Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#307158 - Wed May 10 2006 07:42 AM a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
DrBobWill Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WA vet home Retsil, WA, USA
hi quiz folks
here is a cut and paste from an item posted on our team's message board, it is one of several comments about this idea.

"BTW, I really liked Paul's idea to create a quiz together (I forgot in which thread it was).
For example: Why don't we write a quiz on the countries we all come from? Sweden, Estonia, Netherlands, Italy, Australia, Ghana, Philippines, Puerto Rico etc, and for the Americans, quizzes on their specific states. So we would make researches and would know more about our locations. The "natives" would then co-ordinate and check the quizzes."

please take a look at this idea and
1)tell us if this is ok with the rules here;

2)has it been done before and how did that work?

3) any ideas or suggestions for giving us an idea or three?

4) the person that i quoted had looked into writing a quiz but was unable to because the month she would have had to wait for to qualify to write a quiz is now very much in the past so unless she has a time machine i know nothing about, it might be rather difficult for her to pursue quiz making--is there a person she can write that can help her with this awkward problem?

5) thanks for any help, assistance, guidance, counseling, whatever you can provide us. we will be most grateful.

#307159 - Wed May 10 2006 09:13 AM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
Doc,

There is no problem doing a collaborative quiz, but obviously it would have to be 'attached' to just one person. The Quiz Makers Guild group have done it before, very successfully.

The quiz category would depend on the type of questions- 'Geography:Where On Earth' might fit.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#307160 - Wed May 10 2006 11:28 AM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
The Guild was primarily formed as a writers' group so, we thought it appropriate to begin to do group quizzes awhile back. We take turns hosting those quizzes in addition to doing our own, but the group was created precisely to share ideas and techniques on quiz writing, not to participate in the Global Challenge or daily quiz. That came later.

If you look around for the Guild quizzes, they are always clearly labeled and credit is given to each author of individual questions. Sometimes the 'host' of that quiz writes a scenario or puts the question's author's name in the question, other times they are credited in the question.

We have two quizzes in World Places on precisely that theme.
There are now ten Guild quizzes hosted by our members.

If you do a search with the word Guild, you'll see them.
It's rather odd that you hadn't noticed them as they are doing, um, rather well.

#307161 - Wed May 10 2006 01:13 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
pu2-ke-qi-ri Offline
Explorer

Loc: Austin Texas USA
I would highly recommend that everyone involved in writing the group quiz-- the compiler(s) and question-writers-- have prior quizwriting experience. Any difficulties involved in writing a "normal" quiz are sure to turn up in a group quiz, and there are some challenges in writing a group quiz that are above and beyond what one would encounter in writing a normal quiz.

#307162 - Wed May 10 2006 01:35 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
As an editor, I would second pu2's remarks, strongly. The compiler, especially - the person whose name the quiz will be submitted under - must have prior experience at getting quizzes online. Otherwise, the editing process could become very awkward.
I'd take a look at the Guild quizzes, to get an idea of different approaches that you might try. I believe that Gatsby and Linkan (was it?) also made a couple of collaborative quizzes that you might want to look at.

#307163 - Wed May 10 2006 01:54 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

There are now ten Guild quizzes hosted by our members

Surely we have done more than that, haven't we? Four were submitted under my name, have we only done six others?

Edited by Leau (Wed May 10 2006 01:55 PM)

#307164 - Wed May 10 2006 02:16 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
No, there are at least eleven if you type in the word "Guild" for the search. I remember another one that Nannanut edited about animals. So that's twelve I can think of. Leau, yours were the first few ones that we did, if I remember correctly.

Editor: World and General

#307165 - Wed May 10 2006 03:36 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm sorry! I just did a quick search via Guild! Oh no, maybe they'll disguild me.

#307166 - Wed May 10 2006 05:20 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
gretas Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northern Maine, USA
We did "Guild-Y American Places" under my name, and every time I look at its red sunglasses, I think of the wonderful time we had putting it together. I've never been the narrator of one of our quizzes, only the editor and submitter (sic), but those who have strung the questions together have done an amazing job because they have managed to create a story line, a very tricky thing to do and something not to be attempted by anyone without a strong sense of who the participating members are. We create our group quizzes for fun, and out of a sense of enjoyment for one another's work, and it's that sense of fun and enjoyment that has made them successful. It's "fun" trivia, after all, i'n it?

#307167 - Wed May 10 2006 07:46 PM Re: a team JOINT quiz--is this ok? how do? etc.
DrBobWill Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WA vet home Retsil, WA, USA
thank you so much all
i will need to come back to really take it all in (not feeling so good right this second) but i do want to emphasize how appreciative i am of your helpfulness.

Moderator:  agony