Rules
Terms of Use

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#265740 - Thu Jun 02 2005 04:00 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Alright, round 31 is dwindling down, it'll take me a few hours to compile the results, so late entries are welcome!

#265741 - Thu Jun 02 2005 03:46 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Late, but not forgotton ... (I had guests)

ROUND 23 RESULTS

1) A Flowering Plant of the Arctic Tundra

10 Points: Purple Saxifrage, Arctic Yellow Violet, Eidelweiss, Arrowhead Colts-Foot, Dwarf Willow, Orange Lichen
5 Points: Pasque Flower (2), Arctic Willow (2)

2) Something edible which begins with the letter Q

10 Points: Quatro, Quince, Quandong Jam, Quadrettini, Quince Jam, Quince Jelly, Queen Anne's Lace, Quail, Quamash

3) A type of goldfish

10 Points: Moors, Jikins, Blue Pompom, Pearlscale, Chocolate Oranda, Black Moor, Wakins
5 Points: Lionhead/Ranchu (2)

4) A part of the human gastro-intestinal tract

10 Points: Throat, Exocrine Glands, Lower Esophageal Sphincter, Jejunum, Duodenum, Pylorus, Appendix
5 Points: Mouth (2)

5) A Viking god or goddess

10 Points: Sif, Delling, Hella, Ull, Huldra
5 Points: Freyja (2), Loki (2)

THE SCORES

50 Points: Kuu, Flynn, Mugaboo, ElfTwinkle
45 Points: Littlewoman
40 Points: Cinnam0n, ozzz, Gatsby
30 Points: Exit10

Thank you all for playing, and congratulations to our 4 winners Kuu, Flynn, Mugaboo, ElfTwinkle, who each collect a point for this round.

Edited by Santana2002 (Thu Jun 02 2005 03:48 PM)

#265742 - Fri Jun 03 2005 06:31 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
Round 30 is now closed --- results in a couple of hours.

#265743 - Sat Jun 04 2005 09:43 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Round XXXI - May 31st, 2005...

The Results!

12 people played this round...

Question I: Clint Eastwood was also born on May 31st. Name a feature movie that he directed...
For 10 points: The Bridges of Madison County; Breezy; True Crime; A Perfect World; High Plains Drifter; Firefox
For 5 points: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (2); Play Misty for Me (2); Bird (2)
Not mentioned: The Eiger Sanction; The Outlaw Josey Wales; The Gauntlet; Bronco Billy; Honkytonk Man; Sudden Impact; Pale Rider; Heartbreak Ridge; White Hunter Black Heart; Unforgiven; The Rookie; Absolute Power; Space Cowboys; Mystic River; and his lates award winning Million Dollar Baby.

Question II: On May 31st, 1990, the first episode of "The Seinfeld Chronicles" was aired. Name a character who was on at least 16 episodes...
For 10 points: J. Peterman (Elaine's's boss)
For 5 points: Susan Ross (2); Newman (2); Jerry Seinfeld (2); George Costanza (5);
Not mentioned: George Steinbrenner, Uncle Leo, Elaine, George's Parents, and of course, Kramer!

Question III: Franz Joseph Haydn died on May 31st, 1809. Name a symphony of his that has a name in addition to a number...
For 10 points: 6 Martin; 31 The Hornsignal, 32 Philosopher; 45 Farewell; 48 Maria Theresa; 55 Schoolmaster; 82 The Bear; 83 The Hen; 85 The Queen; 104 London
For 5 points: 92 Oxford (2);
Not Mentioned: A lot, I hadn't realized there were so many!

Question IV: In World War I, the Battle of Jutland was fought on May 31st. Name one of the British ships sunk in this battle...
For 10 points: Defence; Ardent; Queen Mary; Nestor; Turbulent; Black Prince; Sparrowhawk; Shark;
For 5 points: Tipperary (2); Nomad (2)
Not mentioned: Indefatigable; Warrior; Fortune; Although more British ships were sunk and damaged, the Royal Navy was able to fix them quickly and regain sea superiority, whereas the Kriegsmarine ships stayed in port the rest of the war.

Question V: Name what kind of cake I ought to bake for my birthday...
All for 10 points: Bara Brith, Volcano Cake, Pound Cake, Marble Cake, Cheesecake, Ginger Cake, Caramel Cake, Devil's Food Cake, Butter Pecan, Meringue, Chocolate Sponge!
One person forgot to answer...
In fact, I had a great cheesecake, a dried fruit cake, a regular chocolate cake, a three layer chocolate cake (aka: an instant heart attack cake, as it uses eleven eggs in one cake) and a rolada.

Also, everybody who wished me a happy birthday got a bonus point!

The Results:
Our winner: Polaris101 with 46! points...
The rest:
45 points: Exit10, Kuu
41 points: bracklaman, gatsby722
40 points: Mugaboo, cinnamOn, ElfTwinkle, ren33
36 points: ozzz2002, littlewoman2
30 points: Ballykissangel

Thanks to all for playing.
Congratulations to Polaris101.
Have a great week!

Edited by LeoDaVinci (Sat Jun 04 2005 10:31 AM)

#265744 - Sat Jun 04 2005 10:08 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Sorry for the delay --- results for Round 30 will be posted later today.

Edited by ElfTwinkle (Sat Jun 04 2005 03:25 PM)

#265745 - Sat Jun 04 2005 10:32 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

No, I'm 31, you're 30...

#265746 - Sun Jun 05 2005 12:38 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Trivia Rounds - May: Round 30/May 30th RESULTS: 10 players participated

QUESTION 1
Quote:

Name of a movie released BEFORE 2005/this year starring actor James Doohan (Note: movies released in 2005 or later, movies made for TV, and movies that James Doohan was either uncredited or just provided the voice for a character will NOT be accepted)

10 points: Man In The Wilderness, Pretty Maids All In A Row, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Amore, Storybook, Double Trouble

5 points: New York Skyride (2), The Cage (2)

Not Mentioned: There were lots more to chose from --- This site gives a list (Note: this list includes the responses which I specified would not be accepted as well)

QUESTION 2
Quote:

Name of a book in the Belle Palmer Series written by Lou Allin

10 points: Nobody

5 points: Blackflies Are Murder (7), Bush Poodles Are Murder (3)

Not Mentioned: Northern Winters Are Murder, A Little Murder Is a Dangerous Thing (released April 2005)

QUESTION 3
Quote:

Title of a song on the album, My Stompin' Grounds (released in 1972) by Stompin' Tom Connors

10 points: My Stompin' Grounds, Song Of The Irish Moss, Bonnie Belinda, Song Of The Peddler, Tillsonburg, Cross Canada, The Snowmobile Song, Wop May

5 points: Name The Capital (2)

Not mentioned: The Bridge Came Tumblin' Down, Tribute to Wilf Carter, Song of the Cohoe

QUESTION 4
Quote:

The 2005 Mastercard Memorial Cup was played from May 20th to May 29th (The London Knights finished their dream season by winning the Memorial Cup/Canada's Junior Hockey Championship for 2004-05) --- name one of the players who played in at least 1 of the 4 Memorial Cup tournament games for the Memorial cup winning London Knights (Note: there are a handful of players listed on the Knights roster who did not play in any of the Knights games in the Memorial Cup tournament and players who did not play in any of the games will NOT be accepted as correct answers)

10 points: Daniel Girardi, Danny Syvret, Gerald Coleman, Brandon Prust, Trevor Kell, Marc Methot, Bryan Rodney, Adam Dennis

5 points: Corey Perry (2)

Not Mentioned: Danny Fritsche, Robbie Schremp, Dylan Hunter, David Bolland, Drew Larman, Josh Beaulieu, Robbie Drummond, Steve Ferry, Jordan Foreman, Matt McCready, Kelly Thomson

Note: The players who were ineligible as answers to my question but were members of the team: Ryan Martinelli, Adam Perry, Frank Rediker, Harrison Reed, Jeff Whitfield ---The London Knights are owned by the Hunter Family --- their GM is former NHL'er Mark Hunter and they are coached by former NHL'er Dale Hunter.
The London Knights pretty much re-wrote the Canadian Jr, Hockey record books this season, and after winning the Memorial Cup were (deservingly) described as one of the best (if not the best) Canadian junior hockey teams ever --- they started the season with 29 wins and 2 ties before finally losing game 32/their first loss of the season in mid-Dec. (they played the better part of a month missing 5 or 6 of their top players to the Canadian and/or USA World Junior tournament teams. They finished the regular season with 59 wins, 7 losses and 2 ties --- they won their league (OHL) playoffs with 16 wins and 2 losses, and won all 4 of their Memorial Cups games --- overall season record 79 wins, 9 losses and 2 ties.
Look for many of these players to be playing in the NHL in the very near future!

QUESTION 5
Quote:

The bugs are attacking --- give me the name of a place in Canada that has an insect that is NOT a mosquito roadside attraction (There are at least 6) (Note: The mosquito roadside attractions have already been the subject of one of my Trivia Round questions and will NOT be accepted as answers for this round)

10 points: Nobody

5 points: Ogema, Saskatchewan (Ralph The Grasshopper) (3); Falher, Alberta (World's Largest Bee) (3); Wilkie, Saskatchewan (World's Largest Grasshopper) (2); Tisdale, Saskatchewan (World's Largest Honeybee) (2)

Not Mentioned: Everyone avoided the spiders! --- Langley, British Columbia (Spiderweb, with spider) and my personal favourite Kenora, Ontario (Volkswagon Spider)

These are the 6 places that I am aware of --- There may be others as well.

Results

Ballykissangel: 40 points
Kuu: 40 points
ren33: 40 points
santana2002: 40 points

Bracklaman: 35 points
cinnam0n: 35 points
gatsby722: 35 points
Mugaboo: 35 points
ozzz2002: 35points

gemini19: 25 points

Congratulations to Ballykissangel, Kuu, ren, and santana who each collect a point for this round.

Thanks for playing everyone!

#265747 - Sun Jun 05 2005 01:53 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Maybe people avoided the spiders because you asked for 'an insect that is NOT a mosquito' and spiders are arachnids not insects? I know that that is why I didn't pick a spider.

#265748 - Sun Jun 05 2005 04:15 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds *DELETED*
LittleWoman2 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Alabama USA
Post deleted by littlewoman2

#265749 - Sun Jun 05 2005 08:42 PM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

I'd have accepted the spiders as insects due to the fact that the main website I'm using as a reference for my "roadside attractions" questions included them under the heading of Insects.

#265750 - Mon Jun 06 2005 09:00 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
And the leaderboard for May is up!

Elf -12
Cinnam0n = 10
Mugaboo = 9
Santana = 5
Polaris101 = 4
Ren = 4

Brackleman = 3
LittleWoman = 3
Ozzz = 3

Exit10 = 2
Kuu = 2
SpanishLiz = 2

Ballykissangel - 1
Flynn = 1
Gatsby = 1
Mjohn620 = 1
Preacher = 1
Shrivats = 1

Congrats to ElfTwinkle

#265751 - Mon Jun 06 2005 10:34 AM Re: May 2005 Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Quote:

Look for many of these players to be playing in the NHL in the very near future!

If there will be an NHL...

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  ozzz2002