Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#253004 - Tue Jan 11 2005 07:21 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Whew! Redemption!

#253005 - Wed Jan 12 2005 01:01 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

Loc: Ontario Canada
Good going gats! I was looking good 'till I choked on Q5! Good stuff!

#253006 - Wed Jan 12 2005 01:24 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graham, Texas, USA
ROUND 12

All of the questions for this round are about country music. (Please don't hate me because I like it! )

1. In 2003, CMT announced the forty greatest men in country music. Name someone in the top ten.

2. In the same year, they also announced the forty greatest women in country music. Again, name someone in the top ten.

3. Name one of Garth Brooks' albums.

4. Name someone who won a CMA award in 2004.

5. Name one of the songs nominated for the 2004 CMA Song of the Year.

Round closes in about 48 hours. Good luck!!!

#253007 - Wed Jan 12 2005 05:16 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 10 is now closed --- results will be up soon.

#253008 - Wed Jan 12 2005 10:16 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

What is country music? Which country?

#253009 - Wed Jan 12 2005 10:58 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Don't get fussy , Leo. We all know what country music is.

#253010 - Thu Jan 13 2005 12:55 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Trivia Rounds - January: Round 10 (Jan. 10th): 8 players participated

Name:

QUESTION 1: Any character whose name is World Famous whatever, and whatever begins with a letter M thru Z that Snoopy has, "appeared as, imagined himself to be, or played the role of" in the comic strip Peanuts (example: World Famous Acrobat) :

10 points: Riverboat Gambler

5 points: Wrist Wrestler (2), Orthopedic Surgeon (4)

Not mentioned: swimmer, roller derby star, skier, pirate, skating pro, tennis star

Note: Writer was rejected ---> That would fall under World Famous Literary Ace, which doesn't start with the letters M thru Z (Writer does fall under the letters M thru Z, but I don't find it with World Famous before it --- I can find only the term literary ace with the required words World Famous in front of it ---> I did accept author in Round 3, as although I don't find it with the words World Famous in front of it, it also fell under World Famous Literary Ace.)

QUESTION 2: Any song from the musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:

10 points: You Two, Posh!

5 points: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (2), Hushabye Mountain (2), Toot Sweets (2)

Not mentioned: Lovely, Lonely Man; The Roses Of Success; Truly Scrumptious; Chu-Chi Face; Doll On A Music Box; Me Ol' Bam-Boo

QUESTION 3: Any colour on the flag of Belize::

10 points: Black, Red

5 points: Blue (2), Green (2), White (2)

Not mentioned: As far as I can tell there are a couple of other minor colours (yellow/gold for one)

QUESTION 4: A player on the Canadian team which won the gold medal at the just finished 2005 IIHF World Junior (under-20) Hockey Championship tournament played Dec. 25th to Jan. 4th (If you need help finding the Canadian roster please PM me):

10 points: Dion Phaneuf, Danny Syvret, Rejean Beauchemin, Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Andrew Ladd, Anthony Stewart

5 points:

Not Mentioned: Jeff Glass, Cam Barker, Shawn Belle, Braydon Coburn, Shea Weber, Patrice Bergeron, Jeremy Colliton, Sidney Crosby, Nigel Dawes, Stephen Dixon, Colin Fraser, Ryan Getzlaff, Clarke MacArthur, Corey Perry, Michael Richards

Rejected: Stefan Meyer ---> he was not a member of the team --- he was at the August Development Camp, but did not make the roster when the team had their Selection Camp in December just prior to the start of the tournament

QUESTION 5: A novel by Danielle Steel which has a title that begins with the letter S:

10 points: Second Chance, Silent Honor, Special Delivery, Sunset In St. Tropez

5 points: Season Of Passion (2), Summer's End (2)

Not Mentioned: Safe Harbour, Secrets, Star

Results

onlytrivial: 40 points
Ozzz2002: 40 points

cinnam0n: 35 points
Leo DaVinci: 35 points

beaker411: 30 points
gatsby722: 30 points
Julia103: 30 points
mjohn620: 30 points

Congratulations to onlytrivial and Ozzz2002 who each collect a point for this round.

Thanks for playing everyone!

Edited by ElfTwinkle (Thu Jan 13 2005 12:57 AM)

#253011 - Thu Jan 13 2005 04:55 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 11 closed...answers soon!

#253012 - Thu Jan 13 2005 05:17 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
And here comes the answers....I shall have to be careful thinking up the questions next time!
Q1 – A traditional pantomime you may see at this time of the year
For Ten points:
Jack and the Beanstalk,
For Five Points:
Puss in boots (3), Dick Whittington (2) Cinderella (4), Peter Pan (2) ,
Not mentioned:
This confused a lot of people – I imagined that pantomimes were known all over the world, but I was obviously wrong! Usually performed at theatres at Christmas time usually with “famous” soap opera stars taking the leads. Usually the pantomime is based on classic fairy stories. For instance, Snow White and the seven dwarfs and Aladdin were not mentioned

Q2 – Only Fools and Horses is a British comedy programme. Name a title of one of the episodes in Series One. More information will be found at
http://www.ofah.net/immediacy-1
For Ten points:
Go West young man, Second time around, Big Brother, Christmas Crackers,
For Five Points:
Slow Bus to Chingford (2), Cash & Curry (3), The Russians are coming (3),
Not mentioned:
Everybody mentioned one of the episodes! This to me is the best British comedy around!

Q3 – A type of jewellery
For Ten points:
Wedding band, Tongue Stud, pendant, Amulet, Bangle, Charm bracelet, black type jewellery,
For Five Points:
Anklet (2), Toe ring (3),
Not mentioned:
Necklace, bracelet etc

Q4 – A type of footwear
For Ten points:
Slipper, Moses Sandals, Snow shoes, Toe Ring, Ugg boots, Thongs, Backless sneakers, Shoes
For Five Points:
Clogs (2), Sandals (2),
Not mentioned:
Boots, Wellingtons, and I’m sure there are more

Q5 – A type of clothing
For Ten points:
T-Shirt, Leather jacket, Poncho, uniform, Shawl, anorak, cargo pants, tank top, socks, business suit,
For Five Points:
Garter belt (2),
Not mentioned:
Pyjamas, waistcoat etc

SCORES - a grand total of TWELVE players took part!
Ozzz2002 – 45
ElfTwinkle - 45

LeoDaVinci - 40
Beaker – 40
BbSean – 40
Exit - 40
Justanobody – 40

Onlytrivia – 35
Mjohn - 35
CinnamOm – 35
Julia103 - 35

Gatsby – 25

Very well done all!

#253013 - Thu Jan 13 2005 06:18 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore
Maryland USA
This round will close on Saturday January 15th, which is the birthday of the civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

Please name:
1. A state mentioned by Martin Luther King Jr in his famous “I Have a Dream” Speech

2. A parent, sibling, or child of Martin Luther King Jr

3. An award won by Martin Luther King Jr

4. A right included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (adopted by the United Nations in 1948)

5. Either a) an African-American who refused to leave the lunch counter at Woolworths in Greensboro NC until he was served or b) an African-American who refused to move to the back of a bus when asked to do so by the bus driver

#253014 - Thu Jan 13 2005 10:24 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I'm early (as opposed to late) again. But here is Round 14. Enjoy!

1. Name an "Indian Mound" in Ohio that is federally and state protected.
2. Name an album by Maria Muldaur.
3. Tell me a living celebrated person with Multiple Sclerosis whose last name begins with 'G'.
4. SCUBA is actually a word made up of the first letter of five other ones. Pick one of those words.
5. Now the goofy question: I don't get it AT ALL (wouldn't want anybody coming into my house and fixing it!) but it is an interesting show to say the least, and funny. Name one of those fellows who comes in and makes a person over in "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy".

Results on Sunday!

Edited to clarify

Edited by gatsby722 (Thu Jan 13 2005 10:46 AM)

#253015 - Fri Jan 14 2005 03:18 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Round 12 is now closed.

#253016 - Fri Jan 14 2005 04:01 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

ROUND 12 RESULTS

Nine players participated this round.

Question 1:
Quote:

In 2003, CMT announced the forty greatest men in country music. Name someone in the top ten.

For 10 points:
Alan Jackson(#10), Conway Twitty(#8), Garth Brooks(#7), Merle Haggard(#6), Johnny Cash(#1)

For 5 points:
George Strait(#9) (2 people), Hank Williams, Sr.(#2) (2 people)

Not Mentioned:
Waylon Jennings(#5), Willie Nelson(#4), George Jones(#3)

Question 2:
Quote:

In the same year, they also announced the forty greatest women in country music. Again, name someone in the top ten.

For 10 points:
Shania Twain(#7), Reba McEntire(#6), Emmylou Harris(#5), Tammy Wynette(#2), Patsy Cline(#1)

For 5 points:
Loretta Lynn(#3) (3 people)

Not accepted:
Kitty Wells (she ranked #15, sorry)

Not mentioned:
Trisha Yearwood(#10), Connie Smith(#9), Mother Maybelle Carter(#8), Dolly Parton(#4)

Question 3:
Quote:

3. Name one of Garth Brooks' albums.

For 10 points:
"Scarecrow", "No Fences", "Fresh Horses", "Garth Brooks", "Ropin' the Wind", "Sevens", "Call Me Claus"

For 5 points:
"Double Live" (2 people)

Not Mentioned:
"In Pieces", "The Chase", "The Life of Chris Gaines", "The Magic of Christmas", "Beyond the Season", "No Fences"

Question 4:
Quote:

Name someone who won a CMA award in 2004.

For 10 points:
Tim McGraw, Alison Krauss, Brooks & Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, Tim Nichols, Craig Wiseman (the last two were songwriters who won Song of the Year)

For 5 points:
Gretchen Wilson (2 people)

Not Mentioned:
Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Keith Urban

Question 5:
Quote:

Name one of the songs nominated for the 2004 CMA Song of the Year.

For 10 points:
"Redneck Woman", "Whiskey Lullaby"

For 5 points:
"Live Like You Were Dying" (3 people), "Long Black Train" (2 people), Remember When (2 people)

Scores:
45: ozzz2002
45: onlytrivial

40: mjohn620
40: beaker411
40: BbSean
40: justanobody
35: cinnam0n
35: ElfTwinkle
30: gatsby722

Congratulations to everybody!

(Edit: Earlier I forgot to mention how many people gave a certain answer. It is now fixed.)

Edited by ChrisSchu (Sat Jan 15 2005 02:54 PM)

#253017 - Sat Jan 15 2005 02:26 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Round 13 is now closed. Results in a few hours.

#253018 - Sat Jan 15 2005 07:18 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Round 13 results

Q1. A state mentioned by Martin Luther King Jr in his famous “I Have a Dream” Speech
10 points:
Georgia, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, South Caroline
5 points:
Alabama (2), New York (2)
Not mentioned: Mississippi, Louisiana, Colorado, California

Q2. A parent, sibling, or child of Martin Luther King Jr
10 points:
Dexter Scott King (son), Martin Luther King, Sr. (father), Bernice Albertine King (daughter)
5 points:
Christine King Farris (sister) (2)
Alberta Williams King (mother) (2)
Not allowed: Coretta Scott King (wife). The question did not include spouse. Sorry!
Not mentioned: Alfred Daniel Williams King (brother), Yolanda Denise King (daughter), Martin Luther King III (son)

Q3. An award won by Martin Luther King Jr
10 points:
American of the Decade (from Laundry, Dry Cleaning, and Die Workers International Union, 1963),
Pearl Plafker Award (from Crozier Theological Seminary, awarded to the outstanding student in the graduating class, 1948),
Marcus Garvey prize for Human Rights (posthumously from Jamaican govenment, 1968)
5 points:
John Dewey Award (from United Federation of Teachers, 1964) (2)
Nobel Peace Prize (1964) (3)
Dr. King received hundreds of awards. Among those not mentioned are the Springarn Medal (from the NAACP, 1957), the Russwurm Award (from National Newspaper Publishers, 1957) and The John F. Kennedy Award (from the Catholic Interracial Council of Chicago, 1964).

Q4. A right included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (adopted by the United Nations in 1948)
10 points:
The right to leave any country, including his own (article 13)
The right to a nationality (article 15),
The right to freely participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits (article 27),
The right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty (article 11),
The right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution (article 14),
The right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay (Article 24)
5 points:
The right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law (article 6) (2)
The Declaration has 30 articles (too many to list here). Among those not mentioned are the right to marry and to found a family (article 16), the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion (article 18) and the right to freedom of opinion and expression (article 19).

Q5. Either a) an African-American who refused to leave the lunch counter at Woolworths in Greensboro NC until he was served or b) an African-American who refused to move to the back of a bus when asked to do so by the bus driver
10 points:
Lt. Jackie Robinson (refused to move to back of bus, July 6, 1944)
5 points:
David Richmond (Greensboro) (2)
Rosa Parks (refused to move to back of bus, Montgomery Alabama, December 1, 1955) (2)
Joseph McNeil (Greensboro) (3)
Not mentioned: a) Ezell Blair Jr. (later known as Jibreel Khazan), Franklin Eugene McCain
b) Irene Morgan (Virginia, July 1944), Lottie Taylor (Virginia, September 12, 1946), Wilhelmina Jakes and Carrie Patterson (Tallahassee Florida, May 25, 1956)
Irene Morgan and Lottie Taylor were both on buses traveling through more than one state. When they boarded the buses in Washington DC they were not required to sit in back because Washington did not have laws segregating buses. However, when the bus crossed into Virginia the women were asked to move back. Many other people were arrested for violating the Jim Crow bus laws in the "Journey of Reconciliation" in 1947 and the "Freedom Rides" in 1963-64, but I don't know whether the bus drivers asked the riders to comply with the laws or if enforcement was only done by the local police.

Cinnam0n 45
Onlytrivial 45

BbSean 35
ElfTwinkle 35
Gatsby722 35
Justanobody 35

Mjohn620 30
Ozzz2002 20

Congratulations to cinnam0n and onlytrivial!

#253019 - Sun Jan 16 2005 05:23 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California USA       
Round 15 questions:

Please give...

1. An album, live or studio, released by Loreena McKennit

2. A species of salmon (either colloquial or scientific name is fine)

3. A former Soviet Republic whose name does NOT end in -stan.

4. A novel in John Updike's "Rabbit" series.

5. A piece from either of Grieg's "Peer Gynt" suites.

This round will close in about 48 hours or so. Good luck and good fun to all!

#253020 - Sun Jan 16 2005 07:59 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 14 will be closing up soon. I made an 'oops' and have to wait for one player's answer, since I deleted it before I wrote one response down.

#253021 - Sun Jan 16 2005 02:13 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 14

8 players this time.

1. A Federally Or State Protected Indian Mound In Ohio

For 10 points: Elk Lick Mound (Bantam in Clermont County), Edith Ross Mound (Laurelville in Hocking County), Karshner Mound (Laurelville in Hocking County), Old Maids Orchard Mound (Lithopolis in Fairfield County)

For 5 points: Miamisburg Mound (Miamisburg in Montgomery County)(2), Enon Mound (Enon in Clark County)(2)

There a LOTS of these. For anyone unfamiliar with what they are they are sacred burial grounds of different American Indian tribes. They are v-e-r-y large formations of earth.

2. An Album By Maria Muldaur

For 10 points: Southland Of The Heart (1996), Meet Me Where They Play The Blues (1999), Live In London (1985), A Woman Alone With The Blues (2003)

For 5 points: Fanning The Flames (1996)(2), Maria Muldaur (1974)(2)

3. A Celebrated Person With Multiple Sclerosis Whose Last Name Begins With G

For 10 points: Marianne Gingrich (ex-wife of former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich), Sarah Gibbs (Biologist)

For 5 points: Teri Garr (actress)(4), Brenda Gildehous (BMX bike riding champ)(2)

For whole list and other info see www.mult-sclerosis.org

4. What SCUBA Stands For

Got them all but one. It is Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, of course.

For 10 points: Apparatus

For 5 points: Self (3), Contained(2), Breathing(2)

5. One Of Those "Queer Guys For The Straight Guy" on TV

For 10 points: Julian Bennett (fashion expert in UK version; I didn't speciify the UK or US show), Jai Rodriguez (culture)

For 5 points: Thom Felicia (interior design)(2), Kyan Douglas (grooming)(2), Ted Allen(2)

Can't say as I understand the popularity of this show but lots of people seem to get a kick out of it.

SCORES:
Julia103 - 45

spanishliz - 40 points
cinnamon - 35
justanobody, ElfTwinkle, ozzz2002, onlytrivial - all 30
mjohn620 - 25

Well done everyone and thanks for playing.

Congrats Julia103! You get a point for the monthly board.

#253022 - Mon Jan 17 2005 08:46 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Round 16 (sorry it's a bit late)

Name:
1. A popular web browser (doesn't matter which version - it won't affect your score)
2. Any vegetable from the root and tuber family
3. Any nominee from the Golden Globes in either the Best Female or Best Male categories
4. A popular anti-depressant
5. An Irish Antarctic explorer

Edited to advise: The 2005 Golden Globes.

Edited by Exit10 (Tue Jan 18 2005 08:54 AM)

#253023 - Mon Jan 17 2005 09:59 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Round 17: Mon. Jan. 17th

Quote:

Name:

Question 1) A character in the comic strip For Better Or Worse that is a member of the Patterson Family:

Question 2) A song from ACT I of the musical You're A Good Man Charlie Brown:

Question 3) A song on Anne Murray's Greatest Hits album that was released in 1980:

Question 4) Superbowl XXXIX will be played on Feb. 6th --- name a city that has hosted the Superbowl more than once:

Question 5) A novel by Danielle Steel which has a title that begins with a letter from T thru Z:

Have fun!

This Round will close in about 48 hours/Wednesday morning/afternoon.

#253024 - Tue Jan 18 2005 08:10 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

The moment I've been waiting for...
Its Tuesday, and you know what that means? The Tuesday questions!

So without further ado, I give you:
Round XVIII - Tuesday January 18th, 2005.
Quote:

The Questions:

1. Name a species of dolphin... (must be a dolphin and not a close relative)
2. Name a one of the lost tribes of Israel... (hint: not Benjamin or Judah)
3. Name a North American beer, whose distribution is (at least) national...
4. Name a dwarf from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves...
5. Name a medical (MD) specialty that ends in '-ologist'...

For a bonus 5 points: Give me the name of all of the matrices that all their vectors are at right angles to each other, and the squared length of all of their vectors is 1!

This covers a variety of subjects, not for the faint at heart! Good luck!

Have a great week!

edited to help out on the bonus...

Edited by LeoDaVinci (Tue Jan 18 2005 07:44 PM)

#253025 - Tue Jan 18 2005 08:57 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

For Round 16 - I failed to specify the 2005 Golden Globes.

#253026 - Tue Jan 18 2005 03:20 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 15 is now closed.

Edited by kevinatilusa (Tue Jan 18 2005 09:39 PM)

#253027 - Tue Jan 18 2005 10:42 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Round 15 Results:

There were 7 entrants

1: A Loreena McKennitt Album
10: The Book of Secrets, To Drive the Cold Winter Away, Elemental, A Winter Garden, The Mask and Mirror.
5: The Visit (2)

Overall a pretty broad coverage, with "Parallel Dreams" the only studio album not given. McKennitt is probably best known for "The Mummer's Dance" from her album "The Book of Secrets", which reached Billboard's top 20 in 1998.

2: A Species of Salmon
10: Grilse, Chinook, Sockeye
5: Coho (2), Chum (2)

Grilse is also known as Atlantic Salmon, and is the only salmon native to an ocean other than the Pacific. Wild Grilse is unlikely to be on your plate, however, due to overfishing and the growth of salmon farms.

3: A Non-"Stan" former Soviet nation
10: Moldova, Russia, Ukraine.
5: Georgia (4)

Answers not given were Armenia, Azerbaijan, and the three Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania).

4: A "Rabbit" novel by John Updike
10: Rabbit, Run. Rabbit is Rich. Rabbit at Rest
5: Rabbit Redux (3)
Not accepted: Rabbit Angstrom (the name of one collected edition of the other novels, but not a novel itself as far as I could tell).

Also acceptible would have been "Rabbit, Remembered", which takes place after the death of Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom and deals with how the lives of his family continues on. Other updike novels include "The Witches of Eastwick", which was rather loosely adapted into a 1987 film.

5: A Piece from a "Peer Gynt" Suite
10: Abduction of the Bride (Ingrid's Lament)
5: Solveig's Song (2), In the Hall of the Mountain King (4)

It is interesting that the music that Grieg is most known for ("Peer Gynt", in particular "In the Hall of the Mountain King") is also that which Grieg liked the least. Grieg had to alter his music to fit the Ibsen play he was writing music for, and he considered several of the pieces true clunkers. In particular, he described the "Mountain King" as "something that I literally cannot stand to listen to because it absolutely reeks of cow pies, exaggerated Norwegian provincialism, and trollish self-sufficiency".

Scores:
45: Cinnam0n
40: onlytrivial
35: ElfTwinkle, Gatsby722
30: JustaNobody, MJohn620, Ozzz2002

Congratulations to Cinnam0n and thanks to everybody who participated!

#253028 - Wed Jan 19 2005 02:29 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

Round 16 has closed but seeing as I won't be able to post the answers for a couple of hours I will allow latecomers.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002