Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#241380 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:10 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Newcastle, UK
Quote:

I am hoping that Helen295 can take tomorrow's round, and myself the Wednesday after that. I think I will have recovered considerably by Wednesday week.

That's okay with me, Kuu. Tomorrow will probably be more convenient for me anyway.

#241381 - Fri Sep 03 2004 09:37 PM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
DLHenry Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Palmer Alaska USA           
Just a quick note. My name has been changed to boringkid14 to match mt QL name.

-boringkid14 (theoryman)

#241382 - Sat Sep 04 2004 06:21 PM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I was thinking... maybe we ought to change the minimum of different answers to 5, as there are usually more than 10 people playing each day, if not more usually... gives slightly more chances that we wont pile up on one another's answers...

Just a thought

#241383 - Sat Sep 04 2004 08:03 PM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
... or maybe even six, as the number of competitors may increase.

#241384 - Sun Sep 05 2004 02:56 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Well whatever you think best, maybe six choices at least!

#241385 - Tue Sep 07 2004 06:40 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I think we should stick to the original 4, as even when there are only four possible answers, sometimes there is one possible answer not used. Limiting the number of answers is also a way of introducing the element of 'second-guessing' your opponents, which makes the game more interesting and challenging. The challenge becomes not only finding suitable answers, but also trying to outguess your opponents. After all there's no fun in everyone having perfect scores every day, and it makes it hard to have an outright winner.

Just my opinion, though.

#241386 - Tue Sep 07 2004 06:56 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Quote:

from Kuu's original thread:

Questions will cover a wide range of topics. Some will be easy, others will require you to Google for the answer (I will make sure the answer can be found)
People will PM me their 5 answers each round. If they are the only person to pick their answer they receive 10 points, if one or more people come up with the same answer they score 5 points each. So not only do you have to find the answer but you have to try and choose the answer that no-one else selects. So the game is a combination of knowledge and luck.

I thought that Kuu's original intent was to make it a challenge to outguess the other players --- I think 4 choices is reasonable minimum, as long as all 5 questions aren't limited to just 4 possible answers. (Some of my questions that had the most <about 10> potential answers have had the most duplicate answers as well --- I've also seen questions with only 4 answers and 12 players that had an answer not mentionned))

Too many answer options (ie all questions must have 6 possible answers, or more as some are hinting) defeats Kuu's original challenge.

#241387 - Tue Sep 07 2004 07:04 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
I think four is a good minimum. On occasion I have accidentally asked questions that had way to many possible answers, and the result was that everyone got 10 points. Not much fun in that...

#241388 - Tue Sep 07 2004 07:14 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I enjoy playing the Trivia Rounds- some are tough, some are not, but it is the 'double-guessing' that attracts me to the game.

Whether the questions are hard or easy is a secondary consideration; the 'real' game is trying to outsmart everyone else.

I cannot see much point in having everyone win; a mixture of 'easy' questions (eg, 'A South American country') that has lots of options, and a 'tough' question (eg, 'A child of Adam and Eve'), that has only three possible answers, can sit comfortably together.

Having said all this, it is Kuu's game, and she has the final call- what do you think, Kuu?

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#241389 - Tue Sep 07 2004 07:55 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Confucious says: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or something like that .

#241390 - Tue Sep 07 2004 09:19 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Looking back, I don't seem to have used any with less than 5 options, but even in those cases with many more options, only twice has everybody scored 10 points. Of the rest, only twice has no one scored ten (and one of these had six options, one of which was not mentioned - the other had five.) In one five-option case, two people out-guessed the rest and got ten points.

After that ramble, my conclusion is to agree with gats:

Quote:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#241391 - Tue Sep 07 2004 10:14 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I try and pick questions with lots of choices myself, but, each to their own! I'm with Gatsby!

#241392 - Wed Sep 08 2004 02:03 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

If there is any problems with this list just let me know!

OK, I think there is a problem. There haven't been any questions yesterday (Tuesday). I don't know if it was Boringkid's turn or Leo's, but seeing as how we only had 4 questions on a previous Tuesday and now none at all, I think the Tuesdays need reorganizing...

#241393 - Wed Sep 08 2004 04:14 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Cunfucious says: If it IS broke, fix it . I agree. I think we are having a bit of a Tuesday problem now.

#241394 - Wed Sep 08 2004 06:35 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Well seeming I am honorly quizmaster for this month I shall take it onto myself to compose five questions for Tuesday. And I am willing to take over Tuesdays too. I hope BoringKid or Leo takes offence for me stepping me
Questions in five minutes!

#241395 - Wed Sep 08 2004 06:42 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds *DELETED*
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Post deleted by JaneMarple

#241396 - Wed Sep 08 2004 07:01 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
DLHenry Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Palmer Alaska USA           
Hey guys.

Sorry, but you're going to have to take me off of Tuesdays for a while.

I'll be back, but My schedule changes too much for me to know I'm going to be around.

Sorry Again,
boringkid

#241397 - Wed Sep 08 2004 07:07 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Thank you BoringKid. I shall now rearrange Tuesdays.

#241398 - Sun Sep 12 2004 09:35 AM Re: September Quizmaster Roster for Trivia Rounds
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Say, if anyone's interested, though I'm sure you all have your own methods of scorekeeping, considering the game seems to have run along quite smoothly up until now, I've got a system down that works REALLY well for me. It keeps track of points totals as it goes, so by the end there is only the composition of the main post to do, and even that can be mostly cut and past. It's a little MS Access database jerry-rigged for this purpose, and I can email the blank to anyone if there's someone out there still looking for a better way to keep track.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ozzz2002