Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#255874 - Wed Feb 02 2005 01:29 AM HI guys...just a question.
Kittencat Offline
Forum Adept

I've just played a new quiz and 'scored' 2 out of 10...when clearly most of my answers were correct (I made it 8/10). It even said 'incorrect..the answer is brought' when that was the answer I chose.

This was a mulitiple choice quiz.

Does this happen often as I have noticed it before, and it's quite frustrating when you know you've done quite well.

Edited by Kittencat (Wed Feb 02 2005 01:31 AM)

#255875 - Wed Feb 02 2005 02:02 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
A situation like that should not usually happen. What you can do, provided you know your answer is correct, is to send the author of the quiz a correction note. The only other thing I would say is to make sure you are polite when you send it.

If you can supply the quiz ID number, an editor can look into it as well.

#255876 - Wed Feb 02 2005 02:26 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
Kittencat Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks Dave, will do.

I'm always polite.

#255877 - Wed Feb 02 2005 09:35 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
It's been a while, but I have had the same problem before. I don't remember which quiz it was but the answer (a fill-in-the-blank) was "John Travolta". That's what I wrote and received an incorrect notice that the answer is "John Travolta", spelled the same. I double checked the spelling and even noticed that a high percentage of quiz takers got the answer correct so I knew then it wasn't the quizmakers mistake. I did write to the author, but didn't get a reply. If this happens again, I'll mark the page and let an editor see.

#255878 - Wed Feb 02 2005 09:55 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm almost dead certain that these false results are because of the recent churning around from Terry's upgrading.
By the way though, if you do send a note for a false incorrect, chances are the person writing the quiz has absolutely no idea about what you're talking about unless they are an editor.
I think that if you do a message like this, you might wish to add, 'Please notify the editor about this problem'.
As it's just happened in the past few days, I'd wager it's the upgrading.

#255879 - Wed Feb 02 2005 10:04 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Ditto what Bruyere said. A lot of times (when it hasn't been the result of tweaking the system , the problem has been a 'brain fart' on the website where there was a blip at the same time you were submitting your answers, so it counted them wrong.

Also, if it is a FITB answer, once in a while an author will put an extra space in the answer. When the editors don't catch this problem, the players will all get the answer wrong.

Editor for Television Category

#255880 - Wed Feb 02 2005 10:15 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

Also, if it is a FITB answer, once in a while an author will put an extra space in the answer. When the editors don't catch this problem, the players will all get the answer wrong.

This is what I originally thought, but then noticed that it was a high percentage that answered correctly so that shot that theory out of the water. It was probably just a temporary glitch. And if I recall correctly, when I wrote the author, I think I mentioned it was probably a glitch. I know I wasn't upset over it, just curious.

#255881 - Wed Feb 02 2005 10:24 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
ertrum Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Cary North Carolina USA      
Would it be hard to have FT handle FITB responses so that leading and trailing whitespace are deleted and all cases of multiple whitespaces get compressed to one space? In other words, so that
" this is an answer" would be seen internally as "this is an answer". I expect that would get rid of some of the spacing problems with FITBs.

#255882 - Wed Feb 02 2005 10:24 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
With an FITB, if the per centage correct is high, it could be that the player has accidentally put in an extra space when typing the answer. I know that I do this sometimes, especially if typing quickly.

#255883 - Thu Feb 03 2005 08:23 AM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
As we normally use word processing that does a right justification, it's normal that when we type our eyes get used to an extra space here and there. So the above is true and more often than you think.

This is one of the main reasons that restricting FITBS is a good idea.

#255884 - Thu Feb 03 2005 03:45 PM Re: Hi guys...just a question.
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
<< Ditto what Bruyere said. A lot of times (when it hasn't been the result of tweaking the system , the problem has been a 'brain fart' on the website where there was a blip at the same time you were submitting your answers, so it counted them wrong. >>

Unlikely... this problem sounds more like a particular quiz has a funny control character or something embedded in one of the answers. Please tell us which quiz this occurs on so that we can check it out. Thanks.

Terry

#255885 - Thu Feb 03 2005 06:56 PM Re: HI guys...just a question.
Chippy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma USA
Quote:

I've just played a new quiz and 'scored' 2 out of 10...when clearly most of my answers were correct (I made it 8/10). It even said 'incorrect..the answer is brought' when that was the answer I chose.

This was a mulitiple choice quiz.

Does this happen often as I have noticed it before, and it's quite frustrating when you know you've done quite well.

I must've played the same quiz, because I had the exact same thing happen, and "brought" was one of my incorrect correct answers. It marked 5 or 6 of mine wrong that were actually right.

#255886 - Thu Feb 03 2005 07:14 PM Re: HI guys...just a question.
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
Do you have the quiz ID number or name?

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#255887 - Thu Feb 03 2005 08:09 PM Re: HI guys...just a question.
NatalieW Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
I think I know which quiz you mean; I have just put it online again after the author resubmitted it voluntarily. I've checked the quiz and played it myself and it is marking the correct answers as being correct now, so perhaps it was all due to Terry's playing around.

Natalie

#255888 - Tue Feb 22 2005 12:54 AM I think...
muhammadasad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan, Islamabad
I think you are talking about my quiz KIDS FUNTRIVIA III (Forms of Verbs). If you are talking about my quiz then please send me a note when such a result happens to you because I know how to correct this problem.

#255889 - Tue Feb 22 2005 02:19 AM Re: I think...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
How? It also occurs to me that if you suspect that there is a problem with one of your quizzes and if you know how to correct it, why haven't you?

#255890 - Tue Feb 22 2005 02:30 AM Re: I think...
muhammadasad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan, Islamabad
I have corrected my quiz. I just want to tell everyone that if this will happen in future so please send a note to the quiz's author.

Moderator:  agony