Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#265752 - Sat Apr 30 2005 06:25 PM Expect some ranking changes...
Terry Online   FT-blank
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
FunTrivia has been storing all results of all players since the quiz system was built. The player results database now has over 30 MILLION entries. Needless to say, this is starting to take its toll on performance of the server and space and time used to back that thing up (the index itself is over a gigabyte large).

Sooo... I'm now deleting all quiz scores of all players who have not been seen on FunTrivia for 1.5 years.

Therefore, players who played in 2002 but havent played since will have their records deleted to free up space for new and existing players.

What this means is that ratings that players may have set on quizzes years ago may no longer contribute to your rank. I'm not sure if this will make a huge difference, as older quizzes tend to have been played a lot more times, but it's certainly possible that the deletion of old user ratings may push some quizzes into the unranked category (therefore getting an "average" rank. It also means that the more recent plays of a quiz are more significant to rank.

Terry

#265753 - Sat Apr 30 2005 09:14 PM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Seems a good idea. A 'side-effect' might be to move some poorly written quizzes, having little or no interesting information, further down the ratings.

#265754 - Mon May 02 2005 03:24 PM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Sooo... I'm now deleting all quiz scores of all players who have not been seen on FunTrivia for 1.5 years.

Question for you Terry, if the scores are getting deleted, then why is the particular user's score still what it was but have now played zero quizzes?

#265755 - Tue May 03 2005 07:10 AM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
Terry Online   FT-blank
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
<< Question for you Terry, if the scores are getting deleted, then why is the particular user's score still what it was but have now played zero quizzes? >>

which "particular" user are you referring to??

#265756 - Tue May 03 2005 07:48 AM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
In the Hall of Fame for Gold Players, Terry, there are 8 names in the first 100 players alone who have high scores but have played nil quizzes.

#265757 - Tue May 03 2005 09:00 PM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
features2004 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Asia.
I liked your idea. Will there be changes in both player's rank and quiz's rank?

#265758 - Thu May 05 2005 09:04 AM Re: Expect some ranking changes...
Auszev Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth
Western Australia
Just a thought: Many of the categories have been closed off - why not have a "spring clean" here as well. I do not know if any of the really old (which have questions in them that are outmoded) or quizzes that are not written well are every dropped from the system, but it would help free up these categories. Perhaps they could be sent back to the authors (might not be a popular suggestion though).

Moderator:  agony