Rules
Terms of Use

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#280908 - Thu Dec 01 2005 08:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Thank you, Ing. I enjoy these little hobbies of mine [ call it an 'income'] and am glad more seem to be around the corner. Painting murals seems to be the only part of my profession left which can't be duplicated easily on the computer. So...here I am.

You're right.
There ought to be some way we can train loved ones to only sucumb to or cause medical emergencies from 9 to 5, Monday through Tuesdays..When they were younger, my girls were always deciding to run a dangerous fever or break into colorful rashes on Sunday night, for some reason!

I am sorry for what you have gone through with your folks, lately. They are lucky to have such an intuitive, caring child in you, though.They could've done worse.

#280909 - Fri Dec 02 2005 04:19 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT†Australia††
Quote:

I am sorry for what you have gone through with your folks, lately. They are lucky to have such an intuitive, caring child in you, though.They could've done worse.

They did, they also got my brother!

No but seriously, thanks kt, and I know I do well by them, but it isn't always easy...I also know they have done (and still do) the best for me they can...

I'm a bit worried tonight as we had a huge storm this afternoon. Luckily our new drain provisions held up and we didn't get another garage flood, but then we didn't get the worst of it. My parents-in-law were without power, but hopefully it is back on now, and there have been traffic lights out all over town and accidents galore. The thing that is really nagging at me, however, is that a tree fell and killed someone in the suburb were I grew up. They haven't released the name yet as they haven't found his family, but as he was in his 50s-60s there's a very good chance I knew him as the father of one of my schoolfriends. But of course, life goes on...

#280910 - Mon Dec 05 2005 12:03 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Some good news at last! My son-in-law who is a doctor is currently a Senior House Office (SHO) and his present contract expires in February. Last week he got his exam results and had failed one part so needs to retake them in three months time - not good for jobseeking! Anyway, the good news is that he has just heard that he has a new job starting in February. It is quite a distance to travel but better than being a locum or unemployed.

#280911 - Mon Dec 05 2005 12:11 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario†Canada††
Glad to hear it.
And not to worry, he will pass the exam next time!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280912 - Tue Dec 06 2005 10:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
I just added a counter to my blog, and I'm getting around 50 hits a day- I am amazed!

I had a counter on my main site for years, but didn't think to check on the others. I must be doing something right!

#280913 - Tue Dec 06 2005 11:43 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I dot a told.

#280914 - Tue Dec 06 2005 12:18 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Well, quick update with Dad. No change, he is still in pain. But he is managing the pain with painkillers. He is in good spirits, so a reasonable high. Also, all being well, we think my sister has sold her house, with a little bit of luck, she may be moving next door to me, and my parents, at the end of February maybe

#280915 - Tue Dec 06 2005 12:28 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Hoping the painkillers continue to be helpful. That is good news about your sister being able to live close to you.

#280916 - Tue Dec 06 2005 01:25 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
High...my niece's first birthday is today!

#280917 - Wed Dec 07 2005 11:37 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I'm glad about your sister, too, Jane. There's nothing like having her close by when things really start to get tough.

#280918 - Thu Dec 08 2005 09:41 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I had a note from the local 'mayor', otherwise known as the Connetable, thanking me for making tea at the election. Nice to be appreciated.

#280919 - Thu Dec 08 2005 12:48 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova†Scotia†Canada††††
Oh how I've missed the forums and all you wonderful people! I've started back at work after being off for an extended spell. I had to get back into the swing of working 12-hour shifts and it has thrown me for a loop. I've had about 6 hours sleep in the last 4 days so I'm a walking zombie (not that anyone would notice the difference )

#280920 - Thu Dec 08 2005 01:55 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well I wondered where you were. Get some sleep girl - you're going to make yourself sick!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280921 - Thu Dec 08 2005 02:03 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova†Scotia†Canada††††
Thanks, Skunkee, I'm glad I was missed. Yes, I will get some shut-eye....in a few minutes, I have a few more threads to cheak out.

#280922 - Sun Dec 11 2005 08:03 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Auszev Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth
Western†Australia
Another 0 on global. Why cannot scores of O, 1 and 2 be recognized and get all those points? I reckon I would be 'screaming' it in if you did and be at the top on the global and win the other tournaments from the other end. I think it takes talent to get these scores - constantly. Another trip to the therapist - lack of self esteem and depression has set in! At least it gives us something to talk about - other than what they want to discuss (that they think is important).

#280923 - Mon Dec 12 2005 08:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

High or low, haven't quite worked out which: didn't get the job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago and was fairly sure I had in the bag. But it seems it was not so much that they didn't think I was right for it, as they went outside the agency I'd been recommended by. Sneaky Public Service trick - the 'rules' are that you go through the agency the Department has decided to use, but of course that's a much more expensive way. But if you interview some people from the agency and find them 'unsuitable', then you're allowed to go 'outside' and employ your wife's cousin or whoever.

I wasn't really sure I was ready to go back to work anyway, so I guess I must not be just yet! But I'm certainly not feeling rejected, so I guess it's overall a good thing.

I copped a whole load of abuse from my father this afternoon (which was a low) and I was really surprised by how hard it hit me. I guess I've removed myself from it for so long that I'd forgotten what it was like to get that kind of sustained barrage. He's always been impossible to reason with, but of course his dementia hardly makes him more reasonable. I'm still not sure if I'm proud of myself for not crying, or worried that I didn't because I've become so hardened...Anyway, there was a bit of a high afterwards when I saw my uncle (they're in the same facility at the moment) and he asked me what I'd spoken to the old man about. Not much, I said, he just spent an hour telling me how stupid I am. Oh, and did you believe him? No of course not I said, and we laughed, and I immediately forgot everything pa had said. Then I thought about how easy it is to get caught up in the abuse cycle, but then how easy it sometimes is to get snapped out of it too.

#280924 - Tue Dec 13 2005 06:44 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
How do we all forget all these pretty colours? Well, I just remembered! Quite a good high today, I saw a client last week who I gave an hour's hypnotherapy to give up smoking, and confidently expected it to work more likely than not in one session. I just got a call he'd not even thought about cigarettes since then, including a smoky party where he had no interest in joining in smoking, and felt a lot better physically. Getting a job done is normal, but cracking a habit in one session is special, and not only shows it can sometimes be done, but how the methods do usually work generally.

#280925 - Wed Dec 14 2005 04:43 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
hollandist Offline
Explorer

High and low
Loud and Mellow
Down and ups
Mugs and Cups

Well, you can't really say I'm on a high, or a low for a matter of fact. We've been packing to make a two hour move away, with my dad's job. We have donated 24 garbage bags FULL of clothes to charity. And it's hard for mum.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Dec 14 2005 09:43 AM)

#280926 - Wed Dec 14 2005 05:08 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/Week
ing Offline
Prolific

Oh low is me. I'm trying to use FT as even more of a distraction than usual, but it isn't working and I am about to have to retire in defeat. I have an infection in my eye which is apparently some form of conjunctivitis but I haven't been in this much pain since I had a filling put in without anaesthetic. It's a new kind of pain, too, which always seems to make it harder to deal with, the old unknown and all that. At the moment I am putting drops in every two hours but they certainly don't seem to be helping so far. Doc seems to think it will clear up in 4 or 5 days and I so hope he's right.

And now I must leave you my friends and hope to come back tomorrow in a better frame of mind, and certainly hope all of you are having a much better day than I am.

#280927 - Wed Dec 14 2005 06:48 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Oh dear ing, I hope it eases up for you really soon. Are you putting drops in it?
I seem to have succumbed to a cold - first one in months.
My throat feels like cut glass, my sinuses are full, and I have that annoying post-nasal drip that upsets my tummy.
I do not do sick gracefully - when my head is this full I have trouble thinking.

#280928 - Wed Dec 14 2005 09:55 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Oh dear both ing and skunkee. Having a 'told' is pretty miserable and as for an eye problem, wow that can be so sore. We all know how it irritates when we get a speck of dust in the eye.

Hope you are both feeling much better soon.

I went to my bank to pay my credit cards (ugh), draw cash and deposit my final sickness benefit cheque. They had a Christmas food hamper which looked very good, a prize in a free draw. Now with the sort of luck that I have had this year I decided to enter, well at worst I won't win and who knows, it could even be the start of better things for me if I do win, a turn of my luck. You had to write in less than 28 words as to why you deserve to win! I ran out of space before the 28 words and didn't even get round to mentioning the stroke, my mother's death and missing the funeral, my daughter's current health problems and her husband failing his exam! If anyone has had a worse year then they REALLY deserve to win it. It is drawn on 22nd, so watch this space. The annual 'bumper' lottery draw is soon too, the prize is worth about £375,000 - now I would be most happy to win that one.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Dec 14 2005 09:57 AM)

#280929 - Wed Dec 14 2005 10:23 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

I will keep my fingers crossed for you Sue.
Mmmm, pistachios!

#280930 - Wed Dec 14 2005 10:40 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Lets all keep our fingers crossed for Sue!

#280931 - Thu Dec 15 2005 06:16 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Of course you deserve to win Sue - we might be winning a huge teddy bear tomorrow too! Hope you get better soon too skunkee - and wallow in it I say, I've been anything but graceful the last couple of days!

I've been back to the doctor today and I'm in that lovely twilight where the codeine has taken the edge off the pain but not quite caused me to pass out yet...I have an unpronouncable infection of the tear duct, which has caused the entire right side of my face to swell up so I look like a living Photoshop effect! I get to deal with the side-effects of antibiotics too, but with any luck it'll only be one course...

The worst part is I missed my brother's graduation today. As I was kinda the inspiration behind his PhD thesis in the first place, I really wanted to be there. But it sounds like it all went well and I'll just have to hope some of the pictures turn out...the most important part was that he enjoyed it, and was apparently last seen receiving tasteful university-logoed gifts (which I am assured do exist!) from his Centre Colleagues and Supervisor.

#280932 - Thu Dec 15 2005 06:25 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Missing major events is hard, so hard. Do they have videos/dvd taken which you might order? I know I have copies of my childrens graduations so that I can watch them again should I wish.

Good luck with the medication, I hope it kicks in quickly.

Page 11 of 13 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943