Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#247436 - Wed Nov 17 2004 12:10 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
justanobody Offline
Participant

Loc: Australia       
Quote:

Now justanobody is somebody. Okay poor pun.

Woohoo

#247437 - Wed Nov 17 2004 01:28 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
ROUND 15 CLOSED

Results later.

#247438 - Wed Nov 17 2004 04:14 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Total scores for Round 14

justanobody 45
kevinatilusa 40
ozzz2002 35
gatsby722 35
beaker411 35
cinnam0n 35
Santana2002 30
Engadine 30
JaneMarple 25
Elftwinkle 25

Thanks to all who played and to those who partook in the judging. I'd give you all an extra point but well, you know the rules.

Cheers

#247439 - Wed Nov 17 2004 10:40 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Newcastle, UK
Round 17 - Wednesday

Quote:

1. One of the ten artists who have been inducted into the new UK Music Hall of Fame.
2. A three-letter word that doesn't contain any vowels.
3. A Roman battle which took place in the 4th Century BC. (There are at least 10 to choose from).
4. A castle situated in Northumberland, England.
5. The title of one of the eight 'Fits' that make up the Lewis Carroll poem "The Hunting of the Snark".

Today's round will close on Friday morning. Good luck!

#247440 - Thu Nov 18 2004 04:16 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
ROUND 15 RESULTS

Apologies for the delay in posting the results ~ three sick kids kept me otherwise occupied.

11 Participants this time, thank you all for playing .

1) A singer on the original version of Band Aid ~ Do They Know it's Christmas?

10 POINTS

Paul Young ~ Boy George ~ Phil Collins ~ Midge Ure ~ Glenn Gregory ~ Simon Crowe ~ Kool & The Gang (Robert 'Kool' Bell)

5 POINTS

Bono (3)

Not allowed

Dionne Warwick - while I can find Dionne Warwick as a solo performer for the Live Aid concert and a performer on the USA for Africa album, I cannot find them as a performer on the original Band Aid album. I am open for correction on this.

Adjusted

Edit: Feeling a little mean about this one, I decided to allow Kool & The Gang - Robert "Kool" Bell did perform on the original Band Aid album, I do not know if the whole group performed with him, but I guess they probably did. Ten points more to Cinnam0n.

2) One of the main constellations in the Norhtern Hemisphere in Winter time

10 POINTS

Horologium ~ Columba ~ Pisces ~ Perseus

5 POINTS

Canis Major (3) ~ Orion (2) ~ Lynx (2)

3) A dairy product

10 POINTS

Buttermilk ~ Milk ~ Sour Cream ~ Powdered Milk ~ Ice Cream

5 POINTS

Cheese (2) ~ Butter (2) ~ Yoghurt (2)

4) A hero or heroine of the legends of the Fenian Cycle (also known as the Ossian/ic Cycle or the Fionn Cycle)

10 POINTS

Oisin ~ Conan Maol ~ Cormac McArt

5 POINTS

Fionn McCumhaill (3) ~ Diarmait (2) ~ Cailte Mc Ronan (3)

5) One of the FIVE most common tenses of the English language

10 Points

Past Perfect (I had gone) ~ Present Simple (I go)

5 POINTS

Future simple (I will go) (2) ~ Present Continuous (I am going) (2) ~ Present Perfect (I have gone) (2)

Disallowed

Past (2) ~ Present (1)

I disallowed these two answers as there are multiple tenses in both the Past and the Present, and a specific one wasn't mentioned in either case. However if you believe I am being too harsh I will reconsider

RESULTS

Quote:

50 pts: Exit10
40 Pts: ozzz2002 ~ Cinnam0n
35 Pts: Justanobody ~ Kuu
30 Pts: BbSean ~ ElfTwinkle ~ Gatsby
25 Pts: JaneMarple ~ beaker411
20 Pts: Engadine

Edited by Santana2002 (Thu Nov 18 2004 09:39 AM)

#247441 - Thu Nov 18 2004 05:29 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore
Maryland USA
Round 18

1. A figure skating move (i.e. jump, spin, footwork step) named for a person.

2. A novel by Alexandre Dumas that has been made into a movie.

3. A major Greek goddess who lived on Mount Olympus.

4. A previously existing board game that is now being sold with a Lord of the Rings version.

5. Ladyslipper Music is a company dedicated to publicizing and distributing women’s music. Name an artist on one of the top 10 best-selling recordings in the Ladyslipper catalog last year (2003).

#247442 - Thu Nov 18 2004 09:49 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 19 List (Where did November go?)

1. Name an inductee into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame (Class of 2004).

2. When using American Sign Language name a letter of the alphabet that uses one or two extended fingers (thumbs are excluded - unless you are hitchhiking, of course).

3. Tom Hanks played/voiced 6 characters in the holiday film "The Polar Express". Name one of them.

4. Give me a state west (or on) of The Rocky Mountains won by the John Kerry/John Edwards ticket in the recent U.S. election.

5. Name a painting by Edward Hopper.

Have fun, everyone!

#247443 - Thu Nov 18 2004 11:07 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Round 16 or 15 or whatever it is (my round) is closed... I'll get the results up as soon as I don't have to be in the library to access the internet.

#247444 - Fri Nov 19 2004 09:38 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
helen295 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Newcastle, UK
Round 17 is now closed.

#247445 - Sat Nov 20 2004 12:47 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Round 18 is now closed. (I kept it open a few extra hours because I couldn't get into FT Thursday evening and didn't know whether the site was down for a while.)

#247446 - Sat Nov 20 2004 06:43 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Here are Sunday's questions.

Quote:

ROUND 21

1 Name a defunct NBA (National Basketball Association) team

2 A novel by Robert B. Parker featuring Spenser (with an 's', no known first name )

3 A poem by Wilfred Owen

4 A Gurkha recipient of the Victoria Cross (not a European officer serving in a Gurkha regiment)

5 A character (or the actor who played him) in the movie 'The Great Escape' who escaped through the tunnel and was not returned to the camp at the end of the film

(It is possible to find the answer to the last one online, so it's not necessary to have seen the movie. If you're stuck, pm me for a clue.) I'll close this on Tuesday afternoon.

#247447 - Sat Nov 20 2004 08:37 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Quote:

It is possible to find the answer to the last one online, so it's not necessary to have seen the movie

Took me a bit to find the right words to google, but once I figured that out it was easy to get the answer.

#247448 - Sun Nov 21 2004 05:42 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 is closed. Results shortly but not too quickly .

And I'm having quite the struggle with your Qu. 5, spanishliz! I can find every other detail about "The Great Escape" but that particular one. I think I'm Google-impaired this morning or something!

#247449 - Sun Nov 21 2004 09:07 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Round 18 results

1. A figure skating move (i.e. jump, spin, footwork step) named for a person.
10 points:
Axel jump (named for Axel Paulsen), Hamill Camel (named for Dorothy Hamill), Ina Bauer (named for Ina Bauer ), Biellmann spin (named for Denise Beillmann)
5 points: Lutz jump (named for Alois Lutz)(2), Salchow jump (named for Ulrich Salchow)(4)
Not mentioned: Rittberger jump (alternate name for a loop jump, named for Werner Rittberger), Grafstrom spin (named for Gillis Grafstrom), Harding spin (named for Tonya Harding), Besti squat (variation of the spread eagle, named for ice dancer Natalia Bestemianova)

Descriptions of these moves can be found at Competitive Figure Skating FAQ Technical Elements

2. A novel by Alexandre Dumas that has been made into a movie
10 points:

The Man in the Iron Mask, The Corsican Brothers, The Three Musketeers, The Black Tulip
5 points:
Count of Monte Cristo (3), Camille (2)
Not allowed: Ivanhoe (It was written by Sir Walter Scott)
Not mentioned: Queen Margot, Twenty Years After – made into Return of the Musketeers (1989), The Vicomte of Bragelonne (this is a very long work usually divided into three separate novels: Man in the Iron Mask is Part 3, so I would have accepted this as well),
Camille was written by Alexandre Dumas fils. All the others mentioned were written by Alexandre Dumas pere. (The question didn’t specify which Dumas.)

3. A major Greek goddess who lived on Mount Olympus.
10 points:
Athena (goddess of wisdom), Aphrodite (goddess of love and beauty), Demeter (goddess of the harvest), Hera (goddess of marriage)
5 points: Hestia (goddess of the hearth)(2), Artemis (goddess of the moon)(3)
Not allowed: Ares (god of war) was a god. The question specified godess.

4. A previously existing board game that is now being sold with a Lord of the Rings version.
10 points:
Monopoly,Checkers,Chess
5 points: Trivial Pursuit (2), Risk (5)
Not mentioned: backgammon, Stratego

This question occurred to me after passing a display in Barnes & Noble (a megabookstore) with many of these games.
Lord of the Rings backgammon has a map of Middle Earth on the blank part of the board, but otherwise is no different from the regular version.
Lord of the Rings Monopoly replaces the standard player tokens (thimble, shoe, etc.) with characters from the Lord of the Rings, replaces the Chance and Community Chest cards with People and Events cards, and uses power levels instead of money as well as changing the property names to areas of Middle Earth.
The Lord of the Rings Chess Set includes 8 Hobbit Pawns, 2 Boromir Rooks, 2 Aragorn Knights, 2 Frodo Bishops, 1 Gandalf King, 1 Galadriel Queen, 8 Goblin Pawns, 2 Orc Rooks, 2 Uruk-hal Knights, 2 Cave Troll Bishops, 1 Saruman King, and 1 Ringwraith Queen
(Thanks you ElfTwinkle for the information on the Chess Set.)

5. Ladyslipper Music is a company dedicated to publicizing and distributing women’s music. Name an artist on one of the top 10 best-selling recordings in the Ladyslipper catalog last year (2003).
10 points:
Ferron, Lisa Thiel
5 points: Shawna Carol (2), Libana (2), Ubaka Hill (2), Kay Gardner (2)
Not mentioned: Holly Near, Cris Williamson

ElfTwinkle 45
Beaker411 40
Santana2002 40
Ozzz2002 35
JaneMarple 30
BbSean 30
Spanishliz 30
Cinnam0n 25
Justanobody 25
Helen295 25

#247450 - Mon Nov 22 2004 02:11 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 22: Mon. Nov. 22nd

Quote:

Name:

1) An animal whose name begins with a letter E thru L that Snoopy has, "appeared as, imagined himself to be, or played the role of" in the comic strip Peanuts:

2) The 2004 CFL (Canadian Football League) season ended last night (Sunday Nov. 21st) with the Toronto Argonauts and British Columbia Lions playing in the the 92nd Grey Cup game (Toronto won 27-19) --- name a player who has won the Most Valuable Canadian award in a Grey Cup game played from 1995 thru 2004:

3) A novel by Danielle Steel which has a title that begins with the letter K or L:

4) The full name (ie include the team's nickname) of a NBA team, which plays in either the Southeast or Southwest division (example: Toronto Raptors -which is an NBA team that does not play in either of the divisions asked for in this round):

5) Any track on the Love Is The Only Soldier album/CD by Jann Arden:

#247451 - Mon Nov 22 2004 03:52 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 19 Results!

Sorry I'm late. Computer problems...

1. An Inductee Into The Pro Football HOF (Class Of 2004)

For 10 points:
Carl Eller (born in 1942 - defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings & Seattle Seahawks)

For 5 points:
Bob ("Boomer") Brown
(born in 1941 - notably a tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles) [2]; Barry Sanders (born in 1968 - running back for the Detroit Lions) [3] ; John Elway (born in 1960 - quarterback for the Denver Broncos) [4].

2. In American Sign Language A letter Of The Alphabet Where One Or Two Fingers Are Fully Extended

For 10 points:
L, N, V, Y

For 5 points:
H, K, U (all 2)

There are 15 that would be right.

3. A Character Played/Voiced By Tom Hanks In "The Polar Express"

For 10 points:
The boy, The Father, Scrooge, Santa Claus

For 5 points:
The hobo (popular one )

No one picked the obvious one: The conductor.

Robert Zemeckis, the director for the film, is really a bit of a master of wizardry. He did the "Back To The Future" films (with flying cars and such) then "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" (blending humans with cartoon figures) then "Forrest Gump" (mixing up historical footage with present day actors). "The Polar Express" is a little different as well. It's not really animated and it's not really live action. It's both at once!

4. A State West (Or On) The Rocky Mountains Won By The Kerry/Edwards Ticket In The Recent Election

Only 4 of them (even though Kerry won 20 states total).

For 10 points:
Hawaii (A rather cool choice!)

For 5 points:
California (2), Oregon (3), Washington State (3)

One player chose not to answer.

5. A Painting By Edward Hopper

Argh, now I have to type because you all picked different ones and all were correct. 10 big points to all!

For 10 points:
'Light At Two Lights' (1927 - AND the only watercolor selected; all the rest are oils on canvas), 'Office At Night' (1940), 'Nighthawks' (1942), 'Gas' (1940), 'Drug Store' (1927), 'Chop Suey' (1929), 'Cape Cod Afternoon' (1936), 'Chair Car' (1965), 'Corn Hill' (1930) & 'House By The Railroad' (1925)

As I sit here and revel in Hopper's work (I really like him!), let's do the results/scores...

10 players this time!

cinnamOn - 45 points

Julia103 - 40 points
ozzz2002 - 40

ElfTwinkle - 35 points
justanobody - 35
Santana2002 - 35

BbSean - 30 points
beaker411 - 30
spanishliz - 30

JaneMarple - 25 points

Great job, all! Good answers! And a special congrats to cinnamOn!

Edited For Spelling

Edited by gatsby722 (Mon Nov 22 2004 07:04 AM)

#247452 - Mon Nov 22 2004 08:11 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
beaker411 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Savannah, Georgia
Am I blind, or did we lose round 20? Maybe it just fell off my screen.

#247453 - Mon Nov 22 2004 08:33 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I'm still looking for it, too, plus correct answers for Rounds 16 and 17.
Must have been a hard weekend!

#247454 - Mon Nov 22 2004 09:34 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

I was also wondering what happened to Round 20, especially early Sunday morning when I was waiting for it to go up before I posted Round 21.

#247455 - Mon Nov 22 2004 02:13 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
We lost Round 20. My fault. To be honest, I completely forgot about it. I had an early Thanksgiving party that ran all day on Saturday, and completely spaced it off. I'd just as soon skip it at this point, but if anyone really wants the round, I'm sure I can come up with something. I'm going to have to drop out from here on out, at least until after the holidays. Between now and the first of January, I've got three holidays and four birthdays, including my own. Just way too much going on. I'm SSSOO sorry. (Oh, and to further illustrate how difficult this month has already been for me, I am aware I still haven't posted correct answers to my LAST round. I will try very hard to get that done today.)

#247456 - Mon Nov 22 2004 03:22 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That is fine Lothruin. In fact will all Quizmasters PM me with their opinion whether to drop the Questions until January after this month?
Questions from me will be up tomorrow!

#247457 - Tue Nov 23 2004 06:22 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 23 (I think!)

Firstly, I am sorry for any people who are not fans of Agatha Christie. My quiz today is on Agatha Christie books and films!

Q1. Name a actor who has played Hercule Poirot either on television, in film or on the radio. It would be helpful if you said which film he starred in!

Q2. Name an actress who has played Miss Jane Marple either on television, in film or on the radio. Again, it would be helpful if you said which film she starred in!

Q3. “The Labours of Hercules” is a collection of short stories, featuring Hercule Poirot. Name one of the labours.

Q4. “The Thirteen Problems” also known as “The Tuesday Night Club” is a collection of short stories featuring Miss Marple. Name one of the members of “The Tuesday Night Club” (Miss Marple is not accepted!)

Q5. Finally, “Partners in Crime” is a short story collection featuring the amateur detectives, Tommy and Tuppence Beresford. Name of one the stories in “Partners In Crime”

Secondly, I think that the agreement is keep the December rounds running but maybe only questions on alternate days
I'll let everybody know by the weekend for definate

#247458 - Tue Nov 23 2004 01:39 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Round 21 is now closed. Answers and results quite soon. Promise!

#247459 - Tue Nov 23 2004 06:40 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

ROUND 21 RESULTS

Eight people participated.

1. Name a defunct NBA team

I failed to specify whether I wanted franchises that had folded completely, or simply moved to new cities, so accepted either.

Worth 10 points:
Charlotte Hornets (1988-2002, when they moved to New Orleans), Pittsburgh Ironmen (1946-47), Providence Steamrollers (1946-49), St Louis Hawks (1955-68, known as the Tri-Cities Blackhawks 1946-51, Milwaukee Hawks 1951-55, and now the Atlanta Hawks), Toronto Huskies (1946-47), Waterloo Hawks (1949-50) (based in Waterloo, Iowa)

Worth 5 points:
Syracuse Nationals (2) (1946-63, when they became the Philadelphia 76ers)

There were quite a few to choose from, notably the Baltimore Bullets, listed as the last NBA franchise to fold, in 1955!

2. A novel by Robert B. Parker featuring Spenser

Worth 10 points:
‘Ceremony’, ‘Early Autumn’, ‘The Godwulf Manuscript’, ‘Hugger Mugger’

Worth 5 points:
‘Stardust’ (2), ‘Sudden Mischief’ (2)

Spenser is a private eye working in Boston, who butts heads with the police occasionally, but is usually involved in trying to help some person, often young, who deserves his help. I’m partial to his buddy, Hawk, myself.

3. A poem by Wilfred Owen

Worth 10 points:
‘Le Christianisme’, ‘Dulce et Decorum Est’, ‘Futility’, ‘Insensibility’, ‘Smile, Smile, Smile’, ‘Strange Meeting’

Worth 5 points:
‘Greater Love’ (2)

Notably absent, amongst others, was ‘Anthem for Doomed Youth’.

Wilfred Owen was killed in action just one week before the Armistice that ended the Great War.

4. A Gurkha recipient of the Victoria Cross

Some of the spellings I received differ from those I’m familiar with, but the people were recognisable.

Worth 10 points:
Gaje Ghale (Havildar (Sgt), 2nd/5th Royal Gurkha Rifles, Chin Hills, Burma 1943. I have a letter from a gentleman who knew him, in which I am informed that the correct pronunciation of this man’s name is ‘Gudgy Gully’.), Kulbir Thapa (Rifleman, 2nd/3rd Gurkha Rifles, France 1915)

Worth 5 points:
Agansing Rai (2) (Naik (Cpl), 2nd/5th Royal Gurkha Rifles, Burma, 1944. He passed away in Katmandu, Nepal, aged about 80 in May 2000.), Bhanbhagta Gurung (2)(Rifleman, 3rd/2nd Gurkha Rifles, Burma 1945), Tulbahdur Pun (2)(Rifleman, 3rd/6th Gurkha Rifles, Burma 1944)

Gurkhas, like other non-European members of the Indian Army, were not eligible for the Victoria Cross until 1911. The first of 26 awards to Gurkha soldiers were made during WWI, and the most recent was to Lance-Corporal Rambahadur Limbu, for action in Sarawak in 1965.

5. A character (or the actor who played him) in the movie ‘The Great Escape’ who escaped through the tunnel and was not returned to the camp at the end of the film

The characters in the movie were usually a composite of several real Great Escapers. I’ll list them thus: Movie Character/Actor/Real Person/People (if possible)

Worth 10 points:
F/Lt Colin ‘The Forger’ Blythe/Donald Pleasence/Tim Walenn (forger, one of the Fifty), F/Lt Danny ‘Tunnel King’ Velinsky/Charles Bronson/Wally Floody (tunnels), Per Bergsland or Jens Muller (escaped to Sweden); S/Ldr Roger ‘Big X’ Bartlett/Richard Attenborough/Roger Bushell (Big X, one of the Fifty)

Worth 5 points:
F/Lt Louis ‘The Manufacturer’ Sedgwick/James Coburn/Johnny Travis (manufacturer), Bram van der Stok (escaped to Spain)(4) (Don’t know why he was so popular!)

Not accepted: Captain Virgil ‘the Cooler King’ Hilts/Steve McQueen, who was back in the camp’s cooler, tossing his baseball against the wall, at the end of the movie.

Others you could have chosen were (I’ll just stick to the movie now) David McCallum as Ashley-Pitt (shot in the railway station), Gordon Jackson as ‘Mac’ MacDonald, Nigel Stock as Cavendish (both executed) or John Leyton as Willie, the other main tunneller, who escaped with Danny. (They are just seen rowing to a ship, but represent the two who made it to Sweden.)

We have joint winners, both on 45 points:

BbSean 45
gatsby 722 45

cinnam0n 40
beaker411 35
Julia10. 35
Justanobody 35
Ozzz2002 35
ElfTwinkle 30

Congratulations BbSean and gatsby! Thanks all for playing.

#247460 - Wed Nov 24 2004 01:32 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
If anyone is intersted - I have finished painting the house!!! So I might have some time to get back to Funtrivia more

Quote:

Round 24

1) Name one of the animals mentioned in the poem 'Who Killed Cock Robin' (besides Cock Robin).

2) A country that has a land border with Kenya

3) A novel by H.G. Wells that was first published before 1900

4) A species of bat that is found in Tasmania

5) Any US President who was born in Ohio

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002