Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#290854 - Wed Jan 04 2006 10:57 PM What Music for your Funeral?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
My mum had not specified any particular music, so we chose: "Oh What a Beautiful Morning!" and "Memory" from Cats.(Corny but she loved it). What would you choose?
For me , it has to be Eric Clapton (Wonderful Tonight, Layla, Knocking on Heaven's door, Tears in Heaven, or I shot the Sheriff) Alternatively, I suppose Dylan's "Lay,lady,Lay" might be apt.I definitely wouldn't want anything morbid.

#290855 - Thu Jan 05 2006 02:26 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Both my partner and I are reasonably good musicians, and play a lot of 'trad', because of our chosen instrument. However a funeral is a very personal choice and as far as I'm concerned there is no wrong or bad choice. Each person will pick something which is meaningful for them.

In my case the two pieces of music which I've already chosen for the funeral of a very close family member a few years ago are the haunting "Solveig's Song" by Grieg, and Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", which was very apt for the occasion. I know both pieces brought tears to the eyes of most people there, yet neither are morbid. The classical piece is simply a beautiful piece of music which gave time for reflection during the ceremony. Both pieces of music still elicit tears from me when I listen to them, but are also a wonderful memory of our child.

Edited by Santana2002 (Mon Jan 09 2006 02:58 AM)

#290856 - Thu Jan 05 2006 02:57 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
It's not a subject to which I've given much thought, but perhaps ought to as it could make one aspect of bereavement a little easier for grieving relatives.
A year ago my favourite uncle died, and at his cremation the song "Now is the hour for me to say goodbye" was played, sung by an Irish singer with a deep rich voice. It was extremely moving as my uncle always played the piano and sang this song to my aunt when he was about to return from military leave almost 60 years ago.
The funniest funeral music I've heard was at a colleague's funeral, who unknown to most of us, was something of a 'trekkie' (Star Trek fan). As his coffin disappeared through the crematorium curtains, the music played was "Star Trekking across the Universe", complete with such hilarious lines as "Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow.....". Very difficult to keep a straight face and sombre mood during such a 'performance'.
For myself the Jim Reeves classic "This World is not my Home" comes immediately to mind, but I'd need to give a lot more thought to make a final decision.

#290857 - Thu Jan 05 2006 10:27 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I don't generally think about such things, but the first composer who popped into my mind - Rachmaninov. There are several pieces which would be good [ and very soothing to the ones left behind] but the most timely would have to be 'Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganeni'. I love this piece of music because it is tender and hopeful at the same time...seeming to imply that I am not really gone, but peering around the corner someplace, happily listening in.
For those surprised that I wouldn't choose a more traditional hymn or Christian song of some kind...I would ask them to close their eyes and listen to this gentle, inviting piece of music. Whatever the pastor says in my behalf will certainly blend with "Rhapsody On A Theme.'

Edited by ktstew (Sat Mar 04 2006 07:10 PM)

#290858 - Thu Jan 05 2006 10:53 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Everybody in my family knows that I wanted Dust in the Wind by Kansas played at my funeral. I had chosen that song when I first heard it in 1977. Now, however, since that song is being used for a car commercial, I may have to find something new.

#290859 - Thu Jan 05 2006 03:29 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
DrBobWill Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WA vet home Retsil, WA, USA
hi ktstew
my favorite part of the rhapsody on a theme of paganini to play is the 18th variation. i remember one day when i was about 16 or so, i was improvising at the piano as i often used to do and all of a sudden, i found myself "creating" the most wonderful tune, at last! i have done something that is really fine--but, alas, about two weeks later i heard "my" tune become the 18th variation. what a let-down in one way but what a lovely piece.
later on, i remember playing it in the attic of a good friend's home and his sister danced while i played. the moon was full that night and it is a scene i often remember with the greatest pleasure.
peacelovejoy
drbob
ps, i thought of a less classical piece that i have played for my last class that i teach in music appeciation: "time to say goodbye" i have forgotten the two famous singers singing it (she was wife of webber? and he is blind tenor from italy--names will pop up in my memory a bit later)

#290860 - Thu Jan 05 2006 03:44 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
baldricksmum Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Poole Dorset England UK      
That's Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli Dr Bob

#290861 - Thu Jan 05 2006 05:14 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
I think maybe those that are appropriate to me would be "One", by Alanis. Everyone knows I love that song as I suppose I relate to it a little bit, but I'm not sure how happy I would be having contemporary indie played at my funeral. Oddly, I also love "One" by U2, so I suppose I could have a theme going. "Drive" by Bic Runga would also be a nice one to have. It's not very classy to have that kind of music at a service, however.

I would like "Jerusalem" and "I Will Wait For You" played, as I'm fairly religious, and it's my favourite hymn, and also one of my favourite songs. I have no idea who "I Will Wait For You" is by, but it goes something like this...

"If it takes forever, I will wait for you, a thousand years, whenever, I will wait for youuuu". Either that, or "I Will Follow Him", the hymn. I love all three.

#290862 - Thu Jan 05 2006 11:07 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
DrBobWill Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WA vet home Retsil, WA, USA
thanks
i had just now remembered who the singers were. i hate having severe short term memory loss. it happens every now and then (i usually attribute it to out of control blood sugars but they are coming back down from the very bad 500s to close to normal so i don't think i can use that much longer (i hope) as my excuse. how about being of ancient age. btw, your ideas have been going over great on my message board, i wish we could see what is on each other's message boards (sigh). you have interesting stuff--thanks again. let's see what i have i been putting there--favorite movie villain, make up some atrocious drat forgetting this something like bad puns but associated with boy's name, he said willingly type.
another idea i tried that was surprisingly successful had to do with guess what year is was born--but giving clues as to what year it could be.
peacelovejoy
drbob

#290863 - Thu Jan 05 2006 11:12 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
What a great question. I had to pre-arrange my uncle's funeral last year (he is still alive, touch what and thank who you will) and when it came to music I was utterly stumped. The only thing I can recall listening to with him (all those years ago) was Spike Jones doing "Der Fuehrer's Face", and though I'm sure it would get a giggle I can't really see 'raspberry' noises as a feature being a particularly appropriate choice. Although now that I'm reviewing the lyrics and thinking about it, it would be very appropriate for my uncle; he is, after all, the man who made the Mormon door-knockers flee down the road, when he refused to talk about the afterlife because he's immortal!

As for my own funeral, I'm really not sure. I think perhaps it might be best left up to the people who are left to arrange it (the funeral, not the music); it's more how they remember me than how I would necessarily sum up myself. Depending on who is left, most of them would probably never have heard the music I can think of to have played. There is a version of an old Split Endz song - "Stuff and Nonsense" - by Missy Higgins which I would consider. Especially if my husband is still alive...I have picked out my coffin though - a plain MDF-like number painted matte black. Sounds cheap but I really like it.

#290864 - Sat Jan 07 2006 02:45 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Dust In the Wind and In My Life By the Beatles.
PF

#290865 - Sat Jan 07 2006 11:10 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Both good choices PF. Maybe I'll borrow them.
My sister would probably have 'Seasons in the Sun' by Terry Jacks - she used to love that song!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#290866 - Sun Jan 08 2006 02:41 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
If I do have a funeral, I`m torn between having my body frozen or being buried at sea, the music I would prefer to be played is Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre.

#290867 - Sun Jan 08 2006 08:16 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I will choose to be cremated, and my ashes flung out to sea. No fuss, no muss. Nothing for my loved ones to deal with, except picking out an attractive ginger jar to put me in.

#290868 - Sun Jan 08 2006 09:47 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
emj23 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Shropshire UK
'Mayonaise' by Smashing Pumpkins. Again.

#290869 - Sun Jan 08 2006 01:40 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT Australia  
Well if we're going with Fantasy Funerals, obviously I'd want to be pushed out to sea on a flaming barge. Just for fun I'd instruct everyone to wear full-horned Viking helmets, or those 'Prussian' ones with the spike. Of course tricycles should also be involved in some way if at all possible, and naturally I'd expect wailing and gnashing of teeth.

#290870 - Mon Jan 09 2006 12:34 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Anonymous
No longer registered

I have to agree,what a great question.Personally I would like Nimrod from Elgars Enigma Variations,it is such a majestic piece of music and never fails to move me when played at Remeberance Day at the Cenotaph in London.Secondly I think I would like a bagpipe melody,nothing sombre,perhaps a reel or jig( I wrestle with the scottish octopus occasioally myself!).Finally something contemporary.No I've just thought of "I'm walking backwards for Christmas" by the incomparable Goons.Hopefully that would bring a smile to everyones face,although I think most of those at my funeral would quite pleased that the old B*%$*%%£ has finally gone.

#290871 - Mon Jan 09 2006 01:17 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Not really a "popular music" lover, but "Memories" seems suitable for me, with a few Christian hymns too. Not planning on going anywhere for a "little" while yet though

#290872 - Tue Jan 10 2006 04:58 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
I'm with Ren in choosing Clapton, with Cream, but my song is Mother's Lament:

A mother was washing her baby one night;
The youngest of ten and a delicate mite.
The mother was poor and the baby was thin;
'Twas naught but a skeleton covered with skin.

The mother turned 'round for a soap off the rack.
She was only a moment but when she turned back
Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried,
"Oh, where has my baby gone?" The angels replied:

Oh, your baby has gone down the plug hole.
Oh, your baby has gone down the plug.
The poor little thing was so skinny and thin,
He should have been washed in a jug, in a jug.

Your baby is perfectly happy;
He won't need a bath anymore.
He's a-muckin' about with the angels above,
Not lost but gone before.

#290873 - Tue Jan 10 2006 06:57 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          
Ohhh, thanks Eraserhead ! You brought back such memories for me. My Dad used to sing that to me when I was very little but I never believed it was a real song, I always thought he made it up.

#290874 - Tue Jan 10 2006 02:57 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ren33 Offline

Not a lot of people know this , but Eric Clapton has recorded that one...

#290875 - Tue Jan 10 2006 11:57 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
Eraserhead Offline
Prolific

Loc: Outer Sydney NSW Australia    
Quote:

Ohhh, thanks Eraserhead ! You brought back such memories for me. My Dad used to sing that to me when I was very little but I never believed it was a real song, I always thought he made it up.

No worries Blinky. You'll find it on Disraeli Gears (an excellent Cream album).
Edited to add:

Clapton may have sung it himself at some stage, but this version is, in fact, sung by Ginger Baker.

Edited by Eraserhead (Tue Jan 10 2006 11:58 PM)

#290876 - Wed Jan 11 2006 08:46 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Since I plan on having an Irish wake, I would insist on a few Pogues songs. Since my family hates the Pogues, I'm sure that won't happen.

I actually have a playlist of sorts for my memorial service. I'd want my loved ones to laugh and remember my sense of humor and spirit, so I chose:

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life-Monty Python
Dead-They Might be Giants
Darlin One-The Replacements
What a Wonderful World done by Joey Ramone
Runaway Wind-Paul Westerberg
Lime Tree Arbour-Nick Cave
Thousands are Sailing-The Pogues
Brokedown Palace-The Grateful Dead
Achin to be-The Replacements
Indie Queen-Marvelous 3
What's Left of the Flag-Flogging Molly
Ball and Chain-Social Distortion
Merry go Round-The Replacements
Daylight Fading-Counting Crows
A Long December-Counting Crows
4AM-Our Lady Peace
I Wanna be Sedated-The Ramones
Fairytale of New York-The Pogues
Methodist Coloring Book-The Dead Milkmen

#290877 - Fri Jan 13 2006 05:22 AM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ren33 Offline

My word Indie! What a fun funeral! Go for it!(Erm, I don't mean now, this minute! )

#290878 - Fri Jan 13 2006 11:04 PM Re: What Music for your Funeral?
ennui Offline
Explorer

Loc: Australia
Eulogy - Tool

Haha.. Joke. Would either be 15 Seconds - Belasco or All I Need - Air

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher