Rules
Terms of Use

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#286346 - Fri Feb 17 2006 01:08 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
Early today it was 57F (13C). Had the windows open. Then huge storms came through with golf ball sized hail, strong winds and funnel clouds. Tonight it is 27F (-2C) with 21mph winds and a wind chill of 13F (-10C) and snow. Crazy weather.

#286347 - Fri Feb 17 2006 06:26 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The weather really has been strange. Yesterday we woke up to 3 inches of snow, having missed the freezing rain that hit some of the neighbiouring cities. Then it got up to 7 during the day with rain on and off.
Last night we had trouble getting to sleep because of the severity of the thunderstorms, accompanied with torrential rain). All the snow is gone.
This morning it's -7 (Celcius) with a windchill of -17 and flurries predicted.
No wonder everyone's sick.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286348 - Fri Feb 17 2006 07:09 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Guess it's that way a lot of places - it was over 60F here yesterday and tonight the low is 17F. Today the wind is blowing the cold front in (we are getting the weather wdwfla had yesterday) We have had a ton of freeze/thaw cycles this winter!

#286349 - Thu Mar 02 2006 01:49 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Woke up this morning to a reasonably white world - it snowed for Mum's birthday! Not very heavy snow or particually deep though!

#286350 - Thu Mar 02 2006 03:51 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
We he had some too Jane, not a lot, my warm bed is very tempting. I just looked out of the window and it is doing it again, sort of granular stuff rather than flakes.

#286351 - Thu Mar 02 2006 06:35 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
The news item below is from Channel Online, the CTV website.

Weather causes traffic chaos

Traffic ground to a halt in the Jersey this morning as commuters crawled to work in icy conditions.

Overnight snow and sleet left a thin layer of ice on roads and motorists slowed down.

Guernsey was less affected by the conditions and there are no reports of problems there.

Many people abandoned their cars on approach roads to St Helier, not because it was dangerous but because queues were forming and tailbacks of up to two miles developed.

You have to laugh. Apparently there were some twenty accidents. Two mile tailbacks? St Helier is more or less in the centre of the south coast and is the only town, the island is nine miles wide, work it out, solid jams for half the width of the island!

Oh boy, today I am glad not to have a job, at least I was spared that journey.

Edited by sue943 (Thu Mar 02 2006 06:36 AM)

#286352 - Thu Mar 02 2006 06:56 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
jill-geo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hartlepool England UK       
Weather report from the sunny north east riviera, (well we are on the coast with sand and sea) What a loverly day it is, sunshine is blinding and no snow but oh boy it is freeeeezzing.

I reckon we all got soft with that mild spell we had recently, lulled us into thinking it was spring already with the daffs and crocuses out in bloom, now they are still standing up straight but its because they are frozen that way i think

#286353 - Thu Mar 02 2006 06:59 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

They're calling for 5 cm of snow mixed with ice pellets today. I am so looking forward to it!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#286354 - Thu Mar 02 2006 07:00 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
5cm? That would close schools here for sure.

#286355 - Thu Mar 02 2006 07:01 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I saw a load of snowdrops the other day, they are so pretty.

#286356 - Thu Mar 02 2006 08:45 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

5cm? That would close schools here for sure.

Nah, most of the time they don't even close schools here when there we get 10 cm, unless it's also blowing pretty bad.
I am not worried about the snow, it's the ice pellets that give me concern.
Nothing has fallen yet, although I hear that places around us got dumped on, so maybe it's not coming.
Still...the sky sure doesn't look very friendly.

#286357 - Thu Mar 02 2006 09:48 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Well we may have floods here, and we may have hot weather and forest fires, but down here in my valley, there's no snow...whew what a relief.

My children had snow until we came here, even on the Cote D'Azur next to the Mediterranean there would be some occasionally, and when you looked up at the mountains, there would be tons of it.

#286358 - Thu Mar 02 2006 12:27 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Nothing near snowy conditions here. We reached 93°F (34°C) yesterday, setting a record that was held from the 19th century.

It's still officially winter here too.

edited to correct 3-1-06 high

Edited by dg_dave (Thu Mar 02 2006 01:51 PM)

#286359 - Thu Mar 02 2006 12:55 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

Nothing near snowy conditions here. We reached 91°F (33°C) yesterday, setting a record that was held from the 19th century.

Oh shut up!

#286360 - Thu Mar 02 2006 01:52 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

I'm dreading July at this point though. I won't be surprised to see a lot of 100+ (38C+) reading then.

#286361 - Thu Mar 02 2006 02:44 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

They're calling for 5 cm of snow mixed with ice pellets today

What the heck are ice pellets? Is it sleet?

#286362 - Thu Mar 02 2006 02:48 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Nice day here - it snowed about 8 cm (four inches) yesterday, but today is sunny and blue skied. It was pretty cold this morning, down to minus 20 C (minus 5 F) but now it's up to about minus 5C, (about 8 F). No wind, so no worries.
Very slippery here this morning, though. A couple of intersections were hard packed snow, just turned to ice by people driving on it. I was only going about 15 km/hr, and started to brake about two houses back from the corner, and still almost slid through one intersection. It's been such a dry winter, I never really got my winter driving muscles in shape this year.

#286363 - Thu Mar 02 2006 02:48 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
AlienGoddess Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Pleasanton California USA   
Quote:

I think she probably means hail.

#286364 - Fri Mar 03 2006 12:48 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

Quote:

They're calling for 5 cm of snow mixed with ice pellets today

Yes, Jill, in the wintertime, as long as the temperature is below freezing, ice pellets can be called "sleet." It's a complex explanation, but what happens is a snowflake falls and hits a layer of air above 32°F. It re-freezes in the air as much as several thousand feet up, then falls to earth as sleet pellets.

In the summer, hailstones are ice pellets that "hang" in the clouds, falling to the lower level of the cloud, then rising up by the winds in the atmosphere. Hence you'll hear about golfball, baseball, and softball sized hailstones. I had a marble sized stone hit me once and it hurt for a bit. I don't think I'd want to be hit by a larger one than that!

#286365 - Fri Mar 03 2006 01:02 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
okay, gotcha, thanks Dave Never heard of ice pellets before, lol. I've been through two huge hailstorms - we had 42 broken windows in our house alone ... not to mention the parents cars. But they're only ever in summer.

Quote:

It's been such a dry winter, I never really got my winter driving muscles in shape this year.

Can't you just imagine Canadians having "Snow Driving Exercise Classes"? 'turn the corner people, that's it, one more now, good, good. Okay, now up the hill, up up up! On the brake! Slllllliiip. Doing good people!'

#286366 - Fri Mar 03 2006 06:54 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

Can't you just imagine Canadians having "Snow Driving Exercise Classes"?

Too funny!
Seriously though, for those of you old enough to remember cars before power steering and power brakes...
I remember my aunt complaining once (when I was but a wee lass!) that she'd gained 10 pounds when she switched over from a non-powered car to one with power brakes and steering.

It has been a really strange winter for lack of snow here too, although I can't say that it's been dry because we've had our share of rain.
Yesterday towns all around us got hit with up to 10 cm of snow and freezing pellets and we got about 10 minutes of big fluffy flakes. It was so weird to see cars in parking lots that had snow on them from wherever they'd driven in from.
That's about the third major storm since January that has landed all around us but missed us completely. A woman who works with my husband drives in from a town somewhere north of Toronto, and they've had so much snow they've had to shovel their roofs to prevent cave-ins. They had 3 feet of snow on them.

#286367 - Fri Mar 03 2006 10:29 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Yesterday, we got rain then snow. About the 10 cm. Skunkee was mentioning. That is the first time we've had to shovel the driveway since about the first part of January.

#286368 - Wed Mar 22 2006 02:09 PM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

Well, I was thinking of you, Sue, this morning.
My daughter had her orthodontist appointment today, in a town about 100 km away. She had to be there at 9:00 am, and since I knew the highways would be a bit slippery, we left at 7:30. (Speed limit is 100 km/hr). It snowed quite heavily here four or five days ago, and since then it has been very windy. The highway is a two lane that sees quite a bit of heavy truck traffic, so the snow has been packed down and smoothed. At 7:30 it was still about -15 C, so the road surface was frozen solid, and I am not exaggerating when I say it was like a skating rink. Perfectly flat and glossy, not a bump or a ripple, you could have skated most of the way. I went about 60, and not too many of the fearless cowboys on our highway were eager to pass me. Limped into town half hour late.

By the time we started for home, it had warmed up. Now the highway was dry in some places, in some wet, in some covered with slushy snow, and in some shaded areas still icy. Every vehicle that passed me covered my windshild with dirty slush, impossible to see through. I think I am ready for spring.

My husband is busy just now shutting down operations for the end of the season in the northern work camps he has spent the winter in. This means, in large part, bringing down vehicles on a heavily travelled, very dangerous highway - there have been many deaths there this year. This morning, they were reporting no less than four accidents on that road as I was driving, and I know he's transporting a vehicle today. He'll fly back up again tonight, and do it again tomorrow, and again the next day. It's times like this I'm glad of those biannual driving schools his company makes him go to - he's an instructor now, so no excuse for bad driving, right?

#286369 - Thu Mar 23 2006 06:23 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
You drive at 60kph in those conditions? Here it would be more like 6kph! Even that would be thought to be fast.

#286370 - Thu Mar 23 2006 07:15 AM Re: Aaaaagh!
agony Offline

Administrator

With the kind of distances we're dealing with, there's really no choice. We can't let winter shut us down, it lasts too long. Those braces have to be tightened once a month - if I can't make this appointment, which one will I make?
You really do develop those 'winter driving muscles' after a while. I don't think I touched my brake once on the highway yesterday - we all have a very sensitive right foot, on that accelerator.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  ren33, sue943