Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275335 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:04 AM Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Loc: NYC
Hi, all. A dear friend recommended this forum to me after we both grew extremely tired of posting on "neighborhood" message boards that were in the poorest taste possible. I see a lot of people here seem to love cats. I have five of my own--all rescues--and they are the loves of my life...Jerry-Berry, Dion-Smokey, Nofio, Cristina (a "dumped" Russian Blue) and Pasqualina of Arthur Avenue. Each has his or her own heartbreaking story, but with a happy ending. I am SO glad to finally be part of a forum where people act like decent human beings, and do not look to drag others down! Thanks, and I look forward to making new friends, and having some intelligent conversations for a change.

"Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece." ~ Leonardo daVinci

#275336 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:18 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Welcome to our forums Paula, it is great to have you with us.

Thank you for your comments regarding Funtrivia, it is good to know that our efforts in ensuring this site is kept friendly is appreciated. Stay around and you will soon get to know us, I am sure you will fit in just fine.

I don't know if you have read any threads in "The World Around Us", there is a good one on rescued cats started by DakotaNorth entitled The Diary of Orphan Kittens

#275337 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:20 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
Hi Paula, and greetings to you too! Hope you will be happy here. I have two cats(both rescues too). I know many other members have, so there will be plenty for you to talk about. Welcome.

#275338 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:21 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Sinned2471 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jersey City
New†Jersey†USA
Welcome Paula,
I'm glad to see you here.

#275339 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:21 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Sue! I will definitely read the thread you mentioned. By the way, I've receive one personal message, but do not know how to open it. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

#275340 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:24 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Of course but don't be surprised if it isn't there! The Inbox always shows one when there isn't for new members, we haven't found out how to fix the bug! Just click on that flashing envelope and your inbox will be shown.

#275341 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:26 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Wow! I think I've found a home! Thank you all so much for the warm words of welcome. (Ren, I love your signature line...hahaha!! Most days, after applying makeup, I feel more like "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" than anything else! You live in Hong Kong?? That must be one amazing experience. Are you originally from there, or another country?)

Thanks, "Sinned"...I change my mind pretty quickly don't I? LOLOL!

#275342 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:28 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Quote:

Of course but don't be surprised if it isn't there! The Inbox always shows one when there isn't for new members, we haven't found out how to fix the bug! Just click on that flashing envelope and your inbox will be shown.

Thanks, Sue, but what flashing envelope? I don't see anything that resembles that!

(I love your signature line, too. I've no doubt that cats could do better on some message boards than people!)

#275343 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:30 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Top left of the screen, right next to "My Home", the envelope will flash to the right of it. I will send you a PM so that you can see what I mean.

Edited by sue943 (Sun Aug 21 2005 11:35 AM)

#275344 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:42 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
ren33 Offline

Quote:

You live in Hong Kong?? That must be one amazing experience. Are you originally from there, or another country?)

I am English, from Cornwall, but have been having this ' amazing experience' for nearly 30 years!

#275345 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:44 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Hi Paula, welcome to Funtrivia! Have a look around and I'm sure you'll find something that sparks your interest. Happy posting!

By the way, how did you know that you had a personal message if it weren't for the flashing envelope?

#275346 - Sun Aug 21 2005 01:12 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

I am English, from Cornwall, but have been having this ' amazing experience' for nearly 30 years!

My favorite people, and one of my favorite places! When I was a young teenager, I read a book about Cornwall, and although I've never been there, fell in love with it. Do you prefer Hong Kong over England, Ren? Has it changed much since the Chinese took it back? And what about the intended invasion of Taiwan? This world is getting scarier by the day... Will that pose any problems for the residents of Hong Kong? (Sorry if I sound nosy, but I'm just very curious about other parts of the world...)

Edited by Paula (Sun Aug 21 2005 01:13 PM)

#275347 - Sun Aug 21 2005 01:15 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Quote:

Hi Paula, welcome to Funtrivia! Have a look around and I'm sure you'll find something that sparks your interest. Happy posting!

By the way, how did you know that you had a personal message if it weren't for the flashing envelope?

Good catch, Leau! I'm so busy acquainting myself with all the different features of this board, I can't remember how I knew there was a personal message...but definitely no flashing envelope!

#275348 - Sun Aug 21 2005 01:34 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
At a guess I would say you probably looked in My Home and saw that there was one unread message, the bug!

#275349 - Sun Aug 21 2005 03:40 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong is a bit warmer, I can't stand the cold. I still love England and visit when I can. Hong Kong has changed in many ways for the better I think. No more brash colonial snobby Brits! People are more likely to accept me, therefore, for what I am, a local working person.
Taiwan affairs don't affect us that much . We are too busy working and making money.
No , I don't find you nosey!

#275350 - Sun Aug 21 2005 04:18 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC†Canada
Welcome Paula.

I am sure it won't take you long to get addicted to this place.
Be prepared to have fun, learn fasinating things,informative facts and meet people from all over the world.

There have been many Fun Trivia members who have formed strong friendships that have lasted yrs and quite a few of us have met and have had wonderful times and stories and pictures to share with the rest of the community.

We also have a Scrapbook if you would like to add your picture to it.
It is located in the Fun Trivia Lounge and all the information is there on how to visit the book and if you like how to send a picture to put in it.

This is a very unusal message board in that it is more like a huge, huge closely knit group of people who will be there if you need help with a trivia fact, need to laugh if you are blue ,will be there if you need Moral support, and will cheer for you if you need that also.

Next to Disney World this is one of the Happiest places on Earth.
Enjoy and have fun.

Purple Fan

#275351 - Sun Aug 21 2005 04:30 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Hello, Paula. Always good to see another cat person around the place...enjoy perusing the forums this evening!

#275352 - Sun Aug 21 2005 05:53 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England†UK††††
Hello, Paula.

If youíre a lover of cats and Cornwall, youíre doubly welcome (Iím Cornish by descent, though Iíve never lived there).

I hope you enjoy looking through the forums.

#275353 - Sun Aug 21 2005 07:53 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Chris1013 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SW London
England†UK
A big welcome from me as well.
Our cat was a stray too. I'm pretty sure I posted his story in the thread that was mentioned earlier..
From reading your posts it seems like you fit in this place perfect.
Hope you'll have a great time.
Chris.

#275354 - Sun Aug 21 2005 08:34 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Paula Offline
Participant

Well, I must say I've never been greeted this warmly even by my own family (except, of course, by my cats.) So, thank you, again, one and all. Ren, that's so interesting about "brash colonial snobby Brits." I've always loved the British, but I guess every country's natives are viewed differently in other parts of the world. With what's going on in Iraq and elsewhere, I dread to think what many may think of Americans these days. Purple, I've never been to Disney World, but I once visited Disneyland back in 1970. (Wish I could live there...) This is SO great, communicating with people all over the world! One day, and I've already heard from Canada, England, Hong Kong, AUSTRALIA...too cool! I'm sure I'm going to love it here as I get to know all of you better. And I will post some photos in the Fun Trivia Scrapbook, IF I can figure out how to do it (not to date myself, but you're looking at a person who learned how to type on a MANUAL typewriter, so I'm not that computer-savvy.) Anyway, it's soon time for bed (after just watching a scary ghost movie on TV) so I shall bid you all a good night (or morning, wherever you may be reading this) and, with God's blessing, see you tomorrow!
P.S. I love ALL animals, not just my beautiful felines. If I could, I'd have elephants, giraffes, cows, moose, dogs, more cats, Koala bears...anything and everything from the beautiful land of animals.

"Forget love--I'd rather fall in chocolate!" HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's a great line, Chris! Couldn't agree more...

#275355 - Sun Aug 21 2005 11:43 PM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio†USA††††
Let me just jump on The Bandwagon a give you a hearty "Welcome, aboard! ". And, no worries about the manual typewriters. There are several here who grew up on those; I sure did. Heck, I remember when [at 15] we weren't allowed to use calculators in school. Now they come out of second grade computer wizards . But you really will find that we all help each other around here. I'm glad you're here - in fact I almost want to ask "Where have you been?" But I won't. Just happy you're here now. Enjoy and be enjoyed.

#275356 - Mon Aug 22 2005 12:24 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
A warm welcome from me too!

#275357 - Mon Aug 22 2005 02:41 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC†Canada
Hi Paula,
I forgot to add that I am also a cat person and have two cats.

In regards to putting your photo in the scrapbook ,MollyGrue is the one in charge of that and you will find all the info on how to send her a picture so she can put it in the book when you click on the link in the Lounge.
Have fun.
PF

#275358 - Mon Aug 22 2005 03:58 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Seems like everyone has said all that needs to be said so I'll just say a big hellooooo and welcome.

#275359 - Mon Aug 22 2005 05:15 AM Re: Greetings from New York City!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova†Scotia†Canada††††
I will echo Copago's sentiments!

Hello and welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  cinnam0n