Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#246126 - Mon Oct 18 2004 01:16 PM Cathedral cities in Europe
djp10t Offline
Learning the ropes...

OK So how many cities in Europe have a Cathedral.
If a city has 2 Cathedrals just count it as 1 city.
Does not matter about what religion it is, it has to be an official CITY and have at least 1 CATHEDRAL.

#246127 - Mon Oct 18 2004 03:23 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

#246128 - Mon Oct 18 2004 05:18 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Gloucester, England

#246129 - Tue Oct 19 2004 07:05 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Bourges (France) - St. Etienne

#246130 - Tue Oct 19 2004 08:09 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
You beat me to it, Engadine. I've been to St Etienne - it's well known for having such a tall tower. The height of the cathedral is incredible, just standing inside and looking up at the ceiling can make you feel dizzy.

So I will go for my home city:
Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland

#246131 - Tue Oct 19 2004 10:59 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: the amusement arcade of life
Salamanca City in Spain, listed as a World Heritage Site, boasts two cathedrals.

#246132 - Tue Oct 19 2004 03:25 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, Ireland

#246133 - Wed Oct 20 2004 06:08 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
ren33 Offline

Truro, Cornwall
PS should we say something about each one.
If so, Gloucester has the most beautiful fan tracery above the cloisters which are seen in the Harry Potter films.
Truro has wonderful series of stained glass windows by Clayton and Bell, and the world-famous Father Willis Organ. The windows contain some of the greatest examples of Victorian stained glass in the world.

#246134 - Wed Oct 20 2004 11:45 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Uspensky Cathedral, Helsinki, Finland

The main Orthodox church in Helsinki was built in 1868.

#246135 - Thu Oct 21 2004 06:33 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
doomed Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Eastbourne Sussex UK       
Canterbury Cathedral is a beautiful work of wonder.

#246136 - Thu Oct 21 2004 12:49 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Brecon Cathedral. One of two modern cathedrals in Wales.

#246137 - Thu Oct 21 2004 01:59 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Rome, Italy - ought to have been obvious.

#246138 - Thu Oct 21 2004 02:36 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
flem-ish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
Twin-spired cathedral of Cologne. Cathedrals of Worms and Speyer. Freiburg. Ulm. Etc.
Coventry Cathedral in England.
Tournai in Belgium. (In French: "Avec cinq clochers et quatre SANS cloches", usually misread as : "Avec cinq clochers et quatre CENTS cloches". English version: "With five bell-towers four of which have no bells." Misread as "With five bell-towers and four hundred bells."

#246139 - Thu Oct 21 2004 06:05 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
The list could get very long indeed! I live in Norwich, which has a magnificent medieval cathedral, started in Norman times (1094). The work on the building continued till well after 1400 onwards.

About 55 miles from here is Ely Cathedral, with its very unusual crossing in the form of an octogonal lantern.

Somewhat further (about 100 miles from Norwich), but still in eastern England, is Lincoln. Like most of the old English cathedrals, it was started in Norman times, but it was devastated by an earthquake, with the result that it is rather more Gothic than most English cathedrals. It stands on the top of a steep hill and is spectacularly situated. In good weather it is visible on all the roads leading to the city within a radius of at least 15 miles (about 23 km).

In England the expression "cathdedral city" suggests to many a rather small, idyllic, "olde worlde" place that isn't a place of major importance. Actually, many English cathedral cities are also county capitals and thus quite busy (for example, Exeter and Chester) and are not necessarily idyllic. Of those that I know, Southwell in Nottinghamshire, probably comes closest to the "olde worlde" image. Another candidate is Salisbury.

One of my favorites is Durham. The cathedral (and the old city) are situated on a rock that towers above a U-bend in the River Wear. Like Lincoln, its situation is spectacular.

I could go on and on, but most leave some unmentioned so that others can name them.

There are of course many, many cathedral cities in Eastern and Southern Europe, too. Lest they get overlooked, I'll just mention Catania and Palermo in Sicily with their highly electic architecture.

Let's not forget Istanbul and Moscow, either, though I dobut if they are widely called "cathedral cities". Nevertheless, they have been (and sometimes still are) referred to the Second and Third Rome respectively.

#246140 - Thu Oct 21 2004 06:29 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
ren33 Offline

The smallest Cathedral in Europe is in Millport,Scotland

#246141 - Fri Oct 22 2004 02:31 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

Salisbury Cathedral, England

Quote:

Salisbury is one of the few Cathedrals built in the shape of a double cross with the arms of the transept branching off on either side. The cloisters are larger and older than any other of the English cathedrals.

The spire was added 100 years after its concecration and its immense weight, some 6000 tons, meant much strengthening. The Cathedral is home to a wealth of history and many unique treasures including an ancient clock mechanism dating from 1386 and said to be the oldest piece of machinery still at work in Britain, if not the entire world.

#246142 - Fri Oct 22 2004 04:10 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Cathedral of St John, Sligo, Ireland

Quote:

In 1730, the German architect Cassels came to Ireland to build Hazelwood House for the Wynnes.
He was commissioned to design St. John's.
Cassels was very much influenced by the Basilican pattern when building St. John's.
The Cathedral was described in 1752 by Pococke - "The church is the design of Mr. Cassels, it is in the form of a cross with galleries at every end, except the east.
The roof is a curious piece of work."

#246143 - Fri Oct 22 2004 04:37 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
bloomsby Offline

A little point in response to the original question. Practically all the larger capital cities in Europe, and some other large cities have one or more cathedrals. For example, London has not only St. Paul's, but also Southwark Cathdral (closely surrounded on all sides by railway lines on embankments). Oh, what a mess! There's also the Roman Catholic Westminster Cathderal, not to be confused with Westminster Abbey. Then there's also the Roman Catholic Southwark Cathedral ... and there's at least one Othodox cathedral in London.

Manchester has an Anglican cathedral - and the Roman Catholic Salford cathedral. Liverpool, has also has two cathedrals - the vast and faintly grotesque incomplete Anglican cathedral and the modern Roman Catholic Cathedral.

However, in England people don't normally refer to London, Manchester or Liverpool as "cathedral cities". The term seems to used mainly for cities where the cathedral in some sense plays a key role in the life of the city. The place doesn't necessarily have to be idyllic but in ordinary British English usage the fact that there is a cathedral in a city doesn't in itself make it a "cathedral city". (For example, Chelmsford has a cathedral, but I don't think anyone refers to it as a "cathedral city"; I'm not even sure that it has city status). I hope these comments aren't going to confuse people.

Just in case they get forgotten, I'd like to mention Winchester, the old capital of Wessex, and also for a time, of England. It, too, has a splendid cathedral. There's also Lichfield, with its amazingly ornate west facade ...

Edited by bloomsby (Fri Oct 22 2004 04:45 PM)

#246144 - Fri Oct 22 2004 04:48 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
bloomsby Offline

Oops. No-one has yet mentioned York! That's quite an omission. (The fact that the cathedral there is called "York Minster" doesn't affect matters).

#246145 - Fri Oct 22 2004 10:04 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
St Davids

The smallest city in the UK.

You don't even know it's there, until you wander down a short street, and finally come across this magnificent sight at the bottom of the hill.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#246146 - Fri Oct 22 2004 10:09 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
Christchurch Cathedral, Oxford

I can't let Oxford go without a mention. Christchurch is the smallest English cathedral.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#246147 - Sat Oct 23 2004 11:23 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
djp10t Offline
Learning the ropes...

so no complete final numbers then?
Come on all the bookworms/www surfers there must be a total somewhere?

#246148 - Sat Oct 23 2004 01:33 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
That's probably why it was set as a quiz question by the Cathedral City cheese people as it's going to be a very hard total to find!

#246149 - Sat Oct 23 2004 04:34 PM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
ren33 Offline

I am thinking that it is a most interesting thread anyway, and had forgotten , really that we were counting!

#246150 - Mon Oct 25 2004 12:42 AM Re: Cathedral cities in Europe
izzi Offline
Multiloquent

>>>so no complete final numbers then?
Come on all the bookworms/www surfers there must be a total somewhere?<<<

Hi,djp10t

As you are a new member it might be helpful to just clarify a few points for you. Allow me refer you to our
Challenge Forum Guidelines which can be found at the top of this particular forum.

Quote:

Hello and welcome to the Challenge section of the Fun Trivia Forums. This is where you can try to stump us all with a challenge or two. If you are just after the answer to a question head over to the Why is the Sky Blue? forum.

...you are normally asked to answer one at a time and wait for others to answer so that people from all the time zones can have a go.

I'm afraid that if you are hoping for a total number then it may very well take several months at this rate.

However, if MaggieG is correct and your question has been taken from a commercial quiz, then I believe the current thinking is that it wouldn't really be fair for us to provide you with a prizewinning answer.

Then again, as Ren has said, this is an interesting thread, so I hope that it will continue.

Edited by izzi (Mon Oct 25 2004 01:06 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002