Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#266976 - Wed May 18 2005 01:12 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
beee Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Karlsruhe Germany
yeah, Well done Shrivats and Kaushik

There are no highs or lows in my life at the moment. There are just days that seem to go on forever.

I have 15 days left at uni, and right now I just want it to be over already!
Oh, and I'm sick of hearing about my sister's wedding. Yes it's great, yes I'm happy for her... but why does nobody in my family seem to understand that right now I'm more concerned about my exams than I am about when I'm going to buy a dress?!

#266977 - Fri May 20 2005 06:29 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
The low point of my day is waking up with a nasty headcold. (and just after congratulating myself that I hadn't been ill for quite a while )

I don't even feel well enough to sit at the 'puter and play the chain games! sniffle, sniffle

I might just curl up in a blanket and rest in my recliner. Both kids are home....can't go back to bed. Boy, do I feel sorry for myself!!
Wahhhh.

I must perk up some before hubby gets home though. It wouldn't do to let him see me being a bigger baby about a head cold than he is.

#266978 - Fri May 20 2005 07:00 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Lay it on with jam for the old man, let him think you are near to death! If you put on a brave face he will only be more convinced that you are never a ill as him!

#266979 - Fri May 20 2005 07:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Why is it that women get a cold, men have raging flu? Women have an upset stomach, men have gastroenteritis? Women have a cough, men have acute bronchitis? Why is this?

#266980 - Fri May 20 2005 09:47 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
ren, the answer is simple there! We want mothering! You girls were taught to just take ailments (and prepare for childbirth, etc.). We little guys were just told how to play with Tonka Trucks, Mama there to make sure we didn't break anything. Not a bit of fairness in it gender-wise. I'm the biggest wimp in the world when I don't feel well. Thus, I whimper. The realities of life hit somewhat late. At least for we males, personally speaking.

Edited by gatsby722 (Fri May 20 2005 10:01 AM)

#266981 - Fri May 20 2005 10:16 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Most of what Gats just said is true, Ren. I would take it a step further though, because I really believe conditioning is only part of it. There are certain differences in the way men and women proccess information...It's been proven that women can 'multi -task' better than men can. [I bet that includes emotional responses, too.] This is one of those things that has just never bothered me, I guess. Men are better at some things and women are better at others. A fact of life!

#266982 - Fri May 20 2005 12:47 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ericaC Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota / Iowa USA
I have to say, milking sickness for all it's worth is not merely a male trait. My mom and sister are the biggest babies when it comes to being ill, and my dad stoically carries on. I love taking care of my sick family while feeling perfectly fine myself, but unfortunately I have been having reaqlly bad headaches lately- that would be my low. On the plus side, I just finished a huge group project for class, and I can skate through the rest of the term!

#266983 - Mon May 23 2005 02:12 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
beee Offline
Forum Adept

The low point of today is that I have a German Culture exam in the morning and I don't know anything Been trying to revise all day but having a huge headache is making it difficult.

There is no high, and there won't be til after my last exam is over on thursday afternoon.

#266984 - Tue May 24 2005 12:10 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JoyJoyJoy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Bee, Have patience with your test...I know it can be stressful. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Jane, you beat me to the punch here. It's nice this thread is still here. Can you believe it's been a year since I started it? It was a really hard year for me. I am so relieved my semester is over. I have one more year of school before I graduate. That seems like a lifetime away. But look how fast this year went...

My low today/week/ month is not having a job and still trying to figure out if I will be able to pay for next year. I turn one corner and smack! There is another one right there, with a do not pass sign!

My high is being told by a daycare in town that they are accepting applications. Now, cross my fingers...and hope I am employed by next week.

I'm going to say good afternoon, got to run. Have a great night (or morning or afternoon...depending where you are ) all!

Joy

#266985 - Tue May 24 2005 12:15 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
Just did my German synoptic, also on German culture. That didn't go too badly, but I thoroughly screwed up my Listening and Reading papers. Looks like a big fat U, then.

There's my low point.

#266986 - Tue May 24 2005 12:22 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
beee Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you JoyJoyJoy.

Well, the highpoint of today is that the exam didn't go as badly as I expected it to, and I also got my essay back for that module today. I got 61% (that is good, honest!)

Low point: My head hurts... a lot! I had to have a nap earlier cos my headache was preventing me from studying. It went away for a while after that, but now it's back with a vengeance. Ouch, it hurts. The other low point is that I don't have a job for the summer yet, and it's beginning to look like I will have to go back to the one I had the year before last. I don't want to go back there, but I really need the money.

#266987 - Tue May 24 2005 07:04 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Today's high was after not picking up a golf club for 3 years (mainly due to very frequent rain and flooded courses for days afterwards) I found a practice green and finally got used to doing chip shots and bunker shots (with expert tuition), which I could never previously handle. I'll never be a serious player but it'll be nice to actually know what to do now once I'm near the green.

#266988 - Tue May 24 2005 09:00 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

That's great, David! I've always wanted to try playing golf but the opportunity never really presented itself. You may have discovered a whole social outlet for yourself.[ Not to mention the physical workout!]

#266989 - Tue May 24 2005 09:06 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

I tried golf once. I was so horrible at it that my husband had the audacity to ask me if I wanted quit and see if I could get a refund on my money.

#266990 - Wed May 25 2005 10:04 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Today's high (though it's only 6 pm, anything could still happen!)was I managed to have tea in the garden for the first time this year. The weather's hot and sunny at last and I spent half the day cutting the grass and all the weeds (a foot high in places) and there's now not a really rough patch in sight.

#266991 - Fri May 27 2005 05:54 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Another high (three in a row, I'm doing well!)- last night after finding the site down I had another look around the archives and found I had managed to post a trivia fact in the trivia archive after all. It was removed in late 2002 and I'm pleased I did get at least one entry on it while it was there. As you can't get there directly, here it is.

Company names formed from contractions, for instance, Amstrad is made up from the words A-lan M-ichael S-ugar Trad-ing. These are a very common method of name formation. A few more examples of contractions: Tesco= T.E. Stockwell, Cohen Glynwed=Glynn, Wednesbury, DanAir=Davis & Newman Airlines. [Source: Directory of trade name origins by Adrian Room]
David Howard from Kingsbury, London, England (18 February 2000)

Here's the whole page newest fun facts

#266992 - Fri May 27 2005 08:09 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
My little highlight of the week...Funtrivia back working!

#266993 - Sun May 29 2005 05:19 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Second that one, Jane. That was the longest 15 hours of my recent life! I kept picturing people pulling out their hair for half a day trying to fix it. My hearty thanks to those who did.

High point of the day is easy. A few hours on the phone last night/early morning. With Kate. I have to say: if no one realizes the gold mine there is not at all paying attention. And I don't say that in a biased way. The combination of smart and kind is rare, and I can't get enough of it. Several of you out there are the two as well, of course, but I'll champion ktstew 'til the end. Believe it or not, it's funny for me to say that. I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Low point of the day: Everything seemed to be slipping away yesterday. Strangely, it almost felt like a warm rinse in the bathtub. It just made me feel peaceful (as opposed to the general panic that visits). It's like downshifting - finding that lower gear. If that makes any sense. And then that Communism Thread shows up on my breakfast FT. I choked on my coffee!

#266994 - Sun May 29 2005 07:02 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Isn't he sweet? I am as filled with faults as an old shoe, everybody!

I guess that's just Dave for you, though.

#266995 - Mon May 30 2005 06:19 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

My low of the day was getting up to another grey, rainy day. This make it 27 days straight without a glimpse of sunshine. I try to keep an optimistic outlook, but that optimisim kind of fades after a while. It's amazing how the weather can affect ones mood.

It doesn't help that I have a sinus infection and my youngest son has both ears infected. (all that rain...we are turning moldy) Add to the mix a cat that is in heat, howling day and night, and you can imagine what my world has been like of late.

Anyone want to take in an ill, soggy, dis-heartened Maritimer for a few weeks? Preferably in a warm, sunny environment where I can dry out.

On the bright side, they are calling for 'periods of sun' later in the week. We can only hope.

#266996 - Mon May 30 2005 06:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
If you can get a cheap flight you are very welcome to my spare room for a bit of a break. It is nice and warm (about 25-28C) here and only a few showers that actually cool things down nicely. It is very peaceful , with the mountains all around, Mainland China just up the road, and our cats don't do that sort of thing. You are very welcome! I don't know how I would cope with all that cold and wind and rain!

#266997 - Mon May 30 2005 07:04 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

It's hot and sunny here, too, Bally. The only problem is, in another two weeks the contractors will be here to knock out the back of my house and build an addition. Your room would be a little on the breezy side for a while.[ I hope dust and the sound of hammering day and night doesn't bother you...]Plus having someone new in the house would be of extreme interest to all the cats...you would no doubt wake up each morning to find them sitting on your bed in a circle, observing you with a level green stare, waiting, wondering if you have access to the cat food.

But at least you'd be dry, for a change!

Edited by ktstew (Mon May 30 2005 07:09 AM)

#266998 - Mon May 30 2005 07:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Ren, that sounds heavenly! I'll have to check on flight rates and schedules Could we do some shopping?

Kate, thanks for the invite. I'll think I'll put off my visit to you until renos are all done, although listening to hammering would be a blessed respite after listening to that cat day and night! (I'm thinking the dust might not be good for the sinus infection though.)

#266999 - Mon May 30 2005 02:54 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
High of the day? People keep having birthdays - and that makes an old goat like me very happy to see. I still remember what a good birthday was like. So I'll sneak in a "Happy Birthday, Leo"! Blow out your candles, or whatever people of your faith do on anniversaries, and know this one thing (maybe two): you'll never be as smart as you think you are AND you'll never be worse than you can instinctively be good. Blue skies ahead! Happy Birthday! You'll irritate the s--t out of people in your life as it goes (I almost count on that!). No doubt about it. But they'll notice you, my friend. That's your runway.

No low point over here in Ohio. Summer is here, thank God! Time to bask in it. What a long winter!

#267000 - Tue May 31 2005 06:49 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Definitely a low. I have just come home from seeing my doctor about some chest x-rays I had the other week. Apparently I could have TB. Great, I am due to have an angiogram next Wednesday, heaven only knows if they will touch me now!

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943