Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#290983 - Thu Jan 26 2006 01:14 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario†Canada††
Glad your ants are happy ing.
Excellent news Sue - any date set for the inquiry yet?

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#290984 - Thu Jan 26 2006 01:18 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Oh, I forgot, I got the results of my Word course that I took last month, I got a distinction.

#290985 - Thu Jan 26 2006 02:35 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I have pulled out of the tribunal, it was affecting my health and my doctor thought it really wouldn't be good for me to continue, too stressful. They (former employer) were making a case for why my redundancy was fair and they have a lawyer telling them how they can justify getting rid of me. I can't employ a lawyer, it would cost too much so I pulled out. Life isn't fair, then no one said that it was.

#290986 - Thu Jan 26 2006 06:40 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Blueee Offline
Prolific

Loc: Kent England†UK††††††††††
Sue, check your house insurance and see if they will cover the tribunal for you, ours does. He has the last appeal meeting on the 1st of February and that will decide if he has to go to tribunal, then the insurance solicitors will help him if needed.

#290987 - Fri Jan 27 2006 02:17 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That's great on the Word course Sue...I am also still on my Advanced ECDL, doing Excel. Shame about the tribunal but it will be one less worry for you. and good luck in your possible new job!

#290988 - Fri Jan 27 2006 03:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
This morning I received my cheque in settlement, negotiated using an arbitrator when I pulled out of the tribunal. My Social Security card and tax percentage notification slip were included together with a letter wishing me all the best and saying I can have a reference whenever I need one.

Now I move on.

#290989 - Fri Jan 27 2006 06:50 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well Sue, it's nice to get some closure.
It's a shame that the jerks got away with what they did to you, but you need to be able to live and sleep at night.
Happy New Beginning!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#290990 - Fri Jan 27 2006 09:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canberra ACT†Australia††
Quote:

with a letter wishing me all the best and saying I can have a reference whenever I need one.

That's just plain rude. Wasn't part of their argument in the first place that the quality of your work was in question? Just shows what a load of hooey that was ...right, I feel better now!

But certainly closure is good, and I hope that you can put it behind you Sue. And fingers crossed on the new job, sounds wonderful.

Oh, and apparently ants only fly when they're mating, so I guess it's appropriate to be scared!

#290991 - Mon Jan 30 2006 04:26 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Two highlights of the week...one is about to happen and the other happened two years ago!
The first highlight is that my sister, all being well, is moving this Friday. Ir is going to be so lovely to have her and her family right next door
And two years ago today, I joined this wonderful community! I imagined I wouldn't not post often...how wrong could I be! It really is a fantastic forum group!

#290992 - Mon Jan 30 2006 04:34 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Two years?!?! Where does the time go??? Happy anniversary, Jane! And that's so good about your sister

Do we have any members from Leeds in the forums?

#290993 - Mon Jan 30 2006 05:08 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
After reading Ings posts regarding ants I have spent about 4 hours searching the net for ant farms and devising my own ant farms.

Congrats DG Dave on the new position.

It will be nice for you to move on Sue, I`m sure that all that unpleasantness will be a tiny scar and nothing more in a short time.

My next door neighbor died at three this morning and I am totally lost for words to say to her husband. We moved in after the lady started dieing, about three years ago, and barely had a chance to speak with her. I don`t generally have much to say to him and don`t speak with their kids at all. I can handle things happening to me, like physical injuries, but can`t manage very well when it comes to people that I know or live near suffering physical or emotional pain.

#290994 - Mon Jan 30 2006 05:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
Great news Jane!! Here's to the next few years too!
Roos, write a note if you can't say it, but don't ignore them. You only need to say you are sorry for their loss and you are there if they need help of any sort. Just show you are thinking of them... the worst thing is to stay away from people after a loss, or so I have heard. You don't need to gush, just say you are there.

Edited by ren33 (Mon Jan 30 2006 05:25 AM)

#290995 - Mon Jan 30 2006 06:55 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Yes, roos, by all means slip a note in the box or send a cake across the fence...when tragedy hits, it honestly does help a little to know that the neighbours are there and feel kindly toward you.

#290996 - Mon Jan 30 2006 07:31 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Seriously roos, a casserole or something like that will speak a lot louder than any words.
At a time like this people have to eat, and often have relatives dropping my who also need to eat, so a caseserole or even a plate of sandwiches goes a long way.

#290997 - Mon Jan 30 2006 09:33 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
And, I might add,[ as someone who has lived through a similar nightmare] the one thing hurting loved ones hate to hear - especially if a death is sudden or especially traumatic - "I know how you feel". Merely avoid that phrase in your condolences and you can't possibly go wrong, Roos.

#290998 - Tue Jan 31 2006 04:55 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England†UK
I had an appointment in London this morning, and afterwards decided to spend a few hours sightseeing. It was a beautiful day, quite cold but with clear blue sky, so I first had a walk in Hyde Park, then visited the Wellington museum at Hyde Park Corner. This was the former residence of the Duke of Wellington, and its address was No.1, London. I then walked through St. James's Park to Buckingham Palace, where there were an unusually large number of armed police around. A couple of minutes later the traffic was halted by a group of motorcycle police, and a convoy of fast cars went past. in one of them I saw President Karzai of Afghanistan, no doubt on his way to a reception with the Queen. I carried on through the park to Horseguards parade, where one of the mounted guards on duty was black, good to know this prestige regiment is not the province of an elite white class! I then had a late lunch in a pub just off Trafalgar Square - venison casserole and an excellent pint of London Pride ale for only £9 total. after this I walked across Trafalgar Square to the National Gallery where I took in a few rooms full of 15th - 17th century masters.
A great day on the whole, marred only by seeing the 'dreadful' temporary statue of a naked, disabled, pregnant woman on the '4th plinth' of Trafalgar Square. I have nothing against statues of naked people, pregnant, disabled or whatever but this one is just the wrong statue in the wrong place. All the other figures in the square are of historic importance, and are dark grey or black, whereas this one is pure white. Elsewhere it might look great, but in Trafalgar Square it is so obviously nothing more than a blatant tribute to the 'Political Correctness' which has swept Britain and produced increased division and prejudice.

#290999 - Tue Jan 31 2006 05:09 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
It's funny when it feels like being a tourist in our own city- it takes so long to get in the centre from the outskirts it's a lot easier to go 50 miles outwards than 5 or 6 inwards, and since they brought in the congestion charge I've kept well away.

One day someone will make a day out in Kingsbury or Hendon, and if so you'll have to ask me for my address!

#291000 - Tue Jan 31 2006 06:00 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Glad to see you're back kt, and happy anniversary Jane!

I've had a few days alternately running around after uncle in hospital (again) and being flat out in bed with a flu-y thing. No time's a good one to be unwell, but I especially resent having colds in summer...

Good news is that uncle is doing much better than at first thought and should be going home tomorrow, and I am also on the improve.

Sadly the same can't be said for the ants, about half have died but I think that might be because the farm can only sustain a certain number. Interesting to watch how the survivors deal with the dead, too; I'd swear they mourn and even hold wakes...maybe your researches turned up something, Roos (or was it just the 'flying' part you were interested in?!? ). BTW, if you're planning on starting a farm, I have been reliably informed that the sale of ants in Australia is illegal, so you'll have to catch your own.

And what the others said about your neighbour, too, Roos. My mum had a horrible situation a few years back when she didn't find out the guy next door had died until a couple of months after the fact. She then didn't know if she should approach his widow or not...

#291001 - Wed Feb 01 2006 03:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Thanks for the advice people, all very helpful and I shall approach my neighbor soon and offer my sincere condolences.

Just on the topic of work I have a change coming shortly myself. A couple of months ago I asked my current boss for a pay rise and he replied that he would look into the matter. Well yea I thought you look into it and I`ll give you a month. Well I gave him a little longer and decided to start looking for another company to work for. I hadn`t made any enquiries and was approached out of the blue by another company 2 days ago. They weren`t aware that I was looking and firstly asked me if I was happy with my position, I just answered that I wasn`t happy with the money and might start looking for another company to work for. Straight away money was talked about and the job was offered to me. I gave it some thought [well not much thought actually more like "yes it will be nice to get more money"]and accepted today. My boss returned my call half an hour ago and immediately offered to match their offer, "sorry boss you should have matched it 2 months ago but it was a pleasure working for your company".

He was a good bloke to work for and amazingly successful but it was nice to say no to his bid to keep me and to know that he knows that I would still be there if only he had given me the reasonable pay rise I asked for. YEAH!

#291002 - Wed Feb 01 2006 08:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England†UK
Quote:

It's funny when it feels like being a tourist in our own city- it takes so long to get in the centre from the outskirts it's a lot easier to go 50 miles outwards than 5 or 6 inwards, and since they brought in the congestion charge I've kept well away.

Congestion charge? Why not just use the train and tube network. I travelled in from Hertfordshire using the main line, then used the underground, at a cost of £11 for a one day travelcard (it would have only been £6.30 for tube use only). I can get into Westminster in only 50 minutes by train/tube, whereas it would take about three hours by car, plus the running cost, congestion charge and stress!
My wife and I are going to an adventure travel show in Earls Court tomorrow, and she also has an opticians appointment in Camden so we'll definitely
"Let the train take the strain"!

#291003 - Wed Feb 01 2006 11:42 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
I guessed public transport would be mentioned!

After years of waiting hours for buses and using the Northern line I bought a moped at 16, and hardly touched LT since then. I like overground trains but never lived near any, so could only use them either on holidays or for long journeys. But locally I use my bike (got rid of the motorbike after not using it enough as I had a car as well) so don't drive everywhere by any means. Where I am now is a mile from one station (no bus connection) and about the same from the one with a bus. But once upon a time I had the scooter and went to work in the West End every day in 20 minutes as everyone else was stuck from Hampstead to Euston while I whizzed past. And the traffic is a lot worse twenty years later, and the public transport no better. We've got Brent Cross here so I can use, as they advertise, the 'North West End' if I need major shops, and it's one of the last places we have with free parking round here.

Mind you, if you buy anything heavy there it's nowhere near the station of that name if walking, so how anyone gets there with their shopping afterwards who knows...

#291004 - Wed Feb 01 2006 12:37 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Well it might be next week sometime, when my sister moves in, just a little hitch

#291005 - Mon Feb 06 2006 11:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
ing Offline
Prolific

Well I'm all happy because I've been trying for ages to work out how to share pictures with people online and just found the PhotoBucket thingy Roos and Sue were using for their computer room photos. Okay, so I didn't actually look for image hosting or anything, but I have been thinking about it! As a tester I've put up a pic of my mum's dog with his new little sister a couple of years back here. Pity about his eyes, should really do something about that...I was going to put up some computer room pics (and MotherG I haven't forgotten about the cats either!) but that would take far more energy than I have right now (still recovering from the effort of getting father into respite yesterday, but at least he's there!)

#291006 - Tue Feb 07 2006 03:03 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
It was Roos that made me think of opening an account there. Currently I pay an ISP £175 each year to host some space, I don't use them for my internet connection anymore, just for sharing photos - Roos might just have saved me some money!

#291007 - Tue Feb 07 2006 05:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/High and Low of Day/
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
I wish I could take the credit but you might want to have a look at this page Sue.

Edited by damnsuicidalroos (Tue Feb 07 2006 05:25 AM)

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943