Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#271927 - Sat Jul 16 2005 06:58 AM Quiz Times
apathy100 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ontario Canada
I am just curious? I have noticed that when you write a quiz, the quiz notes give you a time that you made the quiz and a time that the quiz was submitted for editing. I was just wondering if the editors consider these times when editing them?

For example, I have a quiz that was created at 6:40 PM and submitted at 9:31 PM that same night. I had spend plenty of time doing rough drafts on paper and in Microsoft, so I was just wondering if you take these times into consideration at all. It usually takes me a few days to devise a quiz on paper. I am a fast typer and therefore it doesn't take long to type and submit them. It takes about 3 hours because I check for mistakes. Just a thought I was wondering about.

apathy100

--Nelson Mandela--

#271928 - Sat Jul 16 2005 07:13 AM Re: Quiz Times
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Speaking for myself, I don't often look at this. If I am editing a really horrendous quiz, I may go back and look at the times "Yep, 23 minutes from start to finish", but mostly it doesn't figure in.
A lot of our best authors write their quizzes in something like WordPerfect, in order to access the spellcheck. (Anyone reading this who has spelling issues, please note).
So, no, don't worry about this. We usually only look at the times in order to confirm our own worst fears.

#271929 - Sat Jul 16 2005 07:45 AM Re: Quiz Times
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I do glance at the times, but like agony, I know that many authors compose their quizzes in a word processing program first, so I don't give the 'creation' time much weight.

As agony says, a very poor quiz (often a first quiz) will cause me to take a look at the time. A very quick resubmission after a quiz is sent back for corrections will also ring some alarm bells.

#271930 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:42 PM Re: Quiz Times
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
As the other two editors said, we don't really look at how much time it took someone to write the quiz and then submit unless the quiz is truly awful so we absolutely KNOW the quiz only took the perosn 5 minutes and it looks that way! So if the quiz is poorly written, I might say something like "the quiz seems to have only taken you 5 minutes to write. You should take your time in such things, don't rush..."

Edited by ladymacb29 (Sat Jul 16 2005 12:43 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#271931 - Sat Jul 16 2005 04:04 PM Re: Quiz Times
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I add my voice to the choir here, I only take a rare look when the quiz is so horrenduous that we can safely rule out a Word processor cutting and pasting session, and want to know, how much time did this person actually spend typing this in?

I'd say that fact you took your time is saying something better about your work.
I would be anxious on my old pc at leaving it up that long without frequent saves.

Bruyere, Funtrivia editor

#271932 - Sun Jul 17 2005 04:33 AM Re: Quiz Times
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
I look at those times mostly when quizzes are resubmitted after a rejection note. If I've asked for a whole lot of corrections and the quiz maker resubmits the quiz one or two minutes after I've rejected it, it's usually safe to say that they won't have made (m)any corrections. I'd find that out by reviewing the quiz anyway, but this way I'll know what to expect.

Leau, editor

#271933 - Sun Jul 17 2005 11:21 AM Re: Quiz Times
rj211 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Los Angeles
California USA
Quote:

I look at those times mostly when quizzes are resubmitted after a rejection note. If I've asked for a whole lot of corrections and the quiz maker resubmits the quiz one or two minutes after I've rejected it, it's usually safe to say that they won't have made (m)any corrections.

Exactly!
rj211, editor

#271934 - Sun Jul 17 2005 02:10 PM Re: Quiz Times
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Quote:

I look at those times mostly when quizzes are resubmitted after a rejection note. If I've asked for a whole lot of corrections and the quiz maker resubmits the quiz one or two minutes after I've rejected it, it's usually safe to say that they won't have made (m)any corrections.

...especially if they were told to read the guidelines!

Editor for Television Category

#271935 - Sun Jul 17 2005 10:08 PM Re: Quiz Times
silverginger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: St. Meinrad Indiana USA      
Agreed with what my co-editors have already stated. Quite often, a quiz author will resubmit in the hope that another editor will take it onboard, not realising that we do know why a quiz was previously rejected. The idea of doing that doesn't, and won't work.

We do know why a quiz was rejected, and we do know the details of why.

SG (Editor)

Moderator:  agony