Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#319129 - Wed Aug 23 2006 02:43 AM Create quiz on team members?
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Might sound a funny and vague request, but I just wanted to know if we can create a quiz on our team members.

I mean a quiz that is ABOUT the team members based on their location, their style of posting on the message board, their age so on so forth.

Very "team" specific and might not have too many takers (except the 70 odd members of our team ), so IF I am allowed to create one such quiz, where (in which category) do I place it?

Hope some quiz editor or admin will respond to what even I feel is a strange question. Perfectly fine if you all think such a thing is not to be allowed

--srini701

#319130 - Wed Aug 23 2006 03:01 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
Actually, not so funny or odd because I think someone is putting a quiz together on another team about that team's members. We might have to create a sub-category for them somewhere if there isn't one already. Maybe crisw or gtho4 can make a call on that.

#319131 - Wed Aug 23 2006 03:51 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quizzes on FT members are not allowed. We've had similar requests in the past.

The quiz that McGruff is talking about is more along the lines of "Pete lives in London. London is the capital of which country?". Obviously the questions are not that easy, but they're not about the members themselves. The info about the team members is merely used as an intro to each question.

#319132 - Wed Aug 23 2006 04:03 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
McGruff Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Northumberland Virginia USA 
That is correct. My question was actually about the Civil War, not about me personally, as I live near one of the major battlefields.

#319133 - Wed Aug 23 2006 07:00 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
We have several 'team' quizzes online - the Quizmaker's Guild has been making them for some time, and there are also lots of two member 'duets'. Ozzz and Gruff are right, though - the questions must be about general trivia, not the members themselves. The reason for this is that time goes on, and members come and go. Five years from now, such a quiz (based on personal questions) would be unplayable. Even right now, the focus would be too narrow.

#319134 - Wed Aug 23 2006 07:02 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
gtho4 Online   FT-blank
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
If you have to ask whether or not a quiz is acceptable, 9 times out of 10 it isn't

Two examples:
  • a parent submitted a quiz about a school sports carnival; the students were 9 years old. This one was 5 or 6 years ago.
  • a student submitted a quiz about her friends and teachers at school. This one was about 4 years ago.

#319135 - Wed Aug 23 2006 07:52 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    Leau Offline
    Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
    Quote:

Ozzz and Gruff are right, though

Wrong koala. That was me.

#319136 - Wed Aug 23 2006 01:42 PM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
    Quote:

• a student submitted a quiz about her friends and teachers at school. This one was about 4 years ago.

• We've had many more than this one submission!

And just a word of caution anyway - besides being not too relevant for many players, these types of quizzes give out a bit too much personal information.

(One of my favourite 'personal' type quizzes was a quiz for a middle or high school production of "Annie". Unfortunately, only about 10 people would know what Joey did backstage during one of the rehearsals, and probably only two of those people actually look at this site, so we didn't allow the quiz.)

Editor for Television Category

#319137 - Wed Aug 23 2006 01:47 PM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
    Oh, jeez, it was the wrong koala! Can't believe I did that, sorry Leau. Goes to show how carefully I read things.

#319138 - Thu Aug 24 2006 05:44 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    srini701 Offline
    Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
    Ok. Got it. Thank you all for your valuable suggestions and advice.

Matter closed I guess.

--srini

#319139 - Thu Aug 24 2006 11:41 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    Terry Offline
    Head Honcho

Loc: USA
    Might be best if we have a separate category for these questions, so that questions don't creep into places like the global challenge.

#319140 - Fri Aug 25 2006 08:15 AM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    supersal1 Offline
    Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
    When I put together the Joliettes quiz I made sure it kept to the general rules for making a quiz. All of the questions would stand independently and it's a fairly mixed general knowledge quiz.

#319141 - Fri Aug 25 2006 05:05 PM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    gtho4 Online   FT-blank
    Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
    I think Terry's alluding to this - using Leau's example above:
      when the question "Pete lives in London. London is the capital of which country?" comes up in the GC, quizplayers will ask themselves Who's Peter?, and what does that have to do with the question,

and when they look at the quiz title they'll then ask themselves Who or what are the Jolliettes? (for example, or whatever is the team's name), and how does that relate to the question?
    The question is aok in the quiz itself when the payer reads the quiz intro, but it doesn't stand alone in the GC (as the quiz intro is not part of the GC).

Authors have been granted a some latitude and poetic license with their quizzes .. maybe we should revisit this.

#319142 - Fri Aug 25 2006 05:37 PM Re: Create quiz on team members?
    bracklaman Offline
    Forum Adept

Loc: Wales UK
    I think I understand the point being made but I would make a plea for retaining some of the 'theme' or contextual integrity of the individual quiz itself.

The current driver seems to be, if I've correctly understood the positions taken so far, is that all questions should be have the ability to stand alone in the GC or other derived quiz.

If we go too far down this road we may be faced with limits imposed on say the length of the question or other stylistic impediments which may well cramp the style or otherwise discourage those of us who seek fresh approaches to posing the question.

I enjoy what we have and wouldn't like to see it change too much. I acknowledge the need for your foresight though and respect this is a difficult area.

Moderator:  agony