Rules
Terms of Use

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#292599 - Wed May 17 2006 09:47 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Jubal Offline
Explorer

Loc: Utah USA
I agree with you. The same thing applies to freedom of speech issues. The hypocrisy definitely irritates me.

#292600 - Wed May 17 2006 03:22 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
People who say "oh it's only a spider it's not going to hurt you" or "yea it's a spider want me to throw it on you" worse than that "Oh it's only a spider, I'll leave it there till morning when when we have NO idea where it is".

Yes I am petrified of them. I freeze up, I even cry when I see them... why? Who knows, I know they won't do anything to me, but, the way they move. *Shudders" People who know me who are not scared of spiders really need to not tell me how pathetic I am for being so afraid. I've even had to leave my job because of spiders.

I've just remembered how much it irritates me when friends who don't share my phobia, don't help me, because there is a HUGE spider downstairs, and I have no friends to come and move it for me... *sobs*

#292601 - Wed May 17 2006 03:34 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
AlienGoddess Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Pleasanton California USA   
Nemmie, as we've discussed in your flies thread, I can feel your pain! Spiders are creepy! You know, there isn't a single other insect that bothers me, except for reasonable things like ones that bite/sting and ants which invade your house. But spiders scare me so badly! You're right, it's definitely the way they move.

And I hear you regarding unsympathetic people who are not afraid of spiders. My dad has even gone so far to say that at my adult age, he had hoped that I would "grow out of this phase by now". It's not a phase, it's a phobia, and I don't think it will ever go away. My apartment gets some nasty large black spiders, and I swear they have hair on them. The only way I know to kill them is to spray them with bug spray. I'm too chicken to squash them by hand! <shudder!>

#292602 - Wed May 17 2006 03:39 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

England UK     
There was one with hairs on at my boyfriends house (luckily before I met him). He thought it was a plastic joke spider until he go so close his breath made the hairs on it move.

#292603 - Wed May 17 2006 03:58 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
1cyprus Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Gloucestershire England UK   
You should realise that the last line of defence between you and your infestation is the humble arachnid,he isn't going to eat you,well not until he runs out of flies!
That stuff i recomended,has one little side effect,makes spiders 2 foot tall!

Only kidding,
nearer three

Jon

#292604 - Wed May 17 2006 04:01 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Many people are afraid of spiders. The worst one we ever saw was in Sri Lanka and it was about as big as a cereal bowl in circumference. It went under the bed and we said we'd rather not sleep in that room. They gave us a hut, but I bet the ones in the hut were bigger.

I am still getting annoyed at being hassled by charity calls, and they're getting very clever now. I can't tell someone off now as I know they need the work, but, these folks say, 'well, I understand that you can't help everyone, but, we'll just send you our envelope for a ten dollar contribution then to help those poor...whatever and whomevers'
It drives me nuts.

#292605 - Wed May 17 2006 04:01 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

England UK     
Oooooo... I am so not going to be able to sleep tonight. Can't the spider just spin a web over the soil and then leave... that would be nice of it. Mind you, spider webs, creep me out as well, they make me wonder where the owner is!

#292606 - Wed May 17 2006 06:34 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Jubal Offline
Explorer

I recently saw a television program about a guy who was a spider hunter in South America. Seems there are these jungle spiders that are several times more poisonous than black widows, brown recluses, etc...and they are very aggressive. They'll actually run up the broom handle and bite you if you try to hit them with a broom.

If you need to get rid of a spider though, get rid of its web if the spider is hidden, and keep doing it. If one is crawling on the floor, smash it with your shoe, or a brick (unless its the harmless kind, then get your significant other to capture it and release it outside unharmed). If its a really large spider, a pistol will work.

#292607 - Wed May 17 2006 06:53 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
Quote:

If you need to get rid of a spider though, get rid of its web if the spider is hidden, and keep doing it. If one is crawling on the floor, smash it with your shoe, or a brick (unless its the harmless kind, then get your significant other to capture it and release it outside unharmed). If its a really large spider, a pistol will work.

It's really not recommended to step on spiders to kill them. You could transport eggs into your home/car on the bottom of your shoe. I try to catch and release the ones I find - Karma scares me!

#292608 - Wed May 17 2006 09:12 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Jubal Offline
Explorer

Well, the time I was lifting weights in my basement and had the weights in a shoulder press above my head, then felt something on my leg, looked down, and spied a black widow, well, the first thing I did was gingerly set down the weights. The next thing I did was flick the spider off my leg and crush it. I'm not ashamed of that fact, and so far, no voodoo curse has befallen me.

#292609 - Wed May 17 2006 09:45 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Catamount Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Coquitlam BC Canada     
I sympathize with people who are afraid of spiders, because I'm afraid of wasps and their stinging biting obnoxious cousins. But what really annoys me is a mosquito humming right beside my ear when I'm trying to go to sleep. Why can't the stupid bug just bite me and get over it, no, it has to fly around my head again and again. I get under the blanket which turns into an oven and when I wake up the next morning I don't have just one bite, but 5 or 6 or more. I'm also quite allergic so they swell and itch for days.

So with deepest sympathy for your fears, I'd rather have a hungry momma spider in my bedroom than hungry mosquitos.

#292610 - Thu May 18 2006 03:36 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Bruyere - Have you signed up with the National Do Not Call Directory which prohibits telemarketers from calling you? I have and it's wonderful. I haven't received a telemarketing call in over a year.

Go here for more information:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm

Good luck!

#292611 - Thu May 18 2006 06:17 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Jubal Offline
Explorer

The answer is caller I.D. I don't have it and wish I did for those charity calls. Charities are not required to conform to the "Do not call" list. Only telemarketers have to stop calling, so I get hassled by charities all the time, even though I'm giving as much as I can already. I don't have caller I.D. either, probably because I'm spending the money for charities.:)

#292612 - Thu May 18 2006 06:28 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
How strange that charities should adopt this annoying practice. I have only ever received one sales call, and that was for double glazing. I told them that I didn't need any but if I did they just disqualified themselves as I will take a note of their name and NOT buy from them.

#292613 - Thu May 18 2006 06:44 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Caller ID is a waste of money here as people opt for their name not being shown.

#292614 - Thu May 18 2006 06:47 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Caller ID is a waste of money here as people opt for their name not being shown.

If someone doesn't want to show their name, there is always a way to block it. I will not post what the code is, as it may differ from country to country.

#292615 - Thu May 18 2006 08:05 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I am definitely on the do not call, but, still getting stuff. I made the error of contributing once as I felt bad about accepting their address stickers with little flowers on them! This is why I'm in the data base for lots of charities no doubt. The mortgage deals have slowed down to a trickle though. That's publicly available information here. I just tell them we're not the owners and thank them for calling me. That stops them and they apologize sweetly. I've worked so many dud jobs I simply can't yell at anyone on the phone.

I have caller ID but sometimes I'm expecting a call or two from someone who has a blocked phone or an indistinguishable number and I pick it up like an idiot. Or, I don't have my glasses on and can't read the screen. Then I get some charming lady telling me how she's going to mail me the envelope right away so that the orphans can count on my support. I say no, sorry, I have five of them I'm trying to do on the desk already.

The worst ones now are the law enforcement, firefighters et al, who hire organizations do to their fund raising and the employees are in another State and have no idea of the job they're doing. I ask them for the website coordinates for their organization sometimes and none of them have any idea.

#292616 - Thu May 18 2006 10:33 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I used to block all calls that didn't show up on my caller ID. The problem there is, my grandmother has an unlisted phone number. There's a code she can punch in to reveal her number when she calls, but she's 75 and not much for punching in codes. So, I'm on the do-not-call registry. I haven't gotten many solicitations since signing up, so it seems to be working for me.

On the being afraid of animals front, I get so annoyed when people say "Oh,it's more afraid of you than you are of it." I have a deep, psychological fear of snakes. When I'm around one, I actually stop breathing. If the snake is more afraid of me, why is he still breathing? I think I've got him trumped on the fear front.

Mysognists who don't admit that they just have a deep hatred for women annoy me. So does presenting false information as fact, what's the point? Any person with a modicum of intelligence can look it up and see you're lying. Skewing facts or only presenting half-truths annoys me too. Oh, and people who resort to correcting the spelling and grammar of others when they can't back up their claims. Basically, keyboard cowboys annoy me.

#292617 - Thu May 18 2006 10:43 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

England UK     
For those in England there is the TPS system. Telephone Preference System. If after a month you are still getting the calls, go to the TPS website, and register a formal complaint, the company in question will be spoken to. I sympathise with all of you who have get nuisance sales calls. And I also apologise. My last two jobs have been... telesales, so I know how a lot of it works, and if my company was anything to go by your worst suspicions will probably be confirmed. You may all take aim and shoot me now.

*hides*

#292618 - Thu May 18 2006 10:48 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

When I was little, my grandfather told me about the snakes being more afraid of me than I was of them. So, I decided to up the ante, and make more noise so that the snakes would skitter out of my way while picking berries in the woods. I took his fishing waders and tromped around making lots of noise. He wasn't too happy as I punctured holes in them with berry thorns and they took in water...but I guess he understood I wanted to make a racket to scare them.

I'm getting over my reptile fears as my son has a bearded dragon. I always greet him, 'Hey Georgie' and I've touched him a couple of times. He weighs about a pound though, kind of scary!

Why does anyone mock the fears of someone else?

#292619 - Thu May 18 2006 11:02 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

England UK     
I have no idea! Although I don't share your fear, (In fact I love snakes and reptiles and want to dedicate a room in my house to them when I get the money) I wouldn't never mock you, so I don;t know why people would want to do a thing like that! maybe I'm just nicer than the people who mock others?

#292620 - Thu May 18 2006 11:42 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm annoyed by people who always have to "one up" you. If I took a trip to the local beach, they went to the beach on another country. If I bought a car, they bought a bigger and more expensive one. If I am telling a story, they say "I can do better than that, listen". And people who are patholgical liars. Arrrrghh! Usually those two types of people go hand in hand.

(Note to Nemesis - your leg classification on spiders had me laughing out loud because it's so true)

#292621 - Thu May 18 2006 11:55 AM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Quote:

I have no idea! Although I don't share your fear, (In fact I love snakes and reptiles and want to dedicate a room in my house to them when I get the money) I wouldn't never mock you, so I don;t know why people would want to do a thing like that! maybe I'm just nicer than the people who mock others?

Funny isn't it, Nemmie? I mean considering you're supposed to be the evil one.

I never mock anybody's fears, I know what it's like to be so afraid of something you can't move, why would I want to make somebody else feel that way?

I'm afraid of clowns. Ok,you can laugh at me, I don't care. I once had a clown at a fair follow me because he heard me say that I was afraid of clowns. Well, thank you very much, Skippy. You following me for the last 10 minutes will surely erase my fear of clowns completely. Going all creepy stalker on somebody does wonders to clear up the odd phobia here and there. I was very close to cursing at him when a friend "politely" suggested that if he wanted to continue twisting balloons into puppies and swords he should leave me alone. I believe there was mention of placing a certain air pump in places one wouldn't generally want it.

#292622 - Thu May 18 2006 12:56 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
Jubal Offline
Explorer

Quote:

I'm annoyed by people who always have to "one up" you. If I took a trip to the local beach, they went to the beach on another country. If I bought a car, they bought a bigger and more expensive one. If I am telling a story, they say "I can do better than that, listen". And people who are patholgical liars. Arrrrghh! Usually those two types of people go hand in hand.

(

That is so annoying! I'm a letter carrier by profession and I have one old gent on my route that no matter how cold, windy, hot, etc., it is that day, he's been somewhere colder, windier, and hotter--and he'll spend ten minutes relating the experience.

#292623 - Thu May 18 2006 06:39 PM Re: Things which irritate or annoy you.
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
"I was afraid of clowns"

Indie, you are not alone here. I don't have a phobia about clowns but another long-time and beloved member of FunTrivia does and I am sure she'll mention it in here sooner or later.

Although I am not afraid of them, I don't like clowns. Kind of ironic considering my husband (Maynooth) is one. I just never found clowns particularly funny. They are irritating and annoying, so I guess they fit into this thread!

Similarly, I don't care for slapstick humour so I don't find the Three Stooges, Jim Carrey, etc. funny either.

Today's current annoyance for me is drivers who tailgate. A truck tailgated me most of the way to work this morning (for no good reason) and nearly went up the back of me three times. Not much I could do about it, other than slow down, because I couldn't change lanes due to the fact that I was in the lane I needed to be in to make my exit.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943