Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#306704 - Mon May 08 2006 06:45 AM Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Since I posted reply 300, I'll start a new thread. Tell about highs or lows of your day or week.

#306705 - Mon May 08 2006 06:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Glad to hear your husband's safe and sound, BurgGurl! While I'm sorry about your other associates thank God yours will be coming home.

#306706 - Mon May 08 2006 07:23 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
Knock wood.

#306707 - Mon May 08 2006 07:33 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
How much longer will he be there, BG? [ if you don't mind our knowing ]

#306708 - Mon May 08 2006 07:34 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I don't often post in this thread as I never feel my highs are high nor my lows low enough to command much interest compared to the antics of some of you. Burg Girl that is wonderful news, I cannot begin to imagine how you must have been feeling.
Now this sounds pathetic, but I have a very painful, 'clicking' thumb, it has been hurting for about a month. I cannot open cans, hold threshing puppy leads or even hold a nail polish brush as it really hurts whenever used at pressure. I have had a range of advice from people, with which I will not bore you but someone did say they had an op in which the tendon was cut and it is much better now... no thanks.
I am going to try acupuncture for the first time ever, tomorrow. Now this may not sound unusual but remember that I have lived here for nearly 30 years. The home of bonesetters and acupunctures etc etc. I never tried it, but most people say it will help. It seems a bit pricey but I discover that a well meaning Chinese friend is taking me to see the most important man in the field in the whole of Hong Kong. He has written books and been on telly.
I will let you know how it goes after tomorrow. That's if I havent mortgaged the flat and sold the jools to pay the bill.

#306709 - Mon May 08 2006 07:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Ren, I did it, did not believe it at all, then felt such relief in my lower back after a week's suffering that, I became a believer! I don't know if it was relief to have this excruciating pain over with or whether it was all the acupuncture, but I almost felt giddy, like I was tipsy.

It's not really like needles either, like little curvy wires or something.

I'd say fingers crossed, but perhaps that's not appropriate for this instance!

#306710 - Mon May 08 2006 07:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Ren, I did it, did not believe it at all, then felt such relief in my lower back after a week's suffering that, I became a believer! I don't know if it was relief to have this excruciating pain over with or whether it was all the acupuncture, but I almost felt giddy, like I was tipsy.

It's not really like needles either, like little curvy wires or something.

I'd say fingers crossed, but perhaps that's not appropriate for this instance!

#306711 - Mon May 08 2006 08:13 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Thanks Heather. I am very curious about it. It can't do any harm and if it helps well good -oh eh??

#306712 - Mon May 08 2006 08:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

He only left at the end of February... I don't know how I will make it another 10 months after such a close call. It's human nature to worry anyway but to have something like this hit so close to home I am becoming a nervous wreck. I have to try to remain positive and have faith and all that but right now this is so fresh that I feel like I can't rejoice too much. It's just too much to bear.

Ren, maybe you are beyond this now, but have you tried getting cortisone shots in that area? It sounds like it might be arthritic. I know that something like that can ruin a girl's day, with everything we have to do!

#306713 - Mon May 08 2006 08:15 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

That's certainly a thought, but will see how this goes first.Thanks for that.

#306714 - Mon May 08 2006 08:33 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

We are here, BG, whenever you feel like letting off steam.

#306715 - Mon May 08 2006 09:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks for that. I know I could have bigger problems. He's the one who should be worried, with everything that's going on around him. I know he's got a good head on his shoulders and can keep in together in times of stress so I just have to believe he'll be okay.

Thanks for all your kind words of support everyone, I needed that.

#306716 - Mon May 08 2006 10:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I am so relieved for you. I don't know how you hold it together - I couldnm't under those circumstances!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#306717 - Mon May 08 2006 10:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
We're all here for you BurgGurl - and we're here for everyone else too Like a massive extended Funtrivia family

#306718 - Mon May 08 2006 11:17 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Miss Ren - isn't there something you could take for that thumb, to at least dull the pain [ an arthritis OTC med?] I am not all that choked up about acupuncture, since it didn't work for me.

Let's hope it will do something for you, though.

#306719 - Mon May 08 2006 11:23 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

I think that the three times I had it, it had such a dramatic effect that I'd recommend others give it a try.
In Europe I drove a standard shift (as I do in America as well but it's unusual) and I literally could barely drive and turn my head etc to get to the doctor's place.
I also did not believe it, and laughed hysterically, then realized, that, I felt so giddy all of a sudden because the pain was almost gone. He looked at me and said, 'so you doubted me?' I said, 'I'm sorry, but, I really didn't think this would work!'

#306720 - Mon May 08 2006 11:29 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Well now I feel better about loafing on the internet, I can call it my therapy session now! I'm like Ren, I don't think my day-to-day stuff warrants a sniff even if it's giving me grief, but when it's good news like that I had to spread the word.. I've been talking to friends locally and in Tennessee, Athens Greece, California, Pittsburgh and Belgium today. Not to mention I got to speak to my husband this morning for the first time in over a week. I hope you all are having as good a day as me, even if it's tomorrow for some of you! Now how about a group hug?

#306721 - Mon May 08 2006 12:06 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I'll see if I can add anything on the acupuncture, as I've had it for just about everything though the only time it definitely worked was also for back pain, a long standing vertebral problem he got rid of in one go.
Unless they are doing something unusual the curvy wires aren't the needles, but attached to them in order to vibrate them for the whole session. Under those wires should be the usual needles, and shows you rarely feel them go in.

Feeling dizzy after a treatment is normal many times, sometimes they warn you in advance, and means something is clearly being shifted around besides just having localised effects. It also totally cleared my father's arthritis in his hands so is definitely effective for muscular and joint pain.

#306722 - Mon May 08 2006 06:21 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JoyJoyJoy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Wisconsin USA
BurgGurL,

I'm glad to hear of your good news. This war has touched so many lives and I hope you know your family's sacrifice (and others) is appreciated.

Edited by JoyJoyJoy (Mon May 08 2006 06:39 PM)

#306723 - Tue May 09 2006 12:10 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Burg-girl I am so glad your Husband is ok.I shall keep you both in my prayers and thoughts.
Ren how did the acupuncture go?Was it painful? What was this Famous man like?
I am curious to hear how it went.
PF

#306724 - Tue May 09 2006 12:38 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Yes, ren, please let us know all about it! I'm sure everyone is curious!

#306725 - Tue May 09 2006 03:31 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Well, thanks for your interest! He was quite a distinguished looking man. It is a modest but clean place in the middle of Causeway Bay on the Island, which is a very crowded area. There were pictures of the acupuncturist around the walls, one of which showed a man with needles in all around his eyes, lying down with lots of people looking on. Apparently in his younger days he had cured a wealthy Japanese of blindness! (impressive).
I got my pulse taken and asked a few questions about where the pain was , did I sleep OK etc. Then he prepped the area around my thumb with alcohol (I think ) and I lay down. First. in went the needles. Now many people say it is nothing, you won't feel anything much, but I thought that bit was a bit painful. I think I felt about 5 fairly sharp pin pricks and then he connected these to the electric wires and switched on. It sort of pulsed then and sent a flutter through the area every second or two. Not too pleasant but not too bad either.Fifteen minutes of that. I lay still and alone, I couldn't really nap , but at least I could rest a bit. Then it was disconnected, wiped with alcohol again and joint cream rubbed in .
I paid and left He had told me I needed three treatments altogether. I had refused his offer of medicine to be taken too. Chinese medicine makes me dizzy and I don't like taking stuff at all.
I guess it feels a little better, but we will see. He also said (nice , this) that as I was old, this condition would probably return in 3 years. I am not bowled over with enthusiasm, yet.

#306726 - Tue May 09 2006 04:53 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I have had TCM for about 20 years Ren, the person who does (did) my acupuncture etc also used a little electric box, but not always. I think it is wonderful.

#306727 - Tue May 09 2006 05:45 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
I had said in a post in the last thread that I might be going back to my home store. Next Monday is my last day at the "borrowed" store!

#306728 - Tue May 09 2006 06:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Great news Dave

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943