Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#286296 - Wed Dec 07 2005 05:28 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Ah, but as we were saying, earlier, we're mostly set up for it - proper tires, everybody owns a showshovel and winter clothes. Driveways aren't graded so steeply, highways don't have sharp turns that can't be taken in snow, and so on.
Some newcomers have a hard time, though. My husband is working with a new engineer who just got here from Egypt. They work outdoors, no matter what the temperature, day and night. The poor guy was warned to buy warm clothes, but he really just had no idea what he was in for. It's just barely winter here - it can get a lot colder. Don't know how he will handle minus 40 - they probably won't be able to get him to come out of the truck!

#286297 - Wed Dec 07 2005 06:44 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
Minus 40? I would be on the first plane back to Cairo!

That sort of number defies belief here- you Canucks must be crazy!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#286298 - Thu Dec 08 2005 12:35 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Okay, okay, after all the talk about the cold weather it has descended upon us with a vengence. I guess it's only fair. It's going down to -14C tonight (granted not as cold as you folks in the west) but cold enough! No snow yet, though they are predicting some for Saturday. Naturally that is the night of a Christmas concert I'm supposed to attend. I know one person who won't be driving if there is even 10 flakes of snow down. I'm petrified of winter driving.

#286299 - Thu Dec 08 2005 05:51 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
It went down to about 5 C overnight, this is ridiculous! It happened suddenly too, after a warm day, so the bedroom window was still open and now I can feel a cold descending.

BTW, how's your told Sue - all bebber dow I hope.

#286300 - Thu Dec 08 2005 06:10 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
We're supposed to have a major snowstorm tomorrow, and my poor daughter is supposed to have her first in-car driving lesson. It's supposed to be 90 minutes long too.
We shall see what happens!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286301 - Fri Dec 09 2005 06:13 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

BTW, how's your told Sue - all bebber dow I hope.

Coughing and sneezing like mad but not wooly in the head. Thank you for asking.

#286302 - Fri Dec 09 2005 06:16 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ing Offline
Prolific

No problem Sue, glad to hear your head's clear at least; my cold turned out to be a false alarm, yay!

#286303 - Fri Dec 09 2005 07:27 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
EGADS!!! It is 18F (-8C). It isn't supposed to be this cold in Texas! Had to let our water drip so there would be no frozen water pipes. I'l like to say "I want to go home" but Chicago is too far north!

We had Ice all over the roads yesterday and I had to slide to work. So much for sunny, warm, Texas.

Edited by Jar_ (Fri Dec 09 2005 07:29 AM)

#286304 - Wed Dec 14 2005 06:50 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well, we're still at -14 celcius, but are looking at a warming trend expected to bring another 10 to 15 cm of snow in the next couple of days.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286305 - Wed Dec 14 2005 08:52 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
linkan Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada USA       
Ah, it feels so good not to have to see the 'white stuff' or think about shoveling this year!

#286306 - Thu Dec 15 2005 04:44 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

It's snowing now!!!

#286307 - Thu Dec 15 2005 04:56 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

Well, we have been having the best winter, so far. There have been a couple of cold snaps wehere it went down to minus 20, 25, but they have only lasted a short time, maybe three days, and then it warmed up again. It was up to as high as 8 C last week, unheard of for this time of year. Snow is all gone, just a dusting that doesn't even cover the grass. Today's temp is more seasonal, about minus 15 - still pretty good, really, considering what it could be.

#286308 - Thu Dec 15 2005 04:59 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Then I guess we're sitting pretty at -13C (at least by western standards )

#286309 - Thu Dec 15 2005 05:24 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
LMAO - that's crazy - it's going to be about 35*C here today

#286310 - Fri Dec 16 2005 07:19 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

The person in charge of the preschool room, at work, is an Englishwoman, who came to Canada several years ago. She has been living in Nova Scotia, this is her first winter here. We can tell already that she is going to have trouble this winter - I think people have been teasing her, because she is very quick to come up with an excuse for not going outside - "No, no, it's not the cold, it's just that they were playing so nicely...."
Yesterday the babies and toddlers went out - it was minus 15 with just a hint of wind - but do you think her band of bigger kids braved the weather? I think the boss is going to have to talk to her - it may not be fun, but it's the reality of life here. The kids get dropped off in the dark, and it's dark when their parents pick them up. If we don't take them out, they could go a week without any fresh air, and without any vigourous play - we haven't the space for a good romp.

#286311 - Fri Dec 16 2005 07:44 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

We only got half the snow they were predicting. The kids are disappointed that they didn't get a snow day - oh well!

#286312 - Fri Dec 16 2005 08:56 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
I'm with you, Copago.. these Yanks and Canucks are loopy! My thermometer only goes down to 0C.. and that temperature rarely happens.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#286313 - Fri Dec 16 2005 09:53 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

You guys haven't lived until you've had a good snowball fight or built a snowman!
I have to say that as wearisome as the snow can get around February and March, I would truly miss the changing seasons here.

#286314 - Wed Dec 28 2005 09:34 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Yuck! On Tuesday I woke to find white stuff on the roofs of the houses in my daughter's road. Travelled to my sisterr's home and then it fell out of the sky on and off all day and the car needed to have it scraped off before we could drive to the airport to let me come back home.

'Tis very cold here now and they are threatening snow. I went to the supermarket and bought enough food for a few days so I can stay in the warm.

#286315 - Wed Dec 28 2005 10:14 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
No snow in the north of England, but pretty cold!

#286316 - Wed Dec 28 2005 10:24 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Sheffield had it so you were lucky, so did Nottingham. Ah, I see that you are north west, it was the eastern to middle of England that had the snow.

#286317 - Wed Dec 28 2005 11:25 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
AlienGoddess Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Pleasanton California USA   
No snow where I live in California (that is extremely unusual), but I did hear on the radio that a tornado had hit a city to the east of where I live. The tornado uprooted some trees and caused some damage. Now, it probably wasn't a big tornado, especially compared to those in the Midwest and South, but tornadoes in California tend to be very very rare. Although I have noticed that small tornadoes have been forming here more often than usual. I wonder what's up with that?

#286318 - Wed Dec 28 2005 02:57 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well after 2 weeks of pre-Christmas snow, all we got for Christmas was rain (and it's still raining)!

#286319 - Wed Dec 28 2005 09:50 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
ing Offline
Prolific

I'm hot. I've just done a check of the thermometers - the loungeroom is 29.1, the kitchen is about 30, and it's just over 35 outside the back door. As soon as it gets above about 28 my feet feel like they're going to explode.

Touch wood (no pun intended) no fires so far to speak of in Aus, but the ones in Texas looked pretty nasty. Hope everyone round there is okay. I know there is ugly weather in all sorts of places, but fires I know and so they are what really scare me. Heading for the 3rd anniversary of our really bad ones, when I had to evacuate my parents from one side of town and my uncle from another, then spent 3 days on notice ready to get out ourselves. Luckily we all came through fine, but 4 people and about 500 houses not so lucky. Hope it rains soon...

#286320 - Thu Dec 29 2005 04:53 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Mmmn, the numbers are about the same, it is the scale which differs, I assume you are C, we are F! I actually left my boiler running all night, first time in years. Although tucked up in my bed, I understand from the radio that the roads had been icy today and they were telling people to leave home earlier and to take care - yesterday there were half a dozen accidents due to the ice.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943