Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#280683 - Thu Oct 06 2005 12:02 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Really sorry to hear of your loss Cinnam0n.

#280684 - Thu Oct 06 2005 02:01 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am very sorry to hear of your father-in-law's death. Um, I am not quite sure how to take the comment about your mother-in-law living with you indefinitely, I hope that this is something which YOU want.

#280685 - Thu Oct 06 2005 03:13 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
My condolences, cinnamOn (and to Mr. cinnamOn, too).

#280686 - Thu Oct 06 2005 03:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Thanks, everyone - yes, I am happy to have my mother-in-law. We have always gotten along very well. It is just a big adjustment. I am a person who loves my "alone time," and with my kids almost raised (one 15-year-old left), I'm used to lots of time to read, do word puzzles, and be on the computer. My shopping trips and errands are quick and only when necessary. My mother-in-law is physically unable to be drive right now, and hates to be alone (not just because she is grieving - that is her personality) so wants company to talk to pretty much constantly, and is used to running around all the time. Her house in town is 5 minutes from the grocery store, bank, etc., and we live out in the country. It will just take some getting used to and sacrifice on my part!

#280687 - Thu Oct 06 2005 04:41 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Very sorry to hear about your loss. It's nice that she has you to be there for her.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#280688 - Thu Oct 06 2005 04:48 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JoyJoyJoy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Thanks Ing for your comments and support! It was nice to be heard.

Time is key to so many of our problems/frustrations. And we want it (problem solved, answered, etc) NOW! I'm glad you get along with your mother-in-law, cinnamon.

My high today is getting my homework done three days before it's due. Yeah!

My low: getting an email that confused me! It stated that I had reached/exceeded the limit of taking courses over and any courses I took over this semester would not count! YIKES! I'm taking a methods class over because I got a D. Horrible class, teacher is so confusing AND now there was a problem in getting credit for it???

I told myself, don't worry, check it out...but I got all worked up...over nothing! I am not over my limit, the email was just a warning.

Ever get that way, know that the situation is over-blown in your mind, but you go with the emotions anyway???

So, I'm calm now.

#280689 - Fri Oct 07 2005 01:55 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

This might not seem much to some people, but to me it does! Every year Waddingtons release a Christmas Jigsaw with a certificate and coin, from 1994. Predictably, they call the series "The Twelve Days of Christmas", (this year being the twelvth year). I am lucky to have all the Waddingtons (well nearly all, got this years ordered!)and they sell for quite a lot of money on ebay etc. Well, one of my many Aunts managed to purchase another 1994 jigsaw (the very first one), which I am very excited about. So that is my personal high of the day!

#280690 - Fri Oct 07 2005 03:58 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
After being stuck on dial up where all about are paying less for broadband, I just got a call it's finally come to Kingsbury! In three weeks I won't ever have to redial every two hours, lose data when it goes off in the middle of a download, and get programs in a minute or two instead of an hour. It's well under half the price of what I use now, (at the moment), so I have to be patient and wait just a little bit longer. I am curious why my cable TV hasn't upgraded but I assume the two come together so I'll be able to use the coloured buttons on the remote at long last, or maybe that's asking a little too much?

#280691 - Fri Oct 07 2005 07:27 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Yay, David. Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of broadband...now you won't grow old sitting there, waiting for your blog [ or anything else] to load! Any idea as to why it took so long for Kingbury to come around? I should think your city would have subscribed eons ago.

#280692 - Fri Oct 07 2005 10:49 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Broadband's fantastic, got it a few months ago myself and haven't looked back!

Joy, yes, used to get myself all worked up over things exactly like that, before checking out what it really meant. Have managed to train myself out of it, though (nearly!)

I add my condolences to the cinnamOn family, and I hope that the process of integrating a new person into your household goes smoothly.

My high from yesterday involves my 'son'. This is actually my uncle, but as I am his legal guardian I joke sometimes that I was presented a couple of years ago with a bouncing 74-year-old, all 6foot and 75kgs of him! Long story short he suffers from Alzheimer's and is going blind, and now lives in 'low-level' care in what is (having seen some of the other places) comparative comfort. He summoned me to see him yesterday as he had received some mail which was worrying him, even though he couldn't read it properly. One letter inadvertently reminded me that there is still one sub-department of the monolithic health and aging system for which I have not filled out paperwork in tripicate informing them that they need to correspond with me and not him. Funny, as another sub-department - probably represented by the person at the next desk - managed to send me the same information, albeit in a very slightly different format...

The other letter, which he swore had come the day before, involved an AGM for 2004 and still had his old address on it, but it took me a while to convince him that it was under control. Just when I think I've tidied up all his 'paperwork', I find another stash he's managed to smuggle in!

But the high was finding a CD in his room. For my birthday a couple of months ago he had presented me with an empty CD case. It was one I had bought him anyway but he couldn't work out how to play it and wouldn't ask for help - "I'm happy with my radio". I thought it was very sweet of him, and went to look in the player as I thought the actual disc was probably still in there. Oh no, he'd managed to work out how to get it out, just not what to do with it afterwards! I undertook a brief search at the time, but wasn't too worried and just told him if he found a bright, round, shiny disc to put it aside for me and hadn't thought of it since. So when I was there yesterday and had managed to find his magnifying glass under the piles of old activity schedules which he refuses to throw away and was ready to leave, I spotted the disc sitting on a shelf where I know it hadn't been on any of my previous visits. So, after explaining to him what it was and reminding him that he hadn't forgotten my birthday, really, I put it in one of his collection of used envelopes (which he also refuses to throw away) to bring home.

Actually the real high is in seeing him and knowing that for all the complaining he likes to do he still has his sense of humour and is actually as happy and content as I've ever known him to be. While his diminishing sight is a constant trial to him (I think he keeps forgetting that he is legally blind, so wakes up to it each morning as a bit of a shock) and his memory loss sometimes causes him frustration, he is not depressed (I watch him for signs constantly, as it is such a prevalent family trait on his side, and get him checked out regularly for this and everything else) and in general is doing quite well (touch wood).

#280693 - Fri Oct 07 2005 11:32 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
...as Gats dials up... Still no broadband around here. It's available, I just never used it. Joy, it will find you eventually what really matters a whole lot (not that you really don't know already - but the altitude of stresses will change and maybe bet on that.) Jane, there's nothing a bit insignificant about collectibles. I think they're great fun - and I love E-Bay. I found out that one of my rare edition books comes in at $600 over there. Nobody else would care much but it's nice to know that my recreation(s) could possibly be worth something as it goes. _ing! Your uncle! How sad, really . There must me some bliss waking up to know that you're not really blind. In all my days I've never met an elderly person or otherwise who thought it could be right. Not much comfort there, mostly, but the element of fear changes as one carries on. Good luck with your new "kid" - but you don't need my good wishes. Sometimes, I suspect, we all think we are 13. The best parts of us are, I reckon.

My piddly low point of Friday is that my recently widowed friend has mostly taken to her bed now. I knew that was a possibility but I never thought someone as frisky as she would admit to it (she probably only can with me at the moment). Life is so tricky. Things are just NEVER supposed to happen the way they do or the way we "tell" it to. She'll bounce back. It's going to nearly kill her to trust others to help her do that, however .

But we travel - and we get to where we're going sure and sound. *Yuck!* I sound like Mark Twain or something. That'll be 'nuff said. 'Mr. Clemens' wishes a good or better or less chaotic weekend to all.

#280694 - Sat Oct 08 2005 05:59 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

I'm also very sorry about your family's loss, CinnamOn.It is odd how tragedy creates a sense of family unity, though. Maybe it's a wake up call for those of us who remain...sort of a tap on the shoulder reminding us of what's real and what isn't.

I also want to extend a hearty 'How wonderful!' to the now Mrs. Macbeth . I hope your marriage is everything you ever hoped it would be!

Edited by ktstew (Sat Oct 08 2005 06:12 PM)

#280695 - Sun Oct 09 2005 01:58 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Might not need your good wishes Gats, but nice to have them, thanks!

#280696 - Sun Oct 09 2005 05:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

I also want to extend a hearty 'How wonderful!' to the now Mrs. Macbeth . I hope your marriage is everything you ever hoped it would be!

Is this not Mrs MollyGrue? Ladymacb29 has just become engaged, not wed - unless she is a quick worker. Or have I missed something else?

#280697 - Sun Oct 09 2005 05:50 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Oops, Sue. I meant the 'Mrs.' part to Mollygrue and the best wishes to Lady Macbeth...that's what get for depending on my faulty memory instead of re reading posts!

But I sincerely meant what I thought, everybody, no matter what I said!

#280698 - Sun Oct 09 2005 03:55 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I'll add my condolences cinnamOn, but will say it is odd sometimes how a death or disaster does bring a family closer, I've heard of it happening a number of times.

No particular highs and lows, more of a summary. My brain actually worked in a practical way for once and realised the existing broken kitchen drawer could be adapted to fit in the space for the cutlery one, so I'm now just a drawer down and have a hole in the units where it should be. The gubbins left in the cutlery trays when I cleared them out to wash everything showed maybe getting everything out by accident was well overdue. How does all that muck get in there?
My reason for broadband avoidance is very simple. We were the first test area in Britain to go on cable, long before the internet. Of course when I was in America in 1980 I watched it all the time, but it was to be another 10 years or so before we got it, and Kingsbury was first (along with much of the surrounding areas). Then when broadband arrived they found the old cables weren't able to handle that much data and instead they stopped customers switching their phone lines by charging for them whether you had one or not with the TV service (which is actually legal!). Therefore they had no reason to invest in new cables and for years they refused to. That also ruled out webTV and free games, which they actually had on TV when we had analogue, but was axed long ago as a false economy. Unfortunately that isn't coming as they say that until the whole area's upgraded it won't work, but it's a small cloud over an otherwise positive picture.

My favourite lady who works at my community centre has just left to have a baby (I was in love with her from a distance before I knew she was taken, and this has lasted despite her clearly unattainable position). We are however pretty close, and I really wonder if she has the slightest idea how I feel. It's funny how often you can be interested in a 'forbidden love' for ages and they never work it out. The fact my face lit up every time I saw her there and made a beeline for her for the last year should have been a clue, but if you don't look in the right place, you won't find. So I won't even be able to do that for a while (assuming she decides to come back, which she does intend to). Another funny thing is that if the doctors are a couple of weeks out her daughter (as it will be) could be born on my birthday! At least it's almost definitely going to be an Aquarius (though I don't believe in that nonsense! ). So by February we'll all see the new baby.

#280699 - Mon Oct 10 2005 06:57 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Thanks to everyone for their sympathies!

#280700 - Mon Oct 10 2005 08:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Bit of a low but determained to keep posative on things. Dad starts chemotheraphy next Monday at the hospital, then has nine days of tablets, then chemo etc...I think this is for six months. But I am sure we're going to get through it

#280701 - Mon Oct 10 2005 05:33 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

I'm sure you'll (all) get through it too, JaneM. Is there some relief at your father beginning treatment, as I gather this has been dragging on for some time?

#280702 - Tue Oct 11 2005 01:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JoyJoyJoy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Good Morning all! Though, maybe it's good night, It's 3am, and I'm still up! Bad habits die hard!

I was just reading the first Good Morning/Good night thread. It got me thinking (good/bad, emmm, that's undecided as of now! ) I was thinking of how I've been missing having the fun in this thread because I haven't been my jokey self (like I was at the beginning of this thread)

I wanted to share something personal. I went to a book club I recently joined. I was sharing and talking with them. It felt good to have someone to listen to me, to hear me and then I shared even more because I have felt this great need. But the need was so high and I kept sharing. I felt it was too much but everyone was nice and didn't react negatively. I even told them I didn't mean to get so personal and they just accepted that and made me feel okay.

The reason I share this is I feel I've been so needy here too. I didn't mean to react that way. Not having anyone to share my day(s), not having someone to help me with decisions (big and small) can be so over-welming. Then I feel the friendship here and want so much more! But I didn't realize I was being triggered like that. It wasn't until I was in my group, feeling it was okay to be so needy that I could understand how I've clung to my needyness. Tried to not be needy but yet, I was.

The best part is I feel less needy (least for now ) and that is such a good feeling. I just wanted to share this with you all.

Joy
So, just a warning, I'm back! (did I leave? don't answer that!)

#280703 - Tue Oct 11 2005 03:06 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Yes Ing, at least Dad is starting some treatment soon. Glad to see you around Joy!

#280704 - Tue Oct 11 2005 05:33 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Well, my "point" of yesterday (no real high or low about it, I suppose) is me! This stuff has eaten at me from toes to nose for too long now. I solved the 'getting to the bathroom' problem OK [I guess]. I quit eating much--->what doesn't go in won't have to be worried about coming out. I'm just so angry all the time now and that's not a trait I'm accustomed to as a general rule. I can be as testy with the best of them but NOT just because I have to move around a little. And furtive sleeping isn't even helping. I have the most ungodly dreams when I even catch a half hour's nap! This is all like some bad dream, really, whether snoozing or not. I always thought, I really did, that I would either wrap myself around a telephone pole or have a massive heart attack. Lights out in a hurry. This lingering business is not for me. *Just griping*

I got two, count 'em , quizzes put on yesterday. That jazzed me a little. From pumpkins to Betty Boop! Call me anything you like but I certainly can, and do, come up with just about anything sometimes.

Nice to see your happies again, Joy! And, Jane, good hopes for your Dad! Fire up that oven, too. He's likely to be hungry as heck after his chemo treatments.

I feel like I'm in such a rush! That's another thing I've basically stopped doing - paying the bills (why bother?). So my internet will likely vanish soon. I only hope I hang on long enough to see if anyone really knows that a pumpkin is truly a fruit and that Betty Boop is a nice girl, she really is [and also to see how I do on the Trivia Rounds - I really like the group who play there and never mind coming in third or fourth or fifth or even dead last]. Other than all that, I meander now.

#280705 - Tue Oct 11 2005 05:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
If anyone has the right to be angry then it is you Dave. Any normal person would be very angry at being dealt such a rotten hand.

Now I must go and find those quizzes.

Edited to add that I got 3 in one and 5 in the other - but enjoyed both quizzes.

Edited by sue943 (Tue Oct 11 2005 06:06 AM)

#280706 - Tue Oct 11 2005 08:19 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
My low. I have just received an email copying a letter to me regarding my kidney stone situation. The urologist is sending copies of the letters to my GP and urologist over here, so that will take a couple of days to arrive. He is asking for an appointment over here for me to have a CT scan, so that will take a couple of weeks to arrange, then another couple of weeks before the results get sent to him in the UK. Then he wants me to go for a ten minute consultation in England and he will then decide on the next stage. This is going to take an age, especially since we know right now what will be done, I need to go into hospital and have intravenous antibiotics before and after the stone removal, also as I am on anticoagulants I need for that to be changed from oral warfarin to pumped heparin - for that I need to be in hospital. There is no reason why the CT scan cannot be done in the UK the day before my treatment, I don't NEED to see him. I want to go back to work, I am on half pay now. This has finally broken my spirit, open heart surgery I could take in my stride, hanging about for this (and I go privately) has just about cracked me and I am in floods of tears.

#280707 - Tue Oct 11 2005 08:38 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Thinking about you Gatsby. And you too Sue. It is annoying when you wait around for ages and ages, sometimes for what seem pointless appointments. Just put your feet up, and try and relax while you wait

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943