Rules
Terms of Use

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#280883 - Tue Nov 22 2005 06:50 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Oh Sue that is so scary. However, early treatment is the key, and if she's been having her check-ups regularly, she should be fine.
I had cervical dysplasia (precancerous cell growth) when I was 23. I had laser surgey, 6 months of intensive monitoring (not treatment), and have been fine ever since.
I even went on and had 2 children, and the only concern there was whether or not my cervix could fully dilate (it did) or whether I needed to have a C section.
Thinking of you though, it is a scary time.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280884 - Tue Nov 22 2005 07:07 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
That is awful news, Sue, but like Skunkee, my sister had pre-cancerous cells removed at around age 22, and she is now 63 -still going like a freight train.
Stay calm as best you can...wait for the reports. I know it's hard, and you've already been through so much.

#280885 - Tue Nov 22 2005 10:35 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Oh Sue, I've got my fingers crossed, both for you and daughter. We're all thinking of you.

#280886 - Tue Nov 22 2005 08:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Absolutely thinking of you both Sue, hope they have caught it early, if there is indeed anything to catch.

And making tea for people (other than my parents, of course ) sounds highly exciting to me right now!

I'm having a day off today, hoping to do absolutely nothing of consequence at all...bliss.

#280887 - Wed Nov 23 2005 07:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Really sorry to hear your news Sue, it's just been one thing after another.

Mine is a combined high and low, as you'll see. I have a mission, thanks to Friends Reunited, to find as many of the people I knew from school and that time as I can. I mentioned a few on my blog, including one called Amarylla which is a pretty unusual name. A few weeks later I got an email saying 'I wonder if it's the same one I knew and also fell in love with?'. He gave me a couple of details and after correcting the surname it was indeed the same person, I'd caught up with her after 20 plus years. The low is she developed an auto immune disease in 1999 and died last month. But prior to that she'd had a near death experience and though she said she'd always been aware of God existing (he told me) this told her everything in life was love, anything else is only an illusion. This was a pretty powerful message for someone to leave and one I needed myself at the time.

I heard everything she'd done since I knew her. After getting married (to someone else rather than the person I expected her to) they moved to Hong Kong (so I wouldn't have been able to see her). We both took law degrees, I went on to do counselling and psychic research, and she became a spiritual counsellor and poet. I didn't even know she had that side to her when I knew her, and now it seems maybe she's arranged a 'little something' to point me and her online friend in California towards a closure for both of us. I told him everything she did before about 1984, he told me the rest, and sent me her website with a picture showing she hadn't changed at all. We both agreed there was something very special about her and we were both touched by it.

I'm sure she would have liked as many people as possible to see her website so you can also see what an amazing person she was. I knew her for about ten years and though I fell for her straight away I wasn't good enough for her as a boyfriend, but spent far longer as a close friend than I did with any girlfriend. And she was the one I went to see Tim Curry with in the Rocky Horror show, to find another relevant connection.

#280888 - Wed Nov 23 2005 06:57 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
High, high, high! Today was an election day here in Jersey. Six years ago I campaigned and demonstrated against a particular candidate, a revolting specimen who had been convicted of importing some videos showing torture (of women), he was still successful despite my efforts. Anyway today he lost his seat! What a shame.

I spent nine hours helping at the election, providing refreshments. Great fun.

#280889 - Wed Nov 23 2005 08:51 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Seriously cool Sat, it's always great to catch up on old friends. It is a shame that you did actually get to see her again.

Terrific news Sue, I remember you talking about the slime, and I am glad the people finally recognized him as such!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280890 - Thu Nov 24 2005 02:01 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'm just taking the opportunity to wish everybody, wherever you are and whatever you're doing today, a "Happy Thanksgiving!" It seems to me that, even though it is a so-called big deal here in the States there is something to be thankful for - for all of us any day and any reason. It being a 'holiday' here at the moment just gives me the excuse to say it this morning. I'll be honest to offer that I had a feeling of "shortages" in the Thankful Department for a moment a few seconds ago but then I got over it. I guess I have a pretty big reason to be grateful since some told me I wasn't even supposed to be sitting up by now. Some even didn't put a lot of faith in that I'd have a pulse (and I know we've all had our share of problems here and again). But guess what? We're all still here and, for that, being thankful is a dire understatement. I hope a grand day is had by all - and will someone puh-leez invite me over for dinner that isn't having turkey? Blech. I don't like the stuff at all !

#280891 - Thu Nov 24 2005 03:15 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Gatsby you're 100 % right, all of us at Funtrivia, (all over the world, but especailly here! ) have had their ups and downs this year (and it's not over yet!) but we've all got a lot to be thankful for! Although the UK doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving...a Happy Thanksgiving to every single person here, which does!

#280892 - Thu Nov 24 2005 03:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Gats you are always welcome at my place for dinner. At the moment it looks like I'm having Jelly Snakes and the end of a tin of Sour Cream and Onion Pringles, but Phil might be throwing some meat pies or sausage rolls in the microwave soon if you're lucky! Actually I'm about to go and cook something involving rice, tofu and some vegetables, guaranteeing the King won't be venturing into the kitchen for a while...if you can get here in, ooh, let's say an hour, to make it reasonable, I'll set another place on the...hmm, I usually eat "on my lap", and I don't think even the presence of vegetables would keep King Phil away if I set you a place there!!

Ooh, Phil just informed me he's planning on having Brussels razed to the ground, as that's where the sprouts come from!

#280893 - Sat Nov 26 2005 05:55 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

I don't have many lows, (luckily I try to see the best in things) butjust recieved a almighty low, which in some way is also a high. My sister has just called in, they were burguled in the night. They took all the house keys, credit cards and to round things off nicely, stole all three cars as well. But although it is a awful thing to happen the burgulars didn't go upstairs, where my sister, husband and niece (the other niece was out for the night) were. It could have been a lot lot worse, instead of a lot of messing around, with banks etc, we could have been preparing for a funeral.

#280894 - Sat Nov 26 2005 06:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
That is horrible Jane.

#280895 - Sat Nov 26 2005 06:59 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Yes awful Jane, but as you say it could have been so much worse. I'm glad everyone's okay...

We had a flood today. Luckily the water only got into the garage, and as it isn't the first time we have put most 'soluble' items up on (aluminium) shelves. But it's a nuisance nonetheless. Our house is one of five 'villas' - they are all free-standing but face a central courtyard. They were obviously built on the cheap about 25 years ago, and are in fairly 'original' condition, but in general we love our little house. The trouble is, whoever 'planned' our house thought it was a really good idea to put the garage (which joins the house, but is luckily down a small step) at the bottom of the downward sloping concrete driveway. There is a long thin drain which runs along in front of the door, but it gets clogged as soon as there's more than a slight drizzle, and if we don't get to it in time, disaster.

No big deal really, but I hope that's as exciting as my weekend gets!

#280896 - Sat Nov 26 2005 08:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Oh dear. Thank goodness your sister and family weren't hurt Jane...very scary.
And ing, what a nuisance that is!

#280897 - Sat Nov 26 2005 10:37 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Pretty high spot today, after waiting about two years, I finally got someone to quote me for a new kitchen who appears to want to do it. He's a bit more than the original quote, but as that was written in fairy dust it wasn't really worth very much. I just planned and ordered the whole lot online in less than an hour, and even if he somehow can't do it (I'm sure he will as I know his business partner) I'll have the lot ready to install when it arrives. And I got yellow which was discontinued last time I looked, I wanted blue or yellow but the units I wanted were only in white wherever I looked till now.

#280898 - Tue Nov 29 2005 03:37 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Well a personal high was Sunday and yesterday (after the drama of Saturday) with celebrating my Dad's 70th birthday! A good time was had by all!

#280899 - Tue Nov 29 2005 07:08 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

The thought of kitchen renovations makes me shudder! My friend just went through that, and it dragged on for months.
Nice picture Jane - say Happy Birthday to your dad for us!

#280900 - Tue Nov 29 2005 12:26 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I think I mentioned it here first, so I'll update it here. I just heard details of my forthcoming TV appearance. It's supposed to be going on Discovery TV in the UK and the Learning Channel (same people) in the US and also Australia. The series is ten parts, and called 'The ten best ways to be abducted by aliens', and I'm in the first episode, called 'The explained'. Currently the expected date is in March, but they expect a definite one when I call in January. The three of us in it are understandably getting excited, and Lars, the scientist who sat in on the hypnosis, was asked to be an extra and appears in about three episodes as an abductee.
I was about to post this in 'Has anyone been on TV' but it hasn't been on yet!

#280901 - Tue Nov 29 2005 12:53 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Cool!

#280902 - Tue Nov 29 2005 04:39 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Yay! Your legendary 'fifteen minutes' is on it's way, Sat. Here's hoping this appearance is only the beginning.

I too think your new picture is lovely, Jane!

Edited by ktstew (Tue Nov 29 2005 04:41 PM)

#280903 - Tue Nov 29 2005 07:15 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Hmm, Guru, March in US/UK probably means we'll get it here in about 2009 - but I'll be looking out for it!

Jane, so glad you were able to share a wonderful birthday with your dad.

I've decided I'm suffering from a wee bit of stress as well as odd-weather syndrome.

Tomorrow Father goes into respite care, which means his behaviour is even more brattish than usual just now, and Mother is more flustered than usual dealing with him. He's going into the same place his brother has been living for over a year, so you'd think that might be a good thing...you'd think. The respite was initially going to be for 2 weeks, but because Mother is in such a desperate state some strings have been pulled and it's been extended to 4 weeks. Thing is that Father still thinks it's only 2, and I get to break the news to him that it's actually to be longer...I'm just so looking forward to finding him somewhere permanent so that we can all get on with our lives.

#280904 - Tue Nov 29 2005 07:47 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
My father in law has been in a facility now for about three years, as he has Parkinson's with dementia. He's easily twice the size of my mother in law, and she just couldn't care for him anymore.
He's another one who was not happy about finding out that he was going to be there for good - he used to come home every Sunday, for dinner and visit, but it ended up being so disruptive that he just stays there all the time now. My mother in law's health almost immediately got better, as so much of her trouble came from the stress of their life - one crisis afer another.
One real drawback to an institution is that is it actually easier for them, short staffed as they all seem to be, to have the patients LESS mobile and able to do things alone. Easier to strap him in a wheelchair, and wheel him around than to wait while he slowly gets himself about. Easier to spoon feed him, than to wait for his messy and slow eating, and then clean up after it. So, he has become completely dependant, where he really wasn't when he went in.

I think I'll just take a minute here to celebrate my dad - ninety two in January, living alone, gets out every day, walks the four blocks to the mall, reads the paper and eavesdrops on story time in the library. He's slowing down, but accepting age with good grace - just as we start thinking "Gee, maybe he shouldn't be doing ______ any more", he says "I've decide that I don't really want to do ________ any more". Still in charge of his life, and enjoying it.

#280905 - Wed Nov 30 2005 03:03 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Thanks agony, I'm sure my mother will be much better once she doesn't have to look after my father too.

Your dad sounds great, and I'm very happy for both of you that he has managed to keep good health and attitude as he's aged. I guess that's the way we'd all like to be, but unfortunately it doesn't happen that way for many. But it is nice to know there is at least one, and that he is appreciated as he deserves to be.

#280906 - Wed Nov 30 2005 04:45 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Highs of the last two days...actual heat in my house now! Maybe I can finally shake this cold I've had for a few days, and my daughters will stop being so querulous. I'm getting new mural gigs left and right from passersby, since the one I'm currently painting is in such public view. Looks as though we eat in January...Yay!
And last but not least, I received a box of hand dipped chocolates, a green glowing globe [ sort of an inside 'Wizard Of Oz' joke] and a little bottle of sand and seawater from a beach in Amsterdam. These were sent by a dear friend who wished I could've gone along too.
Low spots? Thankfully there are none right now. My immediate family is healthy and I hope to see the rest of my family in a few weeks. It's a good day.

#280907 - Thu Dec 01 2005 02:31 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Well I'm exhausted but choosing to see today as the beginning of a high. Father has been installed in room in the Aged Care facility with not too many dramas, but I am yet to break it to him that he'll be there for 4 weeks instead of 2. I'll try and get my brother to come with me for that one (sure he had to be in Samoa on UNESCO business this week, a likely story!)

And I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon. I haven't worked for nearly 2 years so it feels a bit odd to be contemplating going back, but it's only 3 days a week so I reckon I'll cope; and all my dependants will just have to learn to have their crises over the weekend or on Mondays and Tuesdays!

Really glad you're getting work too kt!

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943