Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#312074 - Fri Jul 28 2006 03:54 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I read a lot, so this week's subject is authors I love.
1. Name a dashing hero in Jane Austen's work.
2. Name one of the seven sons of Kristin Lavransdatter in the books by Sigrid Undset web page (If you need help)
3. Name one of the characters written of by A A Milne.
4. Name a child with a tragic life as told by Dickens.
5 Name a comic character in any play by Shakespeare.
Help available if needed.

Edited by ren33 (Fri Jul 28 2006 04:45 PM)

#312075 - Fri Jul 28 2006 04:50 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Round 28

No dazzling questions today but I am pleased to announce that they are posted on time.

1) The 2006 mens World Basketball Championships are being held in Japan beginning in August. Please give me the name of a country from Group B.
2) Michael Palin's Travels involves six journeys. Please give me the name of an African country visited in his "Sahara" journey.
3) Jake Grafton is a character created by the American author Stephen Coonts. Please give me the title of a book from the Jake Grafton series.
4) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site in Sri Lanka.
5) Fun Trivia Forums held a 2006 World Cup football/soccer tipping competition. Please give me the name of someone who finished in the top 10.

#312076 - Fri Jul 28 2006 04:46 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

I have put a reference to help with Q2 in Round 27 if you need it.

#312077 - Sat Jul 29 2006 12:47 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 24 - 8 players!

1. Actor Don Johnson [likely best remembered for the series Miami Vice] made a few appeareances on TV shows prior to that. Name a series (not a TV movie, mini-series or talk/variety show) that Mr. Johnson showed up in during the 1970s.

For 10 points:
"Sarge", "The American Girls".
For 5 points:
"The Rookies" (3), "Barnaby Jones" (2).

One answer, "Law of the Land", was a TV movie and I never heard back from the player so it was counted as incorrect. Note: had the answer been corrected the winning scores would not have been affected, anyway...

2. The rowdy Southern band 'Black Oak Arkansas' released an album in 1973 called "High on the Hog". Pick a track from it, please.

For 10 points:
Jim Dandy, Swimmin' in Quicksand, Movin', Mad Man.
For 5 points:
Moonshine Sonata (4).

3. The "P.U.-litzer Prizes" are a tongue-in-cheek award given annually recognizing the 'stinkiest media performances of the year'. Name a category [not the people who won one] for 2005.

For 10 points:
'All the President's Man' Prize, 'Put Them in Chains' Award, 'First Do Some Harm', 'Outsourced to the Pentagon' Award, 'Mickey Mouse Journalism' Prize.
For 5 points:
'Prime Slime News' Award (3).

4. Poet Walt Whitman ("Leaves of Grass") had several siblings growing up. Pick one of his brothers or sisters.

For 10 points:
Andrew, Mary.
For 5 points:
Jesse (3), Thomas [or "Jeff"] (3).

5. Choose one of the 7 most valuable collectible Baseball Cards (according to the National Baseball Hall of Fame ~ but the lists all seem to match whichever source names them).

For 10 points:
Eddie Planck, Sherry Magie.
For 5 points:
Napoleon Lajoie (2), Honus Wagner (2), Mickey Mantle (2).

The Honus Wagner card, incidentally, recently sold on Ebay for $1.265 million. Yikes indeed.

The Results!

ren33, srini701....both 40 points!
cinnamOn, Howie72, Mugaboo....each 35 points!
glamel, Kuu....both 30 points!
physalius....25 points!

A fine Round played by all and loud and rowdy 'congrats' to the two winners ren33 and srini701 !

#312078 - Sat Jul 29 2006 02:43 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
July 29 / Round 29

1. Name me of a Tomato disease.
2. Give me a domain name that gives a link to funtrivia.com (Please give me the URL, I'll take the domain from that. I won't allow links from search engines, sites with adult content, or your own site.)
3. Name one of the eight physiographic regions (or Altitude Zones) of Peru.
4. Name something you could either eat or drink, mentioned in the poem "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" by Robert Browning.
5. Do Detectives Think ? (1927) is condidered the first film that Laurel and Hardy appeared as a double act with their trademark hats and Stan's hair (Which he had shaved off a few weeks before, and refused to grow back properly). Tell me of a film that both Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy appeared in before this.

Round will close Thursday, help available if required.

#312079 - Sat Jul 29 2006 09:39 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 22 results

1. On this date in 1796, surveyors of the Connecticut Land Company name an area of Ohio "Cleveland" after Gen. Moses Cleaveland, the superintendent of the surveying party. Name another city named for a person, and include the person's name in your answer.

10 points for everyone on this one! Adelaide (AUS - Queen Adelaide), Pittsburgh, PA (USA - William Pitt), Darwin (AUS - Charles Darwin), Hobart (AUS - Robert Hobart), Austin (USA - Stephen Austin), Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea - Admiral Sir Fairfax Moresby), Ogden, UT (USA - Peter Skene Ogden), Vancouver (CAN - Captain George Vancouver), Lazaro Cardenas (MEX - Larzaro Cardenas del Rio), Columbus, OH (USA - Christopher Columbus), Stellenboch (S. Africa - Simon vander Stellenboch)

2. On this date in 1947, Don Henley was born. Give me a song on his album entitled, "Actual Miles: Henley's Greatest Hits."

10 points - The Last Worthless Evening, Dirty Laundry, All She Wants to Do Is Dance, New York Minute

5 points - The Garden of Allah (3), I Will Not Go Quietly (2), The Boys of Summer (2)

3. On this date in 1940, Alex Trebek, of Jeopardy fame, was born. Give me a TV show which he appeared in as himself.

10 points - Ned & Stacey, Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Double Dare, The Simpsons, Live From the Hollywood Bowl, Blossom, Ladies' Man, The Nanny, Cheers

5 points - Baywatch (2)

4. Name a Catholic saint whose feast day is July 22.

10 points - St. Cyril of Antioch, Pancharius of Besancon, St. Meneleus, St. Dabius, St. Mineve

5 points - St. Mary Magdelene (4), St. Movean (2)

5. The British Open Golf Tournament is going on this week. Name someone who qualified for the tournament whose last name begins with the letter "W."

10 points - Lee Westwood, Tiger Woods, Tom Watson, Mike Weir, Anthony Wall

5 points - Thawan Wiratchant (3), Ross Wellington (2)

I had an incorrect answer on this one (Wayne Perske), but like Gats, I never heard back so this one will not be counted. Final points aren't affected.

Speaking of final points, here they are!
2 PERFECT scores! gatsby722 and LeoDaVinci
45 points - vogon
40 points - renn33, glamel, Mugaboo, Howie72

35 points - Srini701, Kuu, ainenei
30 points - physalius

Thanks to everyone for playing!

Edited by cinnam0n (Sat Jul 29 2006 09:41 AM)

#312080 - Tue Aug 01 2006 03:04 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
And now for a rather sped-together Round 31 !

1. AOL listed the "Top 100 'Wussiest' [their adjective ~ NOT mine ] Songs of All Time". "Shiny Happy People" by REM was #1 but I'm looking for another tune they picked that was in the Top 10.
2. Name a state in the USA that has a city named Daisy (no more than that one word) in it, bitte!
3. Please choose the name of a character played by Sissy Spacek that earned her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role...
4. A TV special called "The Good Old Days of Radio" aired in 1976 and was hosted by Steve Allen. Please take a moment and tell me the name of a guest on that show (an actual person, not just a voice - and not Steve Allen ).
5. I have been known to spend a little time on The Chain Games here in the FT Forums. OK, OK. I log in more hours there than Mr. Bush does in the Oval Office *sigh*. Anyway, pick an active Chain Game that is currently at 'Part 10' or higher.

If any questions arise feel free to contact me. This'll close up Thursday or Friday.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Aug 01 2006 03:08 AM)

#312081 - Tue Aug 01 2006 04:21 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Roll up roll up! Closing 27 in 12 hours.

#312082 - Wed Aug 02 2006 05:38 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Right. Here goes with the long awaited results, I won't keep you in suspense any more.
A very close run round and thanks all TEN of you.
1. Name a dashing hero in Jane Austen's work.
For Ten

Frederick Wentworth, Mr Knightley, Edmund Burtram,Mr (yum) Darcy
For Five
Henry Tilney(6!)

2. Name one of the seven sons of Kristin Lavransdatter in the books by Sigrid Undset
For Ten
Lavrans, Orm, Bjorgulf
For Five
Ivar(2), Skule(2), Gaute(3)
3. Name one of the characters written of by A A Milne.
For Ten
Pinkle Purr, Tigger, Christopher Robin, Mr Pim, Kanga, Eeyore, Tony Gillingham, Chloe Marr
For Five
Owl(2)
4. Name a child with a tragic life as told by Dickens.
For Ten
Louisa Gradgrind, Paul Dombey, Sydney Carton,Smike, Nicholas Nickleby,David Copperfield
For Five
Oliver twist (4)
5 Name a comic character in any play by Shakespeare.
This was hard to score, as one or two, I did not feel were truly 'comic' characters Anyway, it did not make much difference to the score .So :
For Ten
Cloten, Berowne,Launce,Puck,Sir Andrew Aguecheek, Launcelot Gobbo, Jaques, Rosalind
For Five Bottom (2)
Tops with 45 points
Gatsby,Srinii 701, and Physalius
Next with 40
JaneM, LeodaV, Howie,MaggieG, and Glamel
and with 35
CinnamOn, and Mugaboo.
Once again, thanks and congrats to the winners.

#312083 - Wed Aug 02 2006 06:49 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 26 questions

1. The name of a character from the movie Cars (2006).

2. A word of at least 4 letters from A-U-T-O-M-O-B-I-L-E.

3. An automobile manufacturer (past or present).

4. A car part.

5. A song from The Cars' self-titled album from 1978.

#312084 - Fri Aug 04 2006 03:35 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 29 - 8 played

1. Name me of a Tomato disease.
For 10 points: Alternaria stem canker; Bacterial wilt; Blossom end rot; Foot and root rot; Mosaic virus; Syringae leaf spot;
For 5 points: Buckeye Rot [2]

2. Give me a domain name that gives a link to funtrivia.com
For 10 points: agapechristiansearch.com; alexa.com; apahcinc.com; childrencanada.com; bored.com; christophercornelius.com; thequizblogger.blogspot.com; Wikipedia.com
For 5 points: (None)

3. Name one of the eight physiographic regions (or Altitude Zones) of Peru.
For 10 points: Puna; Rupa-Rupa (or High Jungle)
For 5 points: Quechua [2] Janca or Cordillera [3]
Not allowed: Wayllabamba (Town in Peru - in the Quechua zone)
Not mentioned: Chala (or Coast); Yunga; Suni (or Jalca); Omagua (or Low Jungle)

4. Name something you could either eat or drink, mentioned in the poem "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" by Robert Browning.
For 10 points: Butter; Moselle; Pottage
For 5 points: Oyster [2] Salted Sprats [3]
Not mentioned: Cheese; Pickle; Conserve; Sugar; Claret; Vin-de-Grave; Hock; Rhenish; Water

5. Do Detectives Think? (1927) is condidered the first film that Laurel and Hardy appeared as a double act with their trademark hats and Stan's hair. Tell me of a film that both Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy appeared in before this.
For 10 points: 45 Minutes From Hollywood; Duck Soup; Now I'll Tell One; Slipping Wives
For 5 points: Lucky Dog [4]
Not mentioned: Love 'em And Weep; Why Girls Love Sailors; With Love And Hisses; Sugar Daddies; Sailors, Beware; The Second Hundred Years; Call Of The Cuckoos; Hats Off

Scores:
45 points: LeoDaVinci; Renn33
40 points: Srini701; Cinnam0n
35 point: Physalius; Gatsby722; Glamel; MaggieG

Well done to both our winners.

#312085 - Fri Aug 04 2006 03:49 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Closing up Round 31 in app. 12 hours. Once again, a rather staggering number of players so far . Five?
Better than none, I reckon...

#312086 - Fri Aug 04 2006 02:27 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 28 will be closing when I get back from football/soccer. Could be in 6 1/2 hours but then again it could be longer.

#312087 - Fri Aug 04 2006 11:57 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 28 is closed and results will be posted shortly.

#312088 - Sat Aug 05 2006 12:41 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

There will be a delay until the results are posted as I have to double check an answer with one player.

#312089 - Sat Aug 05 2006 02:54 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 31
6 hearty participants !

1. AOL listed the "Top 100 'Wussiest' [their adjective ~ NOT mine ] Songs of All Time". "Shiny Happy People" by REM was #1 but I'm looking for another tune they picked that was in the Top 10.

For 10 points:
"Ben" by Michael Jackson, "What's Left of Me?" by Nick Lachey, "Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill, "Longer" by Dan Fogelberg.
For 5 points:
"If" by Bread (2).

While I disagreed with Bread and Fogelberg being on the list (c'mon now, they never professed to be biker dude singers ) I think the ones already mentioned and the likes of Culture Club, James Blunt, etc. deserved a mention. Poison? Well, no comment there...

2. Name a state in the USA that has a city named Daisy (no more than that one word) in it, bitte!

For 10 points:
Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Missouri.
For 5 points:
Arkansas (2).

There were 8 other states not mentioned (maybe more).

3. Please choose the name of a character played by Sissy Spacek that earned her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role...

For 10 points:
Ruth Fowler (In the Bedroom), Mae Garvey (The River).
For 5 points:
Loretta Webb Lynn (Coal Miner's Daughter) (2), Carrie White (Carrie) (2).

She was also nominated for Crimes of the Heart and Missing.

4. A TV special called "The Good Old Days of Radio" aired in 1976 and was hosted by Steve Allen. Please take a moment and tell me the name of a guest on that show (an actual person, not just a voice - and not Steve Allen).

For 10 points:
Jim Jordan, Marvin Miller, Edgar Bergen, George Fenneman.
For 5 points:
Art Linkletter (2).

5. I have been known to spend a little time on The Chain Games here in the FT Forums. OK, OK. I log in more hours there than Mr. Bush does in the Oval Office *sigh*. Anyway, pick an active Chain Game that is currently at 'Part 10' or higher.

For 10 points:
Baker's Dozen (TV), All About Movies, Keep One/Drop One.
For 5 Points:
Baker's Dozen (Food) (3).

The Results!

Mugaboo...45 points!
glamel, Howie72, MaggieG...40 points!
cinnamOn, ren33...35 points!

Well done to all and a tip of the congratulatory hat to Mugaboo for earning a monthly point for this Round!

#312090 - Sat Aug 05 2006 02:25 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 28 Results

We had a good turnout for this round--10 wonderful participants.

1) The 2006 mens World Basketball Championships are being held in Japan beginning in August. Please give me the name of a country from Group B.
10 Points: Angola, Japan
5 Points: Germany (3), New Zealand (3), Panama (2)
Not Mentioned: All mentioned

2) Michael Palin's Travels involves six journeys. Please give me the name of an African country visited in his "Sahara" journey.
10 Points: Algeria, Western Sahara, Senegal
5 Points: Morocco (2), Mali (3), Niger (2)
Not Mentioned: Mauritania, Libya, Tunisia

3) Jake Grafton is a character created by the American author Stephen Coonts. Please give me the title of a book from the Jake Grafton series.
10 Points: "The Minotaur", "The Intruders", "Cuba"
5 Points: "Under Siege" (2), "The Red Horseman" (2), "Hong Kong" (3)
Not Mentioned: "Flight of the Intruder", "Final Flight", "America", "Liberty", "Liars and Thieves" aka "Wages of Sin", "The Traitor" aka "Traitor"

4) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site in Sri Lanka.
10 Points: Ancient City of Polonnaruwa, Sacred City of Anuradhapura, Sinharaja Forest Reserve, Golden Temple of Dambulla
5 points: Ancient City of Sigiriya (4), Sacred City of Kandy (2)
Not Mentioned: Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications

5) Fun Trivia Forums held a 2006 World Cup football/soccer tipping competition. Please give me the name of someone who finished in the top 10.
10 Points: LeoDaVinci, ekaterina, Blinkybill, Sypher, PaulE
5 Points: Howie72 (3), ElfTwinkle (2)
Not Mentioned: halfbakedangi, ozzz2002, jillgeo5

I was wondering if anyone would be brave enough to send me a certain answer for question 5 in the hope of gaining bonus points.

Anyway, on to what you have all been waiting for:

40 points - LeoDaVinci
35 points - Gatsby, Cinnam0n, Mugaboo, Physalius, Maggie
30 points - Ren, Vogon, Srini, Glamel

Congratulations to LeoDaVinci who broke a three-way tie after four questions to win this round.

Thank you to all that played this round and I hope to see you back next time.

#312091 - Sun Aug 06 2006 04:32 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hey, I could've picked you for the WC2K6 tipping comp as the winner, but it was so much better going with me as the runner-up!

#312092 - Mon Aug 07 2006 06:29 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 26 results - 9 players

Q1. The name of a character in Cars (2006).

10 points: Flo, Sarge, Luigi, Chick Hicks, Fillmore

5 points: Guido (2), Sheriff (2)

not mentioned: Doc Hudson, Mater, Ramone, Sally Carrera

Q2. A word of at least 4 letters from A-U-T-O-M-O-B-I-L-E.

10 points: lobe, bloat, lamb, bail, mobile

5 points: tumble (2), balm (2)

not mentioned: tomb, moot, bout, lout, beat, team, moat

Q3. An automobile manufacturer (past or present).

10 points: Hispano-Suiza, Hudson Motor Car Co, De Lorean Motor Co, Nissan, Subaru, Oldsmobile, Suzuki Motor Corp, Lamborghini, PSA Peugeot Citroen

Q4. A car part.

10 points: windscreen wiper, differential, oil switch, door, head gasket, headlight, windshield, odometer, emissions control devices

Q5. A song from The Cars' self-titled album from 1978.

10 points: I'm in touch with your world, Bye Bye Love, My Best Friend's Girl

5 points: Don't Cha Stop (2), All Mixed Up (2), Good Times Roll (2)

not mentioned: Just what I needed, You're all I've got tonight, Moving in Stereo

SCORES

50 - Jimjih, Mugaboo
45 - Ren, Physalius
40 - Gatsby, Maggie, Cinnam0n
35 - Glamel, Leodavinci

Thanks for playing everyone, and a point to each of our winners with perfect scores, Jim & Mugaboo

#312093 - Tue Aug 08 2006 01:17 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
July Results!
Ren 10
Leo 6
CinnamOn 5
Gatsby 5
Mugaboo 5

glamel 4
Srini 3
Howie 2
MaggieG 2
Princess007 2

Ainenei 1
elskede 1
Jimjih 1
Jimjih 1
Physalius 1
vogon 1

Well done to... Ren

#312094 - Tue Aug 08 2006 08:24 AM Re: July Trivia Rounds
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I guess the cheque really did arrive in the mail!

#312095 - Tue Aug 08 2006 03:21 PM Re: July Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

LOL!!!! I wondered who would comment.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ozzz2002