Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200111 - Fri Nov 07 2003 05:01 PM Mailbox no longer private?
mk2norwich Offline
Mainstay

Loc: East of England
I've noticed that there appears to have been a change made in the members' Mailbox facility on this site.

It seems that "private" messages sent on Quizzlyland using this facility are no longer private.
I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say this, but whose smart idea was this?
The principal reason (or so I thought) for a feature such as this is to give members the option to converse privately with one another. Now it seems that editors are able to read any messages that are sent and received via the Mailbox.

I don't know what other members think, but to me this is an unacceptable invasion of privacy, and for this reason, I have no intention of using this service again!

I will NOT have ANYBODY snooping in on my private (yes, PRIVATE) conversations!

Another thing; there has been a lot of "over zealous" deleting going on in AFT of late - so much so, that it's ruining the enjoyment of that section for myself and others, too.

As I've said there, I'll say here:
I am currently looking for another place on the net to call home; the dictatorial attitude of some of the people in charge at this site has become more than I can tolerate.

FunTrivia is a great site; shame about some of its staff.

I've said what I've got to say; I feel better now.
If I'm not welcome here again in the future, so be it. At least I've said what's on my mind, and to me, that's all that matters.

Mark.

#200112 - Fri Nov 07 2003 05:32 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
silverginger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: St. Meinrad Indiana USA      
That depends on which part of the site you're thinking of. If it's Quizzyland, then yes, editors do have access to see compliments, errors, etc., but nothing else. This is purely to stop problem people, sending profanity, etc.
For moderators, then that's up to them to tell you, but I really doubt they'd 'SNOOP' as you put it.

#200113 - Fri Nov 07 2003 05:33 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Where on this site is there a notice stating that QL messages are, or have been, private? The following words have appeared, in red, on each QL message screen, and they're still there:-

keep in mind that FunTrivia editors also read all notes sent
http://www.funtrivia.com/writenote.cfm?toplayer=&msgtype=4&type=note

#200114 - Fri Nov 07 2003 05:49 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
Only the text of the warning above each message sent has been changed. The admins' abilities to see messages has not changed.

Unfortunately, quite a few people lately have used the FT message system to send offensive messages, or to conduct inappropriate conversations (such as young girls- or people pretending to be young girls- emailing male members asking them to "be their friend.) Thus, the necessity of the disclaimer.

It's kind of like what we tell people at my work, where I assist in system administration- we don't sit around all day reading your mail, and have no interest in doing so. But if we need to, we can.

Edited by crisw (Fri Nov 07 2003 09:43 PM)

#200115 - Fri Nov 07 2003 06:01 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Ditto what everyone else said.

If you really want to say something privately that you don't want others to read, exchange email addresses. But there are minors on this site and we will do everything possible to make sure this site is *safe* for them. Also, no one comes on this site to get sworn or yelled at. If looking at notes when we get a 'heads up' about someone's behaviour is snooping, then I'm the first one to be happy about it.

Like I said, exchange emails or screen-names. The messages take up space on this site anyway and it was never intended to be a personal messenging service.

(OK, going back to studying French...)

Editor for Television Category

#200116 - Fri Nov 07 2003 06:15 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Let me chime in myself. I am assuming you mean Quizzyland's message system available for questions, comments etc and used for editing and smaller notes to people rather than the PM system that you use as a member of the forums. The latter is confidential.
As an editor for over two years and a former moderator here, you need to know that in the past we would get people checking to see who was online at Quizzyland, sending a whole bunch of innappropriate messages to whomever they pleased that had nothing at all to do with anything we do here. That was a clearly innappropriate use of the system.

One thing I need to reiterate to you is that as an editor, the quizzyland message system is invaluable for our work. I occasionally have reminded people that if they did wish to exchange many messages, they should take advantage of the pm system here in the forums instead as they used to register as corrections at one point.

As has been stated here, it is stated on the Quizzyland message system, that these are read by editors and adminstrators.

On the other hand, if someone were to abuse the pms in a similar fashion, then the administration would have to be informed in order to act. I'm saying for example, sending out a bunch of innappropriate messages to meet people to everyone online or something.

Let's see, I remember one exchange on one of the quizzes that went on and on and consisted of cool, way cool, see ya after class. (dialogue made up to protect the innocent) and it showed as having an enormous amount of errors. I simply informed the people of this and they began using the pm system.

#200117 - Fri Nov 07 2003 08:19 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
No, Quizzyland notes have never intended on being and have never been advertised as being a private messaging service.

It's merely a method for people to send feedback regarding quizzes. It's not a place to discuss your weekend plans privately with someone, nor is it a place to insult quiz authors, editors, etc.

Please use email for private messages.

Terry

#200118 - Sat Nov 08 2003 01:02 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
mk2norwich Offline
Mainstay

So when was it decided that the Quizzyland Mailbox facility was to be used solely for the exchanging of quiz-related notes?
I am given the option to send either a direct message or a compliment.
Nowhere am I told that I am not allowed to speak with other members about anything other than quiz-related topics.

I use (or rather used) this box on a regular basis.
I am on first-name terms with many on the AFT contributors, and the majority of our exchanges are to do with personal issues, and have nothing to do with quizzes. If this is deemed unacceptable in the eyes of those who wield the power here, then so be it.
I shall communicate via e-mail from now on.

#200119 - Sat Nov 08 2003 01:41 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
That was ALWAYS its purpose. If you recall, it is only since you have been obliged to register in order to use AFT that you have the use of the messaging facility.

As for posts/threads being deleted, the purpose of AFT is for people to ask question which they NEED an answer, just an alternative to using 'I Need an Answer' in the forums but serving almost exactly the same purpose, it was never intended to be an area in which people post riddles and 'games', both of these are are well catered for in the forums, try Chains and Challenges. It has reached a stage in AFT that the purpose has been completely altered. If a person arrived at AFT for its PROPER purpose they would probably feel they are not in the right place to ask their question. It isn't supposed to be a 'games' area.

#200120 - Sat Nov 08 2003 03:28 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
mk2norwich Offline
Mainstay

..Which is all the more reason why we need the 'chat' sections for each category to be reinstated.
If it wasn't for the many irresponsible adults, and gullible/naive children out there, these parts of the site would never have been taken offline in the first place.

I don't like the forums, and I know there are other AFT regulars who feel the same.
If I were to visit the forum you suggested, Sue, and start posting my cryptics and suchlike in that section, I'd be very lonely.
Few, if any of the familiar names I've come to know on AFT would join me there. I agree with what you're saying about the fact that AFT has "changed" somewhat - I remember when only "sensible" questions were being posted there; I am not saying that this is a bad thing, but the more light-hearted questions are also welcome there (well, many of us members like them, if that counts for anything).

It's a shame that the chat areas were taken offline, as I said; this was an ideal area for cryptics and similar quesions, and so much easier to use than the forums.

#200121 - Sat Nov 08 2003 03:35 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
The chat boards were removed because they needed to be monitered and Terry decided that the editing and moderating staff have enough to do without worrying about policing those boards. Which by the way contained some vulgar and obscene messages. Granted not everyone using them abused them, but as the saying goes one bad apple can spoil the bunch.

----------------
Agnes (JTJ)

#200122 - Sat Nov 08 2003 03:38 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
mk2norwich Offline
Mainstay

So from what you're saying, I take it that these boards are as good as gone forever?

(Edited by mk2norwich for grammatical errors)

Edited by mk2norwich (Sat Nov 08 2003 03:40 AM)

#200123 - Sat Nov 08 2003 03:51 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I can't comment on whether the chat sections will return but on the other matter you really cannot just decide amongst yourselves to alter the function of a section of a website and not expect deletions. The website has areas for certain functions, if people don't want to use them we can't force them but members ought not take it upon themselves to do just as they want regardless of what the owner/adminstrators of the site woulld wish. This is almost like you painting the rooms in your house certain colours and your guests deciding they don't like the colour scheme so bringing in their own paint and changing it to suit their own tastes.

#200124 - Sat Nov 08 2003 07:27 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I have to agree with Sue, I can't honestly see the problem with using the forums for challenges etc., there's plenty of room for as many questions and answers, and if people took the short journey from ask ft to there why shouldn't everyone use it just as much here as they do there now?
I remember when ask ft was used for q & a's, and now (remembering there's no contact facility for answers as there is here), unless you make a list of #numbers, you can easily lose what you're looking for in a day or so.
The bottom line is, there's nothing stopping the shortest or most convoluted quiz-type questions already by using the forums. I've found ask ft to have become pretty clogged up, though still entertaining, because of all the challenges posed, and as you've raised it Mark, thought I'd show there is an opposite view from someone who uses both areas.

#200125 - Sat Nov 08 2003 08:22 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
> So from what you're saying, I take it that these boards are as good as gone forever?

No. Those category chat boards could very well be reinstated, but not until I can add in a volunteer moderation system for them too (most likely entirely separate from quiz editors and forum moderators).

The "free for all" approach was tested and obviously wasn't going to work.

Terry

#200126 - Sat Nov 08 2003 12:43 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
shady_shaker Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane QLD Australia      
I'm someone else who uses both areas and cannot understand the reluctance to use the Forums for posting riddles and cryptic questions. At the same time, I would challenge the notion that AFT is meant only for use by those who need answers to questions. My understanding was that it was for the posting of TRIVIA questions which posters may or may not know the answer to. The enjoyment I derive from AFT stems from the knowledge I gain from reading other members' answers and researching the information to post my own questions.

#200127 - Sat Nov 08 2003 01:04 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
shady_shaker Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane QLD Australia      
Why not at least give the Forums a decent trial, Mark? You say that if you post your cryptic questions, etc. here that you will be lonely. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. As I said before, the reluctance to use the forums is difficult to understand. They are just as quick as AFT and your questions will remain longer. What's more, if AFT were used strictly for TRIVIA questions, then more space would allow Q and A to remain for longer periods and McG and the rest of us would be happier as a result!!

#200128 - Sat Nov 08 2003 03:25 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Andy713 Offline
Forum Adept

I do see why the mailbox is no longer private. People have been posting on FT about things that are not about the quizzesand it has possibly caused the website to break down several times.

#200129 - Fri Jan 07 2005 08:55 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Can editors also see all PM's sent?

#200130 - Fri Jan 07 2005 09:52 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
ladymacb29 Offline

Yes.

#200131 - Fri Jan 07 2005 09:58 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

NSW Australia
I thought PM meant 'Private Messages'

#200132 - Sat Jan 08 2005 12:37 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
ladymacb29 Offline

Private as in not everyone in the world can see it.

The editors and admins of the site need to have access to mailboxes in cases like harassment and such so we can verify that there has indeed been harassment. (This is why we ask you not to delete harassing messages you receive until an editor or admin lets you know that they've seen them.) Otherwise, there wouldn't be anyway to prove that someone was behaving badly on this site.

#200133 - Sat Jan 08 2005 08:22 AM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I doubt that you will find a website anywhere, or an ISP, where the people running it cannot check content of what is on their site.

Just because we have the ability to check doesn't mean that we spend all our time reading PMs and messages, but they can be read, we don't pretend otherwise.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Jan 08 2005 08:24 AM)

#200134 - Sun Jan 09 2005 05:04 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

NSW Australia
Oh, I see

#200135 - Sun Jan 09 2005 05:20 PM Re: Mailbox no longer private?
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
Wait a minute. Is Wallarobba asking about the Quizzyland mailboxes or a PM in the forums? It was my understanding that the PMs in the forums were private.

Edited by McGruff (Sun Jan 09 2005 05:20 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony