Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#286221 - Fri Nov 25 2005 04:44 AM Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Some white stuff has come out of the sky. I don't think that I like this idea.

#286222 - Fri Nov 25 2005 04:55 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
About 30*C here today.

Just thought I'd share.

#286223 - Fri Nov 25 2005 05:50 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I reckon you should strap some tennis racquets to your feet, and see if you can walk..

PS- we only got 22C today, and rain.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#286224 - Fri Nov 25 2005 06:09 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
They are forecasting the coldest winter ever in England.
Of course they heard I was going back for Christmas for the first time in 30 years. I am just dreading the cold now. Wish I had not promised to go.My cousin says she has the electric blanket on already.Four weeks and it should warmup OK.

#286225 - Fri Nov 25 2005 06:14 AM Re: Aaaaagh!

NSW Australia
Ren.. change your plans and come down here! As usual, they are predicting the hottest summer ever. We get the same story every year- the worst bushfires, sharks and Ross River fever (mosquitos)...

#286226 - Fri Nov 25 2005 06:19 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Quote:

They are forecasting the coldest winter ever in England.

And coincidentally the hottest summer in Australia!

Ren the rest of your post reminds me of something that happened to my mother during one boiling Aussie summer. The folks were having a dinner party, and one of the young children of a guest was put down for a sleep in their bed. When the party finally ended, mother pulled back the covers and fell into bed, and promptly shot back out again. The kid had turned the electric blanket on full - it took hours before the bed was cool enough to lie on...

#286227 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:01 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
It's pretty cold in the North of England, but thankfully no white stuff!

#286228 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:18 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Many people expect Canada to be blanketed in the white stuff by now. But not here in Nova Scotia. We are experiencing mild weather (I know mild is a relative term...it's been consistantly 10-16 degrees Celsius for the month of November so far.) Not a flake of snow. Weather people are predicting a mild winter for us. I, for one, am not complaining.

Edited by Ballykissangel (Fri Nov 25 2005 08:10 AM)

#286229 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:40 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It's been wonderful here, too, except for one spell of seasonal weather. I don't know what they are predicting for this part of the country, but I have no problems with a mild winter.
I hope we get some snow though. When we don't get much snow, there isn't enough water to go around, and then next year is drought.

#286230 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:47 AM Re: Aaaaagh!

NSW Australia
We had a funny week in late October. One day it hit a hot and VERY humid 37C, and the following day it peaked at 15, blowing a gale and raining! (Farhenheit conversions are 99F and 59F). That is typical spring weather here- about the only thing that we missed out on was snow, and tornadoes...

#286231 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:48 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
That's just cos you're not in Melbourne, Oz! We had hail a couple of days ago, that was exciting...

#286232 - Fri Nov 25 2005 07:54 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
We're into our third day of winter weather. It's cold (about -9 Celcius) and very windy, with about an inch of snow blowing around. There have been a lot of the regular, start-of-season car accidents, as people have forgotten how to drive on this stuff.
The winds have died down today, and the temperature is starting to rise.
They're calling for rain and 7 degrees above freezing by Sunday.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286233 - Fri Nov 25 2005 08:18 AM Re: Aaaaagh!

NSW Australia
Quote:

That's just cos you're not in Melbourne, Oz!

Can I make that my Thanksgiving wish?

Minus 9, Skunkee? There is no such number! How do you survive that sort of stuff?

#286234 - Fri Nov 25 2005 09:36 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Quote:

Minus 9, Skunkee? There is no such number! How do you survive that sort of stuff?

Minus 9....pffff...to Canadians that's merely 'sweather weather'. Wait til you dip into the minus 20s. Now that's getting nippy!

#286235 - Fri Nov 25 2005 10:02 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

While I agree that -9 isn't that cold, it is a bit colder than normal for this time of year.
Actually last winter was a particularly cold one (for this part of the country, I know we don't compete with Alberta), and we had cold spells wehere it was 30 below (celcius) with windchill of 40 below. We weren't letting the kids outside at recess because of frostbite.
I hope it's not that cold again this winter.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286236 - Fri Nov 25 2005 10:22 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
trident Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Skunkee,

I know what you mean about people forgetting how to drive in winter weather. I find it is mostly people who come up from the cities who have the trouble mostly because the roads in the cities usually aren't covered in snow. A few nights ago, as I was coming home from college, we hit an unusually brutal snow/wind storm. We were probably going about 20 mph in a 55 mph zone. This one guy nearly got into an accident because he actually tried to pass a long line of cars in a winter storm! Luckily, the cars coming the other way had a chance to slow enough so he could slip back in amongst the ranks. I didn't know what happened to him after that as the snow was too thick to see that far ahead.

Editor: World and General

#286237 - Fri Nov 25 2005 11:45 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
About 10 cm of snow here tonight, and traffic jams for as far as the eye can see. Have to say it gives some kind of satisfaction though to be out in the snow on your bike and finally be faster than all the cars around you!

#286238 - Fri Nov 25 2005 12:27 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

he actually tried to pass a long line of cars in a winter storm

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

#286239 - Fri Nov 25 2005 12:27 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
No snow here. Surprisingly. I would have though we'd have had some, but the skies have been clear all day (I don't think I'm that far away from Jane anyway, so it might just be this part of northern England). Snow in the Channel Islands has to be pretty unusual, though, right?

#286240 - Fri Nov 25 2005 12:54 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
It flurried every now and again through the day but mostly we had a sort of hail. Nothing settled anyway so that is alright. Apparently Cornwall has it bad, Bodmin Moor has cars stranded.

#286241 - Fri Nov 25 2005 01:43 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Flurried? I dread winter precipitation here. We only get two: sleet or ice. Snow is a rarity here, but I tell you the ice sure loves us! Anyone thinks snow is hard to drive on should drive on Central Expressway (or any other Dallas freeway) on a sheet of ice. Some of our freeways have five (5) lanes one way and when you get that many cars with that many people who can't drive in the first place, then add ice to the mix, you get well over 200 accidents within a two mile radius!

#286242 - Fri Nov 25 2005 04:14 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Beautiful here today. The weather is more like what we are used to at this time of year - minus 6 (about 24 F) in the middle of the afternooon, but the air is so still, and the fog from this morning never lifted. Every twig, every blade of grass (we still haven't really had a snow) is outlined in frost. I took the dog down to the river valley for his walk - it was just gorgeous.
It has been so warm here that the river is not completely frozen over yet (it's just a little river, maybe 10 -15 yards across.) Very unusual for this time of year.

#286243 - Fri Nov 25 2005 05:09 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Aaaagh!! That means Gloucestershire! Where can I sell my air ticket? The temperature here is 20 odd. Quite nice.

#286244 - Fri Nov 25 2005 09:00 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
How much snow does it take to strand cars there? I'm just curious. We had our first snowfall the week before last. And the week before that it was in the 70's (F) here. I think we only got about an inch of snow, maybe a little less, so it was no big deal.

#286245 - Sat Nov 26 2005 01:24 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
I am in the minorty here I am sure but I love the snow.
Now let me explain,I grew up in a place where cold and snow were part of life in the winter.

I have so many wonderful memories of those days. Skating at Midnight under the Northern lights or going for a sleigh ride and then having hot chocolate and home made warm from the oven cookies.

I now live on the West Coast of our Country and it is almost a 360 degree turn of what I grew up with.
Christmas Day here can see People out mowing their lawns or BBQing the Christmas Turkey.

If and when they do have snow here it is a comedy to watch the people try and cope with it.If it is more than a few inches they close the whole city and everyone panics.

We love to sit in our kitchen window and watch the people in the apt behind us try and get up the hill from their underground parking lot.It is a great source of amusement.

Memories are wonderful things to have and I wouldn't change anything.

I hope all have a wonderful Christams.
PF

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943