Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#253054 - Tue Jan 25 2005 08:49 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
ROUND 23 RESULTS

Nine people played this round. Thank you all!

1 A movie starring both Doris Day and Gordon MacRae

Worth 10 points:
‘By the Light of the Silvery Moon’ (1953), ‘Starlift’ (1951)

Worth 5 points:
‘On Moonlight Bay’ (5)(1951), ‘Tea for Two’ (2)(1950)

The only feature film that they made together that nobody mentioned was ‘The West Point Story’ (1950). They also both appeared in a couple of shorts.

2 A FunTrivia player who finished in the Top Ten of the Daily Tournament that ended on 27 December listed here .

Worth 10 points:
Dinger50 (#4), mos623 (#7), MaggieG 5 (#9)

Worth 5 points:
Monstro (2)(#1), decal (2)(#5), TabbyTom (2)(#6)

Not mentioned: brazee (#2), j2cp2 (#3), rae64 (#8) and timmacg (#10)

3 One of the Top Ten names for boys in England and Wales in 2004 according to the UK Office of National Statistics

Worth 10 points:
Thomas (#3), Daniel (#5), Samuel (#6), Benjamin (#9)

Worth 5 points:
Oliver (3)(#7), Joshua (2)(#2)

Not mentioned: Jack (#1), James (#4), William (#8), Joseph (#10)

4 Any Toronto Blue Jay who has worn the uniform number 10 since 1977

Worth 10 points:
Doug Rader (June 1977 till end of season), Mike Sharperson (1987)

Worth 5 points:
Vernon Wells (6) (2000 till the present)

One person did not answer this question.

Not mentioned: Jim Mason (April-May 1977), John Mayberry (1978-82), Dave Collins (1983-84), Pat Borders (1988-94, part of ’99)

5 A recipient of either the Victoria Cross or the Medal of Honor for a deed performed in the year 1900 (not the date the award was made)

Worth 10 points:
Hampden Z.C. Cockburn VC (Lieutenant, Royal Canadian Dragoons, 7 Nov 1900, South Africa), Daniel Daly (Medal of Honor) (Private, US Marine Corps, China, 14 August 1900), Lewis S.T. Halliday VC (Captain, Royal Marine Light Infantry, China 24 June 1900), John MacKenzie VC (Sergeant, Seaforth Highlanders, 6 June 1900, Ashanti (West Africa))

Worth 5 points:
William Heaton VC (3)(Private, The King’s (Liverpool) Regt, South Africa, 23 August 1900), (Brian Turner) Tom Lawrence VC (2)(Sergeant, 17th Lancers, South Africa, 7 August 1900)

Among those not mentioned are:
VCs: Lieut. Richard Turner and Sgt Edward Holland, in the same action as Cockburn; Sgt Arthur Richardson, also in South Africa; Midshipman Basil Guy, RN, in China
Medals of Honor: A list of awards for the China Relief Expedition/Boxer Rebellion can be found here .

Dan Daly went on to receive a second Medal of Honor for action in Haiti in 1915.

And the winner is:

ElfTwinkle with 40 points

35 points: beaker411, Exit10, gatsby722, onlytrivial
30 points: littlewoman2, mjohn620, Santana2002
25 points: cinnam0n

Congratulations ElfTwinkle, and thanks again everyone for playing!

#253055 - Wed Jan 26 2005 11:09 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graham, Texas, USA
ROUND 26

These questions are all about Texas.

1. Name a U.S. state that borders Texas.
2. Name a city in Texas with a population greater than 200,000.
3. Name a professional sports team that plays its home games in Texas.
4. Name someone who has been governor of Texas at any time since 1970.
5. Name an international airport in Texas.

You have about 48 hours. Good luck!

#253056 - Wed Jan 26 2005 12:15 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Ok, I give up. It isn't fair of me to expect you guys to put up with this. I just don't have enough time. I thought I would after the holidays, but I was wrong. I have to drop out for a while. I'm really sorry.

#253057 - Wed Jan 26 2005 01:39 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Ok Lothruin thanks for telling us! My results will be up tomorrow sometime

#253058 - Thu Jan 27 2005 01:51 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Sorry you have to pass for a while, Lothruin. You can still participate when you find the time to play, of course

As for ROUND 24, I'll get the results up this afternoon. I think anyone who wants to have a go has already done so, but if not I'll still accept answers until I get around to doing up the results. Sorry about the delay.

#253059 - Thu Jan 27 2005 06:54 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore
Maryland USA
Round 27

These questions are about the Harry Potter books.

Name:
1. A character in the Harry Potter books who is older than Harry and was a student at Hogwarts in at least one book

2. A store in Hogsmeade (the village near the Hogwarts school)

3. A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher

4. A one-word spell used in the books

5. A muggle (non-wizard) character

(If you need help finding answers, The Harry Potter Lexicon is a great resource.)

#253060 - Thu Jan 27 2005 08:04 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
RESULTS! ROUND 25!
Everybody did well on this round!
Q1 – A “Famous Five” book – there are 21 to choose from
For Ten Points
Five go down to the sea, Five on a secret trail, Five have plenty of fun, Five get into a fix, Five go off in a caravan, Five on Finniston Farm, Five go off to Smuggler’s Top,
Not Mentioned
Five of a Treasure Island, Five are together again, Five Run Away Together and others. The books features Julian, Dick, Anne, George (real name Georgina) and Timmy the dog.

Q2 – A “Secret Seven” book – there are 15 to choose from
For Ten Points
Secret Seven win through, Fun for the Secret Seven, Go ahead Secret Seven, Puzzle for the Secret Seven, Well Done Secret Seven,
For Five Points
Three Cheers Secret Seven (2),
Not Mentioned
Secret Seven Mystery, Secret Seven on the Trail and others. The books feature Peter, Janet, Colin, George, Jack, Pam, Barbara, and Scamper the dog.

Q3 – A “Mystery” book, which concerns the Five Find-Outters and their dog. Again, 15 to choose from
For Ten Points
The mystery of Holly Lane, The Mystery of the Hidden House, The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat,
For Five Points
The mystery of the disappearing Cat (2), The mystery of the Burnt Cottage (2),
Not Mentioned
The Mystery of Banshee Towers, The Mystery of the Invisable thief, The Mystery of the Secret Room and others. The books features Fatty (Frederick Algeron Trotterville) Larry Daisy Pip and Bets, with Buster the Dog.

Q4 – A “Secrets” book – eg “The Secret of…..”
For Ten Points
Nobody!
For Five Points
The Secret of Killimoon (3), The Secret of Spiggy Holes (2), The Secret Island (2),
Not Mentioned
The Secret Mountain, The Secret of Moon Castle. The books features Peggy, Mike, Jack and Nora. Also Prince Paul in later books.

And finally Q5 – A “Adventure” book – eg “The Adventure of….”
For Ten Points
The Circus of Adventure, They Valley of Adventure, The Sea of Adventure, The Mountain of Adventure
For Five Points
The Castle of Adventure (2) (This is also known as “The Woods of Adventure”)
Not Mentioned
The Island of Adventure, The Ship of Adventure, The River of Adventure. The book features Philip, Dinah, Jack, Lucy-Ann and Kiki the parrot.

SCORES
ElfTwinkle – 45
Beasker411 – 45

Santana – 40
Mjohn620 - 40

CinnamOm – 35
Gatsby - 35

Ozzz – 30

#253061 - Thu Jan 27 2005 08:30 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'm going to post Round 28 now, early again. Hey, appreciate this if you can. I'm never early with anything these days . This I can get the jump on. Results on Sunday...

1. A little pack of children took on that hideous clown Pennywise in Stephen King's novel "It". Name one of them.

2. There are 10 mentions in "The Bill Of Rights" (US Constitution). Select one of them.

3. Tell me a movie up for Best Foreign Language Film in the Oscar race recently announced.

4. Name a ball that you need to inflate before you can use it.

5. Pick a song from the movie/soundtrack of "Saturday Night Fever".

Have fun, folks! See ya Sunday.

#253062 - Thu Jan 27 2005 05:25 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

ROUND 24 - RESULTS

(at last)

Thanks to the 8 participants for their patience awaiting the results.

1) The bones of the human body fall into four general categories: long bones, short bones, flat bones, and irregular bones. Long bones are longer than they are wide and work as levers. Name me one.

10 Points: Phalanges - Humerus - Tibia
5 Points: Femur (2), Ulna (2)
Disallowed - Clavicle. This is classified as an irregular bone, as it is S-shaped.

2) Name me one of the 'Toa' from Lego's current Bionicle range.

10 Points: Toa Tahu, Toa Onewa, Toa Lewa, Toa Nokama, Toa Matau, Toa Whenua, Toa Vakama, Toa Lhikan

3) A country with celtic origins (there are at least 7 to choose from)

10 Points: Austria, Luxembourg - Isle of Man - Wales - Ireland
5 Points: Galicia & Spain (3)

4) A song title, at least three words in length, in which ALL the words in the title are in alphabetical order. (Please include performing artist/group if possible)

10 Points everyone - songs chosen were:
ABC, by The Jackson 5
By The Way, by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Broken Hearted Me, by Anne Murray
Friends in Low Places, by Garth Brooks
All by Myself, by Eric Carmen
Come On Over, by Shania Twain
Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Neil Diamond
Love Me Now, by Gino Vanelli

5) A plural word ending in the letter S which becomes a singular word when you add another S to the end of the original word, eg, millionaires becomes millionairesS.

10 Points:
(singular) - (Plural) -> (New word with added S)
Bra - Bras -> Brass
Prince - Princes -> Princess
Timeline - timelines -> timeliness
La - las -> lass
Posse - Posses -> possess
Hi - His -> hiss
Billionaire - billionaires, billionairess
Disallowed: hero/heroes/heroess, as this is an obsolete word.

The Scores

50 Points: ElfTwinkle, ozzz2002
45 Points: beaker411, littlewoman2
40 Points: Cinnam0n, mjohn, Gatsby722
35 Points: Exit10

Thanks for playing everyone, and congratulations to our two winners.

Any player who thinks I've been unfair, feel free to correct me.

Edited to include littlewoman2's answers, which got missed out.

Edited by Santana2002 (Fri Jan 28 2005 08:46 AM)

#253063 - Thu Jan 27 2005 11:09 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Well, it wasn't my answer, but I don't really understand your not accepting Spain as an answer to question #3. It definitely has Celtic origins, and you asked for a country, so how can the name of a country be too vague? JMHO

#253064 - Fri Jan 28 2005 07:46 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Galicia is an autonomous country in its own right, just like Scotland or Wales (which nobody would dispute are celtic countries, even though they form part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). See here and here.

This is why I disallowed that particular answer.

However, I'll just chalk it up to experience, shall I?, and pose my questions more carefully in future. Sorry again.

Edited by Santana2002 (Fri Jan 28 2005 08:03 AM)

#253065 - Fri Jan 28 2005 04:26 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graham, Texas, USA
I apologize for this delay, but I am going home for the weekend, so it will take a little while for Round 26 answers. The round is still open, though.

#253066 - Sat Jan 29 2005 04:25 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Round 27 is now closed.

Before posting results I would like to get opinions on whether to allow a few unexpected answers:

Quote:

1. A character in the Harry Potter books who is older than Harry and was a student at Hogwarts in at least one book

Each book covers a year when Harry is a student at Hogwarts, so when I wrote the question I was trying to ask for someone who was a student for at least one of the years that Harry was there. Someone answered “Lily Evans” (Harry’s mother). Obviously she wasn’t at Hogwarts while Harry was. But there was a scene in “HP and the Order of the Phoenix” where Harry (and the readers) saw Lily as a student through Snape’s memories. Does that count as being “a student at Hogwarts in at least one book”?

Quote:

One of the answers given was “Dodgey Dirk” who is mentioned in “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” as “the only Muggle who seems to remember that attack by a dragon in Ilfracombe in 1932” (the quote is from the Harry Potter Lexicon. I can’t find my copy of the book).

For those of you not in tune with the Harry Potter books, “Fantastic Beasts...” is one of Harry’s textbooks. When the series got so popular, J.K. Rowling actually wrote the book. So, is someone mentioned in a textbook considered a character? If someone in a non-fantastical school series said “We studied Ben Franklin in school today. I want to learn to fly a kite” I don’t think that would that make Ben Franklin a character in the series. Does it make a difference that the textbook itself is fictional? Opinions, anyone?

Obviously I have to think more carefully before asking any more questions set in fictional stories

Also, if any hard-core HP fans (or anyone who really likes to research stuff) can find Dean Thomas’ birthdate, please let me know. Dean was given as an answer to Q1. He was in the same class as Harry, but neither I nor the person giving the answer can find his birthdate which of them was older. Harry’s birthdate is July 31, 1980.

Thanks,
Julia

#253067 - Sat Jan 29 2005 06:41 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Julia, what I know about HP would cover the head of a pin. I picked Lily Evans at random, and did not know it was his mum. Feel free to disallow it.

I will leave the other questions to someone who knows more about the books than I do..

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#253068 - Sat Jan 29 2005 07:23 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Just my 2 cents, being something of a Potterphile ...

I don't know that I'd allow Lily as an answer simply because that is a memory, not an actual "real-time" student. There are tons of people who would fall into the older-than-Harry catagory who show up in memories-you could name most of the people in the book. I guess it depends on how tolerant you are of technicalities.

As for Dodgy Dirk, I think that would depend on your definition of canon. Do you regard all her published works canon, or just the 5 "Harry Potter and..." books as canon.
Seeing as you didn't really specify, I'd probably accept it.

Still checking on Dean's birthday...but again, I think that's a technicality issue. Did you mean just older, or older as in, in a different year? You didn't specify, but I thought you meant in a different year.

So I guess it just depends on how nice you want to be.

But like I said, just my opinion. And as I didn't play this one, I have no stake in the outcome.

#253069 - Sat Jan 29 2005 07:31 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Seeing as I have managed to put them together earlier than normal, here are the questions for Round 30 (Sunday 30 January 2005). Players will still have until the end of Tuesday 1 February (unless I am even slower) to get their answers in.

Name:
1. A type of dwelling
2. A member of the Bush family
3. A type of owl or frogmouth found in Australia
4. A celebrity who promotes or has their name attached to a perfume.
5. A character from the book 'Animal Farm'

#253070 - Sat Jan 29 2005 07:41 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Quote:

Julia, what I know about HP would cover the head of a pin.

Ditto for me --- as I stated in my response, I asked the kids in my daughters grade 3 class for help with one of my answers.

I will refrain from voicing an opinion as to whether to accept or reject these 3 answers (as one of the answers in question is mine) --- whatever you decide as far as the validity of the answers is fine with me as well.

Personally, I believe it is up to the person who set the round of questions to decide if answers are valid or not --- and that if someone feels slighted due to their answer being rejected, then they are responsible for supplying a link to back up the validity of their rejected answer.

Edited by ElfTwinkle (Sun Jan 30 2005 08:33 AM)

#253071 - Sun Jan 30 2005 04:40 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
kevinatilusa Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: California USA       
And here are some questions for Round 29:

Please give:

1. A full length novel written by Ian Fleming and featuring James Bond.

2. A State in the U.S. which has a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean

3. An element beginning with the letter A.

4. A county which was once part of the province of Ulster.

5. A tile worth at least 4 points in the English version of Scrabble.

#253072 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:06 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

Kevin,
I presume you mean Ireland and not New York when you speak of a county in Ulster.

#253073 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:18 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Good Heavens! We are really getting nit picky about these questions. Kevin's question seemed perfectly clear to me. Just answer it, will ya? He'll decide if it's acceptable.

#253074 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:43 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

Gats,
I simply asked the question because I didn't know of any counties and the first page of Google came up with all New York sites.
Where are your manners this morning?

#253075 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:47 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I'm sorry. It just seemed like some were getting all fussy about things. No intention to offend. I'll keep my manners in check hereafter.

#253076 - Sun Jan 30 2005 08:51 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Exit10 Offline

No probs at all sweet.

#253077 - Sun Jan 30 2005 10:12 AM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Maryland USA
Thank you to everyone who gave input on my questions both here and in PMs. I have decided to give 5 points for the questionable answers. Although in some cases the people who gave the answers didn’t know how they fit into the Harry Potter books, the questions were ambiguous enough that I didn’t feel comfortable disallowing them. On the other hand, I didn't want to give the full 10 points because that would have worked against the people who gave unquestionable answers.

Round 27 results

10 points:

Oliver Wood, Percy Weasley, Roger Davies, George Weasley
5 points:
Dean Thomas, Lily Evans
Disallowed:
Jenny Weasley. Presumeably this is meant to be Ginny who is younger than Harry.
Not mentioned: Fred Weasley, Angelina Johnson, Katie Bell, Alicia Spinnet (all of them were on the Gryffindor Quidditch team), Lee Jordan, Cho Chang, Cedric Diggory, Marcus Flint (Slytherin Quidditch captain), Penelope Clearwater (Percy’s girlfriend in book 2). Although I wasn't originally thinking of students in Harry's year, I would have given points for Ron Weasley or Neville Longbottom since the Harry Potter Lexicon gives Ron's birthdate as March 1, 1980 and Neville's as July 30, 1980.

2. A store in Hogsmeade (the village near the Hogwarts school)
10 points:

Dervish & Banges
5 points:
Madam Puddifoot’s tearoom (2) Honeydukes Sweetshop (2), Zonko’s Joke Shop (2)
Not mentioned: The Three Broomsticks, Gladrags Wizardwear, Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop

3. A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher
5 points:

Dolores Umbridge (book 5) (2), Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody/Barty Crouch (book 4) (2), Remis Lupin (book 3) (3)
Not mentioned: Quirenius Quirrell (book 1), Gilderoy Lockhart (book 2)

4. A one-word spell used in the Harry Potter books
10 points:

Alomahoma (opens doors)
Lumos (causes a small beam of light to shine from the end of the caster's wand)
Finite (stops currently operating spell effects)
Protego (creates a magical barrier to deflect hexes)
Orchideus (conjures a bouquet of flowers out of the end of a wand)
Morsmorde (conjures up the Dark Mark)
5 points: Accio
Accio is a summoning spell for objects. I originally disallowed as not really being one-word since it requires mentioning the object being summoned (“Accio broomstick” for example) which makes it into two words. Saying only "Accio!" would not produce results. However on-line lists of spells don't mention this problem, so I'm considering this as another questionable answer and giving 5 points.
Not mentioned: , Crucio (an Unforgiveable Curse, causes the victim to suffer pain), Expelliarmus (causes opponent's weapon to fly out of their hand), Mobilicorpus (moves a body), Obliviate (modifies or erases memory)

10 points:

Piers Polkiss (friend of Dudley)
Angus Fleet (mentioned in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, saw Flying Ford Anglia)
Mr. Granger (Hermione’s father)
Jim McGuffin (Weatherman on the evening News which Vernon Dursley was watching on Nov 1, 1981)
5 points:
Dodgy Dirk (mentioned in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
Dudley Dursley (2)
Not mentioned (just the obvious ones): Vernon Dursley, Petunia Dursley, Marjorie Dursley (Aunt Marge)

Cinnam0n 40
Mjohn620 40

JaneMarple 35
Beaker411 35
Santana2002 35
Ozzz2002 35

ElfTwinkle 25

Edited by Julia103 (Sun Jan 30 2005 01:31 PM)

#253078 - Sun Jan 30 2005 01:54 PM Re: January 2005 Trivia!
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

ROUND 31

I'm going to try make this round as understandable and obvious as possible, to avoid misunderstandings or ambiguous questions.

Please name for me:

1. A Painting by Giuseppe Arcimboldo
2. One of the 'Lands' in Parc Disneyland, Paris. Walt Disney Studios is excluded, as is Main Street USA.
3. Polygons are classified according to the number of sides they have, which equals the number of vertices. Give me the name of any polygon, and the number of sides it has.
4. Any published novel, humorous essay, sketch, fiction or poetry by Irish author John D(esmond) Sheridan.
5. An electrical kitchen appliance.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002