Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#295674 - Thu Feb 09 2006 02:39 PM Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I've begun to wonder, just what exactly makes something (besides the totally obvious) into a children's song? I was inspired as a child with musicals such as Daniel Jazz and Jonah man jazz, which I learnt to play as well, and love listening now to any children's music as it reminds me of the singing we did at school.

I just heard Leadbelly's Haha thisaway on the radio, and checked up here (thanks Lanfranco ) so I could get the name and artist to order, and saw slews of albums named 'children's music', and thought, hang on, is there an age limit, can't adults enjoy listening to this as well? And made me think, what takes an ordinary folk song (as many are) and designates it for children only? I have various albums of officially childrens music, including some with some traditional folk dances (by Ashley Hutchings of the Albion Band) that would easily have got in the charts, as Mike Oldfield and Fiddler's Dram (Day trip to Bangor) did in the 70s. No one called them children's songs, especially when Bangor made number one a few weeks in a row!
So maybe if a song is presented to a main audience just as a good song everyone will be able to share it, as most of the ones I know are very hard to find both on the radio and on records. Am I the only one that feels young again listening to these and should I go and hide in the corner ?

#295675 - Thu Feb 09 2006 03:39 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
Away to the corner with you!

Just kidding. I love listening to the music I heard as a child. Music that is written for children either teaches something or tells a story. Children's music usually is light, easy to sing along with and has repeated words, musical phrases, or repeated rhythmic patterns. A lot of folk songs fit those patterns.

#295676 - Thu Feb 09 2006 03:59 PM Re: Children's songs
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I will be cursing you later when I'm still singing Day trip to Bangor! And then I got thinking about other songs we'd sing as kids and 'Daisy Daisy' is in my head too.

Lots of Australian Bush songs would fit this too - learn them all at school and hardly ever hear of them since unless you hang around me and it's mostly what's in the CD player.

#295677 - Thu Feb 09 2006 04:07 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Whatever you do don't let satguru talk you into listening to Ag Pleez Deddy. It is a great song but can't get the tune out of my head.

#295678 - Thu Feb 09 2006 05:22 PM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I don't know many bush songs but does remind me of one I know well 'Click go the shears', here's a variation of the one I know words which used to both be popular here and was on a record my grandma brought back from Australia where the rest of her family lived in Sydney. Here's the original version. Is it still popular there as I haven't heard it here for ages? That's a good example of a proper folk song that we used to sing as kids but has remained one sung by all ages. Keep the childhood memories coming, there must be loads more I've forgotten.

I'll also try and return a few memories with

A sailor went to sea sea sea
Anna Marie
Nicky Nacky Nocky Noo
Donkey Riding
The emerald/golden city

Keep adding yours!

and ag pleez deddy is a good example of a song that appealed to all ages, it outsold Elvis in South Africa!

#295679 - Thu Feb 09 2006 06:15 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Some songs I remember

The Battle of New Orleans
Good Morning Starshine
Looby Loo
John Henry
Puff the Magic Dragon
Old Dan Tucker
Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts
Little Bunny Foo Foo

#295680 - Thu Feb 09 2006 06:51 PM Re: Children's songs
IamKara Offline
Participant

Loc: Toowoomba QLD Australia  
Hi, Anyone remember "Gypsy Rover"? Loved "Puff the Magic Dragon", and "Donkey Riding", geez, I can still remember the words, sort of. And what about this one; "Little Balls of Yellow Stuff", think it was about the Australian Wattle. My Mum used to sing a song called "Mr Sir Echo", can't really remember much of the words, but I can hear her voice, wow, singing it. What were "Nicky Nacky Nocky Noo"? and "ag pleez deddy"? Kara

#295681 - Thu Feb 09 2006 07:36 PM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Ag Pleez Deddy was a song Jeremy Taylor wrote in 1961 and was amazed when it sold more than any other record in South Africa details here

Nicky nacky nocky noo is an extremely obscure song based on an even older poem for children to identify parts of their body. It used to be available on a cassette called silly songs but that's been discontinued.

I know most of the words but not well enough to get them all down here, but the chorus goes roughly (adding each part in turn) toe tappers knee knockers (etc) nicky nacky nocky noo, that's what they taught me when I went to school. Anyone else know it I wonder?

Ah wdw, one I missed myself but you got:

Little rabbit foo foo hopping through the forest
scooping up the fieldmice and bopping them on the head.
Down came the good fairy and said...
'little rabbit foo foo I don't want to see you
scooping up the fieldmice and bopping them on the head!'
(And if you do it another three times I'm going to turn you into a goon!)

I know it's bunny as well, but we have the rabbit version!

(moral, hare today, goon tomorrow).

Edited by satguru (Thu Feb 09 2006 07:41 PM)

#295682 - Thu Feb 09 2006 07:54 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

With my hands on my head,
What have I here?
This is my maythinker, my teacher dear,
maythinker, nicky nacky nocky noo,
That's what they taught me when I went to school!

With my hands on my eyes,
What have I here?
These are my eyepeepers, my teacher dear,
maythinker, eyepeepers, nicky nacky nocky noo,
That's what they taught me when I went to school!

3. nose: smellboxer
4. mouth: boykisser
5. chin: chinwagger
6. tummy: braedbasket
7. knees: kneeknockers
8. toes: toetappers

#295683 - Fri Feb 10 2006 07:38 AM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Remember Merry Go Round Broke Down?

#295684 - Fri Feb 10 2006 09:27 AM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

That was Pyewackett if I remember correctly, who also played (but apparently didn't record) the Golden City.
Good to find someone with equally obscure details

#295685 - Fri Feb 10 2006 09:53 AM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

I live for obscure details!

#295686 - Fri Feb 10 2006 10:18 AM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, that's why you fit in so well here already (as it was my fault!).

Newsflash, a four year old German girl has become the world's youngest chart hit with her song 'Schnappi das kleine krokodil'. It was sung for a story, picked up by a local radio station and is now sweeping Europe.

The whole story is here and maybe my theory that children's songs also cheer up adults is correct as I would think lots are buying this 'for their kids' many don't actually have!

#295687 - Fri Feb 10 2006 11:04 AM Re: Children's songs
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Maybe I never outgrew my childhood, but I still have all my old records and plan to record them onto the computer and make MP3's out of them.

I had two different albums with Puff on them, one was all animal songs, like "What's in the Elephants Trunk" and "The Grumpy old Crocodile" and the other was mostly folk songs, like "Ha Ha Thisaway" and "Jump Down, Turn Around." I've never heard any of these songs outside those two kids albums except Puff the Magic Dragon, which remains one of my favorite songs to this very day. When I was pregnant, I heard it on the radio and couldn't finish singing it because I was crying. lol And even though I don't have preggie hormones anymore, I still get a little choked up when I hear it. So sentimental for me.

We sang all sorts of folk songs in school, as well, like "Rueben, Rueben, I've been thinking what a grand world it would be" and "Down in the Valley" and other mostly American folk songs.

I don't really think that naming something a childrens song really is meant to relegate it to children only, but to indicate that it is appropriate for children. As in, easy for them to learn and about concepts they understand. (In my opinion, a lot of "grown up" music is perfectly appropriate for children, which is why my daughter knows Stevie Ray Vaughan on sight and on hearing, and recognizes Steve Vai, John Lennon, Jimmie Hendrix and even the Red Hot Chili Peppers, among many others.) I don't think I've ever met anyone who would actually be haughty about an adult listening to so-called childrens music. But maybe that's just where I live.

#295688 - Fri Feb 10 2006 01:58 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Peanut Butter and Jelly
Fish and Chips and Vinegar
Mairzy Doats
Five Little Monkeys
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
Tingalayo
Pufferbellies
Waddaly Atcha
Skinnamarink
Do Your Ears Hang Low?
My Dog Is A Plumber
Conjunction Junction

#295689 - Fri Feb 10 2006 03:16 PM Re: Children's songs
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
I love kids' music of all kinds. I have quite a few of my old records (yes, actual vinyl ) from my youth and have started playing them for my kids. I have an old Sesame Street album, way back from when Kermit was still there, and my daughter loves that.
Some of the new kids music that's around is great, and enjoyable for adults too, I think. One of my favorites is Laurie Berkner. There are a few of her videos here. (I like the "Victor Vito" and "This Hat" songs. )
Laurie Berkner and others
I like Dan Zane, too.

#295690 - Fri Feb 10 2006 03:36 PM Re: Children's songs
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Never Smile at a Crocodile
LIttle boxes
There's a hole in the bucket (that count?)
Mud Mud Glorious Mud
Two Little boys
Jake the Peg (gotta love Ralph!)
Hello Mudda

#295691 - Fri Feb 10 2006 04:01 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

forgot all about Hello Mudda.

#295692 - Fri Feb 10 2006 05:05 PM Re: Children's songs
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
Quote:

Hi, Anyone remember "Gypsy Rover"?

Right Here! My father taught me that one when I was real little. Love it! Still sing it .

Anyone here remember "Quartermaster's Store" or "It Was Sad, So Sad, When the Greatest Ship Went Down" aka: "The Good Ship Titanic"? Yes I know these are boyscout songs, but My father is an Eagle Scout and I councel(sp?) at Boy Scout camps .

Becca.

#295693 - Fri Feb 10 2006 05:37 PM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I think we may be building a serious database here!

Down in the valley is also down by the station, as per

Down By the Station
Echo Song
Written By: Unknown
Copyright Unknown

Down by the station
Early in the morning
See the little pufferbellies
All in a row

See the station master
Turn the little handle
Puff, puff, toot, toot
Off we go!

(just had to share that!)
Of course, as my mother pointed out, it's based on the French song allouette (sp?), and this is the same tune as little rabbit/bunny foo foo. Lots of mixing and matching going on!

Waddaly Atcha is another I didn't realise had left our shores (so I bet it's probably an import here after all), and you probably remember his friend Little green frog, as in "Little green frog, little green frog why's your tail so small? I swim in a river I swim in a river I have no tail at all"

Fish and chips and vinegar is one I haven't heard for 30 years and think is probably a camping one like Ing Gang gooly, and at least four of Copago's made the charts here so definitely appealed to all ages. I also love Rolf Harris and were some of the first records I had.

Keep 'em coming!

If anyone has been moved to hear them again check this location for a pretty good selection.

Edited by satguru (Fri Feb 10 2006 05:47 PM)

#295694 - Fri Feb 10 2006 06:14 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

All the pretty little ponies
Do Lord
Shortnin' Bread
Billy Boy
A peanut sat on the railroad track
polly wolly doodle

#295695 - Fri Feb 10 2006 06:18 PM Re: Children's songs
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The song we know here as Down in the Valley goes like this:

Down in the valley,
valley so low,
hang your head over,
hear the wind blow

hear the wind blow dear (or "boys")
hear the wind blow
hang your head over
hear the wind blow

Write me a letter
send it by mail
send it in care of
Birmingham jail

If you don't love me
lvoe who you please
put your arms round me
give my heart ease

Roses love sunshine
violets love dew
angels in heaven
know I love you

I believe there's more, can't remember.

Several years ago now, one of the 75th birthday projects for our province was a song book given out to school children - all the old campfire songs, Christmas songs, silly kids songs, etc, with music, so you can pick them out on the guitar or piano.

#295696 - Fri Feb 10 2006 06:29 PM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Got more lyrics, the ex-pub rock band turned kids entertainers, the Wiggles, have just done Nicky Nacky Nocky Noo

"Hands on my waist - What is that here?""That is my waist bender, My mommer dear.""Toe Tapper, Knee Lifter, Waist Bender, Chin Wagger, Head Thinker""Nicky Nacky Nocky Noo - That's What They Teach Me at My Pirate School."

Like you wanted more...

#295697 - Fri Feb 10 2006 07:46 PM Re: Children's songs
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Ha! I learned to sing that one with a fake German accent - "That's what they teach me at achool, ja ja."

#295698 - Fri Feb 10 2006 07:55 PM Re: Children's songs
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Widdecombe Fair
Bellman's song

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher