Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#306363 - Thu May 04 2006 05:48 AM Sending corrections to quiz authors
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Upstate NY, USA former LIer
I have sent a few notes (10?) to quiz authors in the past 6 months or so regarding perceived errors. Several of these are regarding questions that are out of context when appearing in Global Challenge (they reference previous questions which are obviously not available in the GC) which make them difficult to answer!

Anyway, I have received only 2-3 replies - are my corrections/suggestions falling on deaf ears? It is troubling to see the same "out of context" questions again at a much later date. What is the role of the Funtrivia editors in this regard? Do they monitor the correspondence or are my comments lost forever if the author ignores them?

Edited by mike32768 (Thu May 04 2006 06:03 AM)

#306364 - Thu May 04 2006 05:54 AM Re: Sending corrections ot quiz authors
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Hi Mike,
The questions for the GC are drawn from a cached database. If you look at the original quizzes the questions are from, you are likely to find that a lot of errors have been corrected already. They're just not yet showing up in the GC.

Also, even though we encourage quizmakers to respond to correction notes, not all of them do. So no response doesn't mean that nothing has happened.

As for the role of the FT editors, they review all correction notes that are sent. So please rest assured that no notes are lost if a quizmaker ignores them or is no longer around. We tend to give quizmakers a couple of days or weeks to deal with the notes though.

Leau, FT editor

#306365 - Thu May 04 2006 06:02 AM Re: Sending corrections to quiz authors
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

OK, my forums post here was prompted by my seeing one of those "out of context" questions in the GC - long after having reported it in the previous GC.

I looked up the actual quiz and indeed, the question had been fixed so it is a DB/caching issue.

Thanks!

Edited by mike32768 (Thu May 04 2006 06:03 AM)

#306366 - Thu May 04 2006 07:51 AM Re: Sending corrections to quiz authors
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
True, it takes a little time and at this point in time we don't require they answer you, but instead, that they attend to the note and we simply recommend they send you a note.

I have been answering my notes on those older quizzes from my first days as a quiz writer here, because they've been used on the daily quizzes and challenges now. However, I do explain that if I do esteem that some letter or choice needs expanding, the change won't be reflected immediately.

Mike, I was wondering if you yourself had begun the quiz writing process? That might be your next step as you would probably do well with your eye for details!
As you are seeing how to do it so that your questions won't be out of context, you're ahead of that game.

Bruyere FT editor

#306367 - Thu May 04 2006 11:34 AM Re: Sending corrections to quiz authors
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Also, sometimes the authors *think* they've sent a note to the player when they use the 'not an error' field, but they don't realize that only the editors see the 'not an error' reason.

What I've encouraged authors to do is reply to the note first letting the player know why the answer in the quiz is correct and then just copy and paste that note into the 'not an error' field to update the correction. That way, they don't have to type the same thing twice and it ensures both the editor and player know why the quiz's answer is correct.

Editor for Television Category

#306368 - Sat May 06 2006 06:53 PM Re: Sending corrections to quiz authors
mike32768 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:

Mike, I was wondering if you yourself had begun the quiz writing process? That might be your next step as you would probably do well with your eye for details!

Yes, I have written two so far (of a technical nature). They were a lot of fun and definitely written so they'd "stand alone".

Moderator:  agony