Terms of Use

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#302612 - Thu Apr 20 2006 01:35 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
LittleWoman2 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Alabama USA
Round 21

1. Name a film starring Matthew McConaughey (no TV movies).

2. Name a monument, memorial, or museum on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

3. Give me a song from the CD Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years (that's with Frank Sinatra, of course!).

4. Name a book from the Miss Julia Series by Ann B. Ross.

5. Give me a word of four letters or more that you can make from the word publisher.

Enjoy! This round will close next Tuesday or Wednesday.

#302613 - Thu Apr 20 2006 04:42 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 17

1. Bobby Kennedy and his wife Ethel had 11 children together, 7 of which were boys. Pick one of Bobby/Ethel's sons.

For 10 points:
David Anthony, Matthew Maxwell.

For 5 points:
Joseph Patrick II (3), Michael LeMoyne (3), Douglas Harriman (2).

The other two were Robert Francis and Christopher George.

2. "Jelly Belly" has 50 official flavors for its jellybeans. Pick one of them that tastes like an alcoholic beverage/mixed drink OR a variety of coffee.

For 10 points:
Cappucino, Strawberry Diaquiri, Island Punch.

For 5 points:
Pina Colada (3), Margarita (2), Cafe Latte (2).

3. Name a host, past or present, of "Jeopardy", "Wheel of Fortune" or "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" (USA versions).

For 10 points:
Rolf Bernischke (Wheel), Meredith Vieira (Millionaire), Art Fleming (Jeopardy).

For 5 points:
Chuck Woolery (3) & Pat Sajak (2) [both "Wheel"], Alex Trebek (Jeopardy) (2).

4. Select an opponent that boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini had a title fight with in 1981 [there are 6 of them to pick from].

For 10 points:
Norman Goins, Jose Luis Ramirez.

For 5 points:
Alexis Arguello (4), Jorge Morales (2), Al Ford (2).

Sad story for this "Ohio boy" boxer. In 1982 his career essentially ended after his opponent, Korean Deuk Koo Kim, died as a result of the bout. After that, though, boxing matches were regulated to last no more than 10 rounds. Mancini, an actually nice fellow, naturally never got over the feeling(s) that he "murdered" Kim. Just a little FYI there .

5. The 1939 classic "Gone With The Wind" is generally recorded with Victor Fleming as its Director which is definitively inaccurate. George Cukor started it, Fleming did most of it, and Sam Wood finished it. I'm looking for a scene which Cukor directed that made it to the final 'cut' of the movie. He only filmed 33 minutes of footage and 17 of it managed to survive the editing process. Note: No need to get too specific about the scenes (unless you want to ) - there are only 8 and I'll know which one you chose with a brief description.

For 10 points:
The Widow Hamilton tries on a bonnet in her bedroom, Burning of Atlanta Depot [except for close-ups], Evening prayer services at Tara, All scenes in and around Aunt Pittypat's house on the day of evacuation [except Scarlett stopping a dispatch rider], Ellen O'Hara returns home.

For 5 points:
Mammy and Scarlett prepare for Twelve Oaks barbecue (2), Scarlett gives Ashley a sash and begs his love (2).

One answer submitted, while a worthy guess, was incorrect.

The results!
Lotsa winners again !

cinnamOn, MaggieG, Mugaboo, ren33, ThomasForChief, trident87...each 35 points!!!
Auszev, vogon...both 30 points!!
Howie72, Santana2002...both 25 points!

Excellent contest and congratulations to the top 6 who each get a point! Thanks to all for playing.

#302614 - Thu Apr 20 2006 05:41 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 19 questions

1. A song by Ray Stevens.

2. A feature film Ray Milland appeared in (no TV movies please).

3. A movie directed by Nicholas Ray.

4. A song from Ray Parker Jr's Greatest Hits album.

5. The title of one of Rachael Ray's cookbooks.

#302615 - Fri Apr 21 2006 09:16 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 15 Results

1. Survivors of the Titanic with Last Names beginning with B
10 points - Mathida Backstrom, Mrs. JM Brown, Henry Blank, Mrs. Ethel Beane, RL Beckwith, Elsie Bowerman, Miss Lily Bonnell, George Brereton (who was a professional gambler and used the alias of George Brayton)
5 points - Sally Beckwith (5)

2. Something from McDonald's dollar menu
10 points - Side Salad, French Fries, Chicken Fajita (this is not on the menu now, but has been periodically in the past)
5 points -Fruit N Yogurt Parfait (3), Beverage (2), Double Cheeseburger(2)

3. Something other than a hand or foot print at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.
10 points - Harold Lloyd's glasses, Whoopi Goldberg's braids, Betty Grable's legs, Groucho Marx's cigar
5 points - Jimmy Durante's nose (2), Sonja Henie's ice skate blades (2), George Burns' cigar (2)
Others are R2D2's treadmarks, John Wayne's fist, and Al Jolson's knees.

4. DaVinci facts
10 points - did sketches of a bicycle, served the Duke of Milan as a military advisor, Apprentice of Andrea Del Verrocchio, suspected of being homosexual, painted the Annunciation, created a "robot knight"
5 points - died in 1519 (2), born out of wedlock (2)

5. Things found on a traditional Seder table
10 points - Tablecloth, Copy of the Haggadah, Z'roa (roasted shank bone), Maror (bitter herbs), Motzo ball Soup, Karpas (vegetable dipped in salt water)
5 points - Beitzah (roasted or boiled egg) (2), dish of salt water (2)

Results -
We have 2 winners, with 45 points each, Mugaboo, and Howie72
40 points - ThomasForChief, vogon, ren33, Auszev
35 points - gatsby722, trident87, MaggieG
30 points - Santana2002

Thanks to the 10 people who played, and a point to our 2 winners!

#302616 - Sat Apr 22 2006 01:46 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
April 22/Round 22

1. Give me a station on the Paris Metro Line 11.
2. Give me a name of a major battle that took place in China, around the time of the "Three Kingdoms" (184 - 280).
3. Name a country who has won a senior world title at Rink Hockey (A, B or ladies accepted).
4. Name one of the eight Siberian huskies that Gerry Shepherd (played by Paul Walker) uses in the film "Eight Below".
5. Give me an offical international license plate code that includes a "W" and in current usage (that's the oval stickers on the back of the vehicle).

#302617 - Sun Apr 23 2006 10:39 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Round 20 will be open for another 24 hours or so. You know you want to enter.

#302618 - Sun Apr 23 2006 11:12 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24/Monday

wdwfla and I switched Mondays so, like it or not, here I am again ...

Today I am holding a 'Full House' (three kings and two queens).

1. "The King and I" made for a watchable movie and was loosely (yikes do I mean loosely!) based on fact. The king was true to history [at least that he existed] and was one of the 9 monarchs of the Chakri Dynasty in Siam/Thailand. Pick one of them (and you may choose him). Note: they are also known as Rama I - IX but those titles won't be accepted - looking for names.
2. Beauty queens, anyone? On April 21 the new Miss USA was crowned. She was Tara Elizabeth Conner from Kentucky. Pick another state/district that was represented in the top 10 finalists, excluding Kentucky of course.
3. Larry King is a CNN talk show host who likes to wear suspenders and, apparently, likes to get married just as much. Choose one of his 6 wives.
4. The band Queen sang a song "We Will Rock You" which became a bit of an anthem a while back. In the lyrics of that song there are 5 adjectives that immediately precede the word 'man' on separate occasions. Pick one of those (one word) descriptives.
5. Kingston Co. makes cool stuff for the home and was an exhibitor at the "Kitchen & Bath Industry Show" in Chicago from April 21-23. There were hundreds of companies there but I need an exhibitor whose company name begins with the letters 'SU'.

Whew. Have at it and this will close later on - Thursday sounds likely. If you need any help/links don't hesitate to ask!

edited to include Round #; I thought that might be handy to know...

Edited by gatsby722 (Mon Apr 24 2006 03:24 PM)

#302619 - Mon Apr 24 2006 07:17 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 will be open another 12 hours or so.

#302620 - Tue Apr 25 2006 03:34 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 20 is closed, results will be posted soon.

#302621 - Tue Apr 25 2006 04:37 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 20 Results

We have 8 participants this time.

1) The 2006 Soccer/Football World Cup is being held in Germany. Please tell the name of a country that has been drawn in Group C or Group D.

10 Points: Argentina, Mexico
5 Points: Angola (2), Netherlands (2), Portugal (2)
Not Mentioned: Iran, Ivory Coast, Serbia and Montenegro

2) Please give me the name of one of the first 10 presidents of the USA.

10 Points: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson
5 Points: Martin van Buren (4)
Not Mentioned: John Adams, James Madison, John Quincy Adams, William Harrison, John Tyler

3) Please give me the name of a song from the album "We Can't Dance" by Genesis.

10 Points: "Driving The Last Spike", "Tell Me Why", "Hold On My Heart", "Way Of The World"
5 Points: "I Can't Dance" (2), "Living Forever" (2)
Not Mentioned: "No Son Of Mine", "Jesus He Knows Me", "Never A Time", "Dreaming While You Sleep", "Since I Lost You", "Fading Lights"

4) Please give me the name of a novel written by Steve Martini that includes the character Paul Madriani.

10 Points: "Undue Influence"
5 Points: "Compelling Evidence" (2), "Prime Witness" (3), "The Arraignment" (2)
Not Mentioned: "The Judge", "The Attorney", "The Jury", "Double Tap"

5) Please give me the name of a country that shares a border with Hungary.

10 Points: Austria, Slovenia, Romania
5 Points: Slovakia (2), Ukraine (3)
Not Mentioned: Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro

Before we get to the results, I have two observations:
1) No one seems to like Serbia and Montenegro, this country was a possible answer in two questions but was not selected in either question.
2) Martin van Buren is a popular early American president with 50% of participant selecting him.

That must be enough useless information so on to the results:

40 Points - Vogon, Ren
35 Points - Mugaboo, Santana, Cinnam0n
30 Points - Gatsby, Auszev
25 Points - Maggie

Thank you to everyone that played and a big round of applause to our two winners--- Vogon and Ren

Would you believe that out of my five attempts at hosting while Ren has been busy with other endeavours, she has still managed to get in the winner's circle three times.

Some day I hope to get the number of participants into double figures. Until next time, goodbye.

#302622 - Tue Apr 25 2006 04:55 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Would you believe that out of my five attempts at hosting while Ren has been busy with other endeavours, she has still managed to get in the winner's circle three times.

That's because I just love your quizzes , Howie!
I promise I will get you off the hook soon, the course ends next month.

#302623 - Tue Apr 25 2006 06:37 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Round 19 results - 11 players

Q1. A song by Ray Stevens.

10 points: Surfin' USSR, Let's do it Right this Time, Jeremiah Peabody's…, The Ballad of the Blue Cyclone, Everything is Beautiful, Sittin up with the Dead, Kiss a Pig, The Haircut Song, Harry the Hairy Ape

5 points: Mississippi Squirrel Revival (2)

not mentioned: Gitarzan, The Streak, The Moonlight Special, Turn Your Radio On, Misty, Along Came Jones, many more

Q2. A feature film Ray Milland appeared in (no TV movies please).

10 points: Terror in the Wax Museum, Love Story, Aces High, High Flight, Hydra-Monster of the Deep, Escape to Witch Mountain, Rhubarb

5 points: A Woman of Distinction (2), The Swiss Conspiracy (2)

not mentioned: The Lost Weekend, Dial M for Murder, The Last Tycoon, Oliver's Story, Till we Meet Again, many more

Q3. A movie directed by Nicholas Ray.

10 points: A Woman's Secret, The True Story of Jesse James, Lightning Over Water, Marco, King of Kings, Knock on Any Door

5 points: Bigger Than Life (3), Rebel Without a Cause (2)

not mentioned: Born to be Bad, Johnny Guitar, The Flying Leathernecks, 55 Days at Peking, more

Q4. A song from Ray Parker Jr's Greatest Hits album.

10 points: Jack and Jill, That Old Song, Ghostbusters, Girls are More Fun

5 points: Two Places at the Same Time (3), For Those who like to Groove (2), Let Me Go (2)

not mentioned: The Other Woman, You Can't Change That, A Woman Needs Love, I Still Can't Get Over Loving You, Jamie, Bad Boy, Christmas Time is Here

Q5. The title of one of Rachael Ray's cookbooks.

10 points: Guy Food, Express Lane Meals

5 points: Comfort Food (3), 30-minute Get Real Meals (2), 365 No Repeats (2), Cooking 'round the clock (2)

not mentioned: 30-minute meals, 30-minute meals 2, Kid Food, Get Togethers, Veggie Meals

SCORES

45 - Jimjih, Auszev
40 - Vogon, Mugaboo, Cinnam0n, MaggieG
35 - Ren, Gatsby, Littlewoman
30 - Santana, Howie

Thanks to everybody for playing and a point to both winners, Jim & Auszev

#302624 - Tue Apr 25 2006 08:17 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Round 25

1. A source that a power plants creates energy from.
2. A symbol you get when you press Shift and a number on the keyboard.
3. An organelle of the animal cell.
4. The name of a country that is five letters long.
5. One of the circles of Hell from Dante's Divine Comedy.

Good luck everyone!

Editor: World and General

#302625 - Wed Apr 26 2006 01:58 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Round 26 questions

Quote:

1) Name one of the 8 species of jacana
2) Name one of the 13 states of Malaysia
3) Name one of the actors (not narrators) who appeared in the docudrama movie Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets
4) Name one of the 16 men executed for their role in the Easter Rebellion (Ireland 1916)
5) Name a word of 5 letters or more than can be made from the letters in OPERATOR. A letter can only be used the number of times that it occurs.

Edited by Kuu (Wed Apr 26 2006 01:59 AM)

#302626 - Wed Apr 26 2006 12:23 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
LittleWoman2 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Alabama USA
Round 21 Answers:

1. Name a film starring Matthew McConaughey (no TV movies).

10 points: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Boys on the Side, Lone Star, A Time to Kill, Two for the Money, Reign of Fire, Amistad

5 points: Contact (2)

2. Name a monument, memorial, or museum on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

10 points: Smithsonian, Korean War Veterans Memorial, National Museum of Natural History, Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington Monument, National Air and Space Museum, Freer Gallery of Art

5 points: Lincoln Memorial (2)

3. Name a song on the CD Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years.

10 points: Luck Be a Lady, I’ve Got You Under My Skin, Summer Wind, The Lady Is a Tramp, Strangers in the Night

5 points: The Way You Look Tonight (2), Love and Marriage (2)

4. Name a book in the Miss Julia Series by Ann B. Ross.

10 points: Miss Julia’s School of Beauty

5 points: Miss Julia Takes Over (2), Miss Julia Hits the Road (6)

WOW on that last one! Was that cover with Miss Julia on the motorcycle just irresistible? No one even mentioned Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, Miss Julia Meets Her Match, or Miss Julia Stands Her Ground!

5. Give me a word of four letters or more that you can make from the letters in publisher.

10 points: piles, plushier, republish, blips, herb, lush, plush

5 points: shrub (2)

SCORES:

45 points:
Vogon
Mugaboo

40 points:
Ren33
Santana2002
Gatsby722
Auszev
MaggieG

35 points:
Howie72
Cinnam0n

Another terrific game! Congrats to our two winners, Vogon and Mugaboo, who each collect a point. Thanks for playing, everyone!

#302627 - Wed Apr 26 2006 06:40 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24 will be closing in 12 hours (or so). Only 5 players so far.

#302628 - Thu Apr 27 2006 02:21 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just me again ...

Round 27

1. Pick a female character (one with an actual name) from the 2006 big screen remake Poseidon.
2. Name a city in South Africa with a population +80,000.
3. Tell me a major character from Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None".
4. Name one of legendary lawman Wyatt Earp's full siblings (no half- brothers or sisters, please).
5. Name a group represented by a player who finished as a Top 7 Immortal in the recently completed Global Challenge here on FT.

Have fun. Any questions please feel free to ask!

#302629 - Thu Apr 27 2006 07:49 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 24
*Just 6 players this time but a mighty and valiant six they were !*

1. "The King and I" made for a watchable movie and was loosely (yikes do I mean loosely!) based on fact. The king was true to history [at least that he existed] and was one of the 9 monarchs of the Chakri Dynasty in Siam/Thailand. Pick one of them (and you may choose him). Note: they are also known as Rama I - IX but those titles won't be accepted - looking for names.

Some of these guys had different names (as I came to learn in short order)...

For 10 points:
Vajiravudh (Rama VI), Ananda Mahidol (Rama VIII), Buddha Loetla Nabhalai (Phutthaloetla Nephali/Rama II), Chulalongkorn (Phra Chula Chomklao Chayouhua/Rama V).

For 5 points:
Prajadhipok (Rama VII) (2).

2. Beauty queens, anyone? On April 21 the new Miss USA was crowned. She was Tara Elizabeth Conner from Kentucky. Pick another state/district that was represented in the top 10 finalists, excluding Kentucky of course.

For 10 points:
Ohio, South Carolina, Alabama, California.

For 5 points:
District of Columbia (2).

3. Larry King is a CNN talk show host who likes to wear suspenders and, apparently, likes to get married just as much. Choose one of his 6 wives.

For 5 points:
Alene Akins (4), Sharon Lepore (2).

4 of 'em not mentioned.

4. The band Queen sang a song "We Will Rock You" which became a bit of an anthem a while back. In the lyrics of that song there are 5 adjectives that immediately precede the word 'man' on separate occasions. Pick one of those (one word) descriptives.

For 10 points:
big, old.

For 5 points:
young (2), hard (2).

The other one was 'poor'.

5. Kingston Co. makes cool stuff for the home and was an exhibitor at the "Kitchen & Bath Industry Show" in Chicago from April 21-23. There were hundreds of companies there but I need an exhibitor whose company name begins with the letters 'SU'.

For 10 points (everybody!):
Sugatsine America Inc., Sun Mountain Door, Sub-Zero Freezer Co., Summerpine Designs, Sunny Wood Products, Supergriff/Opella Inc.

The results!

cinnamOn...45 points!!!!
AlienGoddess, Howie72, vogon...40 points!!!
ren33...35 points!!
Mugaboo...30 points!

Great job and very close scores! Congrats to our esteemed cinnamOn who gets a point this time.
Thank you to those who played.

Edited by gatsby722 (Thu Apr 27 2006 07:50 AM)

#302630 - Thu Apr 27 2006 07:59 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Round 22 will close in 24 hours, so get your entries in pronto. (5 so far)

#302631 - Thu Apr 27 2006 12:51 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Friday 28th April
1. A way you can cook eggs
2. Something you’d see in a antique shop
3. Any card in a standard pack of cards – not for example Ace of hearts, just Ace. Ace is not now accepted. Neither are the jokers!
4. An American State capital beginning with M
5. A precious gem

#302632 - Fri Apr 28 2006 06:20 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
I only have 5 entries so far so I will leave my round open for another 12 hours.

#302633 - Fri Apr 28 2006 08:16 AM Re: April Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Answers Round 22 - 5 played

1. Give me a station on the Paris Metro Line 11.
For 10 points: Jourdain, République
For 5 points: Porte des Lilas [3]
Not mentioned: Mairie de Lilas, Télégraphe, Place de Fates, Pyrénées, Belleville, Goncourt, Arts et Métiers, Rambuteau, Hotel de Ville, Chatelet

2. Give me a name of a major battle that took place in China, around the time of the "Three Kingdoms" (184 - 280).
For 10 points: Battle of Yuzhang (194); Battle of Gaundu (200); Battle of Julu (207); Battle of Chìbì (208); Battle of Wuzhang Plain (234)
For 5 points: (None)
Not mentioned: Battle of Jieqiao (192), Battle of Xiling (278) and over 250 others.

3. Name a country who has won a senior world title at Rink Hockey (A, B or ladies accepted).
For 10 points: Argentina, Portugal, Spain
For 5 points: Italy [2]
Not mentioned: England, Canada, Catalonya, Andorra, Chile, USA, France, Brazil, Columbia, Germany

4. Name one of the eight Siberian huskies that Gerry Shepherd (played by Paul Walker) uses in the film "Eight Below".
For 10 points: Shorty, Dewey, Truman
For 5 points: Max [2]
Not mentioned: Maya, Shadow, Buck and Old Jack

5. Give me an offical international license plate code that includes a "W" and in current usage (that's the oval stickers on the back of the vehicle).
For 10 points: KTW (Kuwait); WAL (Seirra Leone); WG (Grenada)
For 5 points: MW (Malawi) [2]
Not mentioned include: BW (Botswana); RWA (Rwanda); WAG (The Gambia); WAN (Nigeria);

Scores:
50 points: Howie72
40 points: Gatsby722; Ren33; Cinnam0n
35 points: Vogon

Howie's perfect score nets this round's point - well done.

#302634 - Fri Apr 28 2006 03:50 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Round 25 closes in 24 hours.

Editor: World and General

#302635 - Sat Apr 29 2006 01:22 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Hoping everybody is good to take the same days for the May rounds. Any problems...or any new volunteers...give me a PM!

#302636 - Sat Apr 29 2006 04:53 PM Re: April Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 29

1. On April 29, 1861, Maryland's House of Delegates voted not to secede from the Union. Name a state that DID secede from the Union.

2. On April 29, 1944, Dancing Romeo, the last "Our Gang" film premiered. Name a member of the gang that was in it.

3. On April 29, 1967 Muhammad Ali was stripped of his boxing title after refusing induction into the US Army.
Name anyone Ali won in a fight against in the year 1972.

4. Name a notable person who was born on April 29.

5. Name a notable person who died on April 29.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002