Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#203246 - Tue Nov 25 2003 10:57 AM Chewing-Gum Removal
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
Found this page from a link given by someone at Ask.FT.

REMOVE CHEWING GUM

Chewing gum is not my favorite type of candy or sweet thing but the kids sure love it. If you ever look down at a pavement you can see where people have spat out their chewing gum for you to step in. It is a terrible problem for local authorities who are in charge of cleaning it up, as soon as they remove it, someone will replace it.

I have gathered a multitude of ways that you can remove chewing gum from your hair, clothes and carpets. So read on if you are looking to remove some chewing gum.

Egg White.
The white of an egg will remove chewing gum from most things, including your hair. Put the white of an egg on the gum and leave for a couple of minutes. Then work the gum out with your fingers little by little.

Freeze it out.
If the chewing gum is on an item of clothing, put the item in the freezer. The chewing gum will go hard and all you need to do is crack it off. You can also use the freezing technique on larger items, such as a car seat or carpet, by using ice cubes. Place an ice cube onto the gum and slowly rub it around. The gum will harden and you will be able to crack it off in big pieces.

Chocolate.
This technique will work great if you have chewing gum in your clothes or hair. Melt some chocolate and rub some of the melted chocolate into the gum. The chocolate dissolves the chewing gum's stickiness - so it can be brushed or combed out instead of having to cut it out.

Mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise will also remove chewing gum. Simply apply and work it in, gum softens and comes off easily.

Vinegar.
Saturate the area that has the gum on it with vinegar. The gum will actually dissolve. If the vinegar is heated first the process will work faster.

Peanut Butter.
Simply apply peanut butter to the offending gum and work it in. The gum comes right off.

Lemon Juice.
Chewing gum can be removed from clothes if the gum is first soaked in lemon juice and then the clothes are washed as normal.

WD40/Penetrating Oil.
Very similar to the other tips. Simply spray the sticky gum with WD40 and work it into the gum. The gum will come out easily.

[Taken from this page.]

Edited by harish_256 (Tue Nov 25 2003 10:58 AM)

#203247 - Tue Nov 25 2003 11:12 AM Re: Chewing-Gum Removal
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Quote:

If the chewing gum is on an item of clothing, put the item in the freezer. The chewing gum will go hard and all you need to do is crack it off.

Same principle:

I use a freezing fluid aerosol spray to remove chewing gum, chocolate and other sticky substances from fabrics (its primary purpose is for fault finding on electronic equipment). Just spray it on, wait for the frost to appear and then chip off the sticky stuff.

#203248 - Tue Nov 25 2003 01:57 PM Re: Chewing-Gum Removal
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Very recently someone must have had gum on the sole of their shoe and then walked on the carpet in our waiting room, not a great lump of gum, just a smear. I used the ice cube trick and managed with some difficulty to remove it, it would have been easier had there been a larger lump of gum.

#203249 - Tue Nov 25 2003 08:01 PM Re: Chewing-Gum Removal
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
At my age, people putting chewing in each other's hair is a common phenomenon; it's not done by accident, but just as a joke!

However, the consequences are rather severe, especially since these handy-dandy tips aren't available; people end up cutting their hair off!

#203250 - Fri Jan 09 2004 10:32 PM Re: Chewing-Gum Removal
serenitee Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sunshine State Keep Smilin'!
Yup, that one always worked best for me too!! Using ice never worked for me. The gum warmed up faster than I could get it cleaned up. That spray stuff sounds like it might be a winner! Did you notice that most of the substances that are used to remove the gum are oily? Has anyone tried butter?
SSB

#203251 - Sat Jan 10 2004 07:12 AM Re: Chewing-Gum Removal
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Butter? I am really not sure that I want to rub butter into the carpet, I have a feeling that might cause new problems with grease stains.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong