Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#254058 - Thu Jan 20 2005 07:01 PM Re: One Fed Up User
onlytrivial Offline
Explorer

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
After reading all that has been posted here, I am seriously considering downloading Firefox. Just one question before I do, though.

After or during the process of downloading and installing Firefox, do I have to get rid of Internet Explorer, or can I keep it on my desktop and access both?

Thanks for the help!

#254059 - Fri Jan 21 2005 01:49 AM Re: One Fed Up User
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Quote:

After or during the process of downloading and installing Firefox, do I have to get rid of Internet Explorer, or can I keep it on my desktop and access both?

IE and other browsers work quite happily alongside each other. In fact it's necessary to keep Internet Explorer because:

* It is needed for Windows Update to work.

* Some online virus/spyware scanners rely on ActiveX in order to work. (ActiveX is an IE only feature, thereby lies one of it's vulnerabilities).

* You'll occasionally come across a site that will only work when viewed with IE.

Even if you don't use IE very much, it is still necessary to it functional updated and protected.

#254060 - Fri Jan 21 2005 11:16 AM Re: One Fed Up User
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graham, Texas, USA
There is an extension called the User Agent Switcher, which will make other sites think you are using IE or another browser you select. Most pages will work this way, but in case they don't, there is an extension called Launchy that will allow you to open a page in IE.

#254061 - Fri Jan 21 2005 11:49 AM Re: One Fed Up User
jonimacaroni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
Well, the saga continues. I've done what the tech has recommended and still am unable to open more than 2 windows, on IE, without getting an error message that closes IE after sending it, or, I get that FGIeMemo window. In addition, I can't access games on MSN Zone.com, probably due to removing cookies, or, an ActiveX problem. I've asked the tech to help me with this as well.

I've also asked him, again, whether he knows what that FGIeMemo is. I've been told by an MDG tech that it may be from Kazaa (spelling?).

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I contacted the manufacturer of my PC. To reinstall Windows, do the SP2 download for me and make sure everything is working properly, $90.00. It was $150.00, but due to the large amount of customers that have required that it be done, they lowered the cost. I can also get McAfee to replace Norton (that was buggered up by the last Microsoft Security Update). They don't use Norton anymore because of it's instability. That will be about $60.00. For an additional $50.00, they will backup my needed files and reload them. For free, they will load Kazaa Light, which should get rid of the FGIe thing. Turn around time, 2 to 3 days.

Mr. Gates, where ever you are, may your Ferrari be plagued with 4 flats whenever you enter it. I still don't understand how Microsoft can't be financially responsible for the problems it causes to it's own systems. If GM puts a new part in my car and it causes problems, they recall it at no expense to me. Hopefully car manufacturers will never get on to the loophole that Microsoft lawyers have found.

If any bright person out there hears of a class action suit to reverse the Microsoft liability issue, let me know, I'll sign up. Will keep you posted friends.

I almost forgot, that pesky lop toolbar can be removed if I right click and then click something called Free Nation. Driving blind, but at least now I know how to get rid of it.

Edited by jonimacaroni (Fri Jan 21 2005 11:52 AM)

#254062 - Fri Feb 11 2005 08:32 AM Re: One Fed Up User
jonimacaroni Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
Well, you will all be happy to know that my IE problems have been fixed. It only took various emails back and forth to the tech, who was very nice and based somewhere in the Orient. I've been using it all week and so far so good. It is difficult to type with my fingers crossed, but I'm adapting.

Still can't access the Norton site properly, but I'm going to take your tip, Telly, and install Avast!.

By the way, that FGIeMemo error window is also gone. The tech had no idea about it, but at least the thing hasn't turned up again.

Has Microsoft won me over again, I think not. The latest update, from Windows has caused a new irritation that I guess I can live with. When scrolling, or moving a window, it undulates (ripples) instead of being a solid image. If I use MSN Explorer and open say my Favourites, it fades in and out slowly.

Bill Gates, I hope I live to see the day your monopoly dissolves and some new system comes out that at least gives us poor consumers a choice.

#254063 - Fri Feb 11 2005 11:25 AM Re: One Fed Up User
Shrivats Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Dubai, UAE
Same here regarding the rippling thing, however, I've had that problem for so long that I'm nearly used to it by now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29