Rules
Terms of Use

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#306979 - Tue Aug 01 2006 06:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Way to go Sue!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#306980 - Tue Aug 01 2006 08:02 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Glad to see things are finally evening out a little for you, Sue. It's about time.

#306981 - Wed Aug 02 2006 08:53 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Great to see things going positive for you Sue!

#306982 - Thu Aug 03 2006 02:05 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
You have to laugh. Despite being told that I have no kidney stones I have still been having the discomfort which I associate with them, and the passing of small ones. The radiologist said that after lithotripsy it is not uncommon to have discomfort - funny no one warned me of that. Anyway, this morning for some strange reason, call it intuition if you want, I decided to 'do a catch'. Bah, about 100 minute grains plus one of 3mm, no stones indeed! I see the urologist on the 15th so I will mention it to him when he officially tells me that I have no stones.

#306983 - Thu Aug 03 2006 03:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
pythongirl Offline
Forum Adept

^^^^^good luck with it all.

#306984 - Sun Aug 06 2006 02:40 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Yuk. I didn't care for Saturday (which means, I reckon, that I had more marginally low points than high ones). Dreams. Where do they come from and, more importantly, what is their purpose at the end of things [and I'm talking about dreams in the literal sense - those blurry beasts you have when asleep]? Anyway, I had a dream while napping that, goody for me, I remembered clearly and still do hours later. It was a re-enactment, really, of a montage of events that really happened some decades ago, which I thought I'd forgotten about. Apparently I didn't . There was my mother, in full regalia and somehow considering herself the Queen of the Nile, Bonnie Parker toting a handgun. I can't describe it well enough - but you get most of the picture. She had the world by the midsection and, for that moment, had it grasped with mighty force. She was giving my brother and me our lesson on 'Life & How It Is Lived'. Ahem. Choke. Spit. "I am allowed to say anything I want to, anything at all. And as long as one person believes it, that makes it the truth."
Huh ? I could have lived out the rest of my days nicely NOT remembering those conversations, thanks. Once again, the bug landed in my ear: maybe that dreadful pearl of wisdom actually landed in my psyche somewhere. Maybe it became some part of "me"? Then I remember that it did - but not the way that it was supposed to. I look at and usually present the truth face first and without much glitter or poster paint. I also don't think that the truth has anything to do with a popular vote. And I also understand better, having been given that little rerun in my sleep yesterday, exactly how my situation sits the way it sits at the moment.
I know it's a commandment broken but I'm going to say it anyway: my Mother deserves a bit of honor, I suppose, but not much more than just the bare minimum. Her peahen nonsense that she had the power to fool the world (and that the rest of us should follow her example) was nuts and affected more lives than she had the square inch of sense to realize. And, unfortunately, will likely affect lives that haven't even started yet. Blech to that and blech to her meanderings.
And if I ever have that dream/memory again I hope that somebody has the good sense to insert a loud laugh track in it somewhere. Maybe everywhere.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Aug 06 2006 03:18 AM)

#306985 - Sun Aug 06 2006 04:52 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
My low of the week: I'm home again. I had the most wonderful 5 weeks in Australia, but unfortunately all good things must come to an end. So now I'm here at home and I want to go back!

#306986 - Sun Aug 06 2006 05:16 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
How about posting some details of what you have seen and done in The World Around Us forum? You could perhaps post links to some photos too, we would enjoy that.

Delighted that you had a good time, sorry that you are sad to be home.

#306987 - Sun Aug 06 2006 05:18 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Just noticed Ren's new avatar, is that some species of bat?

#306988 - Sun Aug 06 2006 05:21 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
pythongirl Offline
Forum Adept

Good Morning all-as always, I'm happy on a Sunday, been to the hobbycraft store and bought loads of supplies, so I'll be doing some arts and crafts this afternoon.

#306989 - Sun Aug 06 2006 06:25 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Just noticed Ren's new avatar, is that some species of bat?

No dear, I am sure we have quite enough bats around here.

#306990 - Mon Aug 07 2006 11:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Oh yes, Leau, please tell us more. I know how you were looking forward to the trip.

My low: I left my sister this morning where I've been visiting her in another state for the past few days. We had so much fun together. I don't get to see her very often, so I was sad to leave because I don't know when I'll get with her again.

My high: Now I'm at my parent's house visiting with them and tomorrow my husband will be returning from his trip.

#306991 - Thu Aug 10 2006 12:16 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Not posted in one of my personal "favourite threads" for a little while Me and Mum are getting along with our lives as much as we can. I, personally, am looking forward when my college course restarts, so I can get back to some normality. I only go once a week (still on Advanced ECDL Excel) but even that one morning a week breaks up the week.
Highlight of last few weeks, discovering "Les Miserables" DVD. Not seen it performed on stage but very much like to when it comes to our local theatre. Some musicals help make the day not so bad...they do for me anyway!

#306992 - Fri Aug 11 2006 11:55 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Another highlight for me today, my sister, her husband and my two nieces (and their friends) came home safe and sound, off their two week cruise!

#306993 - Wed Aug 16 2006 12:25 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Last week-end I participated in a 'Festival of History', which involved re-enactments of battles and scenarios of everyday living throughout British history. There were Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, medieval knights, Tudors and Elizabethans, English Civil War (my area of activity), Napoleonics, WWI & WWII, including U.S., Russian, German and British forces, aerial dogfights with monoplanes, bi-planes and even a tri-plane, and many others. There were a couple of thousand participants, all with authentic camps, and even temporary villages, etc, set up specially for the event. Trades such as blacksmiths, ropemakers, fletchers (arrow-makers), carpenters, and many others were everywhere, all in period costumes using period tools.
The 'low' was that it rained all Saturday night and Sunday morning, which after weeks of drought was unlucky, though it didn't stop any of the action.
The 'high' was definitely the final battle scenario when, following the final mass parade of participants, an impromptu battle took place in the main arena involving everyone. Imagine if you can an army of Saxons, Tudors and Romans charging one composed of Vikings and English Civil pikemen and musketeers, with WWII U.S. GI's joining in only to be attacked by a group of Napoleonic troops - muskets against automatics. Changing sides was routine as the 'battle' progressed - you had no idea who was friend or enemy anyway! Swords and pikes clashing, muskets and rifles banging away, and a lot of shouting and screaming! Being in the thick of it, you don't get the full impression, but the crowd certainly enjoyed it, and I'd love to see a video sometime!

Edited by aramis (Wed Aug 16 2006 12:36 AM)

#306994 - Wed Aug 16 2006 01:41 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Sounds like fun, aramis. Glad the rain didn't spoil things.

#306995 - Wed Aug 16 2006 06:05 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

I would LOVE to stumble onto something like that here in the States...we seem to have our share of Civil War re -enactors and medievel fairs here. But I have never seen a mixture of centuries like the one you described. It's a fascinating idea.

#306996 - Tue Aug 22 2006 09:36 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Oh dearie dearie me...
Now I am learning how hard fame really is to achieve. The programme I was filmed for in June which would have had around half a million viewers where it was supposed to be broadcast has just been sent into the oblivion like a film going straight to video.
I have just been told it's being shown only on mobile phones. Now I had no idea that TV streaming on mobiles was any more than selections of existing programmes, but no, it seems they now make programmes exclusively for them.

Having never seen TV on a mobile (and not knowing the cost of providing it, which I would imagine would amount to a second rental) I would think it's pretty likely no one in the country will ever see our filming, and though the crew couldn't care less as they get paid whatever happens, I didn't and have now spent an evening being filmed for absolutely nothing. I did leave a message with the company asking if there was any chance they'd ever put it on TV but am awaiting a reply, and even then if there was it would be exceptional. I should be on again in the new year but from past experience if you're in the channels that no one knows about (the previous one wasn't even advertised except a chance preview in The Times) and the main market for the second channel is in America and Canada, though I have no idea how many people watch Mystery Hunters there (does anyone know it or watch it?).

So I have learnt another lesson on my path to fame, there are rocks on it, sometimes big ones. But now I know if it does come I'll never take it for granted.

#306997 - Tue Aug 22 2006 10:02 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

I am really sorry to hear that, David. But you know that if you've had chances before, more will eventually come along. Just try and re-assign this one into the 'dress rehearsal' catagory and attempt to be patient toward the next one. Easy for me to say, obviously - but I'm just offering suggestions to help preserve your sanity.

#306998 - Tue Aug 22 2006 09:08 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
I guess in a way...my high for tomorrow is I don't have to go to work. After the last 15 days added up to over 135 hours just at work, I need a day to relax...nice thing is I'm getting two (in a row too).

Next week will be sketchy at best as all of the general managers will be in Nashville, TN. With all the stores short on managers anyway, it makes for an interesting situation at best.

Another high is while the GM's and area manager are in Tennessee, I have been selected by my area manager as the "on-point" person. If there is a problem, the store is to call me. If I cannot rectify the situation, then I move it on to the regional admin. After 5 years, I highly doubt (but anything is possible) that I will need the regional admin, but I have her in case.

#306999 - Wed Aug 30 2006 08:13 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

My obstetrician friend Bruce Pichoff drew his last breath day before yesterday. The last time I talked with him, he stood looking through one of his bookcases, still smiling slightly - even though he was racked with pain and weary from his five year battle with lymphoma. Minutes before, he had examined my daughter's hand for broken bones after said hand was accidentally caught in the car door by his own teenager. This man, rather than withdrawing into himself was still alive, interacting with the community, spending time with his four teenaged daughters [ who were crazy about him] still feebly overseeing the Neonatal Obstetrics Department he created at the regional medical center here in Springdale.It was his goal to keep high risk babies here in NW Arkansas where they could be near their homes and families .

He personally saved many of these children ove rthe years, and I have seen him cry over the ones he couldn't save.
He patiently and tenaciously fought the same cancer which killed his father and grandfather, still showing up at the hospital, nauseous from the chemo treatments and bone marrow proceedures. He volunteered at church, still did volunteer stuff around town when he was up to the task. He never gave up till the last moment of his life and has to be the most amazing human I've ever known.
Rest in peace, Bruce. We were fortunate to have you visit here for the last incredibly productive 49 years.

#307000 - Wed Aug 30 2006 10:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

It sounds as if he was a very nice, and important person, Kate. Thinking of his family
Highlight of the last few days, is signing up for my college course again, which begins in three weeks two weeks time

#307001 - Wed Aug 30 2006 11:10 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Yay, Jane ! How I envy all you "Back-To-Schoolers"! And I mean that 100%. The noise of it, the information shared back and forth, the stress over tests and all. Every bit of it is terrific.
And for your friend, dear Kate. We've already talked about it (sorta) but it can be soundly agreed that he accomplished SO much more in an interrupted life than most of us do in a long and otherwise defined one. My hat remains off. "Legacy" isn't just a 'tribute word'. It doesn't mean a thing unless we remember and know those who defined it. But, I suppose, then they become "legacies". Either/or, your friend deserves both titles.

#307002 - Wed Aug 30 2006 11:30 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Jane, it's so admirable that you are headed back to school. Hats off to the lady from NW England - may you have great success in all you do there.

#307003 - Wed Aug 30 2006 12:16 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

It's only one morning a week, but it is a chance to learn things. ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) is extremely handy, when you apply for a job, and I am on the advanced module (the Excel part of it. Then there is only one more module to do. Probably taking me another eighteen months! ). I will never apply for a job, but it is something to aim for, and to further myself.

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943