Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#265819 - Tue May 03 2005 01:57 AM Rude PMs
onlytrivial Offline
Explorer

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I just recieved a quite rude PM from a new member, and noticed that there was no option to report the abuse. Having never had this situation before, I was wondering what standard procedure is to alert the editors and moderators to warn the person.

I am not offended by the message as I usually ignore such things, but this inappropriate behaviour should be stopped.

#265820 - Tue May 03 2005 03:48 AM Re: Rude PMs
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
To be sure we are talking of the same thing, PMs are in the forums (in which case this thread ought to have been in Feedback, not Ask the Quiz Editors). The messaging system in the quiz part of the site is not known as PMs and all messages there can be read by any editor or administrator, they are not private messages. The PMs can be read by adminstrators but are extremely rarely.

Procedure is the same for both, copy the message to an adminstrator and do not delete it, give details of the sender's name.

Edited by sue943 (Tue May 03 2005 03:49 AM)

#265821 - Tue May 03 2005 06:50 AM Re: Rude PMs
robertm Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA

The same thing happened to me on Sunday, only this was in my FT Mailbox.
Sometimes I wonder, what did I do wrong?

#265822 - Tue May 03 2005 07:49 AM Re: Rude PMs
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Again, please notify an adminstrator with a copy of the message and the name of the sender, do not delete the message. Such things are not tolerated here but we can only deal with them if we have the facts sent to us.

#265823 - Tue May 03 2005 08:27 AM Re: Rude PMs
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Back in mid-April, I had a user do that to me, and I forwarded on a message to gtho4 (you can also send to crisw), and he took care of it. He sent me a response to delete the message, but I had to wait until I got word from him.

#265824 - Tue May 03 2005 09:22 AM Re: Rude PMs
robertm Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA

Sue, I did that on Sunday, just after I received the message (sent that thru the "Help" section).....

#265825 - Fri May 06 2005 05:17 AM Re: Rude PMs
onlytrivial Offline
Explorer

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Sue, I was talking about the message system in Quizzyland, not the forums. Sorry about the confusion, now I realize.

It seems after clicking on this person's profile that it is a new member who joined about a week ago, and has played very few quizzes. It is unfortunate that some people join the site for a few hours to be rude and abuse other members, with no intention of positively contributing.

Perhaps new members who have just joined in the past few days could have their messaging/posting options restricted, to prevent such occurences.

#265826 - Fri May 06 2005 05:36 AM Re: Rude PMs
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I can only repeat what I hve said, the best way of dealing is to send us the information and don't delete the message - we can then deal with it.

#265827 - Tue Jun 28 2005 11:11 AM Re: Rude PMs
emj23 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Shropshire UK
I got a message from someone that went along the lines of 'I just beat your score on the daily quiz, it's because you're English and I'm American and we always beat everyone else, and we saved you in WW2'. It's not exactly offensive, I know, but I thought it was completely unnecessary. I told them to stop sending me messages or I'd report them, and haven't had any since.

#265828 - Tue Jun 28 2005 11:52 AM Re: Rude PMs
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Same instructions, don't delete the message until told. Notify either gtho4 or crisw with details including the correct name of the sender.

Edited to add... If it was a PM in the forums rather than a message on the quiz side of the site then please copy and paste the message too.

Edited by sue943 (Tue Jun 28 2005 11:53 AM)

#265829 - Tue Jun 28 2005 12:42 PM Re: Rude PMs
doc322 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
Quote:

I got a message from someone that went along the lines of 'I just beat your score on the daily quiz, it's because you're English and I'm American and we always beat everyone else, and we saved you in WW2'. It's not exactly offensive, I know, but I thought it was completely unnecessary. I told them to stop sending me messages or I'd report them, and haven't had any since.

Somebody tell Laura that G.W. is posting again.

#265830 - Tue Jun 28 2005 01:44 PM Re: Rude PMs
emj23 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Shropshire UK
Hee hee hee!

#265831 - Sun Jul 03 2005 08:55 AM Re: Rude PMs
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
Quote:

Quote:

...and we saved you in WW2'.

Not only are they rude, they're wrong! How does someone like that get any score on the Daily Quiz anyway?

Moderator:  agony