Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#292524 - Thu Feb 02 2006 03:21 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
One of the presenters of QVC UK keeps beginning her sentences with "Again...", when it is not called for and doesn't make a lot of sense. She irritates me so much that I actually turn the television to another channel and once sent an email of complaint about her - aaaagh.

Before anyone suggests the 'off' button, whereas I don't mind it quiet here in the daytime I prefer to hear voices in the evening so will ahve the television on as background noise.

#292525 - Thu Feb 02 2006 03:47 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I know this is the home of giving in to the elderly, but I draw the line at the old bat (probably younger than I) who shoves her way through and takes the last seat on the village minibus (one every half an hour). After a hard day's work, I get a bit miffed and lose my 'ancestor reverence' !

#292526 - Thu Feb 09 2006 12:04 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
I don't quite get it. If there's an empty seat, why shouldn't she take it, and if there are people in her way she must have to push past somehow! Presumably those 'in the way' don't want the seat anyway?

#292527 - Thu Feb 09 2006 07:30 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Gym teachers.

I fully support phys ed in the schools - I love it that our school district has the kids take daily gym, and has not cut down as so many have. Kids need encouragment to be active, 40 minutes every day running around the gym, even for teens (especially for teens) is just great.

However. It is no accident that most teen girls drop out of gym the second they are allowed to. The same girls who will dance all night, the same ones who, at sleepovers at our house, run over to the playground across the street and fool around on the swings and monkey bars for hours (after dark, of course). It's that "play through the pain" "push till it hurts" "there's nothing wrong with you, you're just shamming" attitude that may make great athletes, but turns off the rest of the population entirely.

My daughter has very 'loose' joints - her knees move from side to side much more than normal. She's got a doctor's note, saying not to make her push herself when she has knee pain. She has been going to physiotherapy, learning exercises to strenghten the muscles around the knee. Does any of this weigh at all with the gym teacher? Not on your life. Is she allowed to slow down, play at half intensity when in pain? No. So now, I'm writing a note to get her off gym completely for the next week (at least) so she can heal from damage done last week. Who does this benefit? I've talked to this guy three times now, and he always says "Yeah, yeah, got it, no problem" but nothing changes. All I see in his eyes is contempt - yet another unfit fool interfereing in his mission to turn the whole world into athletes.

#292528 - Thu Feb 09 2006 07:55 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
In all my years of dealing with gym techers I can only remember one who was a decent human being. I can't decide if the rest were obnoxious by nature, or whether they were just plain stupid. A friend of mine suffered further heart damage because an ignorant gym teacher ignored the doctor's note and made him run laps anyway.

My apologies to any one out there who is a caring, responsible PE teacher...it's just that I haven't met many of you!

#292529 - Thu Feb 09 2006 08:23 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Well, I have to say...my experience of PE teachers (both my own when I was at school, and now my teenage daughter's) has been the same as Agony's and Ktstew's.

I was not impressed this week when daughter came home from school and told me that the teacher made them walk 5 km backwards (on a very hot day) and wouldn't let my daughter go fetch her water bottle to rehydrate.

#292530 - Thu Feb 09 2006 09:08 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Wow, I can't believe all these experiences have been the same. The gym teachers in my school system were generally very understanding. There may have been a couple who didn't care, but mostly the teachers promoted just fitness.

I think the fact that our phy ed. department decided to split up classes into themes that people would enjoy went a long way. Our high school had options that included team sports, arobics, individual sports, and weight lifting. The option to choose which type of activity really went a long way.

Editor: World and General

#292531 - Thu Feb 09 2006 10:15 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Don't get me started on the sadistic women playing drill sergeant when I was a kid.
Plus, we were herded into the gym when I was twelve and puny, freezing and then, one girl would slap me really hard and say she hated my guts. She said if I ratted on her, she'd tell her brothers on me who would kill me.
I knew if I told my parents, they'd complain and then I'd really be in for it.
So I sat there taking it. Then finally I asked the gym teacher to move me and she refused and said to stop whining.
I told her why I wanted to be moved and frankly, you take one look at me, and you'd know I had little to do with fighting. The other girl looked like an acid head even at twelve years old.
But nooo, I had to sit there and get beaten on.

I attribute my hatred for PE classes to this woman. I come from a very active mountaineering clan on my dad's side, and a couple of PE teachers and coaches on my mother's and yet, I was extremely happy when finally, I got out of PE by being a band member.

I biked to school fourteen miles a day for years, hiked, played badminton in front of the house, frisbee, flew kites and basically enjoyed the physical activities that I had besides marching in band. What a relief.

#292532 - Thu Feb 09 2006 10:24 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
When I was in Grade 9 I was having a lot of terrible migraines. Some of the activities in gym would make me have to go home sick.
My nasty gym teacher kept accusing me of lying and faking it and never cut me any slack, even when my mother wrote a note.
The headaches got so bad that they sent me for xrays, fearing a brain tumour.
Finaly my mother had enough and got a doctor's note, documenting all of the testing and issues I was having. She presented the note to the principal.
The teacher was not allowed to ignore that, but made it clear that she thought I was scamming the doctor too.
I dropped gym as soon as I could. She gave me horrible marks, no matter how hard I tried in the activities that I could do.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#292533 - Thu Feb 09 2006 10:53 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Quote:

...my mother had enough and got a doctor's note, documenting all of the testing and issues I was having. She presented the note to the principal.
The teacher was not allowed to ignore that...

In 7th grade, I had sprained my ankle, and knew I had. I did have a doctor's note, and was told to be off of it except for changing classes. A classmate got into trouble, and it forced the entire class to run around the gym until the end of class. I was sitting on the bleachers as I was excused from activities (or so I thought). The coach looked at me and said to get up and run. I replied that I had a doctor's note. He replied that he didn't care and I was to run as well. When I left class that day, I could barely walk, as I had extremely aggravated that injury. My mother went to the school the next day and let the prinicpal know about it. I think it was about 2 1/2 weeks before my ankle got better because of it. Even now, when it rains, it acts up on me.

#292534 - Thu Feb 09 2006 10:57 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am still scratching my head over Mothergoose's remark about walking backwards for five kilometres, why backwards? Totally bizarre.

#292535 - Thu Feb 09 2006 12:33 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

I'll tell you what irritates me..the lying plagiarist named Qwayzer, who bullies young kids who look up to him irritates me.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#292536 - Thu Feb 09 2006 01:21 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Must say, I was never keen on sport when I was at school. Luckily I had a reasonably understanble PE teacher!

#292537 - Thu Feb 09 2006 01:53 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Quote:

I'll tell you what irritates me..the lying plagiarist named Qwayzer, who bullies young kids who look up to him irritates me.

Anyone who blatantly plagiarizes should irritate someone. I'm with you skunkee!

#292538 - Thu Feb 09 2006 06:18 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
"I am still scratching my head over Mothergoose's remark about walking backwards for five kilometres, why backwards? Totally bizarre."

Yes, Sue, I have no idea why! School just started for us last week and that happened on the third day of school (the first day that PE was scheduled). My daughter is due to have PE again today and this morning she claimed she was sick, so while I am typing this at work, she's home sick. I can't help wondering if there is a connection. She is not the type to "wag" school but it could be psychosomatic.

#292539 - Mon Feb 13 2006 02:12 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
It irritates me no end with television producers mocernise books so that they fit in with the 21st century The current trend is with the recent Marple series, on British television. It is such a disappointment when they change the books around. They are going to put Miss Marple in a episode which isn't even a Miss Marple mystery next week!

#292540 - Mon Feb 13 2006 02:44 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Sorry, Aramis I didn't make myself clear, maybe. I meant to push in the front of the bus line waiting to get ON the minibus. There is no standing allowed.

#292541 - Mon Feb 13 2006 06:51 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Happy Birthday Ren! Twenty-nine this year?

What really irritates me is teenagers who give you the 'I know, I know, you don't have to tell me again' response when you point out an incompleted task.
Of course then, when you wake them the next morning, the wet towels are still on the carpet in their bedroom. Grrrr!

#292542 - Mon Feb 13 2006 07:08 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Ah yes, teenagers. "I know, I know, you don't have to treat me like a little kid" followed, five minutes later, with "Um, Mom? I think I screwed up here".

#292543 - Mon Feb 13 2006 12:55 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Gee I thought it was the W word that got us mothers madder...you know the one I mean?

Whatever.

I can't even type it without wanting to scream.

Just try really being serious when you need to talk to your kid, and they say, 'yeah, whatever mom.'
Mine doesn't even bother doing it, or I fly into a harpy fit.

#292544 - Tue Apr 04 2006 08:04 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
People who get pets and leave them outside round the clock and never bring them inside. This is not to be confused with hunting dogs which by nature prefer the outdoors, I mean pets, furry family members. I have a neighbor who leaves her dog on the porch for the entire day while gone to work but then even when the workday is over she leaves the dog outside. This is horrible, especially when it's snowing, raining or 20 degrees outside. I have witnessed this poor animal defecate and urinate on the porch because it never gets walked and when her mistress takes the time to step out onto the porch to catch a smoke she ignores the dog who is wagging its tail with glee because it gets no interaction. She'll finish her cigarette, flick the butt into the yard and return indoors without even acknowledging her sweet Ginger. I have reported them repeatedly and yet nothing changes.

I am also on board with those of you who despise those who leave shopping carts in parking lots. I actually was pulling into a slot while a woman was shoving her cart into my spot from the opposite side. I couldn't park completely in the spot and had to get out and move the cart myself. I said "I'll put this away for you" indignantly as she watched and she said "Thanks" to me. Then I got back into my vehicle and pulled all the way into the spot as she drove off.

What a %^&*@ !!!

People who use the term "irregardless". This is not a word. It's a redundant double negative. It takes far too long to explain why it's not word to someone when they use it, (I might be offended if some stranger were to try and correct me!) and if you do usually they just look at you like you're the one with the problem. So I just bite my tongue and roll my eyes.

And whatever happened to Customer Service? Do these people realize when they accept their position that it is what is expected of them? Sometimes it seems everybody wants a paycheck, but nobody wants to work. I was in a local store making a return when the clerk took the time to call for back up because it was 4 o'clock. I was made to stand there and wait while someone else found time to step in for her. When I questioned this I was told that it was the end of her shift and she wasn't getting paid overtime to finish up with me. How awful for her that she could make time to page a supervisor but not use that time to complete my transaction! She remains behind that counter even still.

Edited by BurgGurl (Tue Apr 04 2006 11:29 AM)

#292545 - Tue Apr 04 2006 11:18 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
hansbrinker78 Offline
Participant

Road hog motor vehicles and their drivers who think they own the road and try and run me and my small,noisy motorcycle off the road.

#292546 - Tue Apr 04 2006 11:33 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

We have a rescued dog Burggurl. She spent 7 years chained to a doghouse in northern Ontario, where her brother starved to death beside her. The last year she was there, the woman acquired a new boyfriend who beat both her and the dog to the point where the woman's married daughter took the dog to a shelter because she feared the guy would kill the dog. I don't know what happened to the woman.
When we got her, she'd already been in the shelter for 3 months. She had frostbite on the tips of her ears and Lupus on her nose from never being out of the sun (she's a white German Shepherd). We've had her for about a year, and she lives inside with us now.

I was in the parking lot of a plaza yesterday, and I saw this guy drop his kleenex on the ground. There was a garbage can not too far out of his way too. I said 'Nice.', very sarcastically, and he made some rude remark to me. That's just plain ignorant.
I hate being on the highway behind a car where someone just throws their trash out the window (unless it's an apple core or something biodegradable).

#292547 - Tue Apr 04 2006 12:10 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
Good for you! My heart breaks when I hear of such stories. For whatever reason I am such a softie when it comes to animals. I cannot and do not go into pet stores as I get upset looking at all the caged animals. I only recently began going to zoos, I think it has something to do with the way they are made to be more of a natural habitat that in days gone by. It's good to know that there are people out there like us who care about these beautiful creatures. My hat's off to you!

We already had three cats when I began noticing one stopping by daily on my porch. I started to think that this little guy might be hungry as he cared nothing for his own safety by tresspassing onto another cat's turf. So every day I'd see him outside late at night under my bench waiting for me and I'd place a bowl of kibble on the porch for him. Winter would come and the temperatures would drop to frighteningly low levels and yet still he'd arrive. We'd go away for the holidays and I'd ask the neighbors to please make it a point to put something out for him in our absence, as they were already feeding our three. Then last winter as my three sat nearby there he was again, waiting anxiously for his bowl. He'd hurry to it frantically while mine sat by overlooking this scenario. One day my DH came in and told me that the cat allowed him to pet him, signaling to me that he had begun to trust us. Not wanting to be outdone I made it my mission to pick this cat up, after all he allowed Clint to pet him! When that day arrived I took him inside and he panicked, throwing himself against the door in an effort to escape. It was 25 degrees below zero and I refused him that opportunity. The next day I took him to my vet to have him checked out, not wanting him to expose my three to anything unpleasant. I was told he had a microchip and with that serial number I traced it back to the vet here on Fort Drum where we live. That office informed me that this cat had a name: Toby, and that he was three years old and that his owners no longer lived here. They had been gone for over a year!! And there was nothing they could do to penalize these people for leaving him behind as they were no longer stationed here. They had never registered him with Home Again so I knew they weren't looking for him, so we kept him. He eventually overcame his fear and began to occupy the space on my lap as his favorite seat. He actually gives hugs, there's nothing like getting a hug from a grateful cat! Now that my husband is deployed to Afghanistan I plan on moving home. My cats are a huge issue as everyone in the family has dogs. One aunt came forward with an offer to board them, but my original three live in fear of Toby as he chases them off whenever they get too close. I think he worries that my affection for them may jeopardize his life with us. I have had to make seperate accomodations for him with a friend so that they will all have a place to stay until we return to New York next year. He's been gone for about a week now and I miss him so! We haven't even gone yet and I feel like I've abandoned him all over again. Whatever would I do without kind hearts? Cheers again to you for yours, I'm sure your dog realizes how lucky she is!!

#292548 - Tue Apr 04 2006 12:33 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Good for you for taking in a stray. I have never understood people who just abandon animals.
My cousin's wife made me sick once because she told a story about taking the family cat camping with them. When it came time to leave, the cat couldn't be found. They spent abbout 10 minutes looking for it and then left it there, never to be seen again.
They all thought this was funny but I was very disgusted, and said so.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943