Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#268876 - Tue Jun 07 2005 05:02 AM About a quiz i have submitted -
tnrees Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Taunton Somerset UK       
Sorry if this is not the right place
At the end of April I posted a general quiz. On 23rd May i got a reply, I made some amendments on 24th or 25th & have heard nothing since.
I think the queue was 35 days max when I posted but it is lower now.
Sorry again if this is the wrong place.

Edited by tnrees (Tue Jun 07 2005 08:06 AM)

#268877 - Tue Jun 07 2005 09:59 AM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
It depends on a few things. Which category, wether the eidot is actually online very often or not, and how long the queue is ahead of you.

It can also depends on how much the editor likes you, too. No matter how much they say it doesn't...

#268878 - Tue Jun 07 2005 10:10 AM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
gemini19 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada      
Quote:

It can also depends on how much the editor likes you, too. No matter how much they say it doesn't...

I think that's a little unfair, Flynn.

#268879 - Tue Jun 07 2005 12:12 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Although we try very hard not to let personal likes and dislikes influence our editing, there are certain things which will affect how soon your quiz gets looked at. If you have a history of submitting poorly written, badly researched quizzes, and then being reluctant to respond to editors' requests, then it will indeed take longer for your quizzes to go online. If I have sent a quiz back to the author with a request that the spelling be checked, and the quiz is resubmitted with three spelling errors just in the introduction, well, I'm not going to knock myself out rushing to edit it.
I think my editing style is similar to that of many of the editors: I will get a good long period (three or four hours) at the computer maybe once a week. Then, I am able to check in for fifteen minutes or so once or twice a day. In my long editing session, I will look at as many new quizzes as possible. Then, throughout the following week, I'll check as they are resubmitted. If I only have a few minutes, I will be more likely to take care of a quiz that had just one small problem, then to get into a long session with a quiz that got an eight inch long rejection note. If I see that you haven't bothered to do something that you were asked, I'm afraid that you go to the bottom of my priority list. Eventually though, I will get to all quizzes that I have been working on.
Another thing to check, tnrees. Make sure that you have actually resubmitted the quiz. It's not unusual for editors to get notes from unhappy authors asking "Why haven't you looked at my quiz?" only to find that it has not been resubmitted, and is not in the queue.
Hope this helps, agony (Funtrivia editor)

#268880 - Tue Jun 07 2005 05:59 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
tnrees,
Sometimes editors aren't able to get to their computers as quickly as they would like to be able but I am sure they wouldn't have forgotten about you.

Cheers
Exit10
Editor

#268881 - Tue Jun 07 2005 06:16 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

I think I would be careful about remarks like this. It is I am sure, untrue, and bordering on the insulting..
As is constantly pointed out, Editors, Administrators and Moderators work here for free, they give up their own free time. I do not consider it appropriate to insult them.

#268882 - Tue Jun 07 2005 06:37 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
I agree with you 100% Ren.
It is a tough job and all the volunteers need to be commended for their hard work and integrity and non biased approach to their work.
To insult them is unkind and unfair.
PF

#268883 - Tue Jun 07 2005 07:34 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Yikes. That was a 'stab', Flynn. Not a nice thing. I was an editor for a short time - and it's not remotely easy. I always took the queue list in order as I got going. It was the topics that put this particular me in a sweat - NEVER the author (until I had to write to them, of course). I never really had time to think about who I "liked" or who I didn't. And I suspect the current editors don't, either. Like I mentioned before to you, Flynn (and some others), it is not always about how you feel or even what you meant to offer. It's how it is read by others. Just my penny.

#268884 - Tue Jun 07 2005 09:04 PM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Quote:

I think I would be careful about remarks like this. It is I am sure, untrue, and bordering on the insulting..
As is constantly pointed out, Editors, Administrators and Moderators work here for free, they give up their own free time. I do not consider it appropriate to insult them.

I am also not an editor, but I am posting results of a tipping comp (which I enjoy doing), and with an 83½ hour workweek last week (no exaggerations!), it is quite hard to find time. I, like gatsby and ren, find that to be an insult to the staff of FT.

#268885 - Wed Jun 08 2005 12:37 AM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
Exit10 Offline

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Quote:

Sorry if this is not the right place
At the end of April I posted a general quiz. On 23rd May i got a reply, I made some amendments on 24th or 25th & have heard nothing since.
I think the queue was 35 days max when I posted but it is lower now.
Sorry again if this is the wrong place.

tn
If you check your messages and the newest quizzes online you will find quite a pleasant surprise. I believe it may have slipped through the cracks as some quizzes do, but no real harm has been done.

There doesn't seem to be anything else to be added to this thread.

Thanks
Exit10
Editor

#268886 - Wed Jun 08 2005 01:51 AM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
<There doesn't seem to be anything else to be added to this thread>
No, except for maybe an apology to the editors for an uncalled for remark.

#268887 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:06 AM Re: About a quiz i have submitted -
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I agree, Ren. That comment was out of line. The editors, administrators and moderators here don't get paid. We do what we do because we like it here. I've never, in my four years here, run into an editor with a personal grudge. I think by now, I've worked with just about every editor here and they've all approached their job in a professional manner.

Moderator:  agony