Rules
Terms of Use

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#280933 - Thu Dec 15 2005 06:54 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario†Canada††
Oh ing that is so sad. What a nasty thing to have happen. At first I thought you were talking pink eye, but this sounds a whole lot more serious than that.
I hope the first run of anti-biotics works.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280934 - Thu Dec 15 2005 08:04 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Ing, my dear, please be extra careful. As somebody who has lots of eye problems, I am in complete sympathy. If you notice any little changes at all, please don't waste any time getting back in to the doctor.

So sorry.

#280935 - Thu Dec 15 2005 04:11 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova†Scotia†Canada††††
Would it be acute dacrocystitis, Ing? That's nasty. If it is, the good news is the antiobiotics your doctor prescribled should clear it up quickly. My sympathies while you wait. It's miserable.

#280936 - Thu Dec 15 2005 05:02 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
I so rarely post in here , usually because my lows never seem as low as the people who post here have. My low is only that I am dreading the cold in UK , I take off tomorrow night. It is about 20 in the daytime here and 9 ish in the morning and we live up in the northern NT. My high is I am looking forward to seeing England at Christmas, the shopping, (the bookshops mainly), the food and the people I have not seen for ages.
I will get in here when and if I can but I hope everyone has a wonderful time and all the terrible lows here are lessened by having a bit of a break with family and friends and no work for a while. Some of us seem to need a few breaks, lets face it. I am so, so thankful for my rude good health, my ability to work and my good lifestyle. I am so so thankful for all my good friends in here. Here's hoping for a happier healthier New Year for all. XXXX

#280937 - Thu Dec 15 2005 05:17 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Oh Ren, I hope your English Christmas is everything you hoped it would be. Have a safe journey.

#280938 - Thu Dec 15 2005 05:18 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT†Australia††
Thanks all for sympathy and advice. Sue as far as I know there isn't a video, but that's a good idea for something to check out. Skunkee I have/had conjunctivitis (pink eye) as well, which is responding well to the drops, and kt I have already been to the doctor twice in two days, but I've already warned him I might be back!

BKA it's certainly a form of dacrocystitis, but the doc mentioned lacrimalrhino something which I couldn't make google find for me.

The good news is I am feeling a little better, though horribly washed out with the pain-killers. I'm also pleased that my instinct to want to clamp heat-packs to my face is one of the prescribed things to do; I love it when the body dictates treatment like that!

I'm about to head back to bed - it's actually taken me nearly half an hour to write this as I keep zoning out in the middle! It's my parents-in-law's anniversary party this evening, and though I know they'd love me to be there, I can't say it's an event I'm especially sad to be missing. They swear every year that this will be the last, but then they just can't bring themselves not to have it. At least this year m-i-l has been forbidden hot food - she's still in the early stages of Parkinsons, but she's not exactly quick on her feet these days. And the whole point of the party is for them to see old friends, but she's usually so busy refusing help and 'running' around that she doesn't get to talk to anyone. I convinced her that people came to see her, not for her 'hot suggestions'! And of course every year there are more ghosts of old friends hovering about, so it is always a bittersweet occasion...

I'm now having to close my eyes just about every second word, so definately time for bed, but it is so nice to be able to check in with you guys!

#280939 - Mon Dec 19 2005 01:27 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Dad hasn't been too good with the pain, so had some patches which kills the pain more effectively. He has also going to have more radium theraphy in the New Year. But everything is prepared for Christmas, so all being well, business as usual

#280940 - Mon Dec 19 2005 01:28 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Fingers crossed for you Jane, and for your family.

#280941 - Mon Dec 19 2005 06:17 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
THE_KATT Offline
Participant

My father left us(me and my younger brother)when i was tow years old,he went to united states for work..
Our mother did the same after 6 months
and married again,well being raised by my grandmother was'nt bad,she was very nice and did what she could to let us have good education,she passed away a year ago..
And now at age of 32 with a nice job
and my brother '30' married and have tow
cute little daughters,we decided to know more about our parents(that was 8 months back)..
So we look here and there,asked relatives,we manage to get our father address from the united states embassy
and to get our mother's address too..
Well we began with dad,so we called him
interduce ourselves to him,and expressed
how much we wanted to see him,what do you think his response was??
"please dont call me again,you are a mistake in my life" then he hangs up..
going to our mother revealed that she feels the same way,she did'nt want us
no one explained why???
from my youth tell now i cant help a tear to drop when i saw how my friends parents care for them...
what can i say
life is not fair..
but on the otherside i belive that i must go on,but am affraid to get married
i dont want the same thing happened to my children...

#280942 - Mon Dec 19 2005 07:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That's so hard, Katt, it must have hurt to hear that. You can believe though, that it is THEIR problem - it has nothing to do with you. They don't even know you, please don't believe that this means anything bad about you. Sounds like you have your brother to be close to, at least.

#280943 - Mon Dec 19 2005 09:57 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario†Canada††
I am so sorry for you that both of your parents are so selfish.
You will probably make a good parent, knowing how much it hurts to be abandoned.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280944 - Wed Dec 21 2005 07:44 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
Tonight's high, I went to my Mum's as I often do for the evening, and she had friends over who knew half the same people I did as their children went to the same school as me and they live in a road off where I lived. We went over years and years of memories and got some interesting local gossip about some of the people I was at school with and hadn't seen since the 70s. By chance I also had a printout I'd brought of some of my writing which was all about the same people we both knew which they found highly entertaining, particularly as they were about many of their neighbours who I (anonymously in the pieces) mentioned. It was like being back in a community I'd actually left 12 years ago, though I was only a visitor nowadays!

#280945 - Thu Dec 22 2005 11:05 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
It is now twelve months since I first started my illness (although I didn't know it) plus a couple of days (19th/20th) so it is about time my luck changed. Yesterday I bought a couple of £1 scratch cards and won £6, a £5 and a £1!

Watch this space.

#280946 - Fri Dec 23 2005 06:12 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Wow Sue - we bought a $5 scratchie a couple of days ago and got 2 free $1 ones with it. We won 2 more $1 tickets, and $6! Talk about eerie coincidence! Maybe luck is changing on both sides of the world. (And what about the (bank?) raffle? We didn't win our giant bear, but we don't have room for it anyway.)

Then again, the reason I insisted we buy the scratchies was because we just had a really lucky escape with our car. Long story short, we were literally a couple of pumps of the brake pedal away from the pedal continuing all the way to the floor. What might have happened if we hadn't booked in for a service when we did doesn't bear thinking about...shiver... Ooh, should I be walking under a black cat or something; I just realised the mechanic's name is Noel!

#280947 - Sat Dec 24 2005 03:11 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Well, just been to the "midnight" mass (which was held seven hours earlier ) and gave thanks that Dad is with us. Tomorrow, we (me Mum and Dad) are having Christmas Dinner at my sister's house, all being well. I am looking forward to spending Christmas with my family Best wishes to all at Funtrivia

#280948 - Sun Dec 25 2005 07:57 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio†USA††††
Likely the best Christmas present of all, wasn't it, Jane? I'm real glad your Dad was up to the Mass and I'm glad you got to share that with him. Priceless.

Christmas eve was just running amok with goodness over here - unexpectedly. Huge plates of food delivered to the door (That drumstick didn't last long, I guarantee . Nor did the pile of cookies!). Strange things jazz me, I suppose. An unknown, kinda, woman called me on the phone yesterday. Turns out she was, of all people, the pizza delivery person whom I hadn't seen in weeks and she was worried about me since I went from being a regular customer to MIA AND she noted that the last time she was here I looked very ill and wasn't as cheerful as usual. How nice was that of a veritable stranger? Every day someone seems to surprise me with their clarity of spirit and that is a good thing as they're starting to outnumber those who work in the opposite direction. Makes me believe that, yes Virginia, there is hope in this world. And, at the end of the day, that lovely delivery person's simple call meant 100 times more to me than that my own brother didn't even send a card this year. These are not difficult equations to figure out ultimately.

Now to my low point (and, for me, it's as low as it can be). I've been pulling my hair out about it for days - but it has to be dealt with and I'll just get it over with now. I'm 95% likely to lose my ISP in a matter of days and am not in the right position to get a new one. Which means I might disappear. *Poof* Just like that . The past couple of years have been a potent challenge for me and I seem to have mastered taking a punch better than I ever thought possible. This one, though, is the hardest knock. Probably sounds crazy to say (but you've all heard me crazy before; I've taken ownership of any and all embarrassment that way). I really occasionally feel as though I've suffered every indignity a man can. Leaving this wonderful community tops all of it and I really mean that - but it really was inevitable. MS is not only a flattening physical inconvenience it is a costly misadventure and I have to be careful now. I wiggle with the best of them but I'm pretty much out of 'wiggle' room. That is not the biggest problem the world has had but it really makes me nauseated to have to go. I maybe won't but I'd better plan on it happening. And, as easier as it would be to just vanish, I can't do it. So I'll get the goo out of the way this morning. This site has been a lifeboat to me. I've learned so much, laughed like a hyena, rode the ups and downs with everyone with such a passionate gratitude. 2/3 of me is FT ! No, I never planned it that way but I am so glad it happened. I wrote a mail to someone last night about the family this place is. Not just for me but for all of us. And every sideways look at those words was true to me. And, if I go, I hope that you know I felt that way. To finish (darn it - there's that annoying whatsit in my eye again) please be sure of this: there was more than a thousand times I wasn't sure if I was going up a ladder or down it but I knew sure and well that you people were steadying that ladder on both ends. If I ever mattered at all it was because this group allowed me to and this foolish old crippled guy is proud to know that.

I'd also like to say that, for sure, most of you are a lot smarter than me. More eloquent. Tougher. Far more clever. Yeah, sometimes far more fired up too lol. But I found this dumb thing that I'll wrap this epic post up with. It's a jukebox, of all things, that plays a song that kinda fits me. Hit the arrow to play it so you can read the lyrics while you listen.

www.smickandsmodoo.com/lyrics/swingin.htm

I may be, overall, a mulish monkey that lives in a zoo but you folks, my FT friends, have made me better than I thought I could be. And this is not an official resignation or anything. I've still got that 5% to work with. Low percentages have buoyed me pretty shockingly well so far. And that's all I'll say about it for now. Writing that much has my stomach in about a million knots.

#280949 - Sun Dec 25 2005 06:35 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Gats untie your stomach and read my PM, you ain't getting away from us that easy!

And could you have found a more perfectly cheesy version of that song? Always been a favourite of mine, too.

#280950 - Mon Dec 26 2005 03:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Yes a great day was had by all yesterday, and today is "unwinding" day! Hope everybody has had a great day

#280951 - Mon Jan 02 2006 03:41 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Online   FT-cool

I am saddened to return from holiday to see that post of our dear Gats. I wish I could help. Does anyone have his address? Maybe we can do something? I can't bear to think he can't come on here any more. What a dreadful loss to the site. Ideas anyone??

#280952 - Mon Jan 02 2006 03:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Check your PM box, I will send his address to you.

If anyone else wants it send me a PM.

His telephone appears to be out of action so sending emails is not an option.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Jan 02 2006 03:43 PM)

#280953 - Mon Jan 02 2006 03:44 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Thanks for that Sue...

#280954 - Tue Jan 03 2006 07:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

We're all thinking of Gatsby

#280955 - Tue Jan 03 2006 09:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, we are, Jane.

Gats and I talked on Christmas eve/ morning for almost three hours, and he was in fine spirits then. He'd just had some packages in the mail and a nice Christmas dinner arrive at the door from his buddy a block or two away. I believe he was as comfortable as is possible right now.

Here's hoping he's back pretty soon.

#280956 - Tue Jan 03 2006 09:29 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
After he had been offline for a couple of days Leau (who spotted it) contacted me and I found a neighbour and phoned asking them to check on him to ensure that he was OK. I then phoned them back half an hour later and was told that he was fine. They probably thought it odd that someone from England (couldn't confuse them with geography) was asking them to trudge up the road.

He might well have got a few people checking on him as the first couple of numbers were on answerphones so I left a message. One old guy answered the phone and was totally confused, I had to give up on him although with hindsight I ought to have asked people to check on him, he ought not to have been alone!

#280957 - Tue Jan 03 2006 09:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

The last mail I had from him was dated Tuesday after Christmas, and since I'd been out of town for three days, I tried to call and got a busy signal. Since Dave is on dial up, that isn't unusual. So I tried a few more times, but with no result. I knew he'd probably been shut down, at some point on Friday morning.

This 'being alone' is an issue many of us have brought up to him time and time again over the last year or so. He is simply determined to stay home for as long as possible, damn the consequences. It's hard to know what to say , because arguing does no good.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943