ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Nope, Cinnamon, I miscounted.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#247412 - Fri Nov 12 2004 08:53 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Well, I've been known to miss things that are right in front of my face!
Thanks for the clarification!

#247413 - Fri Nov 12 2004 01:34 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

Round 11

A cricketer who has scored a triple century in a Test match (and his score!).

Is this a history question or a sports question?

#247414 - Fri Nov 12 2004 02:03 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
ozzz2002 Offline

NSW Australia
Could be either, Leo, but I would lean towards sport

#247415 - Fri Nov 12 2004 05:50 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Round 10 is closed.

Answers and scores up within an hour.

#247416 - Fri Nov 12 2004 06:37 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
ANSWERS TO ROUND 10

Question 1 - Landlocked African country

Worth 10 points
Uganda, Ethiopia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Chad, Lesotho, Swaziland, Malawi

Worth 5 points
Central Sfrican Republic (2)

A full brother or full sister of Ned Kelly

Worth 10 points
Kate

Worth 5 points
Dan (3), Margaret/Maggie (4), Jim/James (2)

Not mentioned were Mary Jane (died as a baby), Annie (died in childbirth aged 16) and the youngest, Grace.

Mrs Kelly had four other children after her husband John Kelly died. One,a girl named Ellen was born out of wedlock On the birth certificate Mrs Kelly gave John Kelly's name though he had been dead for five years.This Ellen died as an infant. Mrs Kelly later married an American, John King, and had three children to him - another Ellen, Jack and Alice.

Question 3 - character from Dad's Army

Worth 10 points
Warden William Hodges

Worth 5 points
Frank Pike (4), James "Jock" Frazer (5)

Question 4 - Breed of dog starting with D
Worth 10 points
Doberman, Dogue de Bordeaus

Worth 5 points
Dalmation (3), Dachshund (3), Dandie Dinmont terrier (2)

Question 5 - Battle of Britain nationality

Worth 10 points
French, Czech, Jamaican (there was a single Jamaican)

Worth five points
Australia (3), British (2),Canadian (2)

Someone answered Scottish but I put that in 'British'

Not mentioned
New Zealanders (there were 103 New Zealanders that took part which is quite a high number for such a small country), Southern Rhodesian (2 men), South African, American (9 men), Palestinian (1 man), Polish, Belgian and Irish. I think that is all the nations.

SCORES

35 points
ozzz2002, JaneMarple, cinnam0n, BbSean, Santana2002, elfwinkle

30 points
Exit10, gatsby722

25 points
Engadine

#247417 - Sat Nov 13 2004 10:13 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
ozzz2002 Offline

NSW Australia
Round 11 results.

1) In August 1994, New Zealand issued a set of stamps titled 'Wild Animals'. Name of of the animals depicted.

10 points- Elephant, Zebra, Lion
5 points- Panda (2), Polar Bear (3), Giraffe (2).
Not mentioned- Hippopotamus, Rhinoceros, Monkey, Tiger.

2) A railway station on Sydney's Eastern Suburbs Line.
10 points- Redfern, Martin Place, Edgecliff
5 points- Central (2), Kings Cross (2), Bondi Junction (2)
0 points- Wynyard, which is on the North Shore and City Circle lines.
Not mentioned- Town Hall

3) A cricketer who has scored a triple century in a Test match (and his score!).

10 points- Matthew Hayden, Australia (380 runs), Sanath Jayasuriya, Sri Lanka (340), Mark Taylor, Australia (334 not out), Donald Bradman, Australia (334), Graham Gooch, England (333).
5 points- Virender Sehwag, India (309) (5!).
Not mentioned- Brian Lara, Gary Sobers, Len Hutton, Hanif Mohammed, Walter Hammond, Andrew Sandham, Bob Simpson.

4) A species of penguin.

10 points- Snares Island Penguin.
5 points- Chinstrap (3), Emperor (2), Macaroni (2), Fairy (2).
Not mentioned- Gentoo, Adelie, Humboldt, and about a dozen more.

5) An American president who was over the age of 60 when he took office.

10 points- Dwight Eisenhower (62 when he took office)
5 points- William Harrison, 68 (2), zachary Taylor, 64 (2), Ronald Reagan, 69 (3), James Buchanan, 65 (2).
Others include- George Bush Snr, Andrew Jackson, John Adams, Gerald Ford and Harry Truman.

The all-important scores...

45 points - Justanobody
35- ElfTwinkle, JaneMarple, Taesma
30- Beaker, Santana, Engadine
25- Julia, Cinnam0n
20- Gatsby

Thank you all for playing, and congrats to Justanobody...

#247418 - Sat Nov 13 2004 11:29 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California USA       
Round 13:

Name:

1. A U.S. State bordering on at least one Great Lake.
2. A Nobel Laureate whose spouse also won a Nobel Prize (Economics counts as a Nobel Prize for this question)
3. A work by C.S. Lewis other than those contained in the "Chronicles of Narnia".
4. A Nation which joined the United Nations in 1994 or later.
5. A movie put out by Pixar Animation Studios.

The round will close about 48 hours from now (fairly late on Monday)

#247419 - Sun Nov 14 2004 04:54 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Round 14

Name:
1. One of the countries to receive a gold, silver or bronze medal in the singles, doubles and mixed of badminton at the Athens Olympics.

2. A homonym with four or more variables. (eg. To, two, and too is three)

3.An ingredient of Vegemite.

4. An Australian of the Year between 1960 and 1975.

5. A breed of pterosaur.

#247420 - Sun Nov 14 2004 06:09 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
ROund 12 is now closed - answers shortly!

#247421 - Sun Nov 14 2004 06:50 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

1. Name a song NOT written by Don Walker, from the album 'East' by Cold Chisel (there are five).

Cold Chisel’s line-up included Jimmy Barnes - lead vocalist, Ian Moss - lead guitarist, Don Walker - piano and synthesiser, Phil Small - bass guitarist and Steve Prestwich - drums. The ‘East’ album was recorded in Sydney in March and April 1980 and, of the twelve songs on the album, five were not written by Don Walker.

10 Points - ‘My Turn To Cry’ (Jimmy Barnes)
5 Points - ‘Never Before’ (Ian Moss)

Not Mentioned - ‘Rising Sun’ (Jimmy Barnes), ‘My Baby’ (Phil Small), ‘Best Kept Lies’ (Steve Prestwich)

2. The death of English cricket was referred to in 1882 in a mock in memoriam notice that appeared in the Sporting Times. Name one of the players from the successful Australian team who played in the match, completed 29 August.

The third Australian team to tour England achieved the then unthinkable! Captained by W L Murdoch they beat England at Kennington Oval, after winning the Toss, by seven runs! Lamenting the death of English cricket, the Sporting Times reported, in a mock obituary the following day, "in affectionate remembrance of English cricket, which died at the Oval on 29th August, 1882". It added: "The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia." When the next England team toured Australia, the Hon Ivo Bligh (then English Captain) was presented with an urn containing the burnt remains of the stumps and bails from the 1882 Test. Thus "The Ashes" became a tangible sporting prize, although the urn has always remained in the safekeeping of cricket's spiritual home, Lord's!

5 Points - F R Spofforth

Everybody named the Australian Bowler, Fred Spofforth! Australian Players Not Mentioned were - A C Bannerman, H H Massie, W L Murdoch, G J Bonnor, T P Horan, G Giffen, J M Blackham, T W Garrett, H F Boyle and S P Jones.

3. Name either the month and year, the character portrayed or the operatic piece that Joan Sutherland made her debut in at Covent Garden.

Joan Sutherland, OM, (born in Sydney, 7 November 1926) is a famous Australian coloratura soprano opera singer who contributed to the bel canto revival of the late 1950s and early 1960s. In 1951 she won Australia's most important vocal competition and went to London to study at the Opera School of the Royal College of Music. She made her European debut at the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden on 28 October 1952 as the First Lady in Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute). She retired in 1990. (I made this question hard to adjudicate so I decided, as those who answered correctly all put their answers ‘differently’, I’ll give each of them 10 Points!)

10 Points - Die Zauberflöte, 1952 - First Lady - The Magic Flute, 28 October 1952, 28th October, 1952 in The Magic Flute

4. Name a geographical location (i.e., town or country) that Eliza Fraser lived in after she survived the wreck of the brig Stirling Reef in 1836.

The 351 ton wooden brig, the Stirling Castle, was wrecked on Swain Reefs off the North Queensland coast (near Rockhampton) in May, 1836. The boatswain and five members of the crew took to the pinnace, while Captain Fraser (who‘d been shipwrecked six years earlier in Torres Strait), his pregnant wife (who left her three children in the care of the local minister to sail with her ‘nervous’ husband), a nephew, mate and seven men occupied the longboat. Mrs Fraser’s baby was born in the boat but died soon after. When they reached the Bunker Group of islands, Fraser and his wife, with four others, sailed south. The rest of the group landed on the mainland near Sandy Cape and decided to walk to Moreton Bay. Three survived and sent a search party to look for Captain Fraser’s group. Meanwhile, purportedly, Fraser and his small party had been captured by aborigines and forced to work as their slaves in appalli ng conditions. Fraser was speared and died of his wounds. Eliza Fraser eventually escaped with the assistance of one of the captors (an escaped convict who had been living with the tribe). However, aborigines report a different circumstance, that is, the Fraser’s were rescued by the indigenous Badtjala people who tried to nurse them back to health, but Captain Fraser became ill and died, Eliza was in good health when British sailors found here six months later! Only eight survived from those who had set out from Sydney for Singapore, three months earlier. The island the Fraser’s eventually reached was Great Sandy Island, known as Fraser Island from 1842. When she arrived in Sydney, Eliza was treated as a celebrity and given money. She married Captain Alexander John Greene of the Mediterranean Packet and returned to England. She migrated with Greene to New Zealand and died in Melbourne in 1858, said to have been killed in a carriage accident.

10 Points – Sydney
5 Points – Fraser Island, England

Not Mentioned - New Zealand, Melbourne.

5. Name a Prime Minister of Australia who served for less than six months (there are five).

10 Points – Sir Earle Christmas Grafton Page, Australian Country Party, 7 April 1939-26 April 1939 (20 days);
Sir Arthur William Fadden, Country Party, 29 August 1941-7 October 1941 (1 month, 9 days); John Christian Watson, Australian Labor Party, 27 April 1904-17 August 1904 (3 months, 21 days)
5 Points – Francis Michael FordeAustralian Labor Party, 6 July 1945-13 July 1945 (8 days)

Not Mentioned - Sir John McEwen, Country Party, 19 December 1967- 10 January 1968 (23 days)

Ozzz2002 40
Cinnam0n
ElfTwinkle
Beaker411
Gatsby722, JaneMarple

Thanks all very much for partaking. I must make special mention of ElfTwinkle who submitted extremely detailed answers (nearly as much as above) and, of course, congratulations to Ozzz - good onya mate!

#247422 - Mon Nov 15 2004 12:41 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
It is so lonely down here in the basement... .

#247423 - Mon Nov 15 2004 03:45 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
ROUND 15

Please give me:

Quote:

1) A singer on the original version of Band Aid ~ Do They Know it's Christmas?
2) One of the main constellations in the Norhtern Hemisphere in Winter time
3) A dairy product
4) A hero or heroine of the legends of the Fenian Cycle (also known as the Ossian/ic Cycle or the Fionn Cycle)
5) One of the FIVE most common tenses of the English language

Good luck, all.

#247424 - Mon Nov 15 2004 06:54 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Hey, you had me for company Gatsby!

#247425 - Mon Nov 15 2004 09:59 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Me and JaneMarple are going to attack the wine cellar now. Excuse us.

#247426 - Mon Nov 15 2004 01:36 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I want to join the party if there's wine going a-begging!!! Besides, while I don't hog the bottom rung, I'm practically NEVER on the top one either, so I'm entitled!

#247427 - Mon Nov 15 2004 11:11 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

Round XVI - The Tuesday Questions

Tuesday November 16th.

This time, something closer to home: Our Solar system...

The questions:

Question I: Name a planet with moons (more than one)...
Question II: Name one of Neptune's moons...
Question III: Name a non-Russian/Soviet spacecraft to go to Mars...
Question IV: Name a person who has walked on the moon...
Question V: Name a comet that has not broken up...

Good luck to all!

Edited by LeoDaVinci (Thu Nov 18 2004 09:28 PM)

#247428 - Mon Nov 15 2004 11:23 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 13 is now closed. Stay tuned for the exciting results.

#247429 - Tue Nov 16 2004 12:55 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 13 Results

There were 10 players this round.

1. A U.S. State Bordering on a Great Lake

10: Michigan
5: Minnesota (2), New York (2), Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (2)
There was one incorrect answer.

Also acceptable would have been Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. For a time in the late 1990's Vermont would also have been an acceptable answer, as a line slipped in 1998's Senate Bill 927 redefined the "Great Lakes" to include Lake Champlain (presumably so grant money used to study the Great Lakes could also be used to study Champlain). The status was later rescinded.

2. A Member of a Married Couple of Nobel Prize Winners

10: Irene Joliot-Curie Alva Myrdal, Gunnar Myrdal, Gerti Cori, Carl Corti, Pierre Curie
5: Marie Curie (2)

The answers given cover all the available answers except Frederic Joliot, who shared the 1935 chemistry prize with his wife for their discovery of artificial radioactivity. Irene Curie's parents were also both Nobel laureates; Pierre and Marie Curie shared the 1903 Physics prize with Henri Becquerel for the discovery of radioactivity. The same research would win Marie a chemistry Nobel in 1911, but Pierre's untimely death in a carriage accident left him ineligible to share in that prize.

Gerti and Carl Corti also collaborated in their research, sharing the 1947 prize in Medicine with Bernardo Houssay for the discovery of how glucose is stored in our bodies. The Myrdals are unique in that they won for almost entirely unrelated work -- Gunnar in Economics for his use of economic analysis to study sociological problems, Alva in peace for her efforts towards disarmament. They had already been married nearly 50 years by the time either of them won a Nobel.

3. A C.S. Lewis work not in the Chronicles of Narnia

10: Mere Christianity, Miracles: A Preliminary Study, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, The Problem of Pain, The Screwtape Letters, The Four Loves
5: Fern Seed and Elephants (2)
There was one incorrect answer

Although Lewis is most famous today for his fantasy works, he also wrote extensively on Christian theology and morals. Most of the submitted answers fall in that category. Of particular note is "The Screwtape Letters", told in the form of a series of letters from a senior demon to his nephew just starting out in the field of temptation.

4. A Nation which joined the U.N. in the last 10 years

10: Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Switzerland
5: Nauru (2), Kiribati(3)
One person skipped this question and there was one incorrect answer

Also acceptible would have been Palau, Tonga, and Serbia/Montenegro (which rejoined the U.N. after being kicked out when Yugoslavia broke up). Most of the nations on the list are newly independent, with Switzerland the notable exception. Switzerland remained neutral when the U.N. was first formed, and Swiss voters rejected a membership referendum in 1986 before passing one in 2002.

5. A Pixar Film
10: A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Red's Dream, Tin Toy
5: Toy Story (2), Toy Story 2 (4)

Two people noticed that I hadn't restricted to feature films, and snuck in with some early Pixar shorts. Feature films not mentioned were "Monster's Inc." and "The Incredibles"

Final Scores
40: Exit10, Julia103, Santana2002
35: Beaker411, Cinnam0n, Engadine
30: ElfTwinkle, justanobody, ozzz2002
10: JaneMarple

Congratulations to Exit10, Julia103, and Santana2002, and thanks everybody for participating!

#247430 - Tue Nov 16 2004 01:14 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Round 14 closed. Results up in a couple of hours. Late entries will be accepted up until 3 hours over this time stamp.

#247431 - Tue Nov 16 2004 07:49 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
beaker411 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Savannah, Georgia
pssst Leo...Tuesday is the 16th, not the 15th.

#247432 - Tue Nov 16 2004 09:42 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Results for Round 14

1. One of the countries to receive a gold, silver or bronze medal in the singles, doubles and mixed of badminton at the Athens Olympics.

10 Points: Denmark, Netherlands
5 Points: Indonesia (2), China (3), Korea (3)

Not mentioned: Thailand

2. A homonym with four or more variables. (eg. To, two, and too is three)

10 Points: sew/so/sol/sow; Do/Doe/Dough/Doh (Homer Simpson's favorite interjection now accepted by the Oxford dictionary); boar/Boer/boor/bore; carat/caret/carrot/karat; U*/ewe/you/yew
5 Points: right/rite/wright/write (2); Cere/Sear/Seer/Sere (2);

The jury is out on the use of 'U'. Help Exit out on this one and see if one of your rivals deserves the points.

Not mentioned: air/are 1/100th of a hectare/e'er contraction of "ever"/ere eventually/err/heir; bel (indian thorn tree)/Bel (Babylonian god)/bell/belle; heigh (an exclamation)/hi/hie (to go quickly)/high;

3.An ingredient of Vegemite.

10 Points: Preservative 220, Vegetable extract
5 Points: Salt (5), brewers yeast/extract (3)

Not mentioned: Malt Extract (From Barley), Natural Colour (150d), Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate.

4. An Australian of the Year between 1960 and 1975.

10 Points: Sir Bernard Heinze, Sir Robert Helpmann, Shane Gould, Dame Joan Sutherland, Cardinal Norman Gilroy, Rt Hon Richard Gardiner Casey, Alexander 'Jock' Sturrock MBE
5 Points: Patrick White (3)

Not mentioned: 1975 Major General Alan Stretton AO CBE
1968 Lionel Rose MBE (b. 1948 )
1967 The Seekers
1966 Sir Jack Brabham OBE (b. 1926 )
1964 Dawn Fraser MBE (b. 1937 )
1963 Sir John Eccles AC (1903 – 1997)
1960 Sir Frank Macfarlane Burnet

5. A breed of pterosaur.

Aarghhh! Well you got me on this one folks. I didn't research enough places and you have come up with a lot more than I did.

10 Points: Rhamphorhynchoidea, Thalassodromeus, Wyomingopteryx*
5 Points: Quetzalcoatlus (3), Eudimorphodon Ranzii (3),

Unfortunately Lower Oxfordian cannot be allowed as it is an area and type of clay where the pterosaurs were found, not the animals themselves.

Others that I expected to be mentioned were Pteranodon and Dsungaripterus. Since then I have found The Pterosaur Species list which has many.

The jury is also out on Wyomingopteryx as it has never been mentioned in scientific literature save for a single painting by Bob Bakker. Should Exit accept this?

Final Scores*

Even if the points do change in those questions above the winner will still be:
justanobody on 45

Also
kevinatilusa cannot be beaten out either on 40.

Now justanobody is somebody. Okay poor pun.

Eight hours for the jury whether it be by PM or posted here. Don't forget - it could be you - or it could be your rival. Stay tuned.

#247433 - Tue Nov 16 2004 05:00 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Ever make a U-Turn? It seems like a word to me - isn't there a U-joint, too? [Just trying to get out of the basement here... ].

#247434 - Tue Nov 16 2004 06:10 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

In support of Gats' heart-rending plea . . . U, as found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary:-

U - letter, plural U's, noun, the 21st letter of the English alphabet
U - UK, plural U's, adjective, noun, used to refer to a film that is considered suitable for children of any age (US - G)
U - college, noun, US written abbreviation for university, i.e., she goes to Kansas U.
U - social behaviour, adjective, UK old-fashioned of behaviour or ways of speaking, acceptable to or expected to be used by people of high social class!

#247435 - Tue Nov 16 2004 08:20 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Aw shucks you guys, you talked me into allowing all of the points. I will edit the final totals when I get home from work this arvo.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002