Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#241698 - Wed Sep 29 2004 06:02 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Newcastle, UK
Round 29 - Wed 29 September

Quote:

1. A type of pasta, e.g spaghetti.
2. A manager of England's soccer (football) team since 1990.
3. One of the cats who appears in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Cats".
4. In Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", name one of the characters Alice meets in Wonderland.
5. A county or borough of Denmark.

Good luck!

#241699 - Wed Sep 29 2004 07:41 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck ††
Trivia Rounds - September: Round 27 (Sept. 27th): 9 players participated

Name:

1) A member, including the dog, of the "Bumstead" family in the comic strip Blondie

10 points: Blondie

5 points: Alexander (2), Cookie (5)

Not mentioned: Dagwood, Daisy (the dog)

Not accepted: Marianne

2) A woman who has her name engraved on the Stanley Cup

10 points: Lisa Ilitch Murray - 1997, 1998, 2002

5 points: Marguerite Norris - 1954, 1955 (3), Sonia Scurfield - 1989 (2), Carole Ilitch - 1997, 1998, 2002 (2)

Not mentioned: Marie Denise DeBartolo York - 1991 / Marian Ilitch - 1997, 1998, 2002 / Denise Ilitch Lites - 1997, 1998, 2002 / Marie Carnevale - New Jersey, 2000 / Callie Smith - New Jersey, 2000 / Charlotte Grahame - 2001 / Nancy Beard - 2002

Not accepted: Lily Murphy --- her name is SCRATCHED onto the Stanley Cup, but has never been properly engraved on the Stanley Cup. (I debated for a considerable amount of time whether to accept Lily Murphy, and decided to NOT accept it due to the fact that I had specified ENGRAVED in my question ... I checked several websites and none that I found included Lily Murphy in the list of names engraved on the Stanley Cup --- one site did specifically say, "Lily Murphy's name was scratched into the patina of Lord Stanley's bowl".)

3) Song from the Greatest Stories Live album by Harry Chapin

10 points: W*O*L*D, Mr Tanner

5 points: I Want To Learn A Love Song (2), Taxi (3), Thirty Thousand Pounds Of Bananas (2)

Not mentionned: Dreams Go By, Saturday Morning, A Better Place To Be, Let Time Go Lightly, Cats In The Cradle, Circle, The Shortest Story

4) Any geographical place in Canada that is a palindorome

10 points: Ekal Lake (Ontario), Kinikinik (Alberta), Wakaw (Saskatchewan)

5 points: Glenelg (Nova Scotia) (4)

Not mentionned: Ada {Saskatchewan), Ava (Saskatchewan), Laval (Quebec), Nappan (Nova Scotia), Navan (Ontario), Oso (Ontario), Otto (Manitoba)

Note: 2 players did not enter an answer for this question

5) An independent country that has a flag that is red and yellow/gold

10 points: no one

5 points: China (3), Spain (3), Vietnam (3)

Not mentionned: Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia

Note: I had intended for this question to be for flags that only had the colours of red and yellow/gold on them --- however, I neglected to include the word ONLY in my question and therefore accepted Spain which is predominately red and yellow/gold.

Results

Engadine: 35 points

Helen295: 30 points
Leo DaVinci: 30 points
Ozzz2002: 30 points
Santana: 30 points
Spanishliz: 30 points

Beaker411: 20 points
Julia103: 20 points

JaneMarple: 15 points

Congratulations to Engadine who collects a point for this round.

Thanks for playing everyone!

#241700 - Wed Sep 29 2004 07:57 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia††††††
Thanks Elf, I obviously loved your Trivia Round (lol) !

#241701 - Wed Sep 29 2004 02:52 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Trivia Round 30 (I think),

My first effort on this side of the puzzle questions, so be gentle, ok?

1) Name a suburb of Sydney, Australia, that contains the word 'Hill' or 'Hills'.

2) In the card game of 'Five Hundred', name a bid that would defeat a misere call.

3) In 1878, Cleopatra's Needle was transported to London and set up by the Thames. A time capsule was buried underneath. Name one of the item in the capsule.

4) What is one of the 'Five K's' of the Sikh faith?

5) Name a sporting stadium with a capacity of 115,000 or more.

I will be out of circulation till about Sunday, so you have a few days to work on them.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#241702 - Thu Sep 30 2004 04:03 AM Trivia Rounds - September!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I will be out of circulation till about Sunday, so you have a few days to work on them.

Nothing to do with Roosters, per chance? (lol) Now that Pricey is out, they may just win - hope it's a good one for you!

#241703 - Thu Sep 30 2004 04:19 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
ozzz2002 Offline

NSW Australia
Quote:

Nothing to do with Roosters, per chance?

I believe in celebrating early- it beats the rush..

Hopefully it will not turn into commiserations...

Does a Price equate to a Ricketson? Time, (and Tooheys), will tell.

#241704 - Thu Sep 30 2004 07:43 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing to do with Roosters, per chance?

I believe in celebrating early- it beats the rush..

Hopefully it will not turn into commiserations...

Does a Price equate to a Ricketson? Time, (and Tooheys), will tell.

I hope the Tooheys is for you and not either of the Teams (and I don't know about Price=Ricketson, we'll find out Sunday night), at least not prior to the Match . . . afterwards, well, we all know what Aussie Footballers are like . . . say no more . . .

#241705 - Fri Oct 01 2004 02:21 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Round 29 is now closed. Answers and results will be posted later.

#241706 - Fri Oct 01 2004 07:12 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Round 28 (Tuesday is now closed). Answers to be posted once I get out of jail, er, school...

#241707 - Fri Oct 01 2004 09:09 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

We can 'post' bail for you if you like, Leo . . .

#241708 - Fri Oct 01 2004 11:08 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Trivia Round 29

There were seven entries.

1. A type of pasta.

10 Points: Cannelloni, ziti, penne, vermicelli, spaghettini, rigatoni, orzo

Everyone scored 10 points for this question! Santana2002 sent this interesting link which shows pictures and descriptions of the different varieties of pasta:
http://www.ilovepasta.org/shapes.html

2. A manager of England's soccer (football) team since 1990.

10 Points: Kevin Keegan, Terry Venables

5 Points: Sven Goran Eriksson (3), Glenn Hoddle (2)

The other England managers you could have chosen were Graham Taylor, Howard Wilkinson and Peter Taylor.

3. A cat who appeared in the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Cats".

10 Points: Gus the Theatre Cat, Rum Tum Tugger, Jenny Anydots, Macavity, Rumpleteazer

5 Points: Mr Mistoffelees (2)

There were many other cats to choose from including Grizabella, Munkustrap, Skimbleshanks and Mungojerrie. "Cats", if you didn't already know, is based on TS Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", and was Andrew Lloyd Webber's longest-running musical on both Broadway and London's West End.

4. In Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", name a character Alice meets in Wonderland.

10 Points: Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, Queen of Hearts, White Rabbit

5 Points: Caterpillar (2)

I couldn't accept Tweedledum as he and Tweedledee appeared in the sequel, "Through The Looking Glass", not "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". Other characters you could have chosen included the March Hare, the Dormouse, the Duchess and the Mock Turtle.

5. A county or borough of Denmark.

10 Points: Sonderjylland, Fyn

5 Points: Vestsjślland/West Zealand (2), Frederiksberg (2)

I couldn't accept the English and Danish spellings of West Zealand as two separate places.
Thisted is no longer a county and is now a muncipality of Viborg County.

SCORES

Beaker411 - 45

Santana2002 - 40
Ozzz2002 - 40
LeoDaVinci - 40
Engadine - 35
JaneMarple - 35
Julia103 - 30

Congratulations Beaker411!

#241709 - Fri Oct 01 2004 08:21 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
LeoDaVinci Offline

Here are the results for Round XXVIII
Only 7 people played...

Question I: Name a Jewish religious Holiday...
For 10: Simchat Torah, Shemini Atzeret
For 5: Sukkot (3)
Not Accepted: Channukah (2)
II: In Judaism, there is a distinct separation between the religious holidays and the traditional holidays. Religious holidays are the ones mentioned in the Torah (The Old Testament of the Christian Bible) and the traditional holidays were added at a later date because of historical events.
The Religious Holidays are as follows:
Rosh HaShanah - New Year
Yom Kippur - The Day of Atonement, on which Jews fast and refrain from most activities in order to repent the last year's sins.
Sukkot - Tabernacles, which remembers the temporary shelters the Jews lived in as they were leaving Egypt on the Exodus.
Simchat Torah and Shmini Atzeret are the last day of Sukkot and the day after, respectively, on which the Torah was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai, and Jews roll back the scrolls to the beginning and start the reading of the Torah from the beginning (Genesis).
Tu B'Shevat - 15 of the Month of Shevat - this is the birthday for trees, one of three birthdays mentioned in the Torah (trees, kings and nations)
Pesach - Passover, where Jews remember the beginning of the Exodus, when Moses came to Egypt to free his people.
Shavuot - festval of Weeks, on which the last of the harvest of the wheat crop was traditionally cut, and brought to the Temple as an offering.
The traditional holidays are:
Channukah - the festival of light, where the Maccabees rebelled against the mighty Greek empire and cleansed the Temple of Solomon
Purim - Lots, Where the Jews were about to be killed by a lot casting, and were saved by the wit of a Jewish woman - Esther
Tisha'a B'Av - 9 of the month of Av, where Jews fast and grieve, as both of the High Temples were destroyed on this day, and many other significant bad things happened on this day.
Lag BaOmer - 33 to the count of the Omer, where the Bar-Kokhva rebellion is remembered by lighting bonfires and celebrating.

Question II: Name a country that fought against the newly formed State of Israel in its 1947-1949 War of Independence...
For 10: Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt
For 5: Jordan (2)
II: The War of Independence of the State of Israel actually started one year previously, when the Arabs rejected the UN proposal to divide the land into a Jewish and a Palestinian free nations. The Arabs wanted the entire land to themselves, although the Jews agreed, and the Arabs invaded Jewish occupied lands. 5 major armies invaded the land, faced by a stubborn, but disorganized and badly equipped militia. The Arab nations were: Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria and Saudi Arabia, although other nations also took part. For instance, Iraq and Tunisia both sent company sized infantry to this conflict, and a little known piece of trivia for you, Cuba sent a platoon of soldiers to fight alongside the Arabs. Despite the odds, the Jews prevailed, and halfway through the war, the independence of Israel was declared.

Question III: Name one of King David's sons born in Hebron...
For 10: Ithream, Absalom
For 5: Adonijah (2), Amnon (3)
II: David had six sons born to him in Hebron: the eldest was Amnon, the son of his wife Ahinoam and his second, Chileab, the son of his wife Abigail. The third son was Absalom the son of his wife Maacah the daughter of Talmai king of Geshur. The fourth son, Adonijah, the son of his wife Haggith and the fifth, Shephatiah, the son of his wife Abital, the sixth, Ithream, by his wife Eglah.
These six weren't any pride to their father, for instance, Amnon tried to force his half-sister Tamar into committing incest, and Absalom rebelled against King David, trying to oust the kingdom (and he nearly succeeded). So David's successor was Solomon, the son of his (ill-gotten) wife Bathsheba.

Question IV: Name one of the Orders of the Mishnah - the Oral Torah...
For 10: Tohorot
For 5: Nashim (2), Nezikin (2), Mo'ed (2)
II: The Mishnah is the laws of the Torah that were passed down orally for many generations, therefore, the Oral Torah. They were finally organized in two places, Usha and Yavenh, and were divided into six Orders:
Zera'im (Seeds) - Deals mostly with portions of crops and foodstuffs that must be set aside for the Priests and poor, etc. and other agricultural laws.
Mo'ed (Festivals) - Deals with the weekly Sabbath and the cycle of annual festivals.
Nashim (Women) - Deals with marriage, divorce, including laws of oaths.
Neziqin (Torts) - Covers the full range of civil and criminal laws.
Qodashim (Sacred Things) - Deals with sacrifice and offerings at the Temple.
Tohorot (Purity) - Deals with just that, purity.

Question V: Name a land mammal that is Kosher for consumption...
For 10: Cow, Goat
For 5: Sheep (2), Deer (2)
Not Accepted: Turkey, as it is a fowl, not a mammal...
II: The Torah mentions laws concerning animals that are allowed for consumption, the mammals must:
Have cloven hooves.
Chews its cud.
Must be slaughtered in a kosher fashion.

Animals qualifying are Deer, Goats, Sheep, Buffalo, Gazelle, Giraffe and Cows, although on the subject of Giraffe it is a touchy matter as it is very hard to slaughter it, the rules specify a neck strike, but the Giraffe has so much neck...

For the Bonus Question:
A single letter of Hebrew is also used in the Cyrillic (Russian) alphabet, and has the same sound in both alphabets. Name that letter.

Hats off everybody to Ozzz2002, as he was the only one to get this right. Admittedly, it was a hard question, and I didn't expect that you could just Google the answer.

The letter is Shin in Hebrew and Sha/She in Russian. It looks like a capital E on its back (so that the three legs are up in the air). The sound of the letter in both languages is the 'sh' sound, and is the only Hebrew letter to be in the Russian alphabet.

And the results are:
The winners with 40 points:
Ozzz2002 (with a gold star for the Bonus)
ElfTwinkle
Julia103

Santana2002 with 35
Engadine with 30
SpanishLiz with 25
JaneMarple with 15

Congratulations to all , and especially to the three winners!

PS - I hope I didn't go too overboard with the Interesting Info...

#241710 - Sat Oct 02 2004 09:46 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Well done Ozzz! That bonus totally defeated me!

Leo, I for one loved your interesting info.

#241711 - Sat Oct 02 2004 10:21 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore
Maryland USA
I also liked all the information.
I was quite surprised that no one mentioned Rosh HaShanah or Yom Kippur for the holidays. Guessing (often wrongly) what other people will choose keeps this game interesting.

#241712 - Sun Oct 03 2004 08:51 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Hi folks. Just a quick update on my badly delinquent Round 25 results. Rest assured I haven't run off with all your correct answers. Well, not really. I took them to work because my home computer had issues. A personal problem, if you will. As it happens, we had a VERY busy week at work, and I simply did not have time to get them up from there. Well, the issues were resolved tonight, with the help of a good therapist, namely my husband, and what do you know, those answers are still at work. So, expect to see your results tomorrow, and my sincerest apologies and thanks for your patience.

#241713 - Sun Oct 03 2004 10:15 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
ozzz2002 Offline

NSW Australia
I finally made it to a computer and am able to post the answers to Round 30.

Q1. A Sydney suburb containing Hill or Hills

10 points-
Beacon Hill, Surry Hills, Hunters Hill.
5 points-
Gore Hill (2), Bellevue Hill (3), Pennant Hills (2)

Not mentioned- Baulkham Hills, Beverly Hills, Box Hill, Castle Hill, Cecil Hills, Chester Hill, Dulwich Hill, East Hills, Kurrajong Hills, McGraths Hill, Mays Hill, Orchard Hills, Pendle Hill, Potts Hill, Quakers Hill, Rooty Hill, Rosehill, Rouse Hill, Seven Hills, Strawberry Hills, Sunner Hill, Terrey Hills, Winston Hills...

Q2. A Five Hundred hand that would outbid a Misere call

10 points-
9 Clubs
10 Hearts
5 points-
8 No Trumps (2), 10 Spades (2), 8 Diamonds (3). One answer disallowed.

Possible answers 8 Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts or No Trumps, or 9 or 10 of any suit.

500 is a games similar to Contract Bridge, and players 'bid' on the number of tricks they think their team can win. eg, a bid of 7 Spades means that you need to take 7 tricks (out of 10 cards)- if you do make your bid, you score 240- if you miss, your score is MINUS 240.

Suits are ranked Spades (lowest), Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and No Trumps. A bid of Misere (which scores 250) means that you have to LOSE every trick- not as easy as it sounds!

Q3. An item buried under Cleopatra's Needle

10 points-

Bibles (in various languages)
Newspapers (a selection of daily and weekly editions)

5 points-
Bradshaw's Railway Guide (4), Portrait of Queen Victoria (2), Whitakers Almanack (2).

Not mentioned. Box of hairpins, cigars, a razor, ropes/cables, a baby bottle, a set of British currency, an Indian rupee coin, and various other odds and ends.

Q4. The Five K's of Sikhism.
10 points-
No-one
5 points-
Kirpan (the dagger symbolising resistance of evil) (4), Kaysh/Kesh/Kesh (Hair must be in a turban) (2), Kangha (The comb, symbol of cleanliness) (3).
Disallowed- Khalsa, which is the name of the 'Pure Ones' who commit to the Five K's.

Q5. Largest Sports Stadiums

10 points-
Estadio Azteca (Mexico City), Maracana Stadium (Rio de Janeiro), Rungnado Stadium (Pyongyang, Korea), Strahov Stadium (Prague). I also allowed Churchill Downs, Kentucky, and Indianapolis Speedway.
5 points-
Telstra Stadium (Sydney) (2), Salt Lake Stadium and Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Calcutta, India), are the same place (2).

Others include Estadio Maghalaes Pinto, Estadio Morumbi, Estadio Castelao and Estadio Arrudao (all in Brazil), Estadio da Luz (Portugal), Senaya Stadium (Indonesia), and Nou Camp (Spain).

Points-

35-
ElfTwinkle
SpanishLiz
Leau

30-
Santana
Julia
JaneMarple
Engadine
LeoDaVinci

25-
Helen
Beaker.

Thanks for playing, and I am off to start working on the next lot

Edited by ozzz2002 (Mon Oct 04 2004 07:46 PM)

#241714 - Wed Oct 06 2004 03:38 PM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Alright, better late than never. In my defense, my home computer is being ornery, and I've been swamped at work, so couldn't get to it. But here are the results from Round 25:

Quote:

1. Any person who lived in the Brady house in the 1970's television show, The Brady Bunch.

10 points: Bobby, Cindy and Peter
5 points: Alice, Greg, Jan and Marcia
Discounted: None
Not Answered: Carol and Mike. All six children and the maid were answered, but not the parents.

Quote:

2. The name of any EA Sports video game with the year 2004 in the title.

10 points: 2004 EA Sports Madden Challenge, NASCAR Thunder 2004, NCAA Football 2004
5 points: FIFA Soccer 2004, EA Sports Fight Night 2004, MVP Baseball 2004, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
Discounted: None, but I nearly discounted the Madden Challenge. I THINK this is not actually a video game, but rather a tournament where people play the Madden NFL 2004 game against each other. That is up for debate if anyone would like to challenge my ruling.
Not Answered: NHL 2004, NBA Live 2004, NCAA March Madness 2004, Rugby 2004, Madden NFL 2004, UEFA Euro 2004. There is also a 2004 NCAA Madden Challenge, but again, I believe it is a tournament, and not a separate game.

Quote:

3. Any modern species of Genus Equus. In order to avoid confusion, please give the taxonomical name, as some species are known by similar common names.

10 points: None
5 points: E. caballus, E. burchelii, E. hemionus and E. przewalskii sylvaticus
Discounted: Donkey. The Donkey IS a member of this family, but after only two sets of answers I modified my question to ask for the taxonomical name rather than the common name to avoid confusion between all the different zebras and asses. Because I specifically asked not to answer the common names, I discounted this one. That said, if anyone wants to make a case for me counting this answer, the Donkey IS a species of Equus, AND I think only one species is associated with that animal.
Not Answered: E. zebra, E. onegar, E. Kiang and E. grevyi

Quote:

4. Name one of the twelve movements of the Four Seasons concertos by Antionio Vivaldi, by identifying the season (Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter) and movement (Largo, Allegro, etc.). (As an example: Winter Presto, which does not actually exist.) Some seasons have two movements of identical names. Please list them as either I or II based on their chronogology in the concerto.

10 points: Winter Allegro non Molto, Summer Adagio e Piano - Presto e Forte, Spring Largo, Spring Allegro I, Autumn Allegro I and Autumn Adagio Molto
5 points: Summer Allegro non Molto, Winter Largo
Discounted: Spring Largo II. Spring does not have a second Largo movement. However, since the Largo movement IS the second movement, I'm willing to admit my question may not have been worded well, and can add the points back.
Not Answered: Spring Allegro II, Summer Presto, Autumn Allegro II and Winter Allegro

Quote:

5. One of the twelve "months" on the Shire Calendar in Middle-Earth, according to Master Tolkien, who related the story.

10 points: Solmath and Winterfilth
5 points: Blotmath, Foreyule, Thrimidge and Wedmath
Discounted: None
Not Answered: Afteryule, Rethe, Astron, Forelithe, Afterlith and Halimath

And the winners are:

Leau78 - 35
JaneMarple - 35
ElfTwinkle - 35
LeoDavinci - 35

Santana2002 - 30
Helen295 - 30
Julia103 - 30
Kuu - 30
Spanishliz - 25
Engadine - 25
ozzz2002 - 25

I'll add some info to this tonight, I promise.

#241715 - Thu Oct 07 2004 04:52 AM Re: Trivia Rounds - September!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore
Maryland USA
At the beginning of the month JaneMarple asked me to track the winners, so here are the final results for the month (based on one point for each person with a daily top score):

7 points:
Julia103
6 points:
Elftwinkle
ozzz2002
Spanishliz
5 points:
Jane Marple
4 points:
LeoDaVinci
Engadine
Gatsby722
Kevinatilusa
Santana2002
3 points:
beaker411
helen295
2 points:
ChrisSchu
Leau78
1 point
Exit 10
no points
Kuu
Lothruin

This obviously adds up to more than the number of rounds that we played because many of the rounds had multiple winners.

I was curious to see how it would come out if we applied the same logic to the total score as we do for each round:
Only one winner in the round = 2 points
Several people tied = 1 point each
(Originally I tried to do this as 1 point and 1/2 point, but my spreadsheet didn't like the decimal)

Revised results:

8 points :
Spanishliz
7 points:
Julia103
ozzz2002
6 points:
ElfTwinkle
Engadine
Gatsby722
JaneMarple
Kevinatilusa