Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#244857 - Tue Oct 26 2004 09:48 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Round 24 is now closed. Answers and results in a couple of hours.

#244858 - Tue Oct 26 2004 05:34 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Champion Poster

ROUND 24 RESULTS

Ten people participated, with a couple of them just getting in under the wire!

1. A movie, TV movie, series or mini-series in which a real recipient of either the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honor is portrayed by an actor

Worth 10 points:
‘1915’ (1982 mini-series in which Hugh McKenzie VC was [probably*] portrayed by Martin Vaughan); ‘The Dam Busters’ (1954 movie with Guy Gibson VC played by Richard Todd); ‘Sergeant York’ (1941 movie, MoH recipient Alvin C. York was played by Gary Cooper); ‘San Demetrio, London’ (1943 movie, naval Captain E.S.F. Fegen VC (HMS Jervis Bay) was played by Lawrence O’Madden)

Worth 5 points:
‘Zulu’ (5) (1964 movie in which all 11 Rorke’s Drift VCs were portrayed, notably Bromhead by Michael Caine and Chard by Stanley Baker)

Not accepted:
Major Ralph Seton, on two counts: I was after the film title, not the person. In this case the film is ‘The Victoria Cross’ (1916). The second reason is that Seton was not a real person, but a fictional character.

*I debated a long time over accepting ‘1915’, as it was an Australian series and presumably about Aussie troops, whilst Hugh McKenzie VC was a Canadian soldier, who was awarded a posthumous VC for Passchendaele in 1917. His service records show that he was definitely in action in 1915, however, and might possibly have been represented in the mini-series. Not having seen the series I can’t be certain, and therefore felt I must accept the response.

There were many other possibilities, including:
For the Victoria Cross:
‘Dunkirk’ (1958) and ‘Dunkirk’ (2004-TV movie) in both of which Lord Gort VC was portrayed, by Cyril Raymond in the first and John Carlisle in the latter; ‘Von Richthofen and Brown’ (1971 movie in which Corin Redgrave played Lanoe Hawker VC); ‘Zulu Dawn’ (1979 prequel to ‘Zulu’, in which Christopher Cazenove played Nevill Coghill VC and James Faulkner played Teignmouth Melvill VC); ‘The Far Pavillions’ (1984 mini-series in which Benedict Taylor played Walter Hamilton VC, though this is hard to find, unless you have a copy of the book on hand)

For the Medal of Honor:
‘To Hell and Back’ (1955 movie in which Audie Murphy the actor played Audie Murphy the war hero); ‘Captain Eddie’ (1945 movie in which Fred MacMurray played Eddie Rickenbacker); ‘Baa Baa Black Sheep’ (seventies TV series in which Robert Conrad played Gregory ‘Pappy’ Boyington); ‘The Great Locomotive Chase’ (1956 movie in which several, if not all, of the Andrews’ Raiders were portrayed).

There are many more.

2. A member of the Ankh Morpork City Watch

Worth 10 points:
Sgt Fred Colon, Dorfl (a golem), Librarian (Special Ape Services), Cpl Cheery (or Cheri) Littlebottom (Forensics), Lord Havelock Vetinari*, Commander Samuel Vimes

Worth 5 points:
Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson (a very tall dwarf)(2), Reg Shoe (a zombie)(2)

*Technically, perhaps, not a member of the Watch, but as I have just finished reading ‘Night Watch’ I’m inclined to accept him as at least an honourary member.

Others not mentioned include: Sgt Angua (a werewolf), Detritus (a troll who carries a very big crossbow) and Nobby Nobbs (probably human)

3. A team that won the Stanley Cup before the formation of the NHL

Worth 10 points:
Kenora Thistles, Montreal Amateur Athletic Association, Toronto Blueshirts

Worth 5 points:
Montreal Shamrocks (2), Montreal Victorias (2), Winnipeg Victorias (2)

Not accepted: Toronto Arenas, who were the first winners of the Cup after the formation of the NHL.

4. Other than Michael Schumacher, a Formula 1 driver who finished on the podium more than once during the 2004 season

Worth 10 points:
Juan Pablo Montoya (3 podium finishes, including a win in Brazil), Jarno Trulli (2 podiums, including a win at Monaco)

Worth 5 points:
Rubens Barrichello (3)(14 podiums, including wins in Italy and China), Jenson Button (3)(ten podium finishes made up of 4 seconds and 6 thirds), Kimi Raikkonen (2)(4 podiums, including a win in Belgium)

Not mentioned: Fernando Alonso, who had four podium finishes (a second and 3 thirds)

5. A shade of blue

Worth 10 points:
Aquamarine, cobalt blue, cornflower blue, Dodger blue, ultramarine

Worth 5 points:
Navy blue (3), azure (2)

I’m sure there must be many others.

And the winner is…..

gatsby722 with 45 points

40 points: ElfTwinkle, LeoDaVinci
35 points: BbSean, beaker411, JaneMarple
30 points: Julia103, santana2002
25 points: Engadine, ozzz2002

Thanks all for playing, and congrats to gatsby!

#244859 - Wed Oct 27 2004 03:11 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
ROUND 27

Sorry, that I haven't been around much lately. For those who didn't know - I have recently moved and I have been busy painting the new house among other things.

I have misplaced my list of questions so I am hoping I haven't already posted one of following questions. If I have, I apologise.

Quote:

1) The name of a TV series made by Sir David Attenborough
2) A wife of Mickey Rooney
3) A species of hammerhead shark. There are nine. Please give the scientific name (and the common name if you like). Many species have several different common names.
4) The name of any of the Wild Republic (TM) plush animal toys that is a type of lemur
5) An Australian actor/actress who appeared in any of the three Lord of the Rings movie.

Edited by Kuu (Wed Oct 27 2004 06:10 AM)

#244860 - Wed Oct 27 2004 07:28 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 25 is now closed --- results will be posted later today.

#244861 - Wed Oct 27 2004 02:04 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Round 28.

1) Name a team in the Australian Football League (AFL), that is based in Melbourne.

2) The Sydney Exhibition Centre will be holding the 'My Home Entertainment Expo' from October 29-31. Name one of the exhibitors.

3) Name a female actor depicted on the Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album cover.

4) Tell me a 'Just So Story'.

5) Name a country whose name starts and ends with the same letter.

Good luck, all!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#244862 - Thu Oct 28 2004 01:52 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 26 over
Results soon!

#244863 - Thu Oct 28 2004 02:39 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

RESULTS!

Q1 – a letter of the alphabet situated on the middle line of a standard type writer/computer. Letters only, no other characters!
For ten points:
H, L, D, J
For five points:
A (2), K (2), G (2)
Not mentioned:
S
F

Q2. A suspect on “The Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie. This question concerns the book only.
For ten points:
Greta Olsson, Cyrus Hardman, Hildegarde Smhmidt, Mrs Hubbard, Princess Natalia Dragimiroff
For five points:
Hector McQueen (2), Colonel Arbuthnot (3),
Not mentioned :
Mary Debenham
Edward Masterman
Colonel Andrenyi
Countess Andrenyi
Antonio Foscarelli
Pierre Michel
Poirot travels on the Orient Express and (not surprisingly) a rich American is found stabbed to death. Poirot has to work out who did the murder on the snow bound train.

Q3. A weapon in the game Clue/Cluedo
For ten points:
Rope, Lead pipe
For five points:
Dagger (3), Revolver (2) Candlestick (3)
Not mentioned:
Spanner/wrench

Q4. An original Care Bear. None of the cousins or anything, and there is ten to choose from.
For ten points:
Tenderheart Bear, Bedtime Bear
For five points:
Friend Bear (3), Birthday Bear (3), Grumpy Bear (2),
Not mentioned:
Cheer Bear
Funshine Bear
Good Luck Bear
Love A Lot Bear
Wish Bear
They were first released in 1983, and a “proper” Care Bear have a heart on their right hip. Personally I like the Love A Lot one…because I’ve got her!

Q5. A command found on the status bar of Microsoft Word. For example – File. There are 8 others to choose from.
For ten points:
For five points:
Tools (2), Help (4), View (2), Edit (2),
Not mentioned:
Insert
Format
Table
Window
Maybe a lot of people here use the “Help” button!

Ten players took part

SCORES!
Ozzz – 45
Julia – 40
ElfTwinkle – 35
Engaline – 35
Leo - 35
Beaker – 30
Santana – 30
BbSean- 25
SpanishLiz – 25
Helen 295 - 25

Well Done Ozzz and to everyone else for joining in!!

#244864 - Thu Oct 28 2004 05:17 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Trivia Rounds - October: Round 25 (Oct. 25th): 7 players participated

Name:

1) An animal whose name begins with a letter A thru D (other than Beagle) that Snoopy has, "appeared as, imagined himself to be, or played the role of" in the comic strip Peanuts:

10 points: Beaver

5 points: Alaskan Sled Dog (2), Alligator (3)

Not Accepted: Belle - Belle is Snoopy's sister, NOT an animal that Snoopy has, "appeared as, imagined himself to be, or played the role of"

Not mentioned: Dinosaur, Calf, Bloodhound, Cow, Cricket, Bird, Bat, Circus Dog, Anteater, Bald Eagle

Note: Alaskan Sled Dog was accepted even though it is a dog because it is not a "Beagle" (There are a few other "dogs" that Snoopy appeared as that would have been accepted, but any of the "dog" roles that included the word "Beagle" would not have been accepted)

2) A Canadian who has played in at least one World Series game --- The Canadian player(s) participating in the current/2004 World Series will be accepted as a valid answer (Played means: they either were in the starting lineup or entered a game as a substitution --- a player who is/was on a team's roster but did not see any actual game action in a World Series game will not be accepted)

10 points: Reggie Cleveland (Swift Current, Saskatchewan) - the only Canadian pitcher to ever start a World Series game - he appearred as a member of the Boston Red Sox in 1975 ... John Hiller (Toronto, Ontario) for the 1968 Detroit Tigers - probably best remebered for his comeback in the 1970's when he returned to playing in the Major Leagues after suffering a stroke/heart attack (not sure which and some sources say stroke while others say heart attack) ... George Selkirk (Huntsville, Ontario) is Canada's King of the World Series, having played in six with the Yankees in 1936-39, and 1941-42. Selkirk won five World Series rings, compiling a .265 average (18-for-68), two home runs and 10 RBI ... Bill O'Neill (Toronto, Ontario) had one at-bat in the 1906 World Series for the Chicago White Sox ... Larry Walker (Maple Ridge, British Columbia) appearred in the just ended 2004 World Series with the St. Louis Cardinals

5 points: Jack Graney (St. Thomas, Ontario) played in three games with the Cleveland Indians in the 1920 World Series (2)

Not mentioned: Rob Butler (Toronto, Ontario) went 1-for-2, appearing in two games when the Blue Jays won their second consecutive World Series in 1993 ... Jimmy Archer (Montreal, Quebec) was 2-for-14 in four games with the 1907 Tigers and 1910 Chicago Cubs ... George "Moonie" Gibson (London, Ontario), a catcher with the 1909 World Series Champion Pittsburgh Pirates, batted .240 (6-for-25) in seven games ... John Rutherford (Belleville, Ontario) with the 1952 Brooklyn Dodgers ... Ron Taylor (Toronto, Ontario) played in a pair of World Series, with the 1964 Cardinals and the 1969 Mets, pitched 7 innings over 4 games - Taylor compiled a 0.00 ERA without allowing a base hit and striking out five, and notched two saves

Note: The feat of playing in a World Series is especially rare for Canadians --- 284-game winner Fergie Jenkins (Chatham, Ontario), the best Canuck ever to dawn a uniform, never had the opportunity despite a Hall of Fame 19-year career --- 15-year veteran Terry Puhl (Melville, Saskatchewan) set an NLCS record when he batted .526 (10 for 19) for the Astros in 1980, but didn't play in a World Series.
Cody McKay (Vancouver, British Columbia) also qualified for the 2004 playoffs with the St. Louis Cardinals, but was NOT included on the Cardinals active World Series roster --- Canadian Baseball Hall of Famer Dave McKay (Vancouver, British Columbia) coached 1st base for St. Louis in the 2004 World Series --- Dave McKay is Cody's Dad.

3) A novel by Danielle Steel which has a title that begins with a letter from A thru F

10 points: Answered Prayers, Daddy, Echoes

5 points: Crossings (2), Fine Things (2)

Not mentionned: Accident, Bittersweet, Changes, Crossings, Dating Game, Family Album, Five Days in Paris, Full Circle

4) A player who has won the Conn Smythe Trophy as a member of the losing team

10 points: Roger Crozier of the 1966 Detroit Red Wings, Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the 2003 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Glenn Hall of the 1968 St. Louis Blues

5 points: Ron Hextall of the 1987 Philadelphia Flyers (2), Reg Leach of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers 920

5) An independent country that has a flag that has ONLY 2 hortizontal stripes (NO decorations)

10 points:

5 points: Ukraine (3), Haiti(2), Indonesia

Not mentionned: Monaco. Poland

Note: Haiti is an acceptable answer - The national flag of Haiti is just 2 hortizontal stripes with NO decorations --- only the state flag includes the national coat of arms.

Results

Spanishliz: 45 points

Engadine: 35 points
Santana: 35 points

BbSean: 30 points
LeoDaVinci: 30 points
Ozzz2002: 30 points

Beaker411: 25 points

Congratulations to Spanishliz who collects a point for this round.

Thanks for playing everyone!

Edited by ElfTwinkle (Thu Oct 28 2004 08:24 PM)

#244865 - Thu Oct 28 2004 05:21 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Round 29

Hi all, stepping in for an overworked and underpaid Gats! Hope you like the Aussie slant! Good Luck!

1. Name a song from the album 'Crawl File' by Australian Crawl.

2. Name an Australian Prime Minister who served between 1940 and 1945, and the political party he represented.

3. Name one of the main characters (there are four) in the 1918 novel by Norman Lindesay, 'The Magic Pudding'.

4. Name one of Australia's external territories (there are seven).

5. Name a member of either the Australian or New Zealand Rugby League Football teams who scored a try in the Tri-Nations match played on 23 October 2004.

#244866 - Thu Oct 28 2004 06:35 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Champion Poster

Great info about the Canadian ball players, ElfTwinkle!

Part of Fergie's problem was spending time with both the Cubs and the Red Sox! First MLB game I went to, Fergie and the Sox shut out the Jays 9-0! Heck of a game!

#244867 - Fri Oct 29 2004 02:47 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Round 27 is closed. However I won't be able to put the answers up for a few hours as I am going out to dinner.

#244868 - Fri Oct 29 2004 04:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Have a good one Kuu!

#244869 - Fri Oct 29 2004 07:16 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Kuu Offline
Prolific

I had a good time - I actually dinner with 4 good-looking guys (and without my hubby around ). I had too much wine to drink - I am a very cheap drunk in that I get tipsy on three wines - I had to drink the wine because I ordered Mongolian Lamb and it was a little hot

So, because I am tipsy, I will post the answers in the morning. I am sure you all can wait to then.

#244870 - Fri Oct 29 2004 07:19 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

I'm green with envy Kuu - half your luck!

#244871 - Fri Oct 29 2004 06:23 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Answers to Round 26

Question 1 - David Attenborough Series

Worth 10 points
The First Eden, The Tribal Eye, Wildlife on One, Life of Mammals

Worth 5 points
The Private Life of Plants (2), Life of Birds (3)

I had to disallow 'Cities of the Wild' as it was a documentary film not a series.

Question 2 - Wife of Mickey Rooney

Worth 10 points
Jan(uary) Chamberlin, Margie Lane, Barbara Ann Thomason

Worth 5 points
Elaine Mahnken/Devry (2), Ava Gardner (2), Martha Vickers (3)

Question 3 - Hammerhead shark (I will give common name and species name - I won't worry about genus name)

Worth 10 points
Smooth hammerhead (zygaena), bronze hammerhead (lewini), broadhead hammerhead (blochii), Great giant hammerhead (mokarran)

Worth 5 points
White fin hammerhead (Couardi) (2), Bonnethead (tiburo) (2), Scoophead (media) (2)

Question 4 - Wild Republic toy that is a lemur

Worth 10 points
Longtemps (who is a sifaka - which is a type of lemur), Nakissa, Thabo

Worth 5 points
Roozani (4 points), Lisha (3)

You can blame my teenage daughter for this question. She has about 30 Wild Republic hanging around in her room

Question 5 - Australian actor who appeared in LOTR

Worth 10 points
John Noble (as Denethor), David Wenham (as Faramir), Hugo Weaving (as Elrond), Mark Ferguson(as Gil-Galad).

Mark Ferguson is an Australian-born, New Zealand-based actor who appeared for a few seconds in Fellowship of the Rng. Good answer.

Worth 5 points
Cate Blanchett (as Galadriel) (3), Miranda Otto (2)

Liv Tyler was a wrong answer. She is an American and is the daughter of Steven Tyler (lead singer of the band Aerosmith).

Scores

Leo Da Vinci 40
Gatsby722 40

Julia103 - 35
Elftwinkle - 35
ozzz2002 - 35
Jane Marple - 30
Engadine - 30
beaker411 - 30
Santana2002 - 30
BbSEAN - 25

Edited by Kuu (Fri Oct 29 2004 06:26 PM)

#244872 - Fri Oct 29 2004 10:33 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Round 28 Results.

1) Name a team in the Australian Football League (AFL), that is based in Melbourne.

10 points
Kangaroos, Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda

5 points
Demons (Melbourne) (4)

Not mentioned- Hawthorn, Richmond, Bulldogs, Collingwood

2) The Sydney Exhibition Centre will be holding the 'My Home Entertainment Expo' from October 29-31. Name one of the exhibitors.

10 points
Foxtel, BOSE, Epson, Samsung, Harvey Norman, Electronic Arts

5 points
OzeMail (2)

3) Name a female actor depicted on the Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album cover.
10 points
No-one

5 points
Marlene Deitrich (3), Mae West (2), Shirley Temple (3).

Other were Marilyn Monroe and Diana Dors.

4) Tell me a 'Just So Story'.

10 points
The Butterfly That Stamped, The Elephant's Child, How The Camel Got His Hump, The Cat Who Walked By Himself

5 points
How The Leopard Got His Spots, The Crab Who Played With The Sea.

Rudyard Kipling's other offerings are- How The Whale Got His Throat, How The Rhinoceros Got His Skin, The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo (my favourite), The Beginning Of The Armadillos, How The First Letter Was Written, How The Alphabet Was Made. All can be found in full here.

5) Name a country whose name starts and ends with the same letter.

10 points
Andorra, Eire, Central African Republic, St Kitts and Nevis.

5 points
Albania (2), Australia (2)

Not mentioned- Many more, mostly beginning with 'A', but Czech Republic and Solomon Islands would have worked, too.

Scores

BbSean, Santana 45
ElfTwinkle- 40
Gatsby, Beaker, Engadine, LeoDaVinci- 35
JaneMarple- 30

Congrats to our winners, and thank you all for playing!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#244873 - Sun Oct 31 2004 12:43 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California USA       
Round 30:

Name:

1. A nation which remained neutral during World War II
2. A Major League Baseball team which has played every year from 1970-2004 but which failed to win a World Series in that period.
3. An actor who has played Sir Lancelot on film
4. A Labor of Hercules
5. A state which will be worth exactly 3 electoral votes in Tuesday's U.S. Presidential election

Once again I am pretty late in getting this thing out (my apologies!). The round will close about 48 hours from now.

#244874 - Sun Oct 31 2004 04:16 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Round 31 - Last for October.

Name:
1. An island off the coast of Queensland.
2. A philosopher BCE.
3. A makeup/cosmetic company starting with 'C'.
4. A member of the United Nations admitted in 1992.
5. A Russian monarch of the House of Rurik.

#244875 - Sun Oct 31 2004 05:18 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Rnd 29 is now closed - results shortly!

#244876 - Sun Oct 31 2004 06:48 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Answers to Round 29

1. Name a song from the album 'Crawl File' by Australian Crawl.
The album, ‘Crawl File’ was released in December 1984, the following fourteen songs were featured: Beautiful People; Things Don't Seem; Indisposed; Unpublished Critics; Errol; White Limbo; Shutdown; Letter from Zimbabwe; Oh No, Not You Again; Reckless (Don't You Be So...); Lakeside; Hootchie Gucci Fiorucci Mama; Downhearted; and, Boys Light Up. Australian Crawl formed in 1978. A pop rock band featuring, in the original line-up; James Reyne (vocals), Simon Binks (lead guitar), Brad Robinson (rhythm guitar), Paul Williams (bass), David Reyne (drums). Bill McDonough replaced David Reyne and singer/guitarist Guy McDonough joined in October 1980. Bill McDonough left in 1983 with John Watson (ex-Kevin Borich Express) permanently replacing him. Guy McDonough died in June 1984. Australian Crawl broke up in the beginning of 1986. James Reyne pursued a somewhat successful solo career. Brad Robinson moved to television, then in the 1990s he managed James and David Reyne. He died in October 1996, only weeks after Australian Crawl had been inducted into the Australian Record Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame.
10 Points
Unpublished Critics, Beautiful People, Indisposed
5 Points
Oh No Not You Again (2), White Limbo (2)

2. Name an Australian Prime Minister who served between 1940 and 1945, and the political party he represented.
There were five Australian Prime Ministers who served between 1940 and 1945, as follows: Sir Robert Gordon Menzies, United Party of Australia (later Liberal Party), from 1939 to 1941, was Australia’s longest serving Prime Minister, he held the office twice, altogether he was Prime Minister for over 17 years – still the record term for an Australian Prime Minister.. Sir Arthur William Fadden, Country Party, from 29 August to 7 October 1941. As well as his ‘40 days and 40 nights’ in office, he was acting Prime Minister for periods totalling nearly two years during his coalition governments with Prime Minister Robert Menzies. John Joseph Curtin, Labor Party, from 1941 to 1945, 14th Prime Minister, widely regarded as one of the greatest with his leadership of the nation during much of World War II. Curtin rejected the British strategy for Australian troops and enabled the successful defence of New Guinea, in a remarkable move, he put US General Douglas MacArthur in charge of Australia’s defence forces, and although he had been a strong opponent of conscription during World War I, Curtin made the decision to send conscripted troops to serve outside Australia. John Curtin died in office, on 5 July 1945, just six weeks before the end of the war in the Pacific. Francis Michael (Frank) Forde, Labor Party, caretaker Prime Minister in July 1945 for only eight days, 6–13 July 1945, after the death of John Curtin. Joseph Benedict (Ben) Chifley, Labor Party, 1945 to 1948, the 16th Prime Minister who was a railway engine driver in his home town of Bathurst. Ben Chifley died on 13 June 1951.
10 Points
Ben Chifley (Labor Party)
5 Points
Arthur William Fadden – United Australia Party / Country Party (3), John Curtin - Labor Party (3)

3. Name one of the main characters (there are four) in the 1918 novel by Norman Lindesay, 'The Magic Pudding'.
Norman Lindesay was one of Australia’s most famous artists, a sculptor, painter and novelist. ‘The Magic Pudding’ is one of Australia’s best loved children’s books which tells the story of Albert, the never ending pudding and his owner’s constant battles against the low down puddin’ thieves! Norman Lindesay’s original illustrations for ‘The Magic Pudding’ are held at the State Library of NSW. The four main characters are as follows: Albert, the Magic Pudding; Bunyip Bluegum; Sam Sawnoff; and, Bill Barnacle.
10 Points
Albert (The never-ending Pudding)
5 Points
Sam Sawnoff (3), Bunyip Bluegum (3)

4. Name one of Australia's external territories (there are seven).
Australia’s external territories are: Territory of Cocos (Keeling) Islands; Territory of Christmas Island; Territory of Ashmore and Cartier Islands; Coral Sea Islands Territory; Territory of Heard and McDonald Islands; Australian Antarctic Territory; and, Norfolk Island.
10 Points
Norfolk Island, Cocos (Keeling) Island, Ashmore and Cartier Islands
5 Points
Coral Sea Islands (2), Heard / Heard and McDonald Islands (2)

5. Name a member of either the Australian or New Zealand Rugby League Football teams who scored a try in the Tri-Nations match played on 23 October 2004.
Try scorers were: for New Zealand, Cairns born fullback, Brent Webb, Lesley Vainikolo and Vinnie Anderson. The Kangaroos try scorers were Luke Rooney, Darren Lockyer (2), Willie Tonga, Petero Civoniceva.
10 Points
Lesley Vainikolo, Luke Rooney, Willie Tonga, Shaun Berrigan, Vinnie Anderson
Disallowed
Logan Swann didn’t score a try, he did however, pass an inside ball to Vinnie Anderson who scored a try!

7 Players, Results as Follows

Elftwinkle, helen295 40
Ozzz2002, JaneMarple 35
Gatsby, BbSean 30
beaker411 20

Congrat’s to Elf and Helen and thank you to everyone for playing my inaugural Trivia Round!

#244877 - Sun Oct 31 2004 07:01 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'd call that an excellent job, Engadine!

#244878 - Mon Nov 01 2004 02:18 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

So would I...Well done!!

#244879 - Tue Nov 02 2004 01:14 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Round 31 is now closed. Results up in a couple of hours.

#244880 - Tue Nov 02 2004 01:25 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 30 is now closed.

#244881 - Tue Nov 02 2004 02:34 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 30 Results:

There were 7 players this round.

1. A nation which remained neutral during World War II

10 points: Portugal, Switzerland
5 points: Ireland (2), Sweden (2)
Not accepted: Norway
Other acceptable answers: Andorra, Liechtenstein, Spain, Uruguay, (possibly others as well)

Ireland (then part of Britain, though trying to break away) had previously been dragged into World War I when Britain joined, and lingering resentment from that event may have contributed to its unwillingness to join Britain's side in World War II. Spain had just come off its own civil war in 1939, and signed an agreement with Portugal stating that Iberia would remain neutral. Switzerland's appearance on a list of neutral nations is unsurprising, and Sweden managed to remain neutral despite being surrounded by Norway, Finland, and Denmark. Most of the other neutral countries were either too small, too far away, or a mixture of the two.

Norway had wished to remain neutral, but it was invaded by Germany in April of 1940 and remained occupied through the end of the war (though there was a fierce resistence movement throughout)

2. A baseball team that's been around since 1970 w/o winning the world series

10 points: Montreal Expos, San Francisco Giants
5 points: Chicago Cubs (2), San Diego Padres (2)
One person didn't answer

The full list of acceptible answers would be:
Chicago Cubs (last won in 1908), Chicago White Sox (1917), Cleveland Indians (1948), San Francisco Giants (1954), Texas Rangers (founded in 1961, never won), Houston Astros (founded 1962, never won), Milwaukee Brewers (founded 1969, never won), Montreal Expos (founded 1969, never won) San Diego Padres (founded 1969, never won). The Boston Red Sox were third on the list until they won their first crown since 1918 last week.

3. An actor playing Sir Lancelot in Film
10 points: Ioan Gruffudd, Robert Taylor
5 points: Ian Falconer
Not accepted: Clive Owen, Eric Idle, Robert Neal Marshall

Ian Falconer played Lancelot in 1994's "A Young Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Robert Taylor played him in 1953's "Knights of the Round Table", and Ioan Gruffudd did so in 2004's "King Arthur".

Eric Idle did play Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir-Launcelot (plus 6 other roles) in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", but the role of Sir Launcelot fell to John Cleese. Similarly, Clive Owen was in "King Arthur", but not as Lancelot. As far as I can tell, Robert Neal Marshall never played Lancelot on film (though he did have the role on stage in New Jersey).

4. A Labor of Hercules
10: Killing the Lernean Hydra, Driving away the Stymphalian Birds, Taming the Cretan Bull, Capturing the Mares of Diomedes, Getting the Girdle of Hippolyta, Bringing back the Cattle of Geryon, Fetching the golden apples of the Hesperides (everybody!)

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hercules/ has a ton of information about both Hercules' labors and about his life and death.

5. A State Worth 3 Electoral Votes
10: Montana, Wyoming
5: South Dakota (2), Vermont (2)
Not accepted: Florida (27 votes)

Other acceptable answers would have been Alaska, Delaware, and North Dakota. Although the electoral votes for most states fluctuate around quite a bit with population, Delaware's been stuck at 3 (the lowest possible) since 1832!

Final Results:

40: Beaker411, ElfTwinkle
35: Julia103, Ozzz2002
30: BbSean
25: Gatsby722
15: JaneMarple

Thanks for playing everybody, and Congrats to Beaker411 and ElfTwinkle!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002