Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#283130 - Fri Oct 28 2005 01:22 AM Calendar Trick
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

Hey everybody! I think this might amuse you. Try this algebra trick. You will need a friend to help you.

Formula: n+n+1+n+7+n+8 (take note of this formla)

Tell your friend to pick four dates on a calendar that make a square. eg. 1,2,8,9. Make sure that they don`t tell you which dates they picked.

Then tell them to add their numbers up then make them tell you what the sum of the numbers was.

Subtract 16 from this number. (because the numbers in the formula add up to 16)

Then divide the new number by 4 (because there are 4 n's in the formula)

The number you get now is the first date in their box. Then add 1 and get the second date, add 7 to the first date to get the third date and add 8 (to the first date) to get the 4th date.

Then ask them if the dates you got were the same as theirs. They were, weren`t they? If they weren`t, you should try again because it worked for everybody in my Maths Class.

#283131 - Fri Nov 04 2005 11:20 PM Re: Calendar Trick
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

Does anyone like my trick???????

#283132 - Sat Nov 05 2005 01:36 AM Re: Calendar Trick
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
Ginny, it's probably a bit complicated for most of us here

#283133 - Sat Nov 05 2005 02:48 AM Re: Calendar Trick
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

Sorry! I`ll try and explain it better.

Get a friend to add up four dates on a calendar that make a square and get the sum. Subtract 16 and divide by 4. This is the top left hand corner date, you can determine the others by adding 1, 7 and 8.

I am sorry that it was too confusing. I hope this explanation helps. If someone tries the Calendar Trick please let me know if it worked.

#283134 - Sun Nov 13 2005 08:20 AM Re: Calendar Trick
loveoflearning Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Buffalo New York USA   
Cool, I'll try it with my sister today.

#283135 - Sun Nov 13 2005 09:34 PM Re: Calendar Trick
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks so much loveoflearning. Please post in a message telling me how it went. I would love to know if it worked for you and your sister.

#283136 - Mon Jan 09 2006 07:34 PM Re: Calendar Trick
sassafrassgirl Offline
Participant

Loc: Indiana
That's really cool! I did it to people today at school because I can do that sort of stuff in my head and they were amazed! I love impressing people! Thanks!
~Meg

#283137 - Wed Jan 11 2006 11:29 PM Re: Calendar Trick
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

No problem. Glad you liked the trick.

Moderator:  ozzz2002