Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#243175 - Mon Oct 04 2004 03:40 AM Re: Gmail
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
This program gives a good description of what's going on and how the program works. It is shareware but there is an earlier freeware version available (see the link last post). I expect they all do more or less the the same thing.

#243176 - Mon Oct 04 2004 07:06 PM Re: Gmail
DLHenry Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Palmer Alaska USA           
Yes, google mail is not accessible through POP3 yet...this is still a beta-test.

#243177 - Mon Oct 04 2004 08:20 PM Re: Gmail
loveoflearning Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Buffalo New York USA   
I know it is not pop3 compatible yet, but I would like to be able to use thunderbird with my yahoo account. It asks me to type in info about where I recieve my mail and what I send it through, and I don't know the codes to type in.

#243178 - Tue Oct 05 2004 07:09 PM Re: Gmail
DLHenry Offline
Enthusiast

Oh, I think TW might be a good person to ask about that. I set up a POP3 account long ago, but I don't remember the keywords.

#243179 - Wed Oct 06 2004 12:07 AM Re: Gmail
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Yahoo mail is only POP3 compatible if you've signed up for the Yahoo Plus service, which costs $19.99 a year. If you're using the free version it won't work with anything but webmail.

#243180 - Wed Oct 06 2004 07:49 PM Re: Gmail
DLHenry Offline
Enthusiast

New feature for gmail. Almost like POP3.

If you want to be able to check your mail without opening a browser window and typing in the url, get Gmail notifier, a nifty little application that you can get when you sign in to your mail and click on "New Features".

#243181 - Thu Oct 07 2004 11:42 AM Re: Gmail
loveoflearning Offline
Enthusiast

I just downloaded that yesterday. Works well!

#243182 - Mon Oct 11 2004 09:45 AM Re: Gmail
inko9nito Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: TX
Quote:

You can also just go to gmail.com and check. I tried to set up Gmail through Thunderbird and wondered why I was unsuccessful. I can't even do that with Yahoo though. Can anyone explain?

Yahoo has that option disabled for a reason. I think it's now available if you upgrade to their paid service though. But it's not worth it.

I tried to use Gmail through Thunderbird too but it keeps timing out

#243183 - Mon Oct 11 2004 10:58 AM Re: Gmail
UnknownProwess Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New York, USA
I've used gmail for about a month now, and I love it. I have Four Invitations, pm me if you would like one. =]

#243184 - Mon Oct 18 2004 02:16 PM Re: Gmail
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I just got gmail through an invite from my boyfriend. I haven't played around with it much - I'll probably keep my yahoo account for much of my email - but it was SOOO easy to import my contacts! I also like the feature that allows you to see the entire conversation. And how it remembers addresses you've emailed even when you didn't add them to your contacts list.

Editor for Television Category

#243185 - Wed Nov 10 2004 10:41 PM Re: Gmail
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Just to say a few days ago I turned on and found my red 98% full indicator on Hotmail had been replaced by 1% full. The free market actually worked, thanks to Google offering so much free, I've now not only got almost unlimited storage on Hotmail to keep its customers (which worked for me!) but can now use it for more than two attached photos per email, which was impossible before.

My guess is that like HD drives on PCs, static memory must have become so much more compact in the last few years that what would take up one disc in the past could now probably fit a tenth of the space. If that's true, it should save our own wonderful site from ever slowing from its growing archives, as it would be nice if much older threads could still be accesible in another 5 years when I'll still be here! I know it was off topic, but it just made me think of the implications of expanded memory capacities

#243186 - Thu Nov 11 2004 03:54 AM Re: Gmail
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
I had the same with my Hotmail, but mine was 'upgraded' over a week or so ago! Now I have more room in all my email accounts than I know what to do with!

#243187 - Thu Nov 11 2004 04:46 AM Re: Gmail
Biggles Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: England
A few privacy issues have been raised on the Internet about the way Gmail handles your information. You'll find more about it at http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/ and on links from that page.

#243188 - Thu Nov 11 2004 01:55 PM Re: Gmail
loveoflearning Offline
Enthusiast

It's not like a human is actually reading your e-mail. It just scans it and looks for key words to find ads. I have no problem with it.

#243189 - Thu Nov 11 2004 06:00 PM Re: Gmail
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
What I am most uncomfortable with is the fact that even once you've deleted a message, it still remains stored on their servers.

Nevertheless, Gmail's pros outweigh its cons tremendously, and I'm happy using it.

#243190 - Thu Nov 11 2004 07:11 PM Re: Gmail
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Quote:

What I am most uncomfortable with is the fact that even once you've deleted a message, it still remains stored on their servers.

That's interesting, I wonder what would make them bother to do that? It must clog up their system and as we all seem to agree they don't spend the dark nights reading our private emails (OK, maybe they do...) what possible reason would make them do that?
If Hotmail had done it, I could have asked for all my old emails I needed since and revived all the stuff I lost by accident. And I bet Gmail won't do that for customers even though they clearly can. Makes you wonder...

Of course- it's email hostage! "How much will you pay us for your deleted email that has so much sentimental value to you?"

Edited by satguru (Thu Nov 11 2004 07:13 PM)

#243191 - Thu Nov 11 2004 07:16 PM Re: Gmail
loveoflearning Offline
Enthusiast

I didn't know Gmail kept your old e-mails. Are you sure those just aren't archived ones?

#243192 - Fri Nov 12 2004 01:43 AM Re: Gmail
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I won't be opening a Gmail account but not for any privacy reasons. I just don't need all that space. I once worked out how many average e-mails could be stored with average file attachments. The number involved enough zero's to give me a headache. It doesn't take much to that .

Work things out using the right-hand column of this calculator if you like. Use your own figures maybe but I think the average HTML e-mail (as opposed to plain text that takes up alot less) is about 15 or less Kilobytes. Not all e-mails have file attachments but just suppose they did. What's an average file attachment? Images are probably the largest sort, so maybe 2 - 300 Kilobytes? (less than that is better for e-mailing purposes). Type 300 into the Kilobytes box on the calculator, hit the 'Calculate' button and see how much of a Gigabyte it uses.

Even if Gmail is used purely for storage of images, only a fraction of the Gigabyte will be needed. Try the calculator on a 500Kb or even a megabyte image (images become very slow to upload after that). It's no wonder nothing ever needs deleting from Gmail. I can't think what good all that space is. It's a bit like having a cake that's the size of a football field. Very nice but not a hope of eating it all.

The privacy part wouldn't worry me. I long ago realised there is little privacy on the Internet. I'm sure my IP address (being a more or less static one) can be tracked for advertising purposes. Also, if I were up to no good on the Internet, I could be traced to my ISP ...and further if the authorities thought it necessary.

If I did have a Gmail account and e-mail information was scrutinised, what would they find out? That I'm going out mountain-biking, or that I had a good time at my birthday party? I don't mind anyone knowing the sort of information my e-mails hold. Maybe on those two subjects Google would target me with ads relevant to cycling and keep-fit products. They'll realise I need alot of puff to blow out the number of candles my cakes have these days

However, If I was into any illegal activities, or if there was anything I wanted to keep strictly confidential, I wouldn't communicate by Gmail anyway, or any other Internet method without some sort of strong encryption. Even then, nothing's 'un-crackable' I suppose.

P.S. Sorry for the bits mentioning 'cake'. I've just been eating some, so it's foremost in the mind at present.

Edited by tellywellies (Fri Nov 12 2004 03:44 AM)

#243193 - Fri Nov 12 2004 01:43 AM Re: Gmail
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
If anyone is seriously worried about their email being read then they ought not use email, it is as simple as that as it can be accessed at various stages and should never be treated as private and secure.

It never fails to amaze me that my organisation receives email from people using their work email and are asking for advice about their employment or other private issues.

#243194 - Fri Nov 12 2004 05:36 AM Re: Gmail
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Quote:

If anyone is seriously worried about their email being read then they ought not use email, it is as simple as that as it can be accessed at various stages and should never be treated as private and secure.

It never fails to amaze me that my organisation receives email from people using their work email and are asking for advice about their employment or other private issues.

Well said Sue, I couldn't agree more!

#243195 - Fri Nov 12 2004 10:46 AM Re: Gmail
ladymacb29 Offline

A lot of people are using Gmail so they can send photos of loved ones. I think that's a great idea - I hate spending all the time attaching the stupid files (one by one!) only to have the email bounce because my relative doesn't have enough space in their inbox.

And it's also good for someone like my boyfriend who has saved every single email I've ever sent him.

#243196 - Sat Nov 13 2004 02:08 PM Re: Gmail
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I only get a mere 10 megabytes from my ISP for e-mail. Yet, with this space I can upload/download whole bunches of photographs in a single zip file, as well as video clips etc. There has been one occasion when the 10 megabytes has been a bit restrictive. This was when I wanted to send about 40 holiday photos to someone. I had to do it in two zip files, which was no trouble really. This maybe demonstates how pointless a gigabyte might turn out to be.

All I'm trying to say is that, rather than it being actually useful, the 1 gigabyte may only be something offered to persuade you to sign up for Gmail's advertisements rather than anyone else's. In terms of the usefulness of storage space, I think those offering less are equally as good. Judge the email providers on their service but maybe not on the space they offer. They all offer a more than adequate amount of that.

I realise Gmail fans will now be trying to fill the gigabyte up Of course it's possible to do that if you really want to but where's the advantage? E-mails and files can be downloaded and kept on your computer's own hard disk(s). If you're worried about hard disk failures, they can backed up on CD, DVD or other media. I think this is preferable to being subject to the whims of Internet connections and speeds.

Edited by tellywellies (Sat Nov 13 2004 02:20 PM)

#243197 - Sat Nov 13 2004 03:13 PM Re: Gmail
ladymacb29 Offline

For the images, it's easy because not only do I know some people whose email accounts were too small (like my cousin in the Navy!), but I can also keep the images in my gmail account so I can access them from anywhere in the world and mail them to whomever wants them (or if they're sitting with me, I can show them without needing to email).

Yes, I can put the images on my website. But with my luck with hosts, I don't want to have to worry about that. So it's like one of the USB drives that I don't have to worry about bringing with me everywhere.

#243198 - Sun Nov 14 2004 09:58 AM Re: Gmail
achernar Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India                  
Quote:

I didn't know Gmail kept your old e-mails. Are you sure those just aren't archived ones?

From www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com
Quote:

Google offers 1 gig of storage, which is many times the storage offered by Yahoo or Hotmail, or other Internet service providers that we know about. The powerful searching encourages account holders to never delete anything. It takes three clicks to put a message into the trash, and more effort to delete this message. It's much easier to "archive" the message, or just leave it in the inbox and let the powerful searching keep track of it. Google admits that even deleted messages will remain on their system, and may also be accessible internally at Google, for an indefinite period of time.

Still, I think the guys runnig this site are just a bunch of paranoiacs getting worked up about just a few insignificant facts.

TW, I should let you know, besides storage space (on a side note: I usually use only 2-5 Mb), two major advantages of Gmail are:
a)It's incredibly fast; at least twice as fast as FastMail.FM, the site which I thought was previously the fastest.
b)There aren't any graphical adverts!

#243199 - Fri Nov 19 2004 09:07 AM Re: Gmail
ladymacb29 Offline

I have 4 invites right now if anyone wants a gmail account...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29