Rules
Terms of Use

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#267226 - Mon Sep 19 2005 01:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Hang with it David! I thought your Suffering thread was pretty darned good! What is a "self-imposed" car accident, though? Surely you are not doing that on purpose or anything !

My low point of the weekend was that I had what looked liked a massive nosebleed for a while. Painful business, that. I'll skirt details (lucky you all!) but I'm not supposed to be be bleeding there?! Noses, legs, ears, rears and almost everything else, maybe. But not from there. Ask any young man - what is the first place you protect when, as a boy, being attacked? Passing those little blod clots that way was work, for sure. Wore me out for a day. All is good now. I'm also proud that I wasn't scared during that episode. It did hurt a lot, though, but I didn't even whimper much. Just sang along with James Taylor and rode it through (sounds dumb to say).

A few high points: satguru's post and the funny/smart stuff to read around here. Got my trash out this morning (and, believe it or not, I'm absolutely sure the bill is paid this month).

Another low-ish point ---> do you expect someone to invite a blind person to play golf? God, I feel rotten enough. I don't want to miss the ball using a putter on my first drive. So I tend not to golf these days. But I still understand the sport.

Edited by gatsby722 (Mon Sep 19 2005 01:45 AM)

#267227 - Mon Sep 19 2005 10:10 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Self imposed, er, one that was my fault rather than someone else's- especially easy to do when parking. Though it was small compensation, realising I hadn't actually done anything like that for 12 years at least was something.

It was good to hear I was one of your high points Dave, I think that may have been a first for me

#267228 - Mon Sep 19 2005 01:57 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
High: other than the temperature (100°F), I am getting things paid.

Low: It's still hot!

#267229 - Tue Sep 20 2005 07:13 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I just had a phone call from one of the trio appearing in the TV filming I was in that he'd just got a letter saying the videos of it are being sent as soon as they are ready, with the actual showing to follow.

That tells me at last that I can virtually say the programme I've waited since March to hear about is all systems go, and I should now be able to relax and know it hasn't ended up in someone's bin. Maybe I'll get the letter myself tomorrow as well as the 'star' of the show, who was reportedly abducted by aliens, and was shown in the studio reliving all his experiences that came out while I was hypnotising him.

This could be the start of the career I've dreamed of most of my life, and the ten part series was described as 'Investigating the reality behind science fiction', with opinions of experts and stories from experiencers which will then be dramatised. I can't wait!

#267230 - Tue Sep 20 2005 08:06 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Super news, David! We wish you all the best. [ Keep us posted on whether it might hit BBCAmerica one of these days.

#267231 - Tue Sep 20 2005 09:15 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Way to go, David! Yay! So gratifying to see your work/interests come to fruition, as I think I've said before - to Joy, I think, about her storytelling acknowledgement. I just love these achievements when they happen !

#267232 - Wed Sep 21 2005 12:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Great news to hear David

#267233 - Thu Sep 22 2005 04:25 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Oh, man. My friend Mike passed away this afternoon. God, I don't even know what to do. His wife wants to talk to me tonight but I REALLY don't know what to say - so I'll say nothing.
I'm kinda mad that this happened the way it did, but it's over now. I'm sorta mad at her...but we have to get rolling. But, crippled old me, I'll get on the phone. The tears will be non-stop. That's my low point, of course.

#267234 - Thu Sep 22 2005 05:34 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Oh Dave... All you can do is let it out.

Take care my friend.

#267235 - Thu Sep 22 2005 07:58 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Maybe a high point today/tonight? I talked to my friend and one of their daughters tonight. Pretty amazing, really. They just lost their husband and Dad and are being a strong group. All say they are in denial right now but will cry like crazy later. My pleasure [not really pleasure at all, just relief] came in knowing/hearing that the sadness will come huge (after they do the funeral stuff) and they all know my shoulder is right here to cry on. I expect and I want it. Our circle has been broken. So much for that. Our circle can be repaired, it sounds like.

Still wondering why that one guy is worried about our 30th reunion, though. OK. It'll be fun enough. Personally, I can't and won't greet widows/widowers this time. And I want no part of seeing those empty chairs.

Edited by gatsby722 (Thu Sep 22 2005 11:00 PM)

#267236 - Fri Sep 23 2005 08:07 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I'm really really sorry about your friend Dave. But he is out of pain now. Highlight of my day is that my twin nieces 19th birthdays. One has just started university while the other has got a good job. It's lovely to have such a close family

#267237 - Fri Sep 23 2005 09:09 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
My condolences too Gat.
Highpoint of my day hasn't happened yet - I'm off this afternoon to watch my son's first football game. I've no idea how much he'll actually play though!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#267238 - Fri Sep 23 2005 10:11 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Yikes, my high/low of yesterday is non-existant. It sounds weird to say but it's like the whole day didn't really happen so I didn't get a good grip on much of any of it. It all seemed so "regular", the parts I DO remember, which made it even stranger. Talking about 'pretty' coffins (oxymoron), talking to a young woman who kept me assured that her Dad didn't suffer at the end - about that one it's partly funny since I told her Mom that I pretty much thought Jess was a little beast until yesterday; that girl knows how to rally people, thank goodness. But I never knew that before. Mari, the wife, told me Jess was always Mike's favorite (that was a thorn in Mari's paw for a long time because Jess gave them so much trouble along the way). As I spill all my 'stuff' (sorry) yesterday, by and large, didn't happen it seems. I went on some auto-pilot or something. Mike's probably giggling at us somewhere now. "I left behind people who I loved and who loved me. I did good. Deal 'em up, pal, and bring me another beer!" I can almost hear it. Chilly day, Thursday. And thank you all for your condolences and I will get back on a memory track today. Didn't care for yesterday at all and my brain let me slide through it. Today is, as Scarlett O'Hara kinda said, a whole new day. Not that I'm her, mind you .

#267239 - Fri Sep 23 2005 03:24 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

What can I say Dave, but that you were there for them just as you are for us here, and it makes such a difference.

Well, not only did my car return today, but the cost was covered by the insurance! I expected to be out by at least some amount, but there are some honest guys around even in the 21st century with more pride in their work than desire to make a quick buck and damn the customer. If anyone here lived near Stanmore I'd give you his number

#267240 - Fri Sep 23 2005 06:51 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Yikes! I actually have a high point for today! I told my brother (well, actually his wife - but that's close enough, trust me) that I have MS. She had no clue what that was and he won't either. Gosh, I wouldn't have known 5 years ago. So I'll roll with it. Why is the initial assumption when such things get said is that "have you been drinking?"; I'll figure all that out later. But I told them so that's all that matters right now. They can't imagine me in a wheelchair and I can't either. That much we have in conmmon. It might work out okay. Mari wrote tonight. Surprised she had, or took, a moment to do that. Such stuff going on! She's swamped! I did my little bit, though - letting all here know that Mike went. Believe me, you all, you couldn't see a more comical moment than me getting through a phone book [I can't see good]. But I did it finally. All's fine. A good day.

#267241 - Sat Sep 24 2005 02:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Good for you Dave, it is about time that he knew.

#267242 - Sat Sep 24 2005 03:54 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Yikes! Today's starting off just great. My boozed up buddy called and had a rip at me (maybe I called him, I can't really remember; I was just hoping that everyone was notified about everything). Then I get "why do you make people want to hate you so much, Dave?" I'm sorry. I'm just the messenger. Mike died and I didn't do it. I did get off on a bent when he used the "N" word. I don't and won't use that word. All right, Mike's step-Dad was a black fellow. The best guy to show up in his turbulent childhood. You want to call someone a "nigger" (argh, I can't believe I said it) you'd better go down the street because this address doesn't use that word. Then he got onto Puerto Ricans. And Mexicans. He was starting to go after the Irish - that was enough for me! All of it. I don't know why he was our friend to begin with. We don't do bigots too good around here. Strange that I'm the one called "making people hateful". Yeah, you bet your butt I am, then. Couldn't wait to hang up. Still didn't get to any of the funeral stuff. Hell, who cares? The Mexicans are invading. Such crap I've never heard before. And, yeah Sue. I'm glad I told my family about this. The runner stumbles! What to do now? I'm kinda at their mercy. I tell ya, it can't get any better than this. *Gatsby grumbles*

#267243 - Sat Sep 24 2005 04:05 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
They might get all protective on you Dave, being extra nice and wanting to do things for you.

#267244 - Sat Sep 24 2005 12:00 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I saw my cardiologist this afternoon which provided me with both a high and a low. Firstly he is gorgeous, real eye candy, pity he is too young for me plus married with four children.

The high - I can stop taking a particularly 'nasty' drug, the one which means I cannot tolerate direct sunlight (you could turn slate grey and it is not reversable apparently) nor must I drink alcohol, it also has other very nasty problems associated with taking it, too many to mention and very frightening.

The low - I asked about my kidney stones (the start of my troubles), the cardiac surgeon said not for threee months so I said to the cardiologist that I thought I might leave them until the new year. Ah, not a good idea, he thinks I should have them done as soon as the three months is up, like any time from now. He thinks I ought not go back to work until after they have been sorted out and I had hoped to return to work in two weeks time. All the time I have them I am at risk of them causing an infection and such an infection would be 'very serious' for me, in other words potentially fatal!

Ah well, it looks as if I will be going into hospital again shortly. I will telephone the urologist on Monday to get the ball rolling, I will need intravenous antibiotics before and after plus probably changing from warfarin to heparin prior to surgery, then changing back afterwards. Sheesh.

#267245 - Sat Sep 24 2005 02:48 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Oh, Sue! Terrible business, indeed. You gotta trust the docs (even the hunks, I reckon ), though. I'm trying to learn that. When you get it, teach me, OK? I have a feeling you'll be nicer than I have come to be on such things. You can't be more less alone, though. You're loved in an amazing way...

I'll address Gatsby-land for a second. I'm not liking this much at all. I'm doing what I'm supposed to now and raking up all these old friends - that's fine. I wish they all wouldn't tell me what I used to be. If I hear one more time that "You sound fine but I hear you're not doing so well" I'll just plain puke. We have a friend's funeral tomorrow. My age-old prowess on the tennis court is gone now and really doesn't matter. All I was trying to do was alert them to Mike's death. And I'd take any one of them on the tennis bit, even now. They're pretty bad, or at least they were. I'm sure the MS poster people would have a nice fit about me. Doesn't matter how much you can run with such players. Just stand there and return the serve. A foot above their head you got 'em - they can't return a lobby like that. But today was not supposed to be about such things. Today was supposed to be about the dead. I think I did okay. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

#267246 - Sat Sep 24 2005 08:13 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Sometimes I feel totally inadequate to find words to express my feelings...this is one of those times.
Sue and Gats I am so sorry, and hope that things improve soon for both of you.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#267247 - Sun Sep 25 2005 04:17 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I'm going to write (I'll probably regret it) - but I've been so "around", especially lately, and I trust you folks and know that most of you don't see me as a general kook , especially not for saying this this morning. And I am kinda an idiot but not about this. I just don't understand this well enough to talk about it sensibly - yet I'll try. I'm out of time. Don't ask me how but I just know it. You all know that I've been struggling for a long time. Every day on the most basic of levels was a challenge. Some days it felt like a game to me. "You want to put an obstacle in my path? Make it two or three...then we'll go." Something switched on Saturday and I can't rationally define it. I tried to. I figured it was just a reaction to my friend's dying and the ensuing trips down memory lane, etc. But it's not about that somehow. I wish I had a sensibility like sat's because I usually think in the box where solutions dwell. Not out of it where mystery happens. And this is a mystery for sure. I certainly knew that I was a terminal case but all this clarity as it ends is both baffling and almost interesting. I've had many a doubt as I fought the good fight...probably goes back to those obstacles. There were times I just couldn't master them. But yesterday it was this overwhelming feeling that I'm not in the shadow of the mountain anymore. I'm atop the mountain. God, that sounds nuts - but I can't say it more honestly

You all know how much I care about you and this place. And I didn't want to just disappear without saying something.

And, believe me, the one most shocked that I could share that is me.

#267248 - Sun Sep 25 2005 11:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

All I can say Dave, is that we are all thinking of you

#267249 - Sun Sep 25 2005 11:38 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
We are all here for you Dave, then you know that. Take care my friend.

#267250 - Sun Sep 25 2005 02:37 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Just so you know I'm with you, whatever happens ahead.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943