Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#295724 - Tue Feb 21 2006 07:59 PM Re: Children's songs
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Oh wow.

I have not thought of Coulter's Candy in thirty years, Sat. Thanks for remembering it...it was also a Rover cover tune, off their first album [ 1967]?

As far as the Bunny foo foo thing, it's still a fave with kindergarten kids here in the states.

What a delightfully insane little song it is.

#295725 - Tue Feb 21 2006 08:39 PM Re: Children's songs
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Well, I just discovered a rich vein of related sites many more lyrics here , and in fact many are also campfire songs. And one I just came across was a big hit a few years ago, the fast food song by the fast food rockers. I'd assumed it was original, but it was actually a kid's song they cleverly did up commercially and made the very point I did, a good song will do well.

Here are the words and actions (some not particularly attractive, but it is for kids). I will add a ram sam sam is a Hebrew tune (well it was at my school) and was also sampled in Wordy rapping hood. I haven't heard that in full since primary school either!
Update, I just discovered though it certainly reached Israel, the song is actually from Morocco! Strangely we sang it in the minor key but the ones I've found are in the major. Chinese whispers have affected every song I've researched, mainly the words but in this case the music.

Fast Food
This is an action song the actions will be given at the end The tune to this is a ram sam sam

Pizza Hut a Pizza Hut
Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut
Pizza Hut a Pizza Hut
McDonald McDonalds
A Burger King a Burger King
Long John Silvers and a Burger King
A Burger King a Burger King
Red Lobster Red Lobster
Dairy Queen A Dairy Queen
Chucky Cheese and a Dairy Queen
Dairy Queen A Dairy Queen
Roy Rogers Roy Rogers

Actions
Pizza Hut - Make shape of a hut in the air.
Kentucky Fried- Flap elbows up and down in the manner of a demented chicken.
McDonalds - Put hands on top of head and bring out and down to produce the “Golden Arches”.
Burger King - Put hands on head with fingers up to make a crown
Long John Silver - mimic sword play
Red Lobster - hold up arms and bring fingers down on thumbs like lobster claws snapping
Dairy Queen - mimic milking a cow
Chuckey Cheese - mimic throwing up a pizza
Roy Rogers - mimic riding a horse

Edited by satguru (Tue Feb 21 2006 09:12 PM)

#295726 - Wed Feb 22 2006 02:14 PM Re: Children's songs
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
They do Fred Penner's stuff on Prairie Home Companion, too, as I recall. That's the first time I ever heard The Cat Came Back.

#295727 - Wed Feb 22 2006 07:27 PM Re: Children's songs
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
I was counceling at a Boy Scout camp this summer and was assigned as a "troop friend". The troop I was assigned to really liked to sing "The Cat Came Back", but they did it in a minor key with a really slow tempo. It sounded like a durge. Weird.

#295728 - Sun Feb 26 2006 01:56 PM Re: Children's songs
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
Funny what becomes a children's song! I'd never thought of Good Morning Starshine in that sense. Hair certainly wasn't written with children in mind, but obviously someone picked up on the nonsense lyrics of that particular song. I think oftentimes it is kindergarten and elementary school teachers who introduce certain songs to kids and in that way they find themselves into the genre of children's music. More often it goes hand in hand with folk music. I would not think of The Titanic as a children's song, but it wasn't introduced to me that way. Here's one I learned in kindergarten, The Rattlin' Bog. You may know it as The Bog (or the Tree) Down in the Valley-O.

Rare bog, the Rattlin' bog
the bog down in the valley-o

And in this bog there was a tree
a rare tree, a Rattlin' tree
A tree in the bog and the bog down in the valley-o

And on the tree there was a branch
a rare branch, a Rattlin' branch
A branch on the tree and the tree in the bog and the bog down in the valley-o

And it keeps building from there until you have to count down from a rash on the flea and the flea on the feather and the feather on the wing and the wing on the bird and the bird in the egg and the egg in the bird and the bird in the nest and the nest on the leaf and the leaf on the limb and the limb on the branch and the branch on the tree and the tree in the bog and the bog down in the valley-o (with is very difficult to sing in one breath!)

#295729 - Sun Feb 26 2006 02:00 PM Re: Children's songs
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
I was going to add that The Marvelous Toy was actually a hit for the Chad Mitchell Trio. I still have the 45.

Well, top 100 anyway. Peaked at number 43 in January 1964.

Edited by McGruff (Sun Feb 26 2006 02:03 PM)

#295730 - Sun Feb 26 2006 02:17 PM Re: Children's songs
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Indeed it was McGruff, but the Rovers did a cover, and that's the version that I'm more familiar with!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#295731 - Tue Mar 07 2006 03:24 PM Re: Children's songs
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
Has anyone else here heard of a song called "A Capital Ship" or "The Walloping Windowblind"? I learned it at the Boy Scout camp that I councel at. It's a really fun nonsense song.

Here's the first verse and chorus:
A capital ship
For an ocean trip
Was the Walloping Window Blind.
No wind that blew
Dismayed her crew,
Or troubled the captain's mind.
The man at the wheel
Was made to feel
Contempt for the wildest blow-ow-ow
Tho' it often appeared,
When the gale had cleared,