Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#253538 - Wed Jan 05 2005 10:28 PM Americacentricity
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
This post is regarding Linda1's post on Americacentricity (if that's a word). This site has an unbalanced amount of American quizzes or quizzes related to America. Maybe we can close the US topics for... say a week?

#253539 - Wed Jan 05 2005 10:42 PM Re: Americacentricity
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
The US has a population five times greater than the UK, and fifteen times that of Australia, so the 'imbalance' is to be expected. Also, the site itself is based in America.

Closing US topics is not the answer... there would be an enormous uproar if we tried that!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#253540 - Wed Jan 05 2005 10:48 PM Re: Americacentricity
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
How about creating quizzes on non-US topics instead?

Editor for Television Category

#253541 - Thu Jan 06 2005 09:16 AM Re: Americacentricity
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Maybe it's to do with my choice of quizzes, but I haven't found any particular 'Americacentricity'. I don't do many entertainment quizzes, and those I do are generally international by nature, eg, opera, major films, and even Simpsons. I've done a fair number of U.S. related quizzes, especially those on National Parks which I know quite well, and I've also done a lot of State flag quizzes, which were all interesting. Yesterday I tried a quiz on the Tokyo underground (the quiz that is, not me trying it - joke!). I got a respectable 5/10 which wasn't bad!

#253542 - Fri Jan 07 2005 08:14 PM Re: Americacentricity
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

NSW Australia
And... I forgot to add:

I was forced to start this topic after I went into Hobbies and Games: Auto World. All of the quizzes were on: Mustangs, Cobras, Pontiacs, Vipers, Shelbys etc. None of those are made in Australia.

P.S. One week is not a long time ...I mean you cannot submit quizzes for 2 weeks during the holiday period.

#253543 - Fri Jan 07 2005 08:14 PM Re: Americacentricity
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

NSW Australia
And how can 1 or 2 quizzes I make affect the system?

#253544 - Fri Jan 07 2005 08:22 PM Re: Americacentricity
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Please let me make a shameless plug for my international quiz in the auto world section where as it happens, I edit the car quizzes. It seems to have been a resounding flop however, as it uses cars from all over the world.
The reason you'd find more American cars is that there seem to be more American car enthusiasts submitting quizzes, with perhaps the Aussies coming in a close second. I'm surprised at the latter though as we have quite a few Aussie oriented quizzes in that section.

I do tend to advise people to write quizzes with sensitivity to our international site. I don't allow 'our' etc for car quizzes from a particular country.

So, you are welcome to create a new one if you like.

#253545 - Mon Jan 10 2005 09:47 PM Re: Americacentricity
Wallarobba Offline
Explorer

NSW Australia
Quote:

So, you are welcome to create a new one if you like.

I'm trying to, but everytime I'm on my fourth question, I run out of ideas.

#253546 - Tue Jan 11 2005 10:37 AM Re: Americacentricity
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Well, what sort of things do you like? Is there a particular class in school you liked? What a lot of people do is write down ideas on little scraps of paper. When they have an idea for a quesiton, they add to it. When they get enough ideas written on the paper, then they have enough for a quiz.

For me, my latest bunch of quizzes was on Star Trek: Voyager with a theme of a certain letter of the alphabet. For example, on the S quiz, all of the answers began with the same letter.

Editor for Television Category

Moderator:  agony