTEELERS Offline
Explorer

Loc: Maryland USA
It's true, CCR did some great covers. However, John Fogerty
wrote the following songs-
Proud Mary
Bad Moon Rising
Down on the Corner
Fortunate Son
Travelin' Band
Who'll Stop the Rain
Up Around the Bend
Run Through the Jungle
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Green River
Sweet Hitch-Hiker
I'd have to say this is an amazing body of original work.

#197794 - Thu Oct 30 2003 05:47 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

VIC Australia
I'll drink to that !

Tanzen
(I'll drink to anything )

#197795 - Thu Oct 30 2003 09:08 PM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I prefer the raw version of CCR myself. It never fails to make me drum on my steering wheel.

#197796 - Fri Nov 07 2003 03:31 AM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
Maynooth Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Western Australia
Hey Gosteelers!
What an awesome list! Every one a classic.

John Fogerty made a "come back" (not really a come back as his disgruntlement with the record companies were what made him drop out, as opposed to running out of good material) several years ago and although a bit obscure the allbums were great.

cheers
Maynooth

#197797 - Fri Nov 07 2003 03:53 AM Re: "Heard it Through the Grapevine" - Original?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Here's another vote for CCR's version.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher