Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#253750 - Sat Jan 08 2005 12:34 AM What constitutes repitition?
Neume Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could help me with this: I know that we aren't supposed to make quizzes that repeat previously used questions, for obvious reasons. I have just taken a quiz that asked a couple questions which, while not the same, were a close parallel to some which were in one of my previous quizzes. So, my question is this: What constitutes repeating a question? Is it all right to ask the same thing as some one else, as long as you rephrase it? Just wondering. Thanks for any help!

#253751 - Sat Jan 08 2005 12:55 PM Re: What constitutes repitition?
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: California USA
I think it depends on the category.

In my categories, no repetition- including rewording- is allowed. If I note it, I'll reject the quiz.

If repetition is allowed, then quizzes can get pretty boring. No one wants to answer the same question a zillion times.

#253752 - Sat Jan 08 2005 02:48 PM Re: What constitutes repitition?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It does become a question of - "Did the editor notice it?". Some questions have been asked so many times that the editors are very aware of them. For me, questions about the riddle game in "The Hobbit", for example, raise a red flag; I know that those questions have been asked and reasked. However, a question about some long poem in Elvish will maybe not trigger that "I've seen this before" response in me. The best argument against repetition is not so much whether the editors will catch it, but whether your quiz will be better without it. Even if the editors allow it to go through, players playing all of the quizzes in a specific category will notice, and will rate the third quiz they play with the same questions more poorly.

#253753 - Sat Jan 08 2005 05:32 PM Re: What constitutes repitition?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I was wondering about that too. It seems to happen in the Movies section a lot, I find.

#253754 - Sat Jan 08 2005 10:57 PM Re: What constitutes repitition?
Neume Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana, USA
Well, this was the first time I'd seen it, so it set me wondering. Thanks for the help.

#253755 - Sun Jan 09 2005 08:11 AM Re: What constitutes repitition?
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Yeah, Movies is the worst. I saw several of mine repeated. But, the truth might be, I think, with so many quizzes on-line how can you know them all?. I might have duplicated as I went, too - but I didn't mean to if I did.

#253756 - Sun Jan 09 2005 09:18 AM Re: What constitutes repitition?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Presumably if a question or associated interesting information is similar or even paraphrased, but in a different category it will be allowed?

#253757 - Sun Jan 09 2005 01:24 PM Re: What constitutes repitition?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I can't speak for all the editors, but in TV when I can remember a question and the answer to it without having ever seen the show, that's when I know I've seen it on a few too many quizzes. That's the point when we'll say 'ok, no more asking ____ on a quiz.'

If there is plagiarism (the direct copying of a question), we'll try to figure out if it was just accidental or intentional. We have had a few occasions in the past where an author will copy another author's quiz that has already been online. Such activity is definitely NOT allowed here!

Editor for Television Category

#253758 - Mon Jan 10 2005 05:47 AM Re: What constitutes repitition?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Personally, when I am making quizzes, I try and print out any quizzes written on the same book, so I try and avoid using somebody elses questions!

Moderator:  agony