#265615 - Sat Apr 30 2005 05:30 PM May 2005 Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
May already!

Here are the questions for Sunday the first of May:

Quote:

Round 1

1 Actor Dirk Bogarde wrote his autobiography as a series of books. Please name one of them. (Note: He also wrote several novels. These will not be accepted.)
2 Name a FunTrivia quiz author with 200 or more quizzes online.
3 Sir John Mills made over 100 movies in his long career. Please name one in which his character served in the Royal Navy.
4 Please name a community in Ontario, Canada that has exactly the same name as a community in England (not Scotland, Ireland or Wales).
5 Name a recipient of the Victoria Cross for an action that took place in the month of May, in any year.

This round will close Tuesday evening.

#265616 - Sun May 01 2005 08:17 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Quiz Hosts for May
Mondays - Santana and Elftwinkle
Tuesdays - Me and LeoDaVinci
Wednesdays - Kuu, Chris Schru
Thursdays - Gatsby and Ozzz
Fridys - Gatsby and LittleWoman
Saturdays - Kevinatilusa and CinnamOm
and Sundays - SpanishLiz and Exit10

Each day the alloted person posts five questions (each question will have at least four different answers) and you PM to quiz host for the day. Each round closes approximately 48 hours after it is opened, and then the Quiz host posts the answers.

Edited by JaneMarple (Sun May 01 2005 08:22 AM)

#265617 - Mon May 02 2005 06:53 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 2: Mon. May 2nd

Quote:

Give me the:

Question 1) Name of a movie released BEFORE 2005/this year starring actor John Candy (Note: movies released in 2005 or later, movies made for TV, and movies that John Candy was either uncredited or just provided the voice for a character will NOT be accepted):

Question 2) Name of a book written by Jean Little:

Question 3) Title of a song on the album, Money Talks (released in 1982) by Trooper:

Question 4) The UEFA Champions League soccer tournament for 2004-2005 is now at the semi-final stage --- give me the name of one of the 4 teams still in contention to win the UEFA Champions League trophy later this month:

Question 5) I'm tired and feel like lounging around --- give me the name of a place in Canada that has a piece of furniture/a chair or bed as a roadside attraction (There are at least 8):

Note: If you are having trouble with any of these questions (notably Q4 and Q5), please PM me and I will try to point you in the right direction

Have fun!

This round will close sometime Wednesday

#265618 - Tue May 03 2005 01:36 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Tuesday 3th May

1. Name something a house painter uses.
2. Name something kids are always in a hurry to do.
3. Name something that should be built to last.
4. Name something annoying on answering machines.
5. Name me something that people do in the park

#265619 - Tue May 03 2005 01:00 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Any more for Round 1? Closing in an hour...

#265620 - Tue May 03 2005 02:34 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Round 1 is now closed. Results soon.

#265621 - Tue May 03 2005 04:29 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Round 1 Results

There were seven players this round.

1 Actor Dirk Bogarde wrote his autobiography as a series of books. Please name one of them.

Worth 10 points:
Cleared for Take Off, Great Meadow, A Particular Friendship

Worth 5 points:
An Orderly Man (2), A Short Walk from Harrod’s (2)

Although ‘Great Meadow’ and ‘A Particular Friendship’ aren’t always classed as autobiographies, they deal with aspects of Bogarde’s life, and were therefore acceptable.

Not mentioned: ‘A Postillion Struck by Lightning’, ‘Snakes and Ladders’, and ‘Backcloth’

2 Name a FunTrivia quiz author with 200 or more quizzes online.

Worth 10 points:
Flem-ish (289 quizzes), minch (443), Nightmare (587 and growing)

Worth 5 points:
Vermic (3)(283 quizzes)

Not accepted: kyleisalive, who falls just short of 200 with 194 quizzes.

Everyone stayed away from thejazzkickazz and his 800+ quizzes!

3 Sir John Mills made over 100 movies in his long career. Please name one in which his character served in the Royal Navy.

Worth 10 points:
‘Above Us the Waves’ (1955, as Cmdr. Fraser), ‘Brown on Resolution’ (aka ‘Born for Glory’ aka ‘Forever England)(1935, as Able Seaman Albert Brown), ‘Scott of the Antarctic’ (1948, as Captain Robert Falcon Scott, RN), ‘We Dive at Dawn’ (1943, as Lieut. Freddie Taylor, RN – submarine captain)

Worth 5 points:
‘In Which We Serve’ (2)(1942, as Ordinary Seaman Shorty Blake)

Not accepted: ‘Dunkirk’ (1958) in which he played a corporal in the British army.

Other possible answers: ‘Morning Departure’ (1950, aka ‘Operation Disaster’), ‘The Valiant’ (1962)

Trivia: Shorty Blake’s baby boy, seen briefly near the end of ‘In Which We Serve’, was played by Sir John’s daughter Juliet, then only a few months old.

4 Please name a community in Ontario, Canada that has exactly the same name as a community in England.

Well, this one was more difficult than I expected. At least one place given as an answer I could not find in England (even in my ‘Complete’ Atlas of Britain), yet it can be found online – though could possibly be being confused with a place with a very similar name. Some answers weren’t exactly the same in the two places…In the end I accepted all of the answers, and everyone who gave an answer got 10 points!

Worth 10 points:
Brantford, Kingston, Salford, Sandwich West, Stroud, Windsor

One person gave no answer to this question.

Other possibilities: London, Stratford (given that I decided not to go for ‘exact’ names), Cambridge, Peterborough, and many others

5 Name a recipient of the Victoria Cross for an action that took place in the month of May, in any year.

Worth 10 points:
Gaje Ghale (Havildar, 5th Gurkha Rifles, Burma, 25th May 1943), Albert Jacka (Lance-Corporal, 14th Bn (Victoria), Australian Imperial Force, Gallipoli, 19th/20th May 1915), Kamal Ram (Sepoy, 8th Punjab Regt., Indian Army, Italy, 12th May 1944), Harry Lyster (Lieut., 72nd Bengal Native Infantry, Indian Army, India, 23 May 1858), John Mackey (Corporal, 2/3rd Pioneer Bn, Australian Military Forces, Tarakan, 12th May 1945, posthumous), Keith Payne (Warrant Officer II, Australian Army Training Team, Vietnam, Vietnam, 24th May 1969)

Not accepted: Captain M.K. Durrani, who was a recipient of the George Cross.

Those not mentioned include: Wing Commander Guy Gibson, who led the Dams Raid in May 1943, Flying Officer Donald Garland and Sgt Tom Gray for the attack on the Maastricht Bridges in May 1940, and many others.

And the winner is:

ElfTwinkle with a perfect 50 points!

45 points: gatsby722, ozzz2002
40 points: Mugaboo
30 points: cinnam0n, ren33
25 points: Shrivats

Thank you all for playing, and congratulations to ElfTwinkle!

#265622 - Wed May 04 2005 10:33 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Graham, Texas, USA
Round 4

1. Name a word of at least four letters that can be formed from the letters in the word STAPLE.

2. Name a Team that has been eliminated from the current season of The Amazing Race.

3. Name a poker hand that beats two pair.

4. Name a track off of the Gretchen Wilson album Here For the Party.

5. Name a currently active pricing game from the US version of The Price is Right whose name begins with A, B, or C.

You have at least 48 hours. Good luck!

#265623 - Wed May 04 2005 10:38 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 2 is closed --- results in a few hours.

#265624 - Wed May 04 2005 10:53 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Hello, everyone! Here is Round 5!

1. The BBC collected the nominations for The 50 Things To Do Before You Die. Pick one of the top 7 on that list.

2. Yesterday marked the 35th anniversary of the Kent State University protest that resulted in 4 dead students. Name one of those that were killed that day.

3. Name an actress who appeared as Clark Kent's sweetie Lois Lane in any version of Superman (Movies and no TV ones, please).

4. Name a volcano that exists on the planet Mars.

5. Something/Anything that bugs you about British PM Tony Blair.

Have fun. See you in two days!

#265625 - Thu May 05 2005 02:23 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Hi all - sorry to play and run (ages ago now!) but I've been busy getting my first two quizzes online. I'd love to know what any of you smart and wonderfully friendly people think!

#265626 - Thu May 05 2005 02:30 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round Three is closed....answers coming in ten minutes

#265627 - Thu May 05 2005 02:44 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

And results!
Thursday 5th May

1. Name something a house painter uses.
For ten points:
Overalls, scraper, bucket, paint brush, drop cloth, Paint, Painter’s Tape (also known as Masking Tape) Sandpaper, Newspaper (either to cover things with or to read!) Turpentine,
For five points:
paint roller (2)
Not mentioned:
Ladder,

2. Name something kids are always in a hurry to do.
For ten points:
Open presents, , learn how to drive, get candy, finish their exams, homework, tell you about their day at school, go outside for recess, finish their dinner, First to get in the car,
For five points:
leave school (3)
Not mentioned:
Grow up!, First in the bathroom,

3. Name something that should be built to last.
For ten points:
Your loved one, deep freeze, tractor, tyres, computers, Cars that go rusty within a year, a bed, a gravestone,
For five points:
House (4),
Not mentioned:
Bridge,

4. Name something annoying on answering machines.
For ten points:
"leave your name and number after the beep...", Pink Panther theme tune, Blank messages, a smart aleck, Kids chatting in background over greeting, Muzak, Having to reset everything when the hydro/power goes out, Long loud music sample, (different than Muzak, which is basically Classical Music), the message itself, a long silence,
For five points:
People who hang up without leaving a message so you spend the rest of the day wondering who it was who called.(2)
Not mentioned:
Singing, jokes,

5. Name me something that people do in the park?
For ten points:
Litter, steal plant cuttings, play cricket, read a book, play football, Feed the geese/ducks/birds, kiss, ride on a Merry Go Round,
For five points:
bird watch (2), Fly a kite (2),
Not mentioned:
Jog/walk, ride bicycle,

COMPETITORS - 12 people

SCORES
Preacher – 50
ElfTwinkle – 45
Exit- 45
Gatsby – 45
Gemini – 45
Littlewoman – 45
Ozzz- 45
Shrivats – 45

Mugaboo - 40
SrSTrekker – 40
Ren –40
Santana – 40

Well done and welcome Preacher

#265628 - Thu May 05 2005 12:28 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
LittleWoman2 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Alabama USA
Round 6:

1. Name a famous two-person screen team that appeared in at least four films (no TV movies allowed).

2. Name a country that borders Poland.

3. Name one of Jacob’s 12 sons in the Bible (they all became the leaders of the 12 tribes of Israel).

4. Name a museum in London found in an alphabetical listing between A-F.

5. Pick a song recorded by Elvis Presley that contains the word "love" in the title.

Good luck! If you have any questions, just send a PM. Results on Sunday.

#265629 - Fri May 06 2005 06:36 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
A suggestion, if I may? Feel free to throw it out as unnecessary, or whatever, it's only an idea of mine.

I have found that the longer I leave a round open the more entrants I get. I was wondering if other players would be willing to leave their rounds open for (for example) a week, before closing. That gives players time to complete several rounds at once, if that suits them, and to submit their answers at their leisure. The host would still only have to post the round once and results once in each fortnightly period.

Personally I can no longer guarantee having the time to play every day, but still wish to participate as much as possible. This way of working the game would work better for me.

Again, I'm only one player and if everyone else is happy with things as they are then that's fine. I will continue to play as and when time permits me.

Edited by Santana2002 (Fri May 06 2005 06:37 AM)

#265630 - Fri May 06 2005 06:51 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Sounds like a good idea...lets see what other people say but I see nothing wrong with the idea!

#265631 - Fri May 06 2005 06:51 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I am only new, but that idea sounds just splendid to me. I cannot see anything against it at all. Next??

#265632 - Fri May 06 2005 07:09 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
At the moment I generally complete two rounds at a time, and when asking my questions, I close the round and say late entries will be accepted for the next few hours.

Invariably I always get about 3-4 extra entries so I have no problem, but the answers still need to get posted fairly early after the close.

#265633 - Fri May 06 2005 07:28 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I don't know how many of you have had to sift through 7 or 17 or 847 responses on these. It's time consuming! But fun. I don't know - I'm thinking that if you run a little late then that's that. No one is going to shoot you in the face if you do. Unless you ask about "Playmates Of The Year", that is, since I learned my lesson there. Yikes! But I think we're OK as it is. Miss a round? Life'll go on. Just my opinion on this one. And, also, Santana - we all adore you! So if you get plugged up no one will flinch a bit.

#265634 - Fri May 06 2005 10:39 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Round 4 is now closed.

#265635 - Fri May 06 2005 08:56 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
I don't know how anybody else 'sifts', and if there is a better way please let me know, but I copy and paste everyone's cells into a word document and generally as they come in if I see a duplication as I scroll through I immediately put a '5' next to it.

Once everyone has a score next to each answer then it is easy to add them up. A simple transposition across to this part of the site and voila.

If anyone has something better please let me know.

#265636 - Fri May 06 2005 10:34 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I'm leaving Round 5 open for most of the day as I've only heard from 5 people so far. You guys are letting me off too easy !

Oh, and Exit10 - I still calculate the answers I get on paper . Just your basic old dinosaur here. But your way sounds much quicker.

#265637 - Fri May 06 2005 10:51 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ChrisSchu Offline
Enthusiast

Round 4 Results
Eight players played this round.

Question 1:
Quote:

Name a word of at least four letters that can be formed from the letters in the word STAPLE.

For 10 points:
Slate, Paste, Pleat, Plates, Pate, Plea, Pastel, Septal

EVERYBODY GETS 10 POINTS!!!

Question 2:
Quote:

Name a Team that has been eliminated from the current season of The Amazing Race.

For 10 points:
Megan & Heidi (2nd to be eliminated), Debbie & Bianca (3rd), Susan & Patrick (4th), Lynn & Alex (7th)

For 5 points:
Meredith & Gretchen (8th) [2]

Not Accepted:
Linda & Karen, Jim & Marsha

Not Mentioned:
Ryan & Chuck (1st), Ray & Deana (5th), Brian & Greg (6th)

Question 3:
Quote:

Name a poker hand that beats two pair.

For 10 points:
Four of a kind, Straight, Three of a kind, a higher 2 pair

For 5 points:
Royal Flush [2], Straight flush [2]

Not Mentioned:
Flush

Question 4:
Quote:

Name a track off of the Gretchen Wilson album Here For the Party.

For 10 points:
"Redneck Woman", "Homewrecker", "What Happened"

For 5 points:
"When It Rains" [4]

Not Accepted:
"You Do Your Thing"

Not mentioned:
"Here for the Party", "When I Think About Cheating", "Holdin' You", "Chariot", "The Bed", "Pocahontas Proud"

Question 5:
Quote:

Name a currently active pricing game from the US version of The Price is Right whose name begins with A, B, or C.

For 10 points:
Bonus Game, Bullseye, Check-out, Cliff Hangers, Clock Game

For 5 points:
Cover Up [2]

Not Accepted:
Bump (it was retired around 1993)

Not Mentioned:
Any Number, Barker's Bargain Bar, Barker's Marker$, Bonkers, Buy or Sell, Card Game, Check Game, Clearance Sale, Coming or Going, Credit Card

Scores:
50: ren33
45: Mugaboo, preacher79
40: ElfTwinkle, gatsby722
30: Santana2002
25: littlewoman2, ozzz2002

CONGRATULATIONS REN33, and thanks for playing!

Edited by ChrisSchu (Sat May 07 2005 02:17 PM)

#265638 - Fri May 06 2005 11:30 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Somebody forgot me on The Scores List. *Gats feels like the poor stepchild now*

#265639 - Sat May 07 2005 12:21 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Awww Gats!! If I wasn't so proud of winning for the first time, I would give you my place....
YEEEEHA!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002