Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#283506 - Sun Oct 30 2005 01:34 PM Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Loc: Herts UK
I was very lucky in life to do the job I wanted to do.
I went for two (2) days work as an extra in 1966 and stayed in the biz for the next 32 years.
I've just retired and have many tales to tell, (just ask me)

Aitch UK.

#283507 - Sun Oct 30 2005 01:54 PM Re: Films and TV,
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello Harry. Very interesting Have a look around and you'll find lot of threads to interest you

#283508 - Sun Oct 30 2005 02:13 PM Re: Films and TV,
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Welcome Harry. Look forward to some of those stories.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#283509 - Sun Oct 30 2005 03:50 PM Re: Films and TV,
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
So presumably your face will be familiar to some of us - perhaps a case of 'I know that face from somewhere'. Welcome to the forums.

#283510 - Sun Oct 30 2005 04:47 PM Re: Films and TV,
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Hello Harry, as a 'beginner' in a similar field (currently waiting for a transmission schedule), though in the middle of my career, I also look forward to a shift into an area I also enjoy. I had a few attempts while at school but academia took over until recently.
You have an amazing CV there (no photo though!), so it's nice to rub shoulders with someone on the 'inside'

#283511 - Sun Oct 30 2005 11:43 PM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Good morning folks,
It seems funny how life turns out for people.When I was young (many, many years ago) I used to go to the cinema and thought I'd like to be in a film but when you leave school you have to get a job to help pay your way in life.(or that's what happened in the 50s.)
Now there seems much more chance for kids to learn about the biz by going to stage school and drama classes.
I love all aspects of film and tv and if people really want to get into it go out and give it a try. (I did)

Aitch,

Edited to remove photos - sorry but we don't allow images in posts because of bandwidth and also possible copyright problems.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Oct 31 2005 03:24 AM)

#283512 - Mon Oct 31 2005 02:24 AM Re: Films and TV,
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Hello Harry, I hope you find the forums interesting and enjoy the time you spend here. I don`t welcome that many people but a Death Star Trooper isn`t someone you can ignore!

#283513 - Mon Oct 31 2005 03:26 AM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

I thank you for the welcome and I have many emails friends in OZ.
Years ago there was a guy from Oz (Terry Creasy) that worked with me in the biz for a few years, then he got married and took his wife back home. I haven't seen him now for over twenty years and wonder what happened to him ?.
A lady from the USA wrote this about me.

www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/HarryFielder.html

Aitch,

#283514 - Mon Oct 31 2005 07:13 PM Re: Films and TV,
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

That is interesting, I've heard one of our members sing online once, but never a whole interview!

And had I been using my previous tagline you'd see we have something else in common, ie:

'Born in the USA' Bruce Springsteen. 'Born in Upper Holloway' satguru.
And on my birth certificate it simply says Islington. What a small world if you wait long enough!

#283515 - Mon Oct 31 2005 11:58 PM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Hi Satguru,
I was looking back at my ancestors and I went back to 1836 to my Great Grandad who was born in Islington but after 53 years there I moved out to the sticks of Hertfordshire to be near my five Grandkids.
Now two of them have moved to Ireland.
I go back to Islington once a year with a couple of old school mates to look at the old schools/houses and of course pubs of our youth.
It's not the Islington I knew.

Aitch,

#283516 - Tue Nov 01 2005 10:29 AM Re: Films and TV,
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I'm not actually connected with the area besides being born there, we lived in Kingsbury then as well but knew the doctor at the hospital I was born in. I did spend some years in Highbury doing my degree though so am familiar with Highbury Grove if nothing else!

#283517 - Thu Nov 03 2005 01:34 AM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

My two sons went to Highbury Grove,,,
Small world,,,

Aitch,

#283518 - Thu Nov 03 2005 01:42 AM Re: Films and TV,
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Harry in your opening post you did mention that you have a few tales to tell, I hope you don`t mind me asking a question or two.

Is there any actor/actress that stands out in your mind as being the most enjoyable to work with?

Is there any production [perhaps I have the terminology wrong] that brings back more fond memories than any of the many others you worked on?

#283519 - Thu Nov 03 2005 04:48 AM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Hi Buddy,
In the biz you get to meet your hero's from your young days and all of a sudden your working and talking to them. Some of them can be a great laugh but don't forget you only work with them for a few weeks/months and then you might never work with them again.
Some of the greats that I worked with were,,Alfred Hithcock,,John Wayne,,James Cagney,,Rod Stieger,,Tony Curtis,,James Mason,,Paul Newman,, and oh so many more.
And although you work with them you don't very often speak with them.
Fav. productions too many,
Randall and Hopkirk 1969,, Star Wars 1977,,Doctor Who's,,Carry On's,,Oliver 1968,,
Every job was different so it was a pleasure to go to work every day
You can find some of the jobs on here,

http://web.ask.co.uk/web?q="Harry+Fielder"&ste=0&qsrc=0&o=0

Aitch,

#283520 - Thu Nov 03 2005 10:36 AM Re: Films and TV,
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
You were really lucky to work on "Oliver", one of my all time favourite movies! A massive welcome to the forums!

#283521 - Thu Nov 03 2005 10:49 AM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

Hello Jane, and thank you.
Oliver was one of the best films I worked on and although I was only an extra in big crowd scenes I loved the music and the dancing of the film.
My first few days on it was the ''Who Will Buy'' scenes and although I've got the video of the film I can't spot myself in the crowds but I don't care,,,I was there,
There's a small pic on my web,

Aitch,

#283522 - Thu Nov 03 2005 07:25 PM Re: Films and TV,
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

More parallels Aitch, firstly my only stage appearance was in a local Oliver as one of Fagin's boys, which I really enjoyed doing (and not far from Islington in Crouch End), and Lionel Blair came to give us a music lesson which was a great experience. We also knew Ron Moody, who was the star guest (according to my friends!) at my bar mitzvah. It's always been one of my favourite films, and was very pleased to see it again on TV recently along with the reunion with Ron and the boys at the film studio.
If you know the place in Crouch End we may know a few more mutual friends/teachers there as it's a pretty big drama school as well and I went to classes there for a couple of years later on.

#283523 - Fri Nov 04 2005 01:34 AM Re: Films and TV,
harryfielder Offline
Participant

I did get to work with Ron Moody again but I shall always remember him as Fagin.

Aitch,

Moderator:  cinnam0n